• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tesla Motors Develops Semi-custom AI Chip with AMD

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Tesla Motors, which arguably brought electric vehicles to the luxury-mainstream, is investing big in self-driving cars. Despite its leader Elon Musk's fears and reservations on just how much one must allow artificial intelligence (AI) to develop, the company realized that a true self-driving car cannot be made without giving the car a degree of machine learning and AI, so it can learn its surroundings in real-time, and maneuver itself with some agility. To that extent, Tesla is designing its own AI processor. This SoC (system on chip) will be a semi-custom development, in collaboration with the reigning king of semi-custom chips, AMD.

AMD has with it a clear GPGPU performance advantage over NVIDIA, despite the latter's heavy investments in deep-learning. AMD is probably also banking on good pricing, greater freedom over the IP thanks to open standards, and a vast semi-custom track-record, having developed semi-custom chips with technology giants such as Sony and Microsoft. Musk confirmed that the first car in which you can simply get in, fall asleep, and wake up at your destination, will roll out within two years, hinting at a 2019 rollout. This would mean a bulk of the chip's development is done.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Self-driving cars...

Did anyone even ask for this? Serious question.

I especially don't see how it'd kick off in much of America. Maybe in a few places (NYC) where people identify as commuters.. and definitely in Europe.. but driving yourself is about as American as apple pie. And I, personally, barely trust anyone to drive. Let alone a machine.

Processor i7 4790k / ryzen 1700
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme / gigabyte b350 mini itx
Cooling Corsair H70 / cooler master master liquid
Memory 32gb DDR3 / 32gb ddr4
Video Card(s) Gtx 1080 / gtx 1080
Storage 128gb Samsung 850 Pro, 2tb hdd / 500gb 850 evo
Case Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 / Silverstone m13b
Power Supply 1000W OCZ Gold Full Modular / seasonic focus 850w
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Self-driving cars...

I especially don't see how it'd kick off in much of America. Maybe in a few places (NYC) where people identify as commuters.. and definitely in Europe.. but driving yourself is about as American as apple pie. And I, personally, barely trust anyone to drive. Let alone a machine.
I agree completely with this. Also a serious question, I'm going to poise a scenario for which is (at least in my mind) a very large potential issue. Let's say I'm a commuter. I get up at 4:30 AM and I'm heading off to work. I just bought this new car, guaranteed to be 100% self driving. I tell it to drive me to work, it starts driving and I kick on the seat warmer and I fall asleep. A few minutes later I awake with a start as I feel a large bump hit the car. The car just ran over a 8 year old and his mother, both dead. Who's fault is this? Is it my fault, even though I wasn't driving, and it was the car which was guaranteed to me to be 100% self driving, or is it the car manufacturer for creating this "self driving car"? Who's going to jail for vehicular manslaughter (which is a very serious crime in America)? Not to mention if the thing kept driving, it would be hit and run. While this scenario might be extreme, if the car got into a collision with another vehicle and it was driving, who would pay the insurance bill? These are serious questions that need addressing. If it was explained to me that it was my responsibility for whatever the car did, I sure as hell wouldn't trust it to drive for me. No way am I going to jail over a computer glitch.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I agree completely with this. Also a serious question, I'm going to poise a scenario for which is (at least in my mind) a very large potential issue. Let's say I'm a commuter. I get up at 4:30 AM and I'm heading off to work. I just bought this new car, guaranteed to be 100% self driving. I tell it to drive me to work, it starts driving and I kick on the seat warmer and I fall asleep. A few minutes later I awake with a start as I feel a large bump hit the car. The car just ran over a 8 year old and his mother, both dead. Who's fault is this? Is it my fault, even though I wasn't driving, and it was the car which was guaranteed to me to be 100% self driving, or is it the car manufacturer for creating this "self driving car"? Who's going to jail for vehicular manslaughter (which is a very serious crime in America)? Not to mention if the thing kept driving, it would be hit and run. While this scenario might be extreme, if the car got into a collision with another vehicle and it was driving, who would pay the insurance bill? These are serious questions that need addressing. If it was explained to me that it was my responsibility for whatever the car did, I sure as hell wouldn't trust it to drive for me. No way am I going to jail over a computer glitch.

These will be addressed by local governments. Besides, AI driven cars are safer than humans so you may find insurance cheaper. Though I doubt it.

I also imagine a rule where you are not allowed to sleep alone in an autonomous car.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Self-driving cars...

I would love it, as I am disabled and literally cannot drive.

That said, I wouldn't trust it either unless the entire road system ran on it.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro

Ah yeah.. pardon me for not thinking of that reason. Makes sense.

To be fair, I kind of have trust issues in general :p

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
These will be addressed by local governments. Besides, AI driven cars are safer than humans so you may find insurance cheaper. Though I doubt it.

I also imagine a rule where you are not allowed to sleep alone in an autonomous car.

I'd probably be dead if it wasn't for my own driving. I've gotten myself out of tight situations that I can't even think where an AI would apply or react well.

And this goes beyond just tight situations in traffic. I've peeled out in a parking lot, as a robber pulled a gun right at my window... turned 180 Starskey and Hutch style and made a break for it. I probably even impressed him, because he didn't even fire shots as I drove away. An AI couldn't do any of this.

Not yet anyway.

Back to traffic though.. I'd say it's even more important when riding bikes. There's a lot more tight situations that need human vigilance. So I hope there aren't self-driving bikes to boot.

