• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubisoft to Release 5 AAA Game Experiences from October 2020 Through March 2021

D

Deleted member 177333

Ya Ubisoft has really lost their way. The last couple AC games were not all that great - essentially poor man versions of Witcher 3 which AC Origins tried to copy and then Odyssey just copied Origins.

Far Cry 5 was the worst in the series, IMO - New Dawn wasn't bad though it tried to fix what FC5 did wrong.

I was a pretty big fan of Ubi's work up until 3-5 years back and since then I've really come to dislike them - they're up there with EA & Activision for me with the microtransactions and the draconian DRM - cracking teams actually removed VMProtect & Denuvo from AC Origins and the vids posted show the game running SO MUCH BETTER. Definitely won't be purchasing any Ubi games anytime soon, they've burnt up their good will with me.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
The last couple AC games were not all that great - essentially poor man versions of Witcher 3 which AC Origins tried to copy and then Odyssey just copied Origins.
Aaaaand another one talking about what he hasn’t played, based on further comments made. The huge number of consumers that increased sales and the legions of critics would disagree with you. The last two saved the series from being scrapped by completely reinventing it. And being very successful.

If you have to draw any comparison, it would have to be Black Flag, as the same team that made IV also was brought in to do Origins. Essentially, they made a sea and their system they used for Black Flag, except on land. Odyssey didn’t lamely copy Origins. It improved on Origins in nearly every way, because they learned from it.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W
Ubi has to be the "whipping boy" of the gaming industry for some reason. I guess it's because of the enjoyable bug free games that they have improved upon over the years. Although Far Cry does need an overhaul but does warrant that much condemnation...jeez.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Aaaaand another one talking about what he hasn’t played, based on further comments made. The huge number of consumers that increased sales and the legions of critics would disagree with you. The last two saved the series from being scrapped by completely reinventing it. And being very successful.

If you have to draw any comparison, it would have to be Black Flag, as the same team that made IV also was brought in to do Origins. Essentially, they made a sea and their system they used for Black Flag, except on land. Odyssey didn’t lamely copy Origins. It improved on Origins in nearly every way, because they learned from it.

Well its undeniable the AC formula changed and it changed into theme park MMO level based progression. Let's not make things overly complicated here. You either like that or you do not, but that is not what AC was or represented at all, and I do know its not for me either. I've been there, done that, and a nice bit of scenery won't make me ignore the characteristics of this sort of game(play). Its just not the action game it was. Its a numbers game, RPG lite, with questionable depth and emphasis on action. Which is fine if that is what you're looking for, or have come to like.

You aren't immune to tinted glasses either... be careful ;)

I remember my first AC experience. It was highly immersive, a very slow paced game. It had no numbers, barely any HUD. It was focused on scenery; exploration of it, enjoying the excellent mechanics and animations, and planning your missions ahead of time a little bit only to have the plan fail and great gameplay emerge. There was no meaningful progression, just some unlocks. High degree of linearity, too. World of difference.

You know what's funny? They kinda had Ghost Recon take AC's place, it has most of the above but no numbers.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Well its undeniable the AC formula changed and it changed into theme park MMO level based progression. Let's not make things overly complicated here. You either like that or you do not, but that is not what AC was or represented at all, and I do know its not for me either. I've been there, done that, and a nice bit of scenery won't make me ignore the characteristics of this sort of game(play). Its just not the action game it was. Its a numbers game, RPG lite, with questionable depth and emphasis on action. Which is fine if that is what you're looking for, or have come to like.

You aren't immune to tinted glasses either... be careful ;)

I remember my first AC experience. It was highly immersive, a very slow paced game. It had no numbers, barely any HUD. It was focused on scenery; exploration of it, enjoying the excellent mechanics and animations, and planning your missions ahead of time a little bit only to have the plan fail and great gameplay emerge. There was no meaningful progression, just some unlocks. High degree of linearity, too. World of difference.

You know what's funny? They kinda had Ghost Recon take AC's place, it has most of the above but no numbers.
Well I HATE MMO style games, so it’s not that. If you want a perfect example of MMO done single-player style, look no further than DA: I. It’s why I loathe that game.

