• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Two more questions about case fans and temps.

Processor Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard ASUS Tuf Gaming X570 Plus Wi-Fi
Cooling Stock Wraith Spire Cooler without Mount using a 40x40mm Innovation Cooling Graphite Pad
Memory 2x16gb T-force Vulcan DDR4 3200 (32GB)
Video Card(s) Stock/Founder Edition's RTX 2070 Super
Storage 256GB NvMe ADATA Xgroup M.2 SSD, External 4tb usb 3.0 Western Digital HD
Display(s) Acer 22" IPS 4ms 1080p75hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 50
Audio Device(s) Built-in Motherboard sound out to a Tribit MaxSound Plus Bluetooth Speaker through 3.5mm connect
Power Supply 650W 80+Gold EVGA GQ2
Mouse Cheap Logitech wired mouse
Keyboard Cheap Logitech Wired keyboard
Software Win 10 1903 "Education"
Haven't gotten my new cpu cooler yet but I got the fans. I installed two 140mm fans as exhaust on the top of the case but it didn't make a difference! In fact my cpu is acting just like it did and my gpu is actually idling at 31 to 33 now when it used to idle at 27 to 29.

Also I couldn't install my front case fans because I just cannot remove the front case. I looked up two videos and seen that they put the glass part back on after installing the fans. Is there a way I can get longer screws or something and mount them from the reverse side? Or if I can't should I send back the fans and just get two higher quality 140mm case fans with more airflow, static pressure, etc. And just make the fan closer to the front an intake and leave the one closer to the rear as an exhaust fan?

Thank you very much. I should probably look up how to undervolt my cpu because just running steam and chrome goes up to the low 80s temp wise.

D

Deleted member 185158

According to your specs you are using the stock cooler without the mount?
I think thats your main issue with cpu temps right there.
Hopefully the new cooler, you use the mount or perhaps use the mount with the stock heat sink probably would help a great deal.

Case fans are way behind the importance of a nice tight cooler mounting.....

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
With a case like that the best thing to do for your CPU is get a AIO. With the front being totally cut off and the bottom having a PSU shroud it would be difficult for any fan (regardless of specs) to give you a better experience in terms of air flow. With an AIO (max I would get is 240) you could install it at the front and use the fans that come with it for push/pull. The other fan on the bottom at the front could be used to provide airflow to the GPU. In terms of exhaust I would put one in the middle of the top and let that and the rear exhaust fan handle pulling hot air out.

D

Deleted member 185158

An AIO is no good if he doesnt use the mount.....lol

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
An AIO is no good if he doesnt use the mount.....lol

I agree he would have to remove that graphite pad ( which I hear are not that good) but I was quoting an AIO more for the design of the case.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Haven't gotten my new cpu cooler yet but I got the fans. I installed two 140mm fans as exhaust on the top of the case but it didn't make a difference! In fact my cpu is acting just like it did and my gpu is actually idling at 31 to 33 now when it used to idle at 27 to 29.

Also I couldn't install my front case fans because I just cannot remove the front case. I looked up two videos and seen that they put the glass part back on after installing the fans. Is there a way I can get longer screws or something and mount them from the reverse side? Or if I can't should I send back the fans and just get two higher quality 140mm case fans with more airflow, static pressure, etc. And just make the fan closer to the front an intake and leave the one closer to the rear as an exhaust fan?

Thank you very much. I should probably look up how to undervolt my cpu because just running steam and chrome goes up to the low 80s temp wise.

You don't put a fan on the top front fan mount as you will choke your CPU cooler. That mount needs to be open to allow the CPU fan access to outside air for it to pull in. You stick an outake fan there and your CPU fan is playing a tug of war game with it and forcing the CPU fan to use air inside the case.

Your best bet would be to use the 120mm fan that came with the case in the rear exhaust. Use your two new 140mm in the front as intake and that will help lower your GPU temps (see below). Down the road you purchase another 140mm for a top rear exhaust (leave the top front open). According to Deepcool you can even add a third 140mm up front for intake.

Cooling Fans Support Optional: Front:140mm×3/120mm×3; Top:140mm×2/120mm×2 Pre-installed: Rear:120mm×1

Also that stock cooler is ok but even a $20 cooler will help lower temps

In fact my cpu is acting just like it did and my gpu is actually idling at 31 to 33 now when it used to idle at 27 to 29.

Most likely because the top front exhaust fan is pulling out the cooler outside air from your front air slits before the back GPU fan can use it forcing it to use air within the case.

Last edited:
ideally you would want a positive air pressure configuration which mean having more intake fans than exhaust. ex: two front intake fans, and one exhaust fan on the back, or 3 front intake fans and one exhaust fan on the back and one exhaust on the back top ( optional ) of the case

Postie air pressure means means lower temperature and low dust build up inside the case