• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stuttering every 5 seconds while playing

I suggest a deeper check. Surely could be, my steering set drivers and all the old lot were wreaking havoc at the time, but it seems like a hypervisor-virtualisation instance kind of lag(system setup level).

I once tried playing nfs carbon on a pentium 3.2GHz cpu. Everytime I launched the car outside the tunnel, fps would aim for the skies, in which case the cpu would shut feeding 7800gs++ and I would sit until the cpu eased as the car smashed across the pavement at the other end of the street.

I wasn't aware of framelimiters back then. I must say, musical chairs couldn't beat the anticipation.

DanyelaOfCyrodiil

Thank you a lot for your atention and answers, I have to sleep now, because tomorrow I have early subject on school. Tomorrow I'll update the thread reporting if the drivers were the issue, or it is soemthing else. good night guys ,see ya later

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
and you can keep it for that rig and replace it with the old hdd if you sell it.

System Name Zen4
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard Asus Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Some oem 240 AIO
Memory 2xKingston DDR5 2x16GB (Hynix M die)@6000 CL26-35-35-27
Video Card(s) Gainward Phantom 4090 (@2.82GHz .95V UV, 350W PL)
Storage WD Black SN850X
Display(s) LG OLED C1 48"
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K70
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Win11
From the in game latencymon test, the lag spikes seems to be triggered by ndis.sys, which is a networking component (probably nothing wrong with the file itself). Is it only happening in Skyrim? Maybe it could be a routing problem as trickson mentioned? Or wifi issues?

Last edited:
System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
From the in game latencymon test, the lag spikes seems to be triggered by ndis.sys, which is a networking component (probably nothing wrong with the file itself). Is it only happening in Skyrim? Maybe it could be a routing problem as trickson mentioned? Or wifi issues?
Go into network adapter properties' advanced settings and look for anything related to energy efficiency or power management and disable them.

I assume you have the system's power options set to "High Performance" already as well? Also check your graphics vendor's control panel and make sure any power profile settings are set to high performance.

Manually downloading the latest network adapter driver, then uninstalling, reboot, and reinstalling fresh network adapter driver may help as well.

Beyond that, I've had a similar issue in the past due to windows media trying
to update my library(checks the network) in the background. Try disabling the service, temporarily or permanently.
How to: https://ccm.net/faq/20641-windows-disable-windows-media-player-network-sharing

If you search online for "ndis.sys latency spikes" you'll find several others with same issues. Including the problem being exacerbated by system load. Some fixed it with drivers or a new network adapter, others found it power saving settings related. As I mentioned, I've experienced similar issue from a windows' service unnecessarily spiking network usage.
You may want to download a free network monitoring application like wireshark to see what exactly is getting the network service loaded as well.

Last edited:
System Name Iglo
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 32 gigs - 3600hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 GAMING
Storage NvmE x2 + SSD + spinning rust
Display(s) BenQ XL2420Z - lenovo both 27" and 1080p 144/60
Case Fractal Design Meshify C TG Black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z-2300 2.1 200w Speaker /w 8 inch subwoofer
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 550w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair k100 Air Wireless RGB Cherry MX
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores Super-PI 1M T: 7,993 s :CinebR20: 5755 point GeekB: 2097 S-11398-M 3D :TS 7674/12260
Latest windows patch nerfed the IGPU with 18% performance. according to net sources.

System Name Zen4
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard Asus Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Some oem 240 AIO
Memory 2xKingston DDR5 2x16GB (Hynix M die)@6000 CL26-35-35-27
Video Card(s) Gainward Phantom 4090 (@2.82GHz .95V UV, 350W PL)
Storage WD Black SN850X
Display(s) LG OLED C1 48"
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K70
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Win11
You idle testes seems fine btw. Have you tested other non Bethesda games? From what I could see from a quick google search, this kind of problem seems fairly common in Skyrim (probably other Bethesda games like Fallout also). Some have solved it by locking the frame rate of the game (60 or even 30fps). One of the threads I found here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/810921273858659049/

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
We are talking about an IGP, 4GB RAM and slow storage here.

Basically the game is just too big for this setup. It shows, looking at the video, the whole thing is a stutterfest. And yes, its even worse in a way when it 'stutters'...the PC is just choking on this game. You can also observe it actually 'hanging' a few times.

Beyond an update dropping your performance, any changes to the system might also cause you to exceed the 4GB RAM... is it possible for you to roll back to Windows 1803? Not safe, but hella stable and has less features = lower usage.

DanyelaOfCyrodiil

We are talking about an IGP, 4GB RAM and slow storage here.

