• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thoughts on adding downvote capability?

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
Not a fan of the idea of down-vote option for posts. If there's an issue with a post, reporting should address it just fine.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
@W1zzard Offtopic here but here is another example of what I was talking about in the site issues 2018 thread, I have no alerts for this thread and no emails that indicate there have been 2 responses to this thread and the topic is marked as "watched" by default since I commented originally.

D

Deleted member 67555

I'm still for the idea of "Low quality post" under a different name... Such as "Off topic"..
The idea is good as it lets people ramble on about something that may not exactly be on topic but has relevance to the topic on hand.
Bringing in more mods and making the forums strict like other forums would make it like other forums and that has never been TPU.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I vote no, unfortunately I would see it getting abused by people more often than it being used for some good. On sites that have it we see it time and time again where certain people who dislike each other just dislike anything posted by those users trying to silence them.

Not that I think the majority of people on this site would not abuse it. I still think there would be enough that it would cause problems in my personal opinion.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I'm still for the idea of "Low quality post" under a different name... Such as "Off topic"..
The idea is good as it lets people ramble on about something that may not exactly be on topic but has relevance to the topic on hand.
Bringing in more mods and making the forums strict like other forums would make it like other forums and that has never been TPU.
They don't need more mods, they need mods able to moderate... both ability (as in permission to infract, ban, perma ban people and be a bit more heavy handed to those repeat offenders), as well as reach. Delays in response, and therefore further garbage posting, can happen because [name any mod here] wasn't online and that is their section...

I see having a mod cover a section as perhaps they are more knowledgeable, a good idea, but its handcuffing them in regards to making sure the members follow the rules, not so much.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Just no. Will hurt more than help the forum imho.

D

Deleted member 67555

They don't need more mods, they need mods able to moderate... both ability (as in permission to infract, ban, perma ban people and be a bit more heavy handed to those repeat offenders), as well as reach. Delays in response, and therefore further garbage posting, can happen because [name any mod here] wasn't online and that is their section...

I see having a mod cover a section as perhaps they are more knowledgeable, a good idea, but its handcuffing them in regards to making sure the members follow the rules.
People are still going to be people...
People have to enjoy being here to help and that means people are going to go off topic and have stupid arguments over semantics and a whole plethora of reasons...
Flagging a post as off topic helps those in need of help by eliminating the garbage.

I completely agree with what you're saying too... We do have some people that seem to want to come on just to argue with someone for no reason... They are toxic and they will always be toxic.... But sometimes they actually help.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
suggestion has been made here

and it was

no feedback as of yet on the Sugestion
I actually like that Dorset. It brings it to a mod attention, with not the same stigma as report, for them to review for being off-topic.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
I think TPU does almost everything better than OCN and other PC forums, but one thing I like about OCN better is there are far more moderators and they are much more strict, politics is not allowed, that is not what tech forums are about. I kind of like that about OCN as it cuts out of lot of where the toxic fights stem from.

I think instead of a downvoting system, perhaps revise forum rules to be more strict, and increase number of moderators. Also, growing our user base needs to be figured out... its such a small community, it really needs to grow, we already agreed we don't know how to do that though, so all is well.

In case you have been living under a rock, ocn has been bought out again, the final nail in the coffin of a dead forum.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Thanks for the feedback so far all! I've been teetering on if this would be good or bad for TPU's community as well as I've seen such systems on other forums (notably ARS and Reddit come to mind). And on both, it is used well and also abused, but is moderated, at least in the sections I frequent.

I feel ultimately W1z wants to allow the community a chance to decide what it does/doesn't want without derailing directly into fights, insults, toxicity, and other off-topic BS where an otherwise good member and topics get drug down into oblivion. That is where I can see this upvote/downvote being useful on the member side.

I am also concerned because depending on how we implement it, obviously some users will abuse it, as said in the other thread. As said earlier, some folks that like NV or Intel will downvote AMD posts...but fanboy-ism is something we have always seen and it is something we'll have to deal with regardless of what is or isn't implemented moving forward. Fanboy-ism in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing as brand bias that can be constructively shared and understood, but the toxicity-driven, immature, insult-filled, ego-fed BS that can stem from it is something this forum can do without regardless of what happens. That and other areas that drag users and topics down is what can hurt the community.

