• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Two teenagers assault 60-year-old teacher who confiscated one of their iPod's

G-town Teacher

I was just browsing the web when I came across this site - I am a co-worker of Frank Burd - the teacher assaulted over an Ipod. It just amazes me to read some of the comments made by people who really do not have a clue about what happened and why. If you would have taken the time to read an actual news atricle you wouldn't look so stupid when you post.

Yes, it is a school district wide policy that states that electronic devices are not permitted in Phila public schools - however, most of us who work in this urban area know that kids are going to be kids and will bring these things to school -it's what they decide to do with them when they get to school that makes the difference.

This particular student decided to sit in Franks math class with the music turned up to maxium volume - not in his pocket or bag as some of you have suggested - The student was disruping the class -- Frank asked the student several times to turn the music off. The student refused. Frank asked the student for the Ipod and told the student he could have it back at the end of class. The student left the class. At the end of the period Frank entered the hall where he was blind sided by his student and his 9th grade friend - They knocked Frank down and, as he fell, his head hit the side of the lockers. Frank never had the chance to return the Ipod.

Franks neck was broken in two places and still remains in the hospital. Believe it or not his biggest concern was over who was going to teach his kids while he was recovering . . . and that he wasn't going to have ANOTHER YEAR of PERFECT ATTENDANCE!!!

We should all be supporting Frank and not the out of control behavior of some students.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I was just browsing the web when I came across this site - I am a co-worker of Frank Burd - the teacher assaulted over an Ipod. It just amazes me to read some of the comments made by people who really do not have a clue about what happened and why. If you would have taken the time to read an actual news atricle you wouldn't look so stupid when you post.

Yes, it is a school district wide policy that states that electronic devices are not permitted in Phila public schools - however, most of us who work in this urban area know that kids are going to be kids and will bring these things to school -it's what they decide to do with them when they get to school that makes the difference.

This particular student decided to sit in Franks math class with the music turned up to maxium volume - not in his pocket or bag as some of you have suggested - The student was disruping the class -- Frank asked the student several times to turn the music off. The student refused. Frank asked the student for the Ipod and told the student he could have it back at the end of class. The student left the class. At the end of the period Frank entered the hall where he was blind sided by his student and his 9th grade friend - They knocked Frank down and, as he fell, his head hit the side of the lockers. Frank never had the chance to return the Ipod.

Franks neck was broken in two places and still remains in the hospital. Believe it or not his biggest concern was over who was going to teach his kids while he was recovering . . . and that he wasn't going to have ANOTHER YEAR of PERFECT ATTENDANCE!!!

We should all be supporting Frank and not the out of control behavior of some students.
I'm glad to see someone "in the know" come here and post. We wish the best for Frank, and hope he makes an expedient and full recovery. Please come back and post updates on his health.

Casheti

It seems like sometimes you simply cannot get between a teenager and their iPod. Frank Burd, A 60 year old teacher in Germantown, Pennsylvania, confiscated one of his 14-year-old student's iPod's. The student, infuriated, came back with one of his 11th-grade friends, and proceeded to break Mr.Burd's neck in two places. Fortunately, Mr.Burd's condition is stable and improving. The two delinquents will be charged as adults in court.

Source: EnGadget

I'm IN THE NEWS!!

Namslas90

I'm glad to see someone "in the know" come here and post. We wish the best for Frank, and hope he makes an expedient and full recovery. Please come back and post updates on his health.

Likewise, and may I add a "Get well soon Frank", and I'm sure your 'students' miss you!

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.

Ah, I didn't know that part of the story...I'll go add those details to the original post right now :). My news sources have been rather lacking in details lately....but oh well. They still get the point across.