• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Thermal Interface Material thread

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) SHP-9500, custom tube amp, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Hold up, there might be some merit to this. AI has the potential to be very good at chemistry. This might be a good thing. I think testing is in order. If these hit the market, I will get some and do some testing here.

I agree with that, but I think in this case its just marketing stuff. I hope you are right though.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
we have AI thermal paste now. please make it stop.

View attachment 348251
I coudn't agree more!

No way I'm using anything with diamond dust to royally scratch up and ruin the contact surface of my coolers/pots, plus it doesn't even work down to the temps I'd sometimes need it for anyway (-192c).

And AI stuff?

What's it gonna do?
Make your machine compute faster, help with framerates, spy and report what you're doing and where you've been, upload your browsing history to Skynet so they can send in the T-1000 liqui-clowns or..... What?
And those colors.... Like you'd really notice it anyway once the cooler is on and the board is in the case, esp if you happen to have your RGB "Bling" goin on in there. :oops:

Maybe an AI can come up with a better TIM and do try this stuff if you like - Should be obvious here I'm not.

Hold up, there might be some merit to this. AI has the potential to be very good at chemistry. This might be a good thing. I think testing is in order. If these hit the market, I will get some and do some testing here.
I just recently watched a video on diamonds, and it explained how good diamonds are at thermal conductivity, but didn't mention AI. ;) I have no doubt about the efficacy of the product - just the marketing nonsense, good meister.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
This, 100%.

Regardless of the naming AI the regular Cryofuze was quite good, however the regular one has a higher thermal conductivity of 14 W/m.K, the AI one only 12.6 W/m.K, even though the thermal conductivity might not mean much. From the same company it could though.

This, 100%.
I'll be keeping my eye out for those, will test once I get some. I find them intriguing!

Saw this and thought is might be worth a look;
While I won't go so far as to call this round of testing bad, I find it a bit suspicious that they tested MX-5 instead of MX-6, even though MX-5 hasn't been available for over a year now(though in all fairness it did as well for them as my testing showed). The wording of the article makes me think that it has been in the works for over a year, which is reasonably fair, it takes a lot of time to do testing like this. However what really stood out to me was the fact that Arctic Silver was included and seemed to still be performing like a champ in with the best. Very interesting to me.

The article also did discuss it's testing methods which is a bit concerning, but perhaps they wanted to avoid the whining and griping from certain members of the public.

Last edited:
I'll be keeping my eye out for those, will test once I get some. I find them intriguing!

While I won't go so far as to call this round of testing bad, I find it a bit suspicious that they tested MX-5 instead of MX-6, even though MX-5 hasn't been available for over a year now(though in all fairness it did as well for them as my testing showed). The wording of the article makes me think that it has been in the works for over a year, which is reasonably fair, it takes a lot of time to do testing like this. However what really stood out to me was the fact that Arctic Silver was included and seemed to still be performing like a champ in with the best. Very interesting to me.

The article also did discuss it's testing methods which is a bit concerning, but perhaps they wanted to avoid the whining and griping from certain members of the public.
I was surprised by the omission of products like PTM7950 and its brethren, amongst a few others. "Why?"

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage 500GB SN550 WD Blue NVMe M.2
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply Apevia 600W Gold 80 Plus
Software Windows 11 Home
I was surprised by the omission of products like PTM7950 and its brethren, amongst a few others. "Why?"
That's easy to answer and understand, he said it in the article:
Even though a dizzying array of different thermal pastes is available
No one can be expected to know about, let alone test, all of them.

Because this test is really old, it's all recycled from years old tests and it's flawed anyways: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/mk2ap8
A real new test is in the works from THG.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
System Name D30 w.2x E5-2680; T5500 w.2x X5675;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
Because this test is really old, it's all recycled from years old tests and it's flawed anyways: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/mk2ap8
A real new test is in the works from THG.
Of course they are "misleading". Any test with CPU mounting, cleaning & applying new paste is misleading!
Why?
- How did author apply the paste?
- Did he/she use the proper applicator?
- Did he/she take exactly the same procedure for each application? Same amount of paste? (not possible)
- How did the cooler fit on CPU on each assembly?
- How did cleaner react to paste? Did author use same cleaner or special cleaner for each paste?
etc.

In order to have viable results, there should be some kind of test equipment - which is NOT COMPUTER.
Mounting must be mechanical.
Putting paste must be automated.

Then & only then, you can have "some good & comparable results"! :cool:
All others is just: testing & we will get some (non comparable) data.

Any test with CPU mounting, cleaning & applying new paste is misleading!
No it isn't. That is exactly how you test. The testing involves a single base system using the exact same testing conditions. This is the only was to get results that compare fairly to each other. That's how I test anyway.

No it isn't. That is exactly how you test. The testing involves a single base system using the exact same testing conditions. This is the only was to get results that compare fairly to each other. That's how I test anyway.
I think they are referring to high precision testing vs manual, and the variability that the human introduces to the paste application...