Basically the game is just too big for this setup. It shows, looking at the video, the whole thing is a stutterfest. And yes, its even worse in a way when it 'stutters'...the PC is just choking on this game. You can also observe it actually 'hanging' a few times.

Beyond an update dropping your performance, any changes to the system might also cause you to exceed the 4GB RAM... is it possible for you to roll back to Windows 1803? Not safe, but hella stable and has less features = lower usage.
Funny thing is that this wasn't happening 2 months ago, now all of a sudden there is a problem

You idle testes seems fine btw. Have you tested other non Bethesda games? From what I could see from a quick google search, this kind of problem seems fairly common in Skyrim (probably other Bethesda games like Fallout also). Some have solved it by locking the frame rate of the game (60 or even 30fps). One of the threads I found here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/810921273858659049/
Yeah tested on Borderlands, but the problem seems to be in general, but is hard to notice while on desktop, the thing that may be involved, is that Antimalware executable is always high consuming memory, and to add more issues, my laptop have 4GB RAM but system says only 2.3 can be used, so right now trying to investigate some more and finish this annoyance

Thank you a lot for your atention and answers, I have to sleep now, because tomorrow I have early subject on school. Tomorrow I'll update the thread reporting if the drivers were the issue, or it is soemthing else. good night guys ,see ya later
And as for drivers I didn't reinstlled all of them due to lack of knowledge from my part, I'm not sure if I should re install every driver including processors drivers, I just touched the graphics, network and sound drivers

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
Decrease the pagefile size also if possible, move it to another drive.
Also, the biggest culprit of stuttering is process working sets. you should periodically clean it by using "Empty Standby List".
Download from here:

Please do not forget to create an automated task for this little application. Windows should execute it every 5 minutes or so.

DanyelaOfCyrodiil

Ok guys, I'm using the Wireshark, I'm no expert on this things but from time to time some strange packets that says "neighbor solicitation from random combination of letters and numbers" and "neighbour advertisement from random combination of numbers and letters" and really I don't know what to see from this, but I know too that I shouldn't be careless leaving random ips and numbers so I'm not posting image.

Today I tried to play games while using airplane mode, but wasn't successful, so is this really some network adapter problem or system-level issue? I don't know anymore, I'm starting to give up and live with this.

DanyelaOfCyrodiil

Today I used the Windows Performance monitor, and turn out that the most suspicious culprit is the "System" process that starts to do system things on background, consuming a lot of cpu and disk usage; also scanned on airplane mode to discard network adapter issues.
Ugly part of this is that the subprocesses made by "System" are essential, so I cannot disable or finish them, but all system processes were working only on one core, is there any way to balance the work with the other cores?, or a way to lower system disk usage?

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
Shut down background intelligent transfer service for decreasing hdd usage

System Name Desktop
Processor 7800 x3d
Motherboard Giga b650i aorus ultra
Cooling pk-3 | conductonaut | AC LF II 280
Memory 64g Gskill X5 ddr 6000 cl30
Video Card(s) 7900 xt
Storage 2Tb Inland Premium
Display(s) Armada 27 1440p 165 + 25 1080p 240hz
Case Tt Black Armor : Phantek Evolv shift xt
Audio Device(s) Ae-7
Power Supply Aresgame 850 sff
Mouse Razer Viper ulti
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse I, II, & III
Benchmark Scores assd 6600|x5675 Cne11.5 -1102|Timespy 24000 | TS Extreme gpu 1 - 87 fps
Why hasnt anyone suspected to disable super fetch and windows search? Run cmd as admin then use "net.exe stop superfetch" and "net.exe stop wsearch". Disabling Superfetch from Command Prompt, well that only stops superfetch and does not disable it from starting with the next reboot. If you want to disable it, you should go into services.msc to disable it upon boot or use RegEdit to change value to disabled.

Last edited:

DanyelaOfCyrodiil

Shut down background intelligent transfer service for decreasing hdd usage
I went over to services to stop and diable it, but BITS wasn't running and was on manual mode, disabled it anyway.

