• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club

System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Cooling Xigmatech Tower Cooler
Memory 16 GB G-Skill 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080ti 11GB
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Display(s) Acer 27" 1440P
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element DAC/AMP
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650 watt
Mouse MX 518
Keyboard Cherry 3000 with Blues
Hi,
Long time lurker, I really enjoy reading all the excellent info & discussion here from people who know far more than me :) about hardware i wanted, but never got to own. Please keep it up :clap:

Time to break my silence to celebrate a birthday.... 20yrs ago I built my first new custom PC to take to University.
I found the receipt recently and thought the spec/price comparison was interesting.

View attachment 261290
(Excuse the photo, no digital camera yet)

Not bleeding edge but not budget, I worked all summer to pay for it and hoped it would last me for a while.....

View attachment 261291

It was a huge upgrade to my hand me down PII with matrox graphics.
I grabbed a pioneer slot DVD and a few other bits from computer fairs, had a Dell OEM Soundblaster Live and reused an old 8.4GB hard drive until upgrading to 40GB later that year for £68!

In hindsight an Athlon XP system would have been cheaper and probably just as fast?

A few changes over the years - upgraded to an ATI 9800 pro, lost the dialup modem, memory etc, but it's still working fine and now my retro XP PC.
I still love the Lian Li PC60 but can't cable manage in it :)

View attachment 261292
View attachment 261293

Thanks for celebrating this milestone birthday with me :) does any one else have a nice build story or system birthday to celebrate?
Nice! I had the same case in black.

Attachments

• PC1.jpg
    PC1.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 78
Processor i9-11900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Alienware RTX 3090 OEM
Storage OEM Kioxia 2tb NVMe (OS), 4TB WD Blue HDD (games)
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance (black)
Audio Device(s) Logitech Pro X Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite 2
Hi,
Long time lurker, I really enjoy reading all the excellent info & discussion here from people who know far more than me :) about hardware i wanted, but never got to own. Please keep it up :clap:

Time to break my silence to celebrate a birthday.... 20yrs ago I built my first new custom PC to take to University.
I found the receipt recently and thought the spec/price comparison was interesting.

View attachment 261290

Not bleeding edge but not budget, I worked all summer to pay for it and hoped it would last me for a while.....

View attachment 261291

I grabbed a pioneer slot DVD and a few other bits from computer fairs, had a Dell OEM Soundblaster Live and reused an old 8.4GB hard drive until upgrading to 40GB later that year for £68!

In hindsight an Athlon XP system would have been cheaper and probably just as fast?

A few changes over the years - upgraded to an ATI 9800 pro, lost the dialup modem, memory etc, but it's still working fine and now my retro XP PC.

View attachment 261292
View attachment 261293

Thanks for celebrating this milestone birthday with me :) does any one else have a nice build story or system birthday to celebrate?
I picked up a PC with a golden variant of this case off of Craigslist. On the bottom 5.25" bay the filler has a golden dragon. There is a 3-speed fan control switch behind that brown part the power and reset switch are on, but the fans are hooked up to a splitter so the speed doesn't have to be changed manually. The previous owner put in a Phenom II X4 955 BE, 2x Powercolor Radeon 6850s, a 1000w OCZ power supply (the fan is very loud, I'll probably replace it at some point), and 2x8GB 1600MHz DDR3. My only hardware change was adding a new drive for the OS.
1662839092744.png
1662839181268.png

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I picked up a PC with a golden variant of this case off of Craigslist. On the bottom 5.25" bay the filler has a golden dragon. There is a 3-speed fan control switch behind that brown part the power and reset switch are on, but the fans are hooked up to a splitter so the speed doesn't have to be changed manually. The previous owner put in a Phenom II X4 955 BE, 2x Powercolor Radeon 6850s, a 1000w OCZ power supply (the fan is very loud, I'll probably replace it at some point), and 2x8GB 1600MHz DDR3. My only hardware change was adding a new drive for the OS.View attachment 261317View attachment 261318
Wow, I absolutely adore that faux-wood detailing.

Hi,

View attachment 261290

View attachment 261291

View attachment 261292
View attachment 261293

Hehe :) nice rig!

Hehe :) nice rig!
Thanks, it's served me well :) I don't think any of my modern systems will still be with me in 20yrs time.
Will there be much nostalgia for modern PCs that change so fast but with little noticable improvement?

Nice! I had the same case in black.
The black looks great, a window as well, very posh :) more sophisticated somehow, I'd be worried about scratches, does the silver show through?
Mines had a hard life with alot of scratches & marks now but the brushed finish hides them pretty well.

