• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttling On Intel i5-8250U

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
It does not really matter. There is a duplicate set of turbo power limits. The long term power limit is set equal to the TDP which is 15W. There is no way to get beyond this limit on your laptop.

You can set ThrottleStop to 25W but it is still going to throttle to 15W based on the limit that is set internally.

dragon404

@danker1990

here is my .ini file I have adjusted it a little, and I just benchmark it and got 1570 on Cinebench you may want to adjust the settings to suit you; even though the same core i5-8250u but there might be inconsistencies from different manufactures...

I have included the whole software in the .rar file you can use it or just replace the .ini file.

So how should I set my turbo boost power limits?

it depends on how much heat and power your device can take for me I found a sweet spot of 28-30. just change and test for yourself.

Attachments

• ThrottleStop.rar
    198.1 KB · Views: 1,907

danker1990

Thanks dragon404 it was better than my setup that i followed everyone's posts.

Zerobladxx

It does not really matter. There is a duplicate set of turbo power limits. The long term power limit is set equal to the TDP which is 15W. There is no way to get beyond this limit on your laptop.

You can set ThrottleStop to 25W but it is still going to throttle to 15W based on the limit that is set internally.

Hi. Maybe you can help me i have lenovo laptop with i5 8250u and i've tried all methods in this thread. And i have problem with temperature max limit and power limit. Its limited to 72c before its started to throttling down and power its only limited to 25w. Any solution please? Thankyou

unclewebb

@Zerobladxx - ThrottleStop has a new feature that might help with your temperature problem.

In the Options window there is a new setting called PROCHOT Offset. Set that to 2 and above that check the box, Lock PROCHOT Offset. Press OK and then open the screen back up to make sure the lock was set.

Any solution please?
I need to see some pictures of how you have ThrottleStop setup. It would also be good to use ThrottleStop to create a log file so I can see how your CPU is running while you are using it. If you have an Nvidia GPU, remember to check that option in ThrottleStop.

Zerobladxx

@Zerobladxx - ThrottleStop has a new feature that might help with your temperature problem.

In the Options window there is a new setting called PROCHOT Offset. Set that to 2 and above that check the box, Lock PROCHOT Offset. Press OK and then open the screen back up to make sure the lock was set.

I need to see some pictures of how you have ThrottleStop setup. It would also be good to use ThrottleStop to create a log file so I can see how your CPU is running while you are using it. If you have an Nvidia GPU, remember to check that option in ThrottleStop.

okay, first thankyou for your respond, this is all my screenshot of throttlestop app, i follow all instruction and advice in this thread. so the max temperature it increase on 77c but the max power still on 25w. and my laptop using radeon 530 but i can't checked the amd gpu in option page.

Attachments

• after running cinebench.jpg
    after running cinebench.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,284
  • TPL.jpg
    TPL.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,297
  • FIVR.jpg
    FIVR.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Option.jpg
    Option.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,138

unclewebb

max temperature it increase on 77°C
We're making progress.

In the TPL window set the long and short turbo power limits to 35.

Open up Limit Reasons and run a TS Bench test. While this test is running and your CPU is fully loaded, show me a screenshot of ThrottleStop and Limit Reasons together. Run the longer 1024M test. You can stop this test after taking a screenshot. Try to take a screenshot while the CPU is throttling at 25W. You should see PL1 or PL2 in red in ThrottleStop if one of the power limits is causing throttling. You might see something else in red. Maybe something else is causing the throttling.

Your screenshots above are confusing. The first one shows that Speed Shift is enabled but your second and third screenshots show that Speed Shift is not enabled. When taking screenshots, make sure you have not made changes to your settings or it makes troubleshooting the problem more difficult.

The 8250U has a 15W TDP rating. Long term, some laptops with this CPU are locked down to 15W and there is nothing you can do about it.

Zerobladxx

We're making progress.

In the TPL window set the long and short turbo power limits to 35.

Open up Limit Reasons and run a TS Bench test. While this test is running and your CPU is fully loaded, show me a screenshot of ThrottleStop and Limit Reasons together. Run the longer 1024M test. You can stop this test after taking a screenshot. Try to take a screenshot while the CPU is throttling at 25W. You should see PL1 or PL2 in red in ThrottleStop if one of the power limits is causing throttling. You might see something else in red. Maybe something else is causing the throttling.

Your screenshots above are confusing. The first one shows that Speed Shift is enabled but your second and third screenshots show that Speed Shift is not enabled. When taking screenshots, make sure you have not made changes to your settings or it makes troubleshooting the problem more difficult.

