• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Deck Owners Clubhouse

Do you plan to purchase a Steam Deck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Come on, man, Braid isn't that old. I bought it in... [checks Steam history]... :eek:

... 2009...

:laugh:

Mind downloading it and trying it on Steam Deck, just a few minutes of gameplay and I think you will see what i mean, it just suits the steam deck screen perfectly for some reason. the colors really pop too at about 70% brightness. The colors swirling look like an actual vivid painting on the Deck screen for some reason, better than on my nice monitor imo.

Download it on your Deck and report back, I am curious to see if I have lost my mind or not lol

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Steam Deck has been upgraded to Sabrent 1TB storage. It's awesome. Some of the most fun I have had in years, can't believe I dismissed it when it first launched.

I am considering changing the paste to Arctic MX-6, but I left it alone for now. I might in a few months, but temps are reading good so I probably just leave it along honestly. I really like being able to download the Epic Games Store on my steam deck, cause I have never downloaded it on Windows because well I don't trust that app on WIndows. On Steam Deck it can't really collect much info, so meh. Can finally play all those free games I been collecting every Thursday over at EGS, lol

My next project is downloading and getting GoG Galaxy and my GoG games to work on it. @lexluthermiester From youtube videos I have seen its not too hard. Crazy what the Steam Deck can do. Windows monopoly on games is officially over in my mind, honestly Valve knocked this one out of the park. I hope they keep improving it. Although to be completely honest, I really haven't had any issues at all so far. It's been a seamless experience. I love being able to play any game, hit the power button for instant sleep mode, and power button again and I am immediately where I left off. It's just fantastic, and it happens instantaneous.

My next project is downloading and getting GoG Galaxy and my GoG games to work on it. @lexluthermiester From youtube videos I have seen its not too hard.
I don't use Galaxy personally, but I regularly set it up for people. It's not difficult to use.

Windows monopoly on games is officially over in my mind, honestly Valve knocked this one out of the park.
In what way?

I can play everything I want on SteamOS now
To be fair, not everything works. But as an OS, it's come a LONG way! The Steamdeck has very serious limitations, but SteamOS installed on a desktop PC is a very reasonable experience. Been toying with it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard AORUS B450 ELITE
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
Memory DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 3000MHZ CAS15 / DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CAS 15
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750XT Reference Design
Storage 2.5 TB 2.5" SSD / 3 TB HDD
Display(s) ASUS 27" 165HZ VG27WQ / Vertical 16/10 iiyama 25" 75Hz ProLite XUB2595WSU-B1
Case be quiet! Dark Base 700 RGB
Audio Device(s) PSB Alpha P3 / LOXJIE A30 Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA
Mouse Cooler master MM720
Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
I love being able to play any game, hit the power button for instant sleep mode, and power button again and I am immediately where I left off. It's just fantastic, and it happens instantaneous.
I wasn't expecting a really similar experience from the nintendo switch wake, but i was surprised and it worked really well with emulators too.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I wasn't expecting a really similar experience from the nintendo switch wake, but i was surprised and it worked really well with emulators too.

yep it's wild how well it works.

what's your favorite game on the Deck so far that you have played? mine is probably Braid and My Friend Pedro, but Stardew Valley is up there.

Memory DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 3000MHZ CAS15 / DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CAS 15
Display(s) ASUS 27" 165HZ VG27WQ / Vertical 16/10 iiyama 25" 75Hz ProLite XUB2595WSU-B1
Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
yep it's wild how well it works.

what's your favorite game on the Deck so far that you have played? mine is probably Braid and My Friend Pedro, but Stardew Valley is up there.
I've actually played a lot of Breath of the Wilds, not a lot of steam game for now. I've installed hollow night, little nightmare and potionomics in case i want to play other game. I have other wii (super mario galaxy) and ps1 title too (Croc, rayman and sledtorm)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So, I tried a thing tonight. I have a Type-C to ethernet adapter for connecting LAN to PC, because on a previous build the LAN port didn't work so I bought this as a temporary solution.

I got to thinking... plug it into steam deck and see if I can download games faster...

yep, it works. Just downloaded God of War at 71 MB/s on Steam with the type c adapter and wifi turned off... ethernet only.

Insane... Steam Deck continues to impress me.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

So, I tried a thing tonight. I have a Type-C to ethernet adapter for connecting LAN to PC, because on a previous build the LAN port didn't work so I bought this as a temporary solution.

I got to thinking... plug it into steam deck and see if I can download games faster...

yep, it works. Just downloaded God of War at 71 MB/s on Steam with the type c adapter and wifi turned off... ethernet only.

