• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club

System Name Vengeance-C
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4 mATX
Cooling BeQuiet Shadow Rock TF2
Memory 48GB (2x16GB / 2x8GB) DDR4-3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6600 (Swift 210)
Storage Samsun 970 Evo Plus 1TB Nvme / Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK 34" 1500R Curved WQHD (3440 x 1440)
Case Fractal Design Define Mini-C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-5 Plus PCIe
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550w
Mouse steelseries Rival 100
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse III
Software Windows 11 Pro & Fedora via Hyper-V
This thread has caused me to spend my commission check to rebuild a system from my past. I got my hands on an Asus P5A ATX board. Question for y'all is, do I have to have the -5V line? I was shopping for a 80plus or 80 bronze PS, but none have it. The P5A board does have 2 ISA slots, and my understanding was they need the -5V line. The only "new" production PS I found was from StarTech, and its only a 65% efficiency rating :(

This kind of of tech was before I really got into computers, so its sort of new to me on a few things. Got a few items in transit thanks to ebay...

System Name Adison "Open Space" 19
Processor Intel Pentium II, 350MHz
Motherboard Chaintech 6BTM, Slot 1
Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Video Card(s) ATI Rage IIc AGP, Diamond Monster 3DII 12MB
Storage BTC BCD-40XH, Quantum Fireball 3.5 Series, EX6.4 GB
Display(s) LG StudioWorks 57M
Case Adison Midi Tower, ATX
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster 128
Power Supply Codegen 300W
Mouse Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Keyboard Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Software Microsoft Windows 98
AFAIK, no - you do not require -5V to power up most systems. I've noticed this some time ago, when I 1st got my hands on a PSU tester & pretty much none of my supplies (cheap or branded ones) had -5V line available.

TomsHardware.co.uk said:
January, 2002 is when the -5V specification was removed from the ATX12V Power Supply Design Guide.

The -5V rail was used for old-school floppy disk drive controllers and some ISA bus cards.

LINK to the original source

Last edited:
System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
This thread has caused me to spend my commission check to rebuild a system from my past. I got my hands on an Asus P5A ATX board. Question for y'all is, do I have to have the -5V line? I was shopping for a 80plus or 80 bronze PS, but none have it. The P5A board does have 2 ISA slots, and my understanding was they need the -5V line. The only "new" production PS I found was from StarTech, and its only a 65% efficiency rating :(

This kind of of tech was before I really got into computers, so its sort of new to me on a few things. Got a few items in transit thanks to ebay...

The -5v is one thing, the other is that those power supplies come with a direct switch to turn it on (No 5v standby). Maybe your system will be around the 60 watts, the power supplies for desktops on those days come around 150 to 250w. Why no to modify a new power supply? Like this days that we draw almost all the power from the 12v line, in the old ones we draw it from the 5v.

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750

No, you do not need a -5v line for that board. ;)

System Name Vengeance-C
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4 mATX
Cooling BeQuiet Shadow Rock TF2
Memory 48GB (2x16GB / 2x8GB) DDR4-3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6600 (Swift 210)
Storage Samsun 970 Evo Plus 1TB Nvme / Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK 34" 1500R Curved WQHD (3440 x 1440)
Case Fractal Design Define Mini-C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-5 Plus PCIe
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550w
Mouse steelseries Rival 100
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse III
Software Windows 11 Pro & Fedora via Hyper-V
Scotty was never wrong, so I hope neither are you sir. and a thank you to Trekkie4 as well. I will try to power it up first with a 380 Earthwatts I got laying around. If it works I found a seasonic that delivers 120 watts on the 3.3 & 5 volts rails, should be plenty for what I have in mind.

Btw, not sure if it was posted somewhere in the previous 150+ pages (I read the first 15, and then started stalking again about page 160) but I found some useful info here

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Scotty was never wrong, so I hope neither are you sir. and a thank you to Trekkie4 as well. I will try to power it up first with a 380 Earthwatts I got laying around. If it works I found a seasonic that delivers 120 watts on the 3.3 & 5 volts rails, should be plenty for what I have in mind.

Btw, not sure if it was posted somewhere in the previous 150+ pages (I read the first 15, and then started stalking again about page 160) but I found some useful info here
You're welcome! With two Trekkies working on a case, you can't go wrong! :D @Mr.Scott

Funny to remember when one fought for 1 extra frame, I fired up a 486 system i post earlier just to see again my X-wing and X-com, maybe I push myself to bring 2 systems up to challenge an old friend to one last battle of Red Alert.

