• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Three Kingdoms: Total War- System Specifications Revealed

I understand.

I play shooters, RPGs and strategies... all good games.
But I don t buy games with stack and loads and tons of DLCs. Unless it is in package.
And since Arma 3 and TW Rome II I don´t buy unoptimized games. You can call it bad engine games. And DLC dependent games. These teached me well.

I think games like TW or Arma must have good gameplay mechanisms and play smoothly, both of them operate in big worlds and heavy load is inevitably part of late game.
I am pretty sure writing new engine would come back cash easy. It would be also very much futureproof. Rather than pushing to limits old days engine which served well for Empire/Napoleon and Shogun II loosing time by impossible optimization, they could simplify some sophisticated gameplay mechanisms. Less dice rolling. Because when I see those crowds on battlefield I don t undestand all stuff going on. And if lightweighted it would work 2x faster at 90% current gameplay feeling. They could add new mechanics and get new players. Not only reskin whole games that I don t even buy because they are incomplete and barely playable.

In all games at the highest difficult I seldom ever see more than 1-2 enemy armies within range of each other. IF they are they seldom are full stacks. This will differer per person playing obviously but suffice to say I don't experience big enough slow downs to impact my ability to play the game or my enjoyment. (Total War has been quite sporadic depending on system configuration).

That said for massive 4v4 fights CA would have been better off limiting engagements to 2v2 thus solving the issue.
It is probably mod that finally made more chalenging AIs. Defeating 2 armies with my 3 or 4 stack was reallly boring. I was not limited, AI was.
I remember enemy 5 stacks. I think I had only 2 so I autofight for less suffering x). But it is something... that makes me want to be better at playing. (Diplomatics usually fucks this up eventually. Many enemies declare me war. I can t pay them off even when I play economically strength; or friendlies I got since beginning declare war to some village size state which is puppet of supersized :-D; So I quit game cause too hard cause diplomacy. So easy or hard, not normal difficulty.)

You must realize, that limiting to exclusive 2vs2 armies fight is high limitation of strategy. Myself I winning battles with cheap upkeep/strength ratio soldiers. 2 or 3 my armies vs 1 max 2 of them. Partially early and mid game mostly.
When only 2vs2 is the limit, then there will be only elite troops hiring. And without mod to make longer way to elite troops technology tree it would be boring. Only elite, no diversion... why would there be cheap ones? Then delete war tech tree? ... not a good idea

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 1700X 8-Core 3.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, 2x front Aerocool DS 140mm fans, 1x rear Aerocool DS 140mm fan
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil Vega 64
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB NVME SSD - Boot drive, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD - Main storage
Display(s) Acer XG270HU Red 27" 1ms 144HZ WQHD 2K FreeSync Gaming Monitor
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB C-Type Blackout Edition (Non TG)
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSP 301 Headset, Sennheiser Game Zero Special Edition Headset, Logitech Z623 System
Power Supply Seasonic AirTouch 850w 80 Plus Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Professional 64bit
Game looks awesome, but too bad it isn't optimized. Those specs for 60+ FPS at 1080p are a joke...

Game looks awesome, but too bad it isn't optimized. Those specs for 60+ FPS at 1080p are a joke...
TL,DR
crazyeyesreaper told here, that with current engine greater optimization is not possible.
I was suspecting it too as I have played Attila and saw last patches of Rome II. Though I am not programmer so who knows, there may be some wierdo kindo solution

But this is an RTS game, not a bloody twitch shooter like CS:GO or an APM bound one like Starcraft, so there is no need for stable 60+ fps.

...thought I am abandoning this discussion as it is strange to talk so much BUT... :-D

Yes, it is not competitive FPS game, so 120FPS and Gsync is not needed.
Yet as it is not turn based strategy, but real time strategy, 40FPS is treshold for me then bellow mouse movement is also choppy, I like comfy 60.
I have seen 25FPS first CPU core hitting 100% and that is problemish.

But I have not played Warrhammer DX 12 games about which crazyeyesreaper said it is more than 40FPS.
Three Kingdoms are probably going to bear this tweaked DX 12 engine.

The only questions is: Fantasy, or kinda realism as we seen in Rome II, Shogun II?

I too would like a stable 60 fps experience. Meanwhile DX12 has worse performance, for me, on both a RX570 and on a 1070Ti in Warhammer 1 and 2.
Fantasy for me, TW Shogun was revolutionary for it's day back in 2002, when i first played it. But with no historical accuracy to worry about, a rich lore with multiple races and factions. Magic and air units, Warhammer is the best for me. I have about 1500 hours in both Warhammer 1 and 2.
Hope that after the 3rd game they would continue with the Warhammer 40k setting.