I picked up a PC with a golden variant of this case off of Craigslist. On the bottom 5.25" bay the filler has a golden dragon. There is a 3-speed fan control switch behind that brown part the power and reset switch are on, but the fans are hooked up to a splitter so the speed doesn't have to be changed manually. The previous owner put in a Phenom II X4 955 BE, 2x Powercolor Radeon 6850s, a 1000w OCZ power supply (the fan is very loud, I'll probably replace it at some point), and 2x8GB 1600MHz DDR3. My only hardware change was adding a new drive for the OS.View attachment 261317View attachment 261318

That is an amazing colour!! I've never seen one other than silver and black, was it a special edition / promotional? I suppose there's nothing to stop the panels being anodized any colour you'd want.....

Wow, I absolutely adore that faux-wood detailing.
Faux wood instead of faux carbon fibre :)

I'm not sure if it was the quality of the motherboards or chipsets I had access to at the time (school&friends), but for all its faults I found the Pentium 4 (478) to be more stable than the Athlon XP, but probably slower yes :)

Love the brass colour!

It looks a cool coulerd case how much did you pay for it?
I should think you paid a few bob for that..

Last edited:
Processor i9-11900K
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
It looks a cool coulerd case how much did you pay for it?I should think you paid a few bob for that..
Believe it or not, the seller was giving it away for free! However, when we met up it was clear he had an emotional connection to this rig, so I gave him 60 bucks.

Processor i9-11900K
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
On the topic of old sexy cases, check out this bad boy I bought at VCFMW on Saturday:
1663033953340.png
1663033980236.png

1663034002145.png
1663034098786.png
1663034056979.png

Sorry for the big pic dump, but it looks amazing from all angles. I haven't gotten around to cleaning it yet, I've been busy doing things like building a desk, so I don't have to keep it on the floor :)
The PC is 100% functional, and it has Windows XP SP3 installed. It runs Starcraft and Far Cry beautifully at 1680x1050, and the WD Raptor makes everything a breeze. Not one capacitor on any component is showing signs of leakage. Everything is in amazing condition. Easily one of my best purchases.
In case you're curious about the specific model of Athlon 64 4000+ (like I was), it seems to be the first generation, Clawhammer.
According to GPU-Z, the card has the same clocks as the Nvidia model.

System Name Gamer
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WIFI
Cooling Apogee XL, MCR360, MCP655, Micro-rez
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Storage WD SN850 1TB & SN750 1TB
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" 1440p 144Hz
Case Rocketfish (Lian Li) e-ATX
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon HK695 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GM-750
Mouse HP Gaming wired
Keyboard Logitech G110 wired
VR HMD HP WMR 1440^2
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
The Abit uGuru panel is not something you see every day. I have one too, but it’s on my AW9D-Max Core2Duo board. You got a really nice collection of hardware in that box.

Last edited:
On the topic of old sexy cases, check out this bad boy I bought at VCFMW on Saturday:
View attachment 261553View attachment 261554
View attachment 261555View attachment 261557View attachment 261556
Sorry for the big pic dump, but it looks amazing from all angles. I haven't gotten around to cleaning it yet, I've been busy doing things like building a desk, so I don't have to keep it on the floor :)
The PC is 100% functional, and it has Windows XP SP3 installed. It runs Starcraft and Far Cry beautifully at 1680x1050, and the WD Raptor makes everything a breeze. Not one capacitor on any component is showing signs of leakage. Everything is in amazing condition. Easily one of my best purchases.
In case you're curious about the specific model of Athlon 64 4000+ (like I was), it seems to be the first generation, Clawhammer.
Another cool-looking PC, at a bargain price.:)
Vintage Computer Fair, but what does MW stand for? o_OMid Week?

Last edited:
Processor i9-11900K
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse MX 518
View attachment 261553View attachment 261554
View attachment 261555View attachment 261557View attachment 261556
Nice! I had the Abit AN8 a long time ago but traded up soon (I was dumb). That case is in good condition too. :rockout:
Is that a removable Mobo tray?

Interesting video but would you buy it, Of course, you would not at that price.o_O
He's absolutely correct about a lot of points, even if he's a bit cheezy. And he forgot to enable AGP in the bios, which is why none of the cards would post.. Those boards come from the factory with the AGP port disabled. However, no it's not worth $1000 for retro Win9X gaming...

EDIT:
Loved the BSOD when he tried the headset. Welcome to my world 2 decades ago.. For the record, Windows ME never had those problems. USB support on WinME was wonderful unlike the, at times, glitchy mess of 98/98SE.

Last edited:
Processor i9-11900K
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Nice! I had the Abit AN8 a long time ago but traded up soon (I was dumb). That case is in good condition too. :rockout:
Is that a removable Mobo tray?
Yes, it is removable! Very neat feature.