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Finally got around to finish Pentium Pro - what a PITA that was! And like I said in one of my previous posts, it's all for nothing really, because this is not a gaming system. On top of that, both SCSI HDDs are completely shot, bearings are crunching & squealing, and bad sectors are showing everywhere! At least 10MB on the 1st drive & couple of more on the other one... Again, not worth the repairs IMHO, especially since I can't do anything with this system. Which is why I settled for installing Windows 95 in the end, and all the Software Mode games I could find! :p Not bad I guess, some of them are quite beautiful, such as The Curse of Monkey Island for example, or even Need for Speed 2 SE, which runs pretty decent in software mode.

I do have a stand-alone PCI Matrox Millennium card in one of the boxes, which is exactly what I have inside this GL6200 (except this one is on-board), so I was seriously tempted to swap it for the real thing but seriously guys - what would that do? Sure, I would probably get extra "kick" because of those 4 extra MB of video memory, but otherwise it would be the same story all over again. AFAIK, Matrox Millennium didn't have Direct3D support on their cards, instead they've used some special algorithm for improving the picture quality in Software mode... Hopefully someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have much experience with early Mystique & Millennium models.

Also had to remove additional CD drive - for some reason BIOS would sometime ignore it, or simply freeze during POST, trying to get a feedback from it. Don't really know whenever this is due to mobo, IDE cable or Toshiba drive, but at this point I didn't want to waste any more time on this issue. The onboard sound system & network were also acting up for a while & didn't want to work, but then suddenly everything just "clicked in" & hasn't been giving me any problems since. What i really love about this machine is that it uses internal PC speaker as part of the Sound Blaster system, meaning you can play any sound and/or app through the internal speaker... Sounds terrible, especially with all the plastic around the front mask, but it's kinda cool! :)

Oh well, this system will make a nice addition to my retro collection, but that's about it really. I seriously don't think I'll ever bother using it again, for the sake of playing games or messing with Windows 95

Last edited:
Finally got around to finish Pentium Pro - what a PITA that was! And like I said in one of my previous posts, it's all for nothing really, because this is not a gaming system. On top of that, both SCSI HDDs are completely shot, bearings are crunching & squealing, and bad sectors are showing everywhere! At least 10MB on the 1st drive & couple of more on the other one... Again, not worth the repairs IMHO, especially since I can't do anything with this system. Which is why I settled for installing Windows 95 in the end, and all the Software Mode games I could find! :p Not bad I guess, some of them are quite beautiful, such as The Curse of Monkey Island for example, or even Need for Speed 2 SE, which runs pretty decent in software mode.

I do have a stand-alone PCI Matrox Millennium card in one of the boxes, which is exactly what I have inside this GL6200 (except this one is on-board), so I was seriously tempted to swap it for the real thing but seriously guys - what would that do? Sure, I would probably get extra "kick" because of those 4 extra MB of video memory, but otherwise it would be the same story all over again. AFAIK, Matrox Millennium didn't have Direct3D support on their cards, instead they've used some special algorithm for improving the picture quality in Software mode... Hopefully someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have much experience with early Mystique & Millennium models.

Also had to remove additional CD drive - for some reason BIOS would sometime ignore it, or simply freeze during POST, trying to get a feedback from it. Don't really know whenever this is due to mobo, IDE cable or Toshiba drive, but at this point I didn't want to waste any more time on this issue. The onboard sound system & network were also acting up for a while & didn't want to work, but then suddenly everything just "clicked in" & hasn't been giving me any problems since. What i really love about this machine is that it uses internal PC speaker as part of the Sound Blaster system, meaning you can play any sound and/or app through the internal speaker... Sounds terrible, especially with all the plastic around the front mask, but it's kinda cool! :)

Oh well, this system will make a nice addition to my retro collection, but that's about it really. I seriously don't think I'll ever bother using it again, for the sake of playing games or messing with Windows 95

Thats cool, the system come with a soundcard? Without one the games used the internal speaker. For the video check this http://vintage3d.org

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Trekkie4
have some low capacity scsi hard drives from a apple ( about 250 mb ) that would fit ?
pics somewhere earlier in thread

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
About a decade ago I had a Gigabyte HD 3870 with the odd GDDR4, haven't seen much GDDR4 on graphics cards, as far as I know Nvidia never used it?

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Thats cool, the system come with a soundcard? Without one the games used the internal speaker. For the video check this http://vintage3d.org

Yes, since this is a branded machine it has pretty much everything on-board, which I personally find fascinating for something THAT old. On-board graphics (Matrox MGA), ESS 1888 sound chip (with SB16 support) and DCI 21142 ethernet. This is all wired in criss-cross formation across the entire case, because each & every one of these has some kind of extension or adapter. SCSI is stand-alone PCI controller that's been plugged into one of 2 available PCI slots, it doesn't have AGP. So therefrore previously mentioned PC speaker can play any sound that's coming from a system, because it's all part of one circuitry, single component ;) Like I said - pretty cool stuff, I will post additional pics if you're interested!