Insane... Steam Deck continues to impress me.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
Plugged directly in or through a dock?

no... I plugged the type c directly into the steam deck and the ethernet cable into it, it worked automatically, switched over to ethernet vs wifi. really surprised me it worked lol I don't even own a dock

View attachment 292342
Do you have a dock for it? I ask because I helped a friend set his up so he could use it as a desktop at home with a keyboard, mouse and large display.
We got him the following;
SteamDeckDock01.jpg
He loves it!

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Do you have a dock for it? I ask because I helped a friend set his up so he could use it as a desktop at home with a keyboard, mouse and large display.
We got him the following;
View attachment 292454
He loves it!

No, I have no need for a Dock. I really like just getting cozy outside on the swing cushion thingy we have in the garden, or in bed, and just gaming that way. I usually put a couple pillows in my lap, to rest the weight of the Deck on it as I game though.

Main benefit of Deck for me is just how nice Arch Linux is, and finally being able to say goodbye to Windows, Intel, and Nvidia permanently in my life. My new work laptop is an AMD APU with Linux Mint (I only need Zoom and Libreoffice for my work, so no need for WIndows in my life anymore). Honestly its so great having such a smooth experience, no ads, no bloat... combine that with Firefox with Ublock Origin on my phone, and life is great. Smooth with no ads. The best life ^^

@Mindweaver I see a future where we have Steam Deck 8 being so powerful, we can slide it on a minibackpack we wear alongside a future Valve Index VR headset... man that would be epic.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
fyi, Dishonored is 10/10 on Steam Deck, I am about half way through the single player campaign.

60 fps, not a single dip in fps, everything maxed out. looks great, plays great.

THE AUDIO IS FUCKING 11/10 ON STEAM DECK, when you equip "the heart" to find runes, press L2 to hear that ladies voice. omfg. how are steam decks speakers this good? insane.

anyone have any other games they ended up loving on Steam Deck? I'd love to hear if so.

Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
fyi, Dishonored is 10/10 on Steam Deck, I am about half way through the single player campaign.

60 fps, not a single dip in fps, everything maxed out. looks great, plays great.

THE AUDIO IS FUCKING 11/10 ON STEAM DECK, when you equip "the heart" to find runes, press L2 to hear that ladies voice. omfg. how are steam decks speakers this good? insane.

anyone have any other games they ended up loving on Steam Deck? I'd love to hear if so.
I haven't finished Dishonored, so this is a great game to add to my deck to finally finish :D

I've recently finished the first main ending of nier automata on my deck, runs great without flaw with almost everything in high and no anti-aliasing (no need on such a small screen)

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I haven't finished Dishonored, so this is a great game to add to my deck to finally finish :D

I've recently finished the first main ending of nier automata on my deck, runs great without flaw with almost everything in high and no anti-aliasing (no need on such a small screen)

this is good to know! next time Nier goes on sale I will grab it. does it matter which order I play them in? Replicant then Automata?

Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
this is good to know! next time Nier goes on sale I will grab it. does it matter which order I play them in? Replicant then Automata?
I just have automata and didn't see anything concerning the story of replicant, but i don't know how well (or how loud ;) ) will it run on deck considering the game is more recent by 4 years.

Edit : Apparently, Replicant is a remaster of the first nier in 2010, but i don't know how much different they are and if they remastered it to make it great to play after automata. It will be logical concidering the success automata was and how much player will play replicant after automata.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I just have automata and didn't see anything concerning the story of replicant, but i don't know how well (or how loud ;) ) will it run on deck considering the game is more recent by 4 years.

my Deck has the dampener on the fan (new models of Deck apparently have this dampener), it honestly doesn't get loud at all. I even threw God of War at my Deck to try and get the fans to go loud, and honestly they just never did (God of War unfortunately only runs at 30-40 fps, and was just too janky for me to enjoy on Deck) but that is ok, Deck is not a miracle machine, and I have loads of other games that run just fine at 60 fps on it.

so all these complaints about fan noise I just have not experienced even a single time, which has been a strange experience honestly.

Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
my Deck has the dampener on the fan (new models of Deck apparently have this dampener), it honestly doesn't get loud at all. I even threw God of War at my Deck to try and get the fans to go loud, and honestly they just never did (God of War unfortunately only runs at 30-40 fps, and was just too janky for me to enjoy on Deck) but that is ok, Deck is not a miracle machine, and I have loads of other games that run just fine at 60 fps on it.

so all these complaints about fan noise I just have not experienced even a single time, which has been a strange experience honestly.
If i don't limit the tdp, it can be loud but it's just a sound of blowing and a fast spinning fan. I just perfer it quieter, cooler and drawing less power.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
If i don't limit the tdp, it can be loud but it's just a sound of blowing and a fast spinning fan. I just perfer it quieter, cooler and drawing less power.