The 8250U has a 15W TDP rating. Long term, some laptops with this CPU are locked down to 15W and there is nothing you can do about it.

sorry if my screenshot before makes confusing, here is some screen shot again, i already change min max tpl on 35, and running TS bench with Limit Reason. tsbench.jpg shows when the CPU throttling at 25W. tsbench2.jpg shows when CPU throttling at 15w

Attachments

• tpl min max 35.jpg
    tpl min max 35.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 814
  • tsbench.jpg
    tsbench.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 802
  • ts bench 2.jpg
    ts bench 2.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 763

unclewebb

@Zerobladxx - Some manufacturers on some of their laptops enforce the turbo power limits. This is controlled by an embedded controller (EC). When this happens, you cannot use ThrottleStop to set higher power limits. The power limits set by the EC, PL1=15W and PL2=25W, are the power limits that your CPU must obey. There is no way to get beyond these limits.

I also bought a Lenovo laptop. The C930 model that I bought does not use the EC to enforce the turbo power limits. On this model, the turbo power limits that ThrottleStop lets you set are the ones that the CPU uses. This makes a big difference in full load performance.

Zerobladxx

@Zerobladxx - Some manufacturers on some of their laptops enforce the turbo power limits. This is controlled by an embedded controller (EC). When this happens, you cannot use ThrottleStop to set higher power limits. The power limits set by the EC, PL1=15W and PL2=25W, are the power limits that your CPU must obey. There is no way to get beyond these limits.

I also bought a Lenovo laptop. The C930 model that I bought does not use the EC to enforce the turbo power limits. On this model, the turbo power limits that ThrottleStop lets you set are the ones that the CPU uses. This makes a big difference in full load performance.

hmm okay then, thankyou so much for the information, i learn a lot from you and other people to. my laptop model is v330. nice to discuss with you

danker1990

With Throttlestop being updated to 9.0 has anyone changed their setups or adapted them to the new features.

unclewebb

@danker1990 - What new features? The biggest change in ThrottleStop 9.0 was the switch to a new, more secure, driver. The only recent change of importance is the adjustable PROCHOT Offset feature which has been discussed in this thread. This feature only seems important for Lenovo laptops. They like to change the thermal throttling temperature while you are using your laptop. Putting a check mark beside the new Lock PROCHOT Offset feature in the Options window will prevent that from happening.

If you are having any problems, do some Cinebench R20 testing and post lots of screenshots. With Limit Reasons open, you can watch for any throttling issues while Cinebench R20 is running. Some 8th Gen U CPUs can run indefinitely at way beyond 15W and some are locked to 15W long term and there is nothing you can do about it.

You can make some voltage tweaks but this needs to be done on each individual laptop. Getting voltage settings from other users is not the best way to get the most out of a laptop.

danker1990

my P
@danker1990 - What new features? The biggest change in ThrottleStop 9.0 was the switch to a new, more secure, driver. The only recent change of importance is the adjustable PROCHOT Offset feature which has been discussed in this thread. This feature only seems important for Lenovo laptops. They like to change the thermal throttling temperature while you are using your laptop. Putting a check mark beside the new Lock PROCHOT Offset feature in the Options window will prevent that from happening.

If you are having any problems, do some Cinebench R20 testing and post lots of screenshots. With Limit Reasons open, you can watch for any throttling issues while Cinebench R20 is running. Some 8th Gen U CPUs can run indefinitely at way beyond 15W and some are locked to 15W long term and there is nothing you can do about it.

You can make some voltage tweaks but this needs to be done on each individual laptop. Getting voltage settings from other users is not the best way to get the most out of a laptop.

My PL2 is lighting up red which must mean i have a 25W limit so need to lower my numbers to 25 short and long i presume. Also my EDP Other is also lighting red. All the others remain yellow.
Screenshot.png

unclewebb

@danker1990 - Have you checked the box, FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits? That can help with power throttling in some laptops. What have you set your power limits to in the TPL window?

Does your computer continue to run at 25W throughout the Cinebench test or does it drop lower when PL1 throttling starts?

EDP OTHER under the RING column will always light up in red whenever PL1 or PL2 or THERMAL are red under the CORE column. You can ignore EDP OTHER when it is doing this. The box in red under the CORE column is the important one.

danker1990

@danker1990 - Have you checked the box, FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits? That can help with power throttling in some laptops. What have you set your power limits to in the TPL window?

Does your computer continue to run at 25W throughout the Cinebench test or does it drop lower when PL1 throttling starts?

