• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Space images thread

In this self-portrait from 2018, Curiosity sits atop Vera Rubin Ridge, which the rover had been investigating. Directly behind the rover is the start of a clay-rich slope scientists are eager to begin exploring.

Clustered at the center of this image are 6 luminous spots of light, four of them forming a circle around a central pair. Appearances can be deceiving, however, as this formation is not composed of 6 individual galaxies, but only 3: to be precise, a pair of galaxies and one distant quasar. Hubble data also indicates that there is a 7th spot of light in the very center, which is a rare 5th image of the distant quasar. This rare phenomenon is caused by the presence of two galaxies in the foreground that act as a lens.

Known as NGC 6523 or the Lagoon Nebula, M8 is a giant cloud of gas and dust where stars are born. At ~4000 ly from Earth, M8 provides astronomers an excellent opportunity to study the properties of very young stars. Many infant stars give off copious amounts of high-energy light including X-rays, which are seen in the Chandra data (pink). The X-ray data have been combined with an optical image of M8 from the Mt. Lemmon Sky Center in Arizona (blue and white).

In this 30-second exposure, a meteor streaks across the sky during the annual Perseid meteor shower, Wednesday, Aug. 11, 2021, as seen from Spruce Knob, West Virginia.

This infrared view of Jupiter’s icy moon Ganymede was obtained by the Jovian Infrared Auroral Mapper (JIRAM) instrument aboard NASA’s Juno spacecraft during its July 20, 2021, flyby.

This jewel-bright image from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope shows NGC 1385, a spiral galaxy 68 million ly away from Earth, which lies in the constellation Fornax.

Dark lines criss-cross the Chilean sky at ESO’s Paranal Observatory, making the brightest region of the Milky Way play hide-and-seek with ESO’s VISTA telescope.

ISS was orbiting 263 miles above the southeast coast of Brazil on the Atlantic Ocean into an orbital sunrise when this photograph was taken.

Galaxies and dark matter go together like peanut butter and jelly. Rarely is one without the other, but a recently discovered galaxy called NGC 1052-DF2 is nearly entirely lacking in dark matter.

How does a fish see the Milky Way? We can get a pretty good idea thanks to this picture of our galaxy, taken with a fisheye lens from the entrance of the Paranal Residencia at the Paranal Observatory’s Base Camp, located 3 km away from ESO’s Very Large Telescope.

This series of images captured on Aug. 22, 2021, shows asteroid 2016 AJ193 rotate as it was observed by Goldstone’s 70-m antenna. 1.3-km wide object was the 1001st near-Earth asteroid to be measured by planetary radar since 1968.

Eclipsed Moon at Paranal​

Globular cluster NGC 6717 lies > 20k ly from us in the constellation Sagittarius.
Globular clusters contain more stars in their centers than their outer fringes, as this image aptly demonstrates; the sparsely populated edges of NGC 6717 are in stark contrast to the sparkling collection of stars at its center.

Brilliant, Hot, Young Stars Shine in the Small Magellanic Cloud​

The Small Magellanic Cloud located 210k ly away, is one of the most dynamic and intricately detailed star-forming regions in space. At the center of the region is a brilliant star cluster called NGC 346. A dramatic structure of arched, ragged filaments with a distinct ridge surrounds the cluster.

Hurricane Ida As a Category 4 Storm​

AG Carinae — puffing dust bubbles and an erupting gas shell — the final acts of a monster star.

Northern and Southern Hemisphere at once — the whole night’s sky in one mind-bending image — something that would be impossible to see in real life.
To create this image, photographers Petr Horálek and Juan Carlos Casado took two pictures at observatories located at the same latitudes in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10

Another aurora but this one is special as it is so bright. It is the full Moon lighting up the shadow side of Earth almost like daylight.
Credits: ESA/NASA–T. Pesquet
550N3468

original here

This happened;
Scott Manley did a video that was very informative.
That is one big boom! I feel bad for the peoples of Tonga...
There is a GoFundMe page for disaster relief.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
When astronomers inspected NGC 7172 across the electromagnetic spectrum they quickly discovered that there was more to it than meets the eye: NGC 7172 is a Seyfert galaxy – a type of galaxy with an intensely luminous active galactic nucleus powered by matter accreting onto a supermassive black hole.

On video:

System Name Annihilator
Processor 5800X
Motherboard MSI x570 Gaming Plus
Cooling ID-COOLING FrostFlow X 240
Memory 32GB TForce Xtreem White
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 7800XT Steel Legend
Storage NVME Gen-3 1 TB, 2 TB SSD
Display(s) 32" 144Hz 2k + 34" UW 2k
Case Kediers C-580
Audio Device(s) Sony 5.1 Home Theater
Power Supply TT 850W True Power
Mouse EVGA x20
Keyboard EVGA Z15 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Winbdows 11
Benchmark Scores 13,797 with AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT(1x) and AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on FireStrike Ultra
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Amazing images in this thread, and I downloaded a bunch to use with my desktop background changer.

To contribute, I recently downloaded 73 images from the Webb Space Images website, and created a very simple web page to view and download them. Clicking any image will load a 1280x720 version in a new page, which you can save by right-clicking. There is also a link to download a 72 MB zip file that contains all the images displayed.

Download Webb Telescope Images
Not intentially trying to be rude but I'm not downloading any content from a brandnew (unknown to us/the forum) user, esp with all the hacker bullshit going on these days.

Would be better if you simply posted a few images like the rest have already, self included.

Not intentially trying to be rude but I'm not downloading any content from a brandnew (unknown to us/the forum) user, esp with all the hacker bullshit going on these days.

Would be better if you simply posted a few images like the rest have already, self included.
It's a safe site. Harmless PNG files.

Amazing images in this thread, and I downloaded a bunch to use with my desktop background changer.

To contribute, I recently downloaded 73 images from the Webb Space Images website, and created a very simple web page to view and download them. Clicking any image will load a 1280x720 version in a new page, which you can save by right-clicking. There is also a link to download a 72 MB zip file that contains all the images displayed.

Download Webb Telescope Images
Welcome to TPU!

Zieder

I never considered that, but yeah, there was a Webb image floating around that had a virus embedded in the image code. Oh well, people can just download them one at a time like I did!

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I never considered that, but yeah, there was a Webb image floating around that had a virus embedded in the image code. Oh well, people can just download them one at a time like I did!
TBH that's probrably the best way.
Again, too much hack-crap going around to blindly trust every and anything you see and that's why I said it.

And I'll also say this, a website with the name "Hummingbirdhealingcenter..whatever" doesn't do much to instill confidence in it's validity as a safe place.
For my part - Not going there.

Be careful out there.

Zieder

TBH that's probrably the best way.
Again, too much hack-crap going around to blindly trust every and anything you see and that's why I said it.

And I'll also say this, a website with the name "Hummingbirdhealingcenter..whatever" doesn't do much to instill confidence in it's validity as a safe place.
For my part - Not going there.

Be careful out there.
I deleted the post. Thanks for the feedback. It was an easy way to make it available as I had a similar page on the website. Rather naive of me, as I am very careful myself. I certainly will not do that again!

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I deleted the post. Thanks for the feedback. It was an easy way to make it available as I had a similar page on the website. Rather naive of me, as I am very careful myself. I certainly will not do that again!
No worries. Being a tech place, people are a little more wary than most heheh. I did check the links, and the 3 or 4 I clicked looked nice :) thanks for putting them up there! hang a while, there's tons of info in these threads!