Last edited:
Obviously these cars will have sensors that detect objects and break when necessary. How well can they interpret farther objects remains to be seen. For example as humans we normally can see from a far that there r children in the area and therefore slow down in case of any unexpected kids running around pr popping outta nowhere. But to answer your questions this is made possible(legal) due to the current US president signing certain bills lol. Basically the approach being taken right now is to build those cars and put them on the street and we will figure things out as we go.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
May not seem like much, but there are two major pieces of information that I can derive from this:
1) Tesla at least partially dropped their partnership with NVidia, which is kind of weird, because Nvidia still has a proud Drive PX2 on Tesla demo on their website.
2) AMD grew a pair to get into embedded and automotive market, which they did not want to do last year. Good for them.

Self-driving cars...

Of course there is market for self-driving cars and people who want it.
It's not going to start with 100% self-driving cars. So far both Tesla and Mercedes have demonstrated what they did with older tech, like NV Tegra X1, and it looks impressive. Fully autonomous highway driving, parking, etc.
Almost half of the US has already passed laws and regulations allowing autonomous vehicles w/ driver present. So, even hard-headed politicians see an appeal in reducing human error on the road.
Other countries are going as far as already commercializing self-driving car services (taxi, autonomous truck deliveries etc.).

Google did a very lengthy trial on their system , and here's what they got:
Based on Google's own accident reports, their test cars have been involved in 14 collisions, of which human drivers were at fault 13 times. It was not until 2016 that the car's software caused a crash.
That's 14 minor incidents on 23 cars in almost 8 years. Only one of those was a software glitch, while the others were caused by a human.

that tweet screenshot... it's fun to misinterpret it as a 2 year sleep ride

this is worded in such a way that it sounds like it's about low end chinese products, like the disaster that IoT is

dont you think someone like elon thinks about this pretty much every day? he is one to say AI can become a threat to the human species, so then why would he do the opposite & be reckless with car AI?

AI cant really replace good drivers or solve tricky situations, but there are so many bad drivers that cause problems or cant get a handle on a situation

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
well they had issues while using Nvidia solution, kinda logical for them to seek alternatives ...

plus it's their own chips (AMD only helps) so now, they will only be able to blame themselves if something goes wrong (what would go wrong? right? )

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I wouldn't trust it either unless the entire road system ran on it.
This. Google's testing found that while their self-driving cars that it was often other human drivers who caused collisions, not the self driving cars.
I am disabled and literally cannot drive.
If that happened to me, I'm pretty sure that a part of me would die. Unlike most Americans I own a standard because I like driving and put extra effort into being a good driver and understanding how my vehicle works and reacts. With that said, even if you're a good driver, it's everyone else you have to watch out for. I've been hit by other people and I've literally swerved out of potential crashes that would have totaled my car. People just don't give driving the attention it deserves. All in all, I think people would drive fine if they stopped doing everything except for driving while they're driving.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
If that happened to me, I'm pretty sure that a part of me would die.

Part of you does man... namely the part that drives. :laugh:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Part of you does man... namely the part that drives. :laugh:
Well, die in the same kind of way as if I could never use a computer ever again. Losing something you enjoy doing is never an easy pill to swallow.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
This. Google's testing found that while their self-driving cars that it was often other human drivers who caused collisions, not the self driving cars.

If that happened to me, I'm pretty sure that a part of me would die. Unlike most Americans I own a standard because I like driving and put extra effort into being a good driver and understanding how my vehicle works and reacts. With that said, even if you're a good driver, it's everyone else you have to watch out for. I've been hit by other people and I've literally swerved out of potential crashes that would have totaled my car. People just don't give driving the attention it deserves. All in all, I think people would drive fine if they stopped doing everything except for driving while they're driving.

You'd think the whole "flinging 2 tons of steel at 60mph" thing would be enough of a reason to pay attention... but I guess not.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Well it’s an AI chip so all your concerns is what it will be figuring out faster than us I would think.

Hmm my only question is: if car can drive itself, can you get fine for drunk driving?

AnnCore

Staff
Processor AMD FX-8350 "Vishera"
Motherboard Asus M5A99X EVO
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.Skill DDR3 2133MHz 16GB
Video Card(s) CrossfireX Asus 5850
Storage Crucial C300 128GB
Display(s) Samsung SA950
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Self-driving cars...

I'm not going to say machines are 100% ready but ask yourself this, do machines get drunk or do drugs?
Do machines need the thrill of speeding? Not likely and that accounts for roughly 66% of all accidents. The other 33% is human error.

Personally I like to drive too but if I am being assisted by AI and it helps me from making a mistake while driving, then why not?

AnnCore

Staff
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) Samsung SA950
Hmm my only question is: if car can drive itself, can you get fine for drunk driving?

I'd say yes because you are still asked to take over the car if something the car can't manage comes up.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I'm not going to say machines are 100% ready but ask yourself this, do machines get drunk or do drugs?
Do machines need the thrill of speeding? Not likely and that accounts for roughly 66% of all accidents. The other 33% is human error.

Personally I like to drive too but if I am being assisted by AI and it helps me from making a mistake while driving, then why not?

Personally, I'd rather just scare people from drunk driving with draconian laws.. But I won't get into that (and I acknowledge that even that won't dissuade some).

I expect the same amount of error here as I do with spellcheck/autofill. I'm not sure it's going to be much better.

AnnCore

Staff
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) Samsung SA950

You are absolutely right. You need to remove the human factor for it to work best. When I was learning to drive as a teenager my father told me to consider everyone else on the road as "***holes". It wasn't personal, just a the mental state you need to stay alive when driving. TBH, I'd expect people to think the same of me while I'm driving because people are unpredictable to say the least.

AnnCore

Staff
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) Samsung SA950

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Personally, I'd rather just scare people from drunk driving with draconian laws..
Like it would help. Just look at US: probably the most severe punishments for DUI in the world, and it's still #3 for DUI offences right after SAR and Canada.
Even drunken russians, finns, the entire eastern and central Europe combined can't beat that.