You sound like you played Odyssey or Origins. If so, I have no problem with tour comments. What irks me beyond belief are those who do the fashionable thing and bust on games they haven’t tried by repeating things their favorite haters have written online. That is disingenuous and cheap, and shows a lack of capacity for critical thinking.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Well I HATE MMO style games, so it’s not that. If you want a perfect example of MMO done single-player style, look no further than DA: I. It’s why I loathe that game.

You sound like you played Odyssey or Origins. If so, I have no problem with tour comments. What irks me beyond belief are those who do the fashionable thing and bust on games they haven’t tried by repeating things their favorite haters have written online. That is disingenuous and cheap, and shows a lack of capacity for critical thinking.

Yeah DA:I really takes the cake that way. Its just that AC incorporates a lot of elements of it too, but the flow of gameplay is probably better than DA:I and the execution too. The latter really had no flow whatsoever because it was completely illogical in how content was presented. Constant backtracking, fake open worlds (a bit like Outer Worlds and ME: Andromeda did it too... man if you can't do it, just damn well make a linear game instead...) and one quest competed with another for being the most repetitive annoying POS you could think up. Fetch quests? Here, take a dozen for EACH GOD DAMN AREA. You can easily spend 80% of you game time collecting plants and rocks and still have nothing to show for it.

AC at least has the 'action' part of the game nailed, even while doing the numbers, and has quests that do motivate you to actually keep doing them.

Whenever I see a Farcry title I remember Failcry2, which I rated 4/10, bonuses included.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Yeah DA:I really takes the cake that way. Its just that AC incorporates a lot of elements of it too, but the flow of gameplay is probably better than DA:I and the execution too. The latter really had no flow whatsoever because it was completely illogical in how content was presented. Constant backtracking, fake open worlds (a bit like Outer Worlds and ME: Andromeda did it too... man if you can't do it, just damn well make a linear game instead...) and one quest competed with another for being the most repetitive annoying POS you could think up. Fetch quests? Here, take a dozen for EACH GOD DAMN AREA. You can easily spend 80% of you game time collecting plants and rocks and still have nothing to show for it.

AC at least has the 'action' part of the game nailed, even while doing the numbers, and has quests that do motivate you to actually keep doing them.
I can nail down for you the exact reason that for me, AC games before IV were not as good. They had great settings, nailed a formula, immersion, all that. Problem for me is I play everything KB/M. No matter how hard some shortsighted devs will make it for KB/M, I’m the guy doing that.

AC games prior to IV were a chore to play. They were the most unintuitive games ever for KB/M. Black Flag came along and suddenly movement and combat were more intuitive and the controls have improved ever since. That goes a long way to a more enjoyable experience for me. I play to enjoy, to relax, and immerse myself in a fantasy world, not have to work. I spend 10 hours a day doing that already! :laugh:

Whenever I see a Farcry title I remember Failcry2, which I rated 4/10, bonuses included.
Yeah, I never understood why they took what should have been a fantastic game based on setting, fire mechanics, weapon combat, and decent driving, and ruined it by respawn of enemy soldiers almost as soon as you went around the next curve in the road. Add to that the malaria, and you have two huge mistakes.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I can nail down for you the exact reason that for me, AC games before IV were not as good. They had great settings, nailed a formula, immersion, all that. Problem for me is I play everything KB/M. No matter how hard some shortsighted devs will make it for KB/M, I’m the guy doing that.

AC games prior to IV were a chore to play. They were the most unintuitive games ever for KB/M. Black Flag came along and suddenly movement and combat were more intuitive and the controls have improved ever since. That goes a long way to a more enjoyable experience for me. I play to enjoy, to relax, and immerse myself in a fantasy world, not have to work. I spend 10 hours a day doing that already! :laugh:

Yeah, I never understood why they took what should have been a fantastic game based on setting, fire mechanics, weapon combat, and decent driving, and ruined it by respawn of enemy soldiers almost as soon as you went around the next curve in the road. Add to that the malaria, and you have two huge mistakes.

Oh yeah that is one big thing with the former AC's. The whole idea is based on a controller scheme, absolutely. Arms, legs and head were the actual buttons, located in logical positions. I did play the first one on PS3. Later ones on KB/M and it does work but is certainly less immersive that way.

Last edited:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
They're really cranking out those Assassin's Creeds aren't they. Crankity Crank Crank Crank.

