• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The problem with the latency / lag and 5.1 Audio Out - and the modded drivers

deama

Any other devices you can try? PC Monitor?
Well I've got a focusrite DAC, but that one doesn't take HDMI, testing on it ends up giving me about 75-80ms, so abouts 10-15ms lower, but I can't feed that to my TV.
I'm gonna have to figure something else out for this.

deama

The USB out might be doable, you will need to do some research, but I believe HDMI has a USB mode, so maybe a converter or cable is needed?

Edit: HDMI Alt Mode USB Type-C
That's interesting, but for some reason my TV doesn't have audio IN, the only way I can give it audio is via HDMI for some reason, strange.

If I type 'test' into Windows run, if get an error box and audio, for me it feels like 0ms with DTS APO4 and DTS Interactive on the system, both SPDIF and HDMI.

Edit: I am going to go ahead and guess that even the red spectrum of light is faster than electricity down conductive circuits.
Optical (Toslink) cables are immune to normal interference, such as WiFi, TV - radio transmission, other.

1630427329110.png

Last edited:

deama

If I type 'test' into Windows run, if get an error box and audio, for me it feels like 0ms with DTS APO4 and DTS Interactive on the system, both SPDIF and HDMI.

Edit: I am going to go ahead and guess that even the red spectrum of light is faster than electricity down conductive circuits.
Optical (Toslink) cables are immune to normal interference, such as WiFi, TV - radio transmission, other.

View attachment 214943
If I type test it says windows can't find the program. I'm on windows 8.1, do you know the name of it specifically?

No the idea is for the pop-up (error), and audio, and any difference between the pop-up and delay in audio.
When I press enter or left click ok, the audio is instant, before the pop-up is fully drawn.

deama

No the idea is for the pop-up (error), and audio, and any difference between the pop-up and delay in audio.
When I press enter or left click ok, the audio is instant, before the pop-up is fully drawn.
The pop error is too unreliable, it starts off low volume then gradually increases to an error sound, too hard to detect in audio spectrum analysis.

You can change the sound, but fair enough, without equipment from A to B and set start points it not very measurable, the only quick method is a pop-up and sound which start at the same time.
Most of us wont notice a certain amount of delay, but if for example I opened an app that displayed a pop-up and the audio came 2 seconds later, I would certainly notice.

The eyes and ears method includes the full system, including any delay in the receiver, since you are listening to it.