• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Toms hardware now getting payed by Nvidia?

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I didn't need a crystal ball. All I needed was some history on Nvidia GPUs. The 6xx and 7xx were both Kepler architectures. The gaming Flagship of the Keplers was the 780 Ti. You don't go by the naming of the the chip GKxxx (although that's a big hint) or the price. You look at the Memory Bus and the die size/transistor count. The 780 Ti had a 384 bit Memory Bus versus the 680 with a 256 bit Memory Bus and the 780 Ti was 561mm² with 7 billion transistors and the 680 was 294mm² with 3.5 billion transistors.

These are clearly in 2 entirely separate categories and imo there is only 1 Flagship per architecture. If Nvidia had released the 2060 first would that have been the gaming Turing Flagship until the 2080 Ti was released?

People have the tendency to treat every company out there and their products like some sort of indecipherable black box. If a product isn't released yet it doesn't exist and has no prospects of doing so as far as they're concerned, some metaphysics type shit.

That's a stupid, closed minded approach to these thing, every god damn product stack from Intel/AMD/Nvidia is built TOP-down. If you can't even understand and accept that as a basic fact of this industry then everything will always require a crystal ball from your perspective.

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Yeah, because "Ngreedia" isn't emotive in any way shape or form.
Playing fair i dont call them that typically so forgot i had ,fair enough , I don't like their prices though ,fact, and they are greedy so I too just spoke facts.

Last edited:
I find friends in the real world more appealing ,and your getting personal , hurt much .
I prefer unbiased everything ,,that's why your biased writing tend's to spark a response but , please , keep the personal opinions of me to yourself or feel free to pm me for that discussion , it is'nt anymore on topic is it, Susan.
My comments about your style of writing aren't personal. You're showing no respect to your interlocutors by writing posts that need deciphering. I can't believe this is the way you write normally (living in UK), so what does that mean? We're not worthy?
It's not like I'm expecting a lot. We have "payed" in the topic. It hurts every time I look, but people make mistakes.
But you're not making mistakes. You're using your own dialect.

And BTW, this is from forum guidelines:
"Use clear and appropriate language, of course not everyone speaks perfect English, this isn't an excuse not to try. Correct language and punctuation make things easy to read."

Last edited:
System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
how many times are you gonna tell the fermi-kepler story grandpas ?

My comments about your style of writing aren't personal. You're showing no respect to your interlocutors by writing posts that need deciphering. I can't believe this is the way you write normally (living in UK), so what does that mean? We're not worth?
It's not like I'm expecting a lot. We have "payed" in the topic. It hurts every time I look, but people make mistakes.

"Use clear and appropriate language, of course not everyone speaks perfect English, this isn't an excuse not to try. Correct language and punctuation make things easy to read."
True dat. His lows certainly provide more amusement than your uptight reprobacy. God I want to be an ai chatbot in afterlife. Me so good.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
My comments about your style of writing aren't personal. You're showing no respect to your interlocutors by writing posts that need deciphering. I can't believe this is the way you write normally (living in UK), so what does that mean? We're not worthy?

You have issues then, best off, as i said , keeping the off topic shit , that's just about me ,out of thread's , pm.

I use English words via a pone ,sorry sir lolZ.

And you took days to reply , why bother with off topic shit.

reading all make me wonder why you quantify time so hardly and even translate it in money; is this the way you live? counting minutes/hrs as lost income? honestly i see you're smart but you can't expect that everyone else should check the watch every minute and calculating how much time was lost by reading/hobby and than banging the wall :banghead: because it was used without making any productive thing which may be an income...
By all means, no. Actually I'm wasting a lot of time daily, not just on this forum. ;-)

Of course it is good to find deals and look for good value, but going to far with this just lowers the quality of life (unless you really have a lot of pleasure from choosing things, not using them ;-) ).

Because once looking for best value product takes you more time than you would need to earn the missing cash, this stops making sense, right?
You're not making an optimal choice as a consumer. You could have got the more expensive alternative.

Some of us have this great privilege of being able to take paid overtime in their normal job. If you're a doctor, a programmer, a stock analyst or something like that - it's a no-brainer. Your work is worth a lot.
But even if you can't, there are still options that could be better than "deal hunting". That's why I gave the example of doing something extremely simple (for minimal wage).

sorry but i can't hold myself and must ask: are you a robot ? o_O if yes press on keypad * ; please press # for calculating lost time in the last 24 hr; please press *# for knowing lost income; please press ...:roll: , i like joking hope you didn't take it personally, but if yes press ## :roll:
Well... it's likely I'm pretty close to that description. I push a lot of "buttons" that tell me how long things work or how long some tasks lasted in the last day/week etc. Both as a hobby and at work. :)
But this doesn't really impact my approach to the subject we're discussing. The idea that you can work extra time to get fancy stuff is totally obvious to almost every teenager. For some reason we forget this once we get old.
i loose a lot of time by reading ,pc related news hardware-reviews etc, and other stuff which i consider interesting ,from my point of view; i decide how much time i'm willing to spend for this;to answer you i "loose" maybe average 2 hrs daily ; i don't loose financially because a lot of this time is at work ; break, coffee break etc...+ there i organize my time as i want as the only important thing is the result
Sure. On this forum we all do this. It's a hobby like any other (not the most productive, but also far from the worst).
I'm only reacting when people start to generalize too much. For example: who would buy mainstream parts from Intel or Nvidia, when AMD makes something just as good for less money? Well: someone who spent the last 10 years reading medicine journals, not GPU reviews. He doesn't have to know AMD exists to be happy about his PC. :)
guess what i gain ? information- i like to learn and develop my knowledge as doesn't hurt to know more even i'm aware that i'll never know enough....but that is being human and not an inferior species
Of course. All I'm saying: learning which PC part has best value is not worth much. You could spend this time in a way more efficient way. And many people do, so they can afford expensive stuff. :)