I do like @EarthDog suggestion about letting the OP decide the best answer for their thread, I'm not even sure @W1zzard is looking at this as an option but I do see this working well in most cases on other forums, well beyond tech forums. Not sure if that is something on the table or not, or if the work to implement it is worth the effort. There will also be those soured when their solution isn't chosen, just like we still have when a user helps a member but their post isn't thanked, now they feel like they shouldn't have to help others.

• Do you guys think choosing the best answer will help some topics?
  • When the best answer is chosen, should the thread remain open or should it be closed at that point?

Knowing some people, they will just use it to abuse the people they dont like on these forums by down voting every post they make

I agree as stated above, and is a concern. But it is abused wherever I've seen it used, and ultimately after some effective moderation it does seem the system can be quite effective and allows the community to drive the kind of content it supports. I've been thinking about this being useful here or not since it came up not long ago and haven't drawn a conclusion quite yet...but the more I think about it, the more I think yes it could. We just have to implement it in an anonymous fashion, and I feel this would have to completely do away with the thanks/likes system that exists today.

The last thing we need is users bickering because someone downvoted them. No thanks, we have enough drama without extra features between users. But if it is anonymous, and community driven, maybe some users will get the hint the way they're treating others, going off topic, going against the guidelines, etc. isn't something that folks want to see. If they don't get it, they start losing posting privileges via reply bans, infractions, etc. as their posts are downvoted, reported and we see them.

Wouldn't the "score" of the post be the sum of upvotes and downvotes?

Good question though, should we display individual votes? with usernames?

I like the median score idea as well, but I think Reddit does the "sum" style though and it works well enough and seems to be a little more aggressive for downvoted posts getting hidden that I've seen at least. Depends on how quick we want downvoted posts go get hidden/flagged as low quality or whatever.

IMHO, we should not publicly display who up/down voted on any post, I feel that's asking for more problems than it would solve by being anonymous.

How about on a up or down vote, you get nothing until say 5 people acknowledge it

I like this, that adds some weight to posts being affected by up/down voting. Though I do wonder if a weighted system would work here, it really depends on the topic and number of individuals interested and involved. But I like it! :)

As @rtwjunkie and @EarthDog have suggested, I have been on DIY forums to see the OP selects the post that best fixed the problem. An OP (not mod selected) answer that is highlighted reduces the clutter of votes.
As for being best solution, if the OP feels it helped the most, then it is a valid option. Obviously, such a system only works where technical help is required.
I still feel properly enforced moderation (less tolerance of idiotic posts) would make TPU far better than any voting system.

Agreed, if there is going to be any kind of "answer/solution found" situation, it should be chosen by the OP. I do like this system and have seen it work well elsewhere, not 100% sure it'll succeed here but I'd be game to try it. Not my call but I appreciate the feedback!

I actually like that Dorset. It brings it to a mod attention, with not the same stigma as report, for them to review for being off-topic.

That is an interesting suggestion, and I guess it depends on what is decided as we all proceed from this thread, the low quality post tool, and what W1z ultimately decides. Thanks @dorsetknob for sharing your thoughts on that prior.
  • Would you rather have a "Report LQ Post" over a community driven upvote/downvote system?

Thanks for the feedback so far folks! Let's keep this going and keep it constructive. :toast:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
In case you have been living under a rock, ocn has been bought out again, the final nail in the coffin of a dead forum.
Yeah, migrated to new owners at end of January and just last week still trying to nail down a rep system and fight ads showing up from the wild.

They seem to be in disarray right now, so you’re right, probably not the best place to look for ideas.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Your only 16 you don't have a rep yet.

I think in a limited function downvotes would be useful, it could allow members to express their distaste for shit posting in legit threads, and allow communities to self moderate. On the flip side it could allow for abuse, and perhaps limits to prevent mass downvoting, and something like only one downvote per thread you have not posted in, to prevent fans of either side from crapping.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
my "Suggestion" also has the Anonymity factor ( Apart from the Mod's viewing as with the Report Button :)).

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
This is a hard one for me. On one hand, I've seen a system like this work, think Reddit. However, Reddit has such a huge user base, that I think that is why it works out. I'd worry our user base is too small for a system like this to work. It would be too easy for someone to register a bunch of accounts and start downvoting posts from people they don't like. I mean, we are small enough that it is possible for 5 downvotes to make a difference.

But at the same time, putting some kind of limitation on who can downvote might work. Perhaps going by the number of likes a person has to determine how many downvotes they get. So maybe for every 2,500 likes a person has received, they get 1 downvote per 24 hours. So a person that has 10,000 likes gets 4 downvotes a day. It would give the community kind of a way to self moderate a little. But also prevent people from just creating a bunch of new accounts and using those to pick on people.