Trekkie4
have some low capacity scsi hard drives from a apple ( about 250 mb ) that would fit ?

Thanks for the offer @dorsetknob , I really appreciate it but nah, it wouldn't be worth the postage or fiddling with the transport. These ones inside the system are both 2GB each, which I didn't think it would be enough (usually most of my systems are running approx. 20-30GB at least) but they turned out to be more than enough. Probably due to the fact I didn't have to install much software to begin with, like I said this system is pretty limited when it comes to gaming capabilities.

As for the SCSI itself, I'm tempted to say "never again", because it brought me nothing but problems so far. Just a reminder that I also have yet another SCSI system that's running WD Enterprise HDD, which is working perfectly fine, but from what I got to see & experience so far, these things are loud, painfully slow & take a VERY long time to spin down. This Celebris 6200GL has a standard ATA controller inside on the mobo, so if I ever do decide to upgrade or replace HDDs, I'll probably replace them for single 20GB ATA unit :)

Yes, since this is a branded machine it has pretty much everything on-board, which I personally find fascinating for something THAT old. On-board graphics (Matrox MGA), ESS 1888 sound chip (with SB16 support) and DCI 21142 ethernet. This is all wired in criss-cross formation across the entire case, because each & every one of these has some kind of extension or adapter. SCSI is stand-alone PCI controller that's been plugged into one of 2 available PCI slots, it doesn't have AGP. So therefrore previously mentioned PC speaker can play any sound that's coming from a system, because it's all part of one circuitry, single component ;) Like I said - pretty cool stuff, I will post additional pics if you're interested!

Thanks for the offer @dorsetknob , I really appreciate it but nah, it wouldn't be worth the postage or fiddling with the transport. These ones inside the system are both 2GB each, which I didn't think it would be enough (usually most of my systems are running approx. 20-30GB at least) but they turned out to be more than enough. Probably due to the fact I didn't have to install much software to begin with, like I said this system is pretty limited when it comes to gaming capabilities.

As for the SCSI itself, I'm tempted to say "never again", because it brought me nothing but problems so far. Just a reminder that I also have yet another SCSI system that's running WD Enterprise HDD, which is working perfectly fine, but from what I got to see & experience so far, these things are loud, painfully slow & take a VERY long time to spin down. This Celebris 6200GL has a standard ATA controller inside on the mobo, so if I ever do decide to upgrade or replace HDDs, I'll probably replace them for single 20GB ATA unit :)

Try to run and old Linux kernel (you can use a newer one, but what the fun in that), and last, could you be one of the luckiest to have one of those Pentium Pro with the FPU bug?

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Try to run and old Linux kernel (you can use a newer one, but what the fun in that), and last, could you be one of the luckiest to have one of those Pentium Pro with the FPU bug?
Are you referring to Linux Parted Magic, for working on the HDDs? As for the FPU bug on a Pentium Pro, can't say I've heard about this one before. But according to Wikipedia, this would only affect older models (100MHz and less), so I don't think mine is one of them. Then again, who knows? *shrug*

Are you referring to Linux Parted Magic, for working on the HDDs? As for the FPU bug on a Pentium Pro, can't say I've heard about this one before. But according to Wikipedia, this would only affect older models (100MHz and less), so I don't think mine is one of them. Then again, who knows? *shrug*

I mean a Linux distro, with an old kernel, just to see how it Works. Could it run haiku OS? You can play a little more with the system before shutting down for good. You are right about the SCSI drives, even if they were in good condition the noise will drive you mad.

Trekkie4

A few dozens like this ones
Floppy.jpg

About a decade ago I had a Gigabyte HD 3870 with the odd GDDR4, haven't seen much GDDR4 on graphics cards, as far as I know Nvidia never used it?

Not quite a decade, don't go thinking you've aged THAT much. That's a 2008 card there my friend. You're correct that nVidia never used GDDR4, it was developed by ATi and used by them and AMD until essentially ceasing to be after the 3870 due to GDDR5 taking its place.

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
I mean a Linux distro, with an old kernel, just to see how it Works. Could it run haiku OS? You can play a little more with the system before shutting down for good. You are right about the SCSI drives, even if they were in good condition the noise will drive you mad.