System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse MX 518

The Complete History of the Home Microprocessor​

I just had to show this! :roll:

The Complete History of the Home Microprocessor​

Finally had a chance to sit down to watch this and I've got to say that it was seriously disappointing. There were many instances of stated information that were either off the mark or patently false. Simple fact checking would have made all the difference(assuming this was not a sad attempt at rewriting history). It got a LOT wrong. Well presented, certainly, but deeply and factually flawed.

Additionally, the final conclusions of the narrator are as misinformed as they are misguided. CISC/X86/X64 is going nowhere. RISC is a solid platform and gives mobile devices life, but they are no substitution for CISC in general computing. And before anyone touts Apples M-series RISC SOC line, those are very niche, requires buying into the very limiting Apple ecosystem and have ZERO backward compatibility, even with Apples own software. While CISC has some challenges ahead, this is nothing new. There have always been challenges to overcome and there always will. Never slowed things down before and it is doubtful that the mantra of the industry, "Necessity being the mother of all invention." will change anytime soon.

There seems to be a small sub-group of people out there that seem to think CISC has reached an end. This is simply not true and will not be true anytime soon. My supporting evidence? History. It is not only the best teacher but it shows that everytime we hit a road-block in performance or advancement, an innovation is found that propels everything forward. Most of the people frequenting this thread knows that history by having lived it. That experience teaches us that there is always a way forward. RISC is not that way forward for most forms of computing tasks, including mainstream gaming.

Last edited:
System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
RISC is a solid platform and gives mobile devices life, but they are no substitution for CISC in general computing. And before anyone touts Apples M-series RISC SOC line, those are very niche, requires buying into the very limiting Apple ecosystem and have ZERO backward compatibility, even with Apples own software. While CISC has some challenges ahead, this is nothing new. There have always been challenges to overcome and there always will. Never slowed things down before and it is doubtful that the mantra of the industry, "Necessity being the mother of all invention." will change anytime soon.

There seems to be a small sub-group of people out there that seem to think CISC has reached an end. This is simply not true and will not be true anytime soon. My supporting evidence? History. It is not only the best teacher but it shows that everytime we hit a road-block in performance or advancement, an innovation is found that propels everything forward. Most of the people frequenting this thread knows that history by having lived it. That experience teaches us that there is always a way forward. RISC is not that way forward for most forms of computing tasks, including mainstream gaming.
An interesting perspective, but one that could go by the wayside with any company adopting a little something called UCIe.

Ok, that was a little dramatic. However, the backwards compatibility and universality of x86 has been its lifeblood. ARM/RISC cannot compete with the established ecosystem of x86. However, it is now easy for chiplets to be connected in new ways - imagine 4 RISC cores to run Windows and truly background tasks such as AV, indexing, etc. and a 8 core x86 chiplet exposed to programs running within the Windows environment. Mobile/laptops could add efficient RISC and reduce the big and power-hungry x86 cores. Anyways, I am not saying that it will happen, just that it could. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Finally had a chance to sit down to watch this and I've got to say that it was seriously disappointing. There were many instances of stated information that were either off the mark or patently false. Simple fact checking would have made all the difference(assuming this was not a sad attempt at rewriting history). It got a LOT wrong. Well presented, certainly, but deeply and factually flawed.

Additionally, the final conclusions of the narrator are as misinformed as they are misguided. CISC/X86/X64 is going nowhere. RISC is a solid platform and gives mobile devices life, but they are no substitution for CISC in general computing. And before anyone touts Apples M-series RISC SOC line, those are very niche, requires buying into the very limiting Apple ecosystem and have ZERO backward compatibility, even with Apples own software. While CISC has some challenges ahead, this is nothing new. There have always been challenges to overcome and there always will. Never slowed things down before and it is doubtful that the mantra of the industry, "Necessity being the mother of all invention." will change anytime soon.

There seems to be a small sub-group of people out there that seem to think CISC has reached an end. This is simply not true and will not be true anytime soon. My supporting evidence? History. It is not only the best teacher but it shows that every-time we hit a road-block in performance or advancement, an innovation is found that propels everything forward. Most of the people frequenting this thread knows that history by having lived it. That experience teaches us that there is always a way forward. RISC is not that way forward for most forms of computing tasks, including mainstream gaming.
I don,t know why you don,t have a youtube channel, as I have said before on here. With your vast knowledge of all this stuff.:)

Last edited:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Just for curiousity, I tried the A7N8X-X* and holy crap, it booted! Now I'll install it to a HP case and I'm going to have a nice evening/night.

*the donor said that it's dead and as I read that those are known for crappy caps, I was sure that I need to recap it. POSTed fine though.

edit: a pic as well