Last edited:
System Name Red Team Go
Processor AMD RYZEN 5 2600
Motherboard ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H55
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
Video Card(s) PowerColor RED DEVIL Radeon RX 580 8GB
Storage Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB Solid State Drive SH103S3, 2x WD Blue 500GB in RAID 0
Display(s) LG 34" Ultrawide IPS HDMI (34UM61-P)
Case NZXT GAMMA Classic Series
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro
This site is perfect if you ask me. I think a lot of IT minded people can't stop messing with things and the people that suffer are the end users. Are you really doing this to improve the site? Maybe you are trying too hard to figure out ways to better the site or justify to yourself that you are working on the site. So now, in my opinion, downvotes are just going to create a rift between the people here. I wouldn't do it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I was for about 8 years a member of a tech site called Experts Exchange. You had to pay, so you had people right off the bat who wanted to be there and behaved well.

Anyway, my thought was that the person with the question picked the best answer, obviously because that what was what fixed the problem. If someone neglected to pick a solution, a moderator attempted to wrangle one from the OP with a reminder. After a week of no selection, THEN the generally accepted most technically competent mods would select the best answer.

The system worked great, and the answer was readily visible first.
I remember that site. I also remember reading tons of messages marked as "answer" by the mod who posted it, without any feedback from the OP.

Wizz, I really appreciate all the time you're taking to try to work a solution, as well as taking all the feedback from our community here. Personally, I don't think anything short of a few more mods/mods with more spare time to police the forums will ultimately help the issue. I do think that, as much as I enjoy political banter on occasion, that we should introduce a strict "no political references" in the forums, with a very slight exception in the news threads, when it relates directly to current, previous, or upcoming party policies.
Fanbois, we'll never get rid of, and honestly, there are many people who support one camp or other providing completely acceptable and even productive feedback here. This method of "hiding" unworthy posts is particularly useful for those situations, I think.
As for the simply toxic individuals who constantly post noise and are simply chumming the water, even the ones who provide something of quality to the community on occasion, I'm sorry, I simply don't care. If we're going to build a better community here, we've got to weight the potentially useful input of these people against the much more constant responses of "LMGTFY noob" and the like.
If people enjoy these toxic conversations (and I admit to enjoying bashing political parties in general with the worst of people), let them wander to GN. After seeing some of the noise over there, I admit a small dismay at it being associated with the better quality threads here at TPU Main, but every building needs a toilet...

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
This is a hard one for me. On one had, I've seen a system like this work, think Reddit. However, Reddit has such a huge user base, that I think that is why it works out. I'd worry our user base is too small for a system like this to work. It would be too easy for someone to register a bunch of accounts and start downvoting posts from people they don't like. I mean, we are small enough that it is possible for 5 downvotes to make a difference.

But at the same time, putting some kind of limitation on who can downvote might work. Perhaps going by the number of likes a person has to determine how many downvotes they get. So maybe for every 2,500 likes a person has received, they get 1 downvote per 24 hours. So a person that has 10,000 likes gets 4 downvotes a day. It would give the community kind of a way to self moderate a little. But also prevent people from just creating a bunch of new accounts and using those to pick on people.
I agree with all of this post except the part about new id's just to downvote. Maybe that will happen, but I highly doubt it. I also believe it to be a one off situation more so than scorned members coming back to do such a thing.

That said, something else that needs worked on is the ability to keep banned members out. Seems they can't for whatever reason. How many ID's of that sew333/litwicki24 guy have I personally caught here? I think we are pushing a dozen. So, its not like if someone is banned here, it isn't easy to get right back in...I mean christ, you don't even have to change your IP (do you... and how easy is that anyway)... cookies won't do it... its like a sieve :(. This isn't including soft moderation where banned members were allowed back in...

Stop writing code to cover up weak practices...take a deeper look in the mirror and tighten the ship up the right way. :)

that we should introduce a strict "no political references" in the forums, with a very slight exception in the news threads, when it relates directly to current, previous, or upcoming party policies.
We do this at OCF, but, there aren't many people here talking political that I have seen... bigger fish to fry IMO.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
This is a hard one for me. On one had, I've seen a system like this work, think Reddit. However, Reddit has such a huge user base, that I think that is why it works out. I'd worry our user base is too small for a system like this to work. It would be too easy for someone to register a bunch of accounts and start downvoting posts from people they don't like. I mean, we are small enough that it is possible for 5 downvotes to make a difference.