EDP OTHER under the RING column will always light up in red whenever PL1 or PL2 or THERMAL are red under the CORE column. You can ignore EDP OTHER when it is doing this. The box in red under the CORE column is the important one.
Yes the box is ticked for disabling the lock.
no, i changed the setting to 25 long and short hence the limit. since then i increased the short and long to 33 and took my offset down to -115.2v.
No, the throttling happens also below the 25w limit but it does remain at 25W mostly throughout the test.

This is using the new 9.2 with adjusted benchmark figures.

Schreenshot.png

Follow up from my previous setup. I have reverted to dragon404 setup so gives you a better understanding of the current situation. With his setup, im guaranteed to throttle when running any benchmark. When using my adaptive setup no marker of throttling except for the occasional blip. so my understanding is 28 and below on short and long causes guaranteed throttling around 32 and above the throttling does fade to occasional but does push my thermal temp to 100oc.

Last edited:

unclewebb

With his setup, im guaranteed to throttle
I like your setup better. ThrottleStop is allowing you to run your 8250U which has a 15W TDP rating at over 30W. I call that a success story.

If your heatsink can handle 30W or 32W then set your long term turbo power limit to that. For the short term turbo power limit, you can use that or a little more. Default for my 8th Gen laptop is 44W for the short limit. If you go with a big number like that, you should lower the turbo time limit because the heatsink cannot handle that kind of power for more than 1 or 2 seconds. The default 28 second turbo time limit would be too much sustained heat.

No matter what power limits you decide to use, thermal throttling will protect your CPU from exceeding the maximum safe operating temperature which Intel says is 100°C.

Amadeus

Hello everyone, I'm having some problem while trying to bench my undervolt settings. Whenever I used Cinebench R15 the PKG Power will boost up to 19 W with mostly staying on 18.7 W and 2.5 Ghz Clock. The Limit Reasons is showing up red PL2 . But what I find strange is that after a few minutes running the bench the PL1 suddenly got flashed red and resetted my CPU PKG power from 18.7 W to 14.8 W. This lowers my clockspeed to around 2.2 Ghz and severely impact my Cinebench score. I honestly just wanna try to go above 500 on Cinebench R15.

Attachments

• FIVR.png
    FIVR.png
    47 KB · Views: 519
  • TPL.png
    TPL.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 528
  • Options.png
    Options.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 503
  • Before PL1.png
    Before PL1.png
    312.8 KB · Views: 511
  • After PL1.png
    After PL1.png
    332.4 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:

unclewebb

The 8250U has a 15W TDP rating. When a CPU is run at full load, some manufacturers will enforce this power limit. Your CPU will power limit throttle so it does not exceed 15W. That is exactly what I am seeing. This power limit is set internally. There is nothing you can do with software like ThrottleStop to get beyond this limit.

Some OEMs leave the power limits wide open. Your laptop is power limit locked. It appears to be using a short term power limit of 19W and a long term limit of 15W. You need a different laptop if you want to go beyond those limits.

Amadeus

The 8250U has a 15W TDP rating. When a CPU is run at full load, some manufacturers will enforce this power limit. Your CPU will power limit throttle so it does not exceed 15W. That is exactly what I am seeing. This power limit is set internally. There is nothing you can do with software like ThrottleStop to get beyond this limit.

Some OEMs leave the power limits wide open. Your laptop is power limit locked. It appears to be using a short term power limit of 19W and a long term limit of 15W. You need a different laptop if you want to go beyond those limits.
Well at least I still managed to lower temperature while gaming I guess. Thank you for your answers!

PrinceGodiva

Yes the box is ticked for disabling the lock.
no, i changed the setting to 25 long and short hence the limit. since then i increased the short and long to 33 and took my offset down to -115.2v.
No, the throttling happens also below the 25w limit but it does remain at 25W mostly throughout the test.

This is using the new 9.2 with adjusted benchmark figures.

View attachment 165244

Follow up from my previous setup. I have reverted to dragon404 setup so gives you a better understanding of the current situation. With his setup, im guaranteed to throttle when running any benchmark. When using my adaptive setup no marker of throttling except for the occasional blip. so my understanding is 28 and below on short and long causes guaranteed throttling around 32 and above the throttling does fade to occasional but does push my thermal temp to 100oc.

Will you willing to share your setting.ini for I5-8250u? I'm using asus A442UF. When I played PES 2021, the cpu clock boost for just a minute the drop to just 1 GHZ, I don't understand whats wrong here.