Why hasnt anyone suspected to disable super fetch and windows search? Run cmd as admin then use "net.exe stop superfetch" and "net.exe stop wsearch". Disabling Superfetch from Command Prompt, well that only stops superfetch and does not disable it from starting with the next reboot. If you want to disable it, you should go into services.msc to disable it upon boot or use RegEdit to change value to disabled.
Didn't worked using cammand prompt, but couldn't find it on task manager and services

System Name Desktop
Processor 7800 x3d
Motherboard Giga b650i aorus ultra
Cooling pk-3 | conductonaut | AC LF II 280
Memory 64g Gskill X5 ddr 6000 cl30
Video Card(s) 7900 xt
Storage 2Tb Inland Premium
Display(s) Armada 27 1440p 165 + 25 1080p 240hz
Case Tt Black Armor : Phantek Evolv shift xt
Audio Device(s) Ae-7
Power Supply Aresgame 850 sff
Mouse Razer Viper ulti
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse I, II, & III
Benchmark Scores assd 6600|x5675 Cne11.5 -1102|Timespy 24000 | TS Extreme gpu 1 - 87 fps
right click cmd and hit run as aministrator in order to run net.exe stop superfetch. Superfetch and wsearch causes horrendous performance in Win10 installed on mechanical Hdds, expecially the 5400rpm type. I used to have major problems with it until i upgraded to ssd.

Last edited:

DanyelaOfCyrodiil

right click cmd and hit run as aministrator in order to run net.exe stop superfetch. Superfetch and wsearch causes horrendous performance in Win10 installed on mechanical Hdds, expecially the 5400rpm type. I used to have major problems with it until i upgraded to ssd.
Did it but, CMD replies saying "The service name is not valid. You can get more help with NET HELPMSG 2185 command" and I haven't seen any superfetch process on task manager or service, maybe the name is different since I'm on Windows ES language.

This is an example of what happens when the spike shows
1.png

Moments ago system process wasn't this busy. But every time I start to play, after 10 mins System starts to do random things on backgorund, and this is consuming a lot of resources. I disabled a lot of Windows services (and sometimes some of them enable again). Any more ideas?

DanyelaOfCyrodiil

Today I found out that my laptop is only detecting one of two ram slots, so instead of 4GB, I am only using 2GB and more than 1GB is used to windows essential processess, do any of you knows how to fix this?

I think I've found out the problem, take a look at this:
memory.png

As you can see this laptop have 4GB, but for some reason it only use 2.4GB of wich 1.6 GB is for hardware, and leaves me only on 598 MB, and the memory is always <70 and this isn't normal, even on image the graphic is high always, How can I fix this?

Other thing I found is that whenever I put maximum memory on boot advanced settings, but after rebooting, the maximum memory is again off or put to zero. I will try instead of the maximum memory (4096) I will establish it on 4095, or you guys have any ideas?

DanyelaOfCyrodiil

Reviving this thread again, today I installed hwinfo software and I noticed something very strange, on the CPU status I noticed that when the game stutters the clock and the bus Hz fall alongside the VID, could this mean that the stutters is caused by a voltage shortage? How can I discover what is causing this?

System Name HP Pavilion a6552f
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Motherboard Asus IPIBL-LB / HP Benicia-GL8E
Cooling DeepCool Gammaxx 200
Memory 8gigs Kingston 4x2gigs DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Zotac GT630 "Fermi" 2gb DDR3 128bits Synergy Edition
Storage Western Digital Green 7200rpm 1tb
Display(s) LG Flatron EW234 Super LED
Case HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 430w
Mouse Razer Abyssus Mirror Special Edition Blue LED
Keyboard Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Commander Red LED Backlighting Mechanical Keycaps Membrane Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits
Stuttering is just the start. You aint seen n-n-n-n-n-nothing yet ! ;)

Reviving this thread again, today I installed hwinfo software and I noticed something very strange, on the CPU status I noticed that when the game stutters the clock and the bus Hz fall alongside the VID, could this mean that the stutters is caused by a voltage shortage? How can I discover what is causing this?
That is the throttle limit. Happens on gpus whenever above 80c. That is why you need to keep your gpu cool.

DanyelaOfCyrodiil

Here are the comparisons:
This is on normal conditions
norm.png

And this when it stutters
uff.png

That is the throttle limit. Happens on gpus whenever above 80c. That is why you need to keep your gpu cool.
Yeah many said that too but cpu is not high on temperature, and even today I cleaned the fan, cpu was working well even with fan worse conditions, so i dont know..

Here are the comparisons:
This is on normal conditions
View attachment 147673
And this when it stutters
View attachment 147674

Yeah many said that too but cpu is not high on temperature, and even today I cleaned the fan, cpu was working well even with fan worse conditions, so i dont know..
What about idle status? Because your cpu should be 2GHz. Not 800MHz, not 500MHz when it stutters. I can also see there is a timed 28second turbo sequence. Not good.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just saw this thread and was about to say it was the gpu (or igpu, in this case) cooking itself, but it looks like that's been figured out.