I agree on the user base count being a concern for just how effective an up/down vote system would be on TPU. We would have to tune it over time, and I also where I don't know if a 5-vote limit for up/down effectiveness would be usable throughout the entire forum, though I still like that as suggested above by @Jetster .

I do like the idea you bring up limiting the down votes any one member is authorized to use attributed to something they've earned by spending time here. I feel though, if we add upvote/downvote we should remove the likes system, that is purely my opinion, but using the upvote to calculate likes/reputation as other sites do would replace our current like system IMHO. Maybe that's what you're thinking too though.

On the actual number of downvotes, were you thinking forum-wide or per-topic? I feel it would need to be a per-topic situation just to ensure that a member has the choice to downvote. Limiting it makes it count, but too limited makes it useless. Finding that fine line in a community this size could definitely be a challenge, but that leads to a question if that challenge is worth pursuing or not as well.

I also have another question that came to mind while responding to you that I'm curious to see what folks think. If we do deploy this system, should we allow up-votes and down-votes to be reversible if possible?

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
  • Do you guys think choosing the best answer will help some topics?
  • When the best answer is chosen, should the thread remain open or should it be closed at that point?

• Would you rather have a "Report LQ Post" over a community driven upvote/downvote system?

Thanks for the feedback so far folks! Let's keep this going and keep it constructive. :toast:

Bullet point 1: Sure, it'll help some topics, but the best answer may only be useful for some people when they're searching the problem. If Bob got 7 suggestions in his post about his system being slow and suggestion #5 works for him, doesn't mean it works for everyone else. Maybe Frank finds the tread and suggestion #2 would have worked for him. Then Jim comes along and suggestion #7 would have worked for him, but the readers only try to the "Best Answer" post and don't get a desired resolution.... It may just be better to allow the OP to mark the problem as resolved and not the exact post so others can read through and find what worked best for the OP or what works best for them.

Bullet point 2: You're damned if you and damned if you don't. Not sure what end of the spectrum would be more beneficial.

Bullet point 3: Huh....guess it depends on how much interaction you'd expect from readers. Usually if a post is crap or off-topic I just ignore it and move on. I'm not one that really up or down votes things. I hand out "Thanks" (or now known as "Likes") here from time to time, but those are for informal posts that provide me with information I need. I don't report posts unless they're clearly created just to spite/hate someone or provide absolutely wrong information to a problem.....these are far and few between for me, I'm not even sure if I've ever reported anyone here on TPU. I have on Steam forums - those can get nasty at times. I don't know how much help you'd receive from most readers to flag a post as off-topic. I know it would help bring issues to a mod's attention, but how much work do you expect a reader to assist with? Some readers will be great at this, lending a hand. Others, like me, not so much because I'm working on breezing through things and skipping over the stupid crap people post.

D

Deleted member 67555

This site is perfect if you ask me. I think a lot of IT minded people can't stop messing with things and the people that suffer are the end users. Are you really doing this to improve the site? Maybe you are trying too hard to figure out ways to better the site or justify to yourself that you are working on the site. So now, in my opinion, downvotes are just going to create a rift between the people here. I wouldn't do it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
First off... FatLeeAdama???
And with that pic...bwahahahaha
That is awesome...
This is a great community... But there's been issues with getting people help because some members just show up to be toxic... With no relevance to problem of the OP and it's exhausting to get through to see if the OP still needs help... And that's coming from a member POV... The mods are probably getting overwhelmed by it when they just want to help.
Something needs done... And w1Z is looking for an answer...
I'm happy he's asking what we think.. He doesn't have to... Which is another reason this is a great site.

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
How about all posts remain hidden until they get +5 ambiguous up votes.

Tagging posts with specific labels makes way more sense: Solution, Helpful, Thoughtful, Rude, Offensive, Garbage, etc, ... If you want quality posts, the readers have to put effort into deciphering it.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
How about all posts remain hidden until they get +5 ambiguous up votes.

Tagging posts with specific labels makes way more sense: Solution, Helpful, Thoughtful, Rude, Offensive, Garbage, etc, ... If you want quality posts, the readers have to put effort into deciphering it.

I'm not going to run around solving puzzles to read posts..... To many options make the system unworkable as well.