Personally, I feel that it is exceedingly hard to produce results that are equally valid for everyone because we're talking about computers and all the variables involved. It is basically impossible to test anything in such a way that it'll apply to everyone and, even if it were possible, by the time all testing was completed, which would take huge amounts of time and money unless it could be automated (including recalibration) and that would require robotics that are currently unavailable, well, by that time the stuff tested would probably be "old" in tech.

Still, I don't entirely trust TH's TIM (and some other) results, but I'm old, jaded and cynical.

Last edited:
System Name D30 w.2x E5-2680; T5500 w.2x X5675;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
I think they are referring to high precision testing vs manual, and the variability that the human introduces to the paste application...

Personally, I feel that it is exceedingly hard to produce results that are equally valid for everyone because we're talking about computers and all the variables involved. It is basically impossible to test anything in such a way that it'll apply to everyone and, even if it were possible, by the time all testing was completed, which would take huge amounts of time and money unless it could be automated (including recalibration) and that would require robotics that are currently unavailable, well, by that time the stuff tested would probably be "old" in tech.

Still, I don't entirely trust TH's TIM (and some other) results, but I'm old, jaded and cynical.
Exactly.

+ you would need to have constant way of room temperature, which means you need to turn on climate control at least some 2h before the test in order not to interfere with the room temperature with the test! It has to be stable & keeping the room constant, not cooling it down to some value.

& again, automation does not need to cost much. I have done with the 1/2 of the price or a standard robot to seal application. So if it can be done with production on larger scale, it can be done on smaller scale also. :cool: But you need to have some constant test jig with some automated applicator & constant delivery system in order to have viable & comparable results. ;)

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
What about RGB AI thermal paste??!!
SmartSelect_20240523-161715_Twitter.jpg

Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI B650 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NHU12S
Memory 2x16 GB GSKILL 6000MHZ CL28
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900 GRE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) LG 32GP750 31.5" 2K QHD (2560 x 1440) 165Hz Gaming Monitor
Case Coolermater HAF 650
Audio Device(s) BeyerDynamic Amiron Home
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
AI Thermal paste!!!! Have they not seen Terminator 2!!!! :roll:

*edit* sarcasm does not convey well.....twas a joke.

AI Thermal paste!!!! Have they not seen Terminator 2!!!! :roll:
Guys, it is "not AI thermal paste", but AI generated thermal paste. Big difference!
But their marketing department is full of incompetent people. (or not, as we argue about it now) :confused:

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Guys, it is "not AI thermal paste", but AI generated thermal paste. Big difference!
But their marketing department is full of incompetent people. (or not, as we argue about it now) :confused:
Not even that. According to an errata on CM's social media, it was a mistranslation from their Chinese pages. It should read as "a paste for the AI era requirements", or something along these lines.

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, P14, P12, T30 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Not even that. According to an errata on CM's social media, it was a mistranslation from their Chinese pages. It should read as "a paste for the AI era requirements", or something along these lines.
That's even worse. :laugh:

Last edited:
System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory Corsair 3600mhz something die cl18 at 4000mhz
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Antec 850w Continous Power Series (since 2009)
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
I coudn't agree more!

No way I'm using anything with diamond dust to royally scratch up and ruin the contact surface of my coolers/pots, plus it doesn't even work down to the temps I'd sometimes need it for anyway (-192c).

And AI stuff?

What's it gonna do?
Make your machine compute faster, help with framerates, spy and report what you're doing and where you've been, upload your browsing history to Skynet so they can send in the T-1000 liqui-clowns or..... What?
And those colors.... Like you'd really notice it anyway once the cooler is on and the board is in the case, esp if you happen to have your RGB "Bling" goin on in there. :oops:

Maybe an AI can come up with a better TIM and do try this stuff if you like - Should be obvious here I'm not.
You and I have different ideas about diamond pastes lol.

There's absolutely no thermal paste that makes it that cold. You would even freeze acetone at that temperature.

If you value the laser etching, I get it. People delid these days. So maybe diamond paste isn't good for bare die, but I've never once had a problem.

Copper. Coolers. Lapped IHS plates.... When you clean the paste off with a towel, it shines the copper nicely like rubbing compound. It does take Lazer etching off, but nickel plating should be lapped off in my opinion. It's much worse than just saying I won't use this paste because scratches. Nickel conducts like shit. I've never seen lines like scratches, but maybe some diamond pastes have clumps of diamonds that could cause this effect. My take was when I wiped it off, it clumped in the towel and maybe left a visible line.

Not to take away from surface area. Scratches aren't horrible. I didn't have horrible results scuffing plates with 60 grit emery cloth. It seemed to work well with thicker pastes. IC diamond is thick. Difficult to work with cold. Becomes a little pliable when warmed up. Antec Formula 6 and 7 are very decent diamond pastes. I've always had good thermals, and not super thick. Worked fine both with lapped, scuffed and direct die cooling.

Been using diamond pastes about 15 years straight. I'm satisfied enough. Just like guys that stick with artic silver 5. To each their own :)

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
CoolerMaster are saying their CryoFuze 5 has a thermal conductance of 12.5W/mK so it may be good we'll just have to wait and see