A few dozens like this onesView attachment 74203
Maybe I'll give it a try later on, down the road. In other words, once I'm finished with 3 other systems that have been giving me problems one way or another & need to be finished ;) There's no "shutting down for good" in my dictionary, it's not like I'm going to part it out, or rip out the PSU lol. All of the systems in my collection have one thing in common and that is a certain condition - they all HAVE to be completely operational. Because if they're not, they're just wasting my precious space & so I would have to part them out or give them away. Fortunately I didn't have a case like that yet, at least none of them have been offline longer than couple of weeks or a month at most. Which is exactly why I have to address these other 3 systems:

Celeron Machine, 466MHz that's been giving me problems since the 1st day and it proving to be a real PITA. Frankly speaking, I was just about ready to part it out when I realized that it was a dead sound card behind (most) of my problems, so now it's working within acceptable parameters. Far from perfect but it boots up, has sound even Glide support!

Athlon 1000, it's the machine from couple of pages ago. Already booted it up months ago & worked out the hardware issues, however I had to upgrade the HDD. Which means it's now completely blank & needs to be booted up again :p

And last but not least, I have a Duron 750 that's hopefully about to become Duron 1100 thanks to @Mr.Scott once I receive his package :) It is also missing a floppy disk drive, so I'll need to find the alternative somewhere, because the original one turned out to have damaged heads. Talk about bad luck, huh?

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.00/6M/1333
Motherboard AsRock G31M-GS R2.0
Cooling CoolerMaster Vortex 752 - Black
Memory 4 Go (2x2) Kingston ValueRam DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Asus EN8600GT/HTDP/512M
Storage WD 3200AAKS
Display(s) 32" Irico E320GV-FHD
Case Aerocool Qx-2000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker 2 - 465w
Mouse Logitech Wave MK550 combo (M510)
Keyboard Logitech Wave MK550 combo (K350)
Software Win_7_Pro-French
Benchmark Scores Windows index : 6.5 / 6.5 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 5.9
Floppy drive in Quebec are 5$ everywhere even when new. People try get rid of it.

Maybe I'll give it a try later on, down the road. In other words, once I'm finished with 3 other systems that have been giving me problems one way or another & need to be finished ;) There's no "shutting down for good" in my dictionary, it's not like I'm going to part it out, or rip out the PSU lol. All of the systems in my collection have one thing in common and that is a certain condition - they all HAVE to be completely operational. Because if they're not, they're just wasting my precious space & so I would have to part them out or give them away. Fortunately I didn't have a case like that yet, at least none of them have been offline longer than couple of weeks or a month at most. Which is exactly why I have to address these other 3 systems:

Celeron Machine, 466MHz that's been giving me problems since the 1st day and it proving to be a real PITA. Frankly speaking, I was just about ready to part it out when I realized that it was a dead sound card behind (most) of my problems, so now it's working within acceptable parameters. Far from perfect but it boots up, has sound even Glide support!

Athlon 1000, it's the machine from couple of pages ago. Already booted it up months ago & worked out the hardware issues, however I had to upgrade the HDD. Which means it's now completely blank & needs to be booted up again :p

And last but not least, I have a Duron 750 that's hopefully about to become Duron 1100 thanks to @Mr.Scott once I receive his package :) It is also missing a floppy disk drive, so I'll need to find the alternative somewhere, because the original one turned out to have damaged heads. Talk about bad luck, huh?

But if you dont rip it apart, put it in a box, shake it, assemble it again in random order, you will never get a Frankenstein

Right CPU AMD DX5

DSC01378_crop.JPG

VIDISA_2.jpg

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.00/6M/1333
Motherboard AsRock G31M-GS R2.0
Cooling CoolerMaster Vortex 752 - Black
Memory 4 Go (2x2) Kingston ValueRam DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Asus EN8600GT/HTDP/512M
Storage WD 3200AAKS
Display(s) 32" Irico E320GV-FHD
Case Aerocool Qx-2000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker 2 - 465w
Mouse Logitech Wave MK550 combo (M510)
Keyboard Logitech Wave MK550 combo (K350)
Software Win_7_Pro-French
Benchmark Scores Windows index : 6.5 / 6.5 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 5.9
You receive the package of MrScott..... sounds really gay to me. :p

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
Here are a couple of my old favorites... With an old Phenom chip for comparisons....

No, that's not the die on the PPro, young ones.... that's just a cover, there is a CPU die and a cache die under there!

Maybe one day I'll upload my whole collection! Hehe.... I'm a sucker for CPUS, I must have about 20 or more scattered through every drawer of the house. I've gotta couple old Slot 1 Xeons somewhere, them things are BEAST...

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest

HEY!!
We have the Same slipper O_O small world ;)
But srsly, that is a beautiful pic there.....SO much cores

*feet not for sale*

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
That is PART of my socket 775 collection
then there is the mobile intel collection
the AMD desktop collection
The AMD Mobile collection
The miscellaneous collection (Slot1 P2 socket 370 386/7 486 P4 socket 478 )