And back to the topic: what if Tom's hardware isn't paid by anyone (or even "payed")?
Maybe they're simply creating content for the kind of people I'm talking about: focused on mainstream products, not really interested in technical stuff?

Even if a surgeon always buys Nvidia and doesn't know what AMD is, he will like to know if that latest 2080Ti is better than his 1080Ti.

Think what he'll find on most sites: overly technical, long texts that focus on many aspects he won't understand (OC? PCB? WTF?)
Tom's hardware is a lot more friendly to these casual readers.
Compare this:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-turing-tu116,6027.html
and this:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-gaming-x-review,1.html

Last edited:
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Of course. All I'm saying: learning which PC part has best value is not worth much. You could spend this time in a way more efficient way. And many people do, so they can afford expensive stuff. :)

You have a very naive understanding of the value of skills in a free labor market. Many people work harder and longer hours then me but don't make us much money as I do because of my skill set. There are also many people who have higher demand skills then I yet work even less hours and make more money. You seem to think the opportunity cost of not making money is making money and that simply is not true.

Also your definition of quality of life is rather off target.

Last edited:
If you're a doctor, a programmer, a stock analyst or something like that - it's a no-brainer. For example: who would buy mainstream parts from Intel or Nvidia, when AMD makes something just as good for less money?
Lol, I knew you were the doctor when you put your profession in relative order.
Well: someone who spent the last 10 years reading medicine journals, not GPU reviews.
See, that is where you are wrong. You could always go full retard.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
By all means, no. Actually I'm wasting a lot of time daily, not just on this forum. ;-)

Of course it is good to find deals and look for good value, but going to far with this just lowers the quality of life (unless you really have a lot of pleasure from choosing things, not using them ;-) ).

Because once looking for best value product takes you more time than you would need to earn the missing cash, this stops making sense, right?
You're not making an optimal choice as a consumer. You could have got the more expensive alternative.

Some of us have this great privilege of being able to take paid overtime in their normal job. If you're a doctor, a programmer, a stock analyst or something like that - it's a no-brainer. Your work is worth a lot.
But even if you can't, there are still options that could be better than "deal hunting". That's why I gave the example of doing something extremely simple (for minimal wage).

Well... it's likely I'm pretty close to that description. I push a lot of "buttons" that tell me how long things work or how long some tasks lasted in the last day/week etc. Both as a hobby and at work. :)
But this doesn't really impact my approach to the subject we're discussing. The idea that you can work extra time to get fancy stuff is totally obvious to almost every teenager. For some reason we forget this once we get old.

Sure. On this forum we all do this. It's a hobby like any other (not the most productive, but also far from the worst).
I'm only reacting when people start to generalize too much. For example: who would buy mainstream parts from Intel or Nvidia, when AMD makes something just as good for less money? Well: someone who spent the last 10 years reading medicine journals, not GPU reviews. He doesn't have to know AMD exists to be happy about his PC. :)

And back to the topic: what if Tom's hardware isn't paid by anyone (or even "payed")?
Maybe they're simply creating content for the kind of people I'm talking about: focused on mainstream products, not really interested in technical stuff?

Even if a surgeon always buys Nvidia and doesn't know what AMD is, he will like to know if that latest 2080Ti is better than his 1080Ti.

Think what he'll find on most sites: overly technical, long texts that focus on many aspects he won't understand (OC? PCB? WTF?)
Tom's hardware is a lot more friendly to these casual readers.
Compare this:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-turing-tu116,6027.html
and this:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-gaming-x-review,1.html
Blah blah blah.

Your on a pc hardware enthusiasts site in a thread about another site's legitimacy.

And your trying to talk people out of reading tech reviews as it's a waste of time.

With a wall of text.

Irony is lost on you.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I remember the “How modern CPUs handle the HSF falling off” debate from long ago. That article caused such a geek-storm, with people actually recommending a P4 over a Palomino simply because “AMD has thermal issues.” Ironically, I actually had this happen once due to a cheap CompUSA copper cooler busting the lugs on the socket off, but my 1900 XP successfully shut down to no damage. This was the Wild West of CPU era—most CPUs still shipped with bare dies and you could crunch one with a bad HSF install.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
just going to point out the THG germany, run by igor wallossek, owns a license to use the THG name and that's about where any association ends.