I don't limit anything, I just run it at everything default out of box. its been a solid experience for me. I am sorry early adopters didn't get the fan dampener though

definately going to give Nier a try though, thanks! let me know how you like Dishonored, honestly its great on the Deck, surprisingly so.

remember when you equip the heart, to press L2 on the Deck... its absolutely insane how good the audio is. its like 5.1 surround Dolby Atmos, and I am like wtf is my Deck doing right now...

Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
I don't limit anything, I just run it at everything default out of box. its been a solid experience for me. I am sorry early adopters didn't get the fan dampener though

definately going to give Nier a try though, thanks! let me know how you like Dishonored, honestly its great on the Deck, surprisingly so.

remember when you equip the heart, to press L2 on the Deck... its absolutely insane how good the audio is. its like 5.1 surround Dolby Atmos, and I am like wtf is my Deck doing right now...
You will be surprised how usefull it can get to limit tdp or gpu clock.
I've get less stuter when limiting the tdp on automata (even -2 or -3 Watts), probably because it was cooler and the system wasn't trying to limit anything because of overheating. On BoTW (WiiU emulation), i have a tdp limit too for the same reason as automata, and limiting the gpu clock make it smoother and gain some fps depending on the environement, probably an emulation specification but it really makes it an emulation beast.
Tweeking game and deck ressources is actually something i like a lot and can make the experience more at your liking in terms of performance, temps, noise and autonomy. You have to find what you like the most.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You will be surprised how usefull it can get to limit tdp or gpu clock.
I've get less stuter when limiting the tdp on automata (even -2 or -3 Watts), probably because it was cooler and the system wasn't trying to limit anything because of overheating. On BoTW (WiiU emulation), i have a tdp limit too for the same reason as automata, and limiting the gpu clock make it smoother and gain some fps depending on the environement, probably an emulation specification but it really makes it an emulation beast.
Tweeking game and deck ressources is actually something i like a lot and can make the experience more at your liking in terms of performance, temps, noise and autonomy. You have to find what you like the most.

I will keep that in mind, I haven't had any issues with stuttering or anything at all. Dishonored was very smooth for me, and all the indie games I have played have been perfectly smooth as well.

Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
I will keep that in mind, I haven't had any issues with stuttering or anything at all. Dishonored was very smooth for me, and all the indie games I have played have been perfectly smooth as well.
Yeah small game or older game like Dishonored should be fine stock. I don't know if i want to install God of War just to do some testing, i will probably do at some point but i want to spend more time enjoying my deck a bit more before spending time on testing the limit.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
What do yall think about the ROG Ally?

I am glad it is going to exist. I am excited to see the handheld market expand. It's higher performance and lack of track pads might draw in new people who wouldn't get the Steam Deck.

I personally would still choose the Steam Deck if I were buying new. It has more performance than I need for the games I want to play on a handheld. I frequently get 8 hours of battery life because I am not playing demanding games. Although I didn't know it until I played on the steam deck, the track pads are essential. Valves support is well above industry standards which benefits Linux as much as the Steam Deck.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
What do yall think about the ROG Ally?

I am glad it is going to exist. I am excited to see the handheld market expand. It's higher performance and lack of track pads might draw in new people who wouldn't get the Steam Deck.

I personally would still choose the Steam Deck if I were buying new. It has more performance than I need for the games I want to play on a handheld. I frequently get 8 hours of battery life because I am not playing demanding games. Although I didn't know it until I played on the steam deck, the track pads are essential. Valves support is well above industry standards which benefits Linux as much as the Steam Deck.

well RoG Ally is likely going to cost way way way more than the $360 I paid for my Deck, also it uses Windows, and I can't tell you how nice it has been being free from Windows. Also, I doubt the RoG Ally will let me hit the power button and in 0.1 microseconds turn off, and when I hit power button again again 0.1 microseconds resume exactly where I was in game, any game. it's unbelievable how fluid the experience is with SteamOS on the Deck.

There a few games that don't run well on Windows that run great on Deck as well, which is nice. For example in Dishonored on my desktop I get screen tearing unless I cap the fps manually, but on Deck with Dishonored I don't have to do anything, everything just works and looks great out of the box. no tinkering needed, which is so refreshing.

It looks like the RoG Ally will cost $899 is my guess, and that is for the non-extreme version, so the one with only 4 gpu cores not 12 as the ones shown in benchmarks recently... so yeah $360 for the steam deck? I have 0 complaints. lol

If the Rog Ally was OLED I might be tempted a little more, but its not so no loss on my end.