Well the new ones are pretty good actually. Especially Odyssey

D

Deleted member 177333

I've played them both, so incorrect assumption on your part. I'm quite comfortable with being disagreed with, doesn't bother me a bit, as you are welcome to your opinion just as I'm welcome to mine but don't sit here and try to tell people they haven't played a game just because they don't agree with you on something. Having played the Witcher games many times already, that's probably why Origins & Odyssey stuck out to me as just weak copies of Witcher 3. Prior to Origins' release, Ubisoft did say they were making it "Witcher 3 style" and that was pretty accurate. Ubisoft has had a lack of creativity for a while, mostly just re-skinning games with minor tweaks to mechanics - not saying this is always bad, but they've overdone it a bit. It'll be good for them to go back to the drawing board and change some things.

This is something we can agree on. I've played all the Far Cry games, and FC2 is literally the only one I uninstalled and got rid of. Just some really awful mechanics in that game. It felt like a chore to play.

System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
Strange; that's the one I've replayed the most.

I'm waiting for FC5 to hit the bargain bin; I hear the gameplay is frustrating.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
but don't sit here and try to tell people they haven't played a game just because they don't agree with you on something.
Sorry, that’s not what happened. Your post in no way mentioned any first hand experience, and completely talked about reports and second hand accounts, closing out with you saying you wont be purchasing any Ubi games soon.

If you read further in my discourse with Vayra, I have no problem with an opinion being opposite mine if it is based on real first hand experience. I like people to form their own opinions. Had you made it clear, my post would have been much shorter.

In point of fact though, Ubi made it very clear why they assigned the Black Flag team to Origins. That’s how we got the big world on land that plays like IV, not copying The Witcher 3. work on Origins had already started. did they learn some good things to improve their world and gameplay from TW3? It’s pretty obvious they did.

D

Deleted member 177333

Strange; that's the one I've replayed the most.

I'm waiting for FC5 to hit the bargain bin; I hear the gameplay is frustrating.

Honestly FC5's gameplay isn't bad far as the combat - it's pretty refined and ran well for me. I think the most irritating parts of FC5 are the forced story progression, particularly the way it's done (I don't want to spoil anything for you so I won't go into detail here), and the ending is pretty bad as well, IMO. I even played it a 2nd time just to make sure I didn't judge it too hastily, but no, definitely one of my least favorites. FC3 & 4 are my favorites in the series. New Dawn isn't bad - it tries to fix a lot of the things FC5 did wrong.

Sorry, that’s not what happened. Your post in no way mentioned any first hand experience, and completely talked about reports and second hand accounts, closing out with you saying you wont be purchasing any Ubi games soon.

If you read further in my discourse with Vayra, I have no problem with an opinion being opposite mine if it is based on real first hand experience. I like people to form their own opinions. Had you made it clear, my post would have been much shorter.

In point of fact though, Ubi made it very clear why they assigned the Black Flag team to Origins. That’s how we got the big world on land that plays like IV, not copying The Witcher 3. work on Origins had already started. did they learn some good things to improve their world and gameplay from TW3? It’s pretty obvious they did.

No - here's my opening line of my post at the top of the page which is the main part regarding AC: "Ya Ubisoft has really lost their way. The last couple AC games were not all that great - essentially poor man versions of Witcher 3 which AC Origins tried to copy and then Odyssey just copied Origins. "

There's nothing there that even remotely indicates that I'm basing my opinion off of something other than first-hand experience. Who even does that? Of course I was speaking from experience. And if you weren't sure...ask before assuming something like that if it's going to be something that's going to completely change the tone of your post. I'm a pretty nice guy, and happy to have a chat with people about computer hardware and games, they are my primary hobby. And as far as not purchasing more of their games moving forward, I'm not sure why you thought that meant I hadn't played earlier games they'd released...? It just means that moving forward I'm going to be incredibly skeptical of their games for a variety of reasons and will likely sample them at a friend's house before ever considering a purchase. They've lost a lot of street cred with me based on their last few releases and I used to be the definition of a Ubisoft fanboy a good 8-10 years back.

Ya, I'm very well-aware of Origins' development process. Truth be told I was pretty excited when I heard the AC4 team was doing Origins as I really liked AC4. I wasn't a huge fan of Origins or Odyssey though. Not saying they're terrible or that I outright hated them, they just weren't something that I thought was all that spectacular outside of the visuals (they were indeed, pretty games).

For the record, no hard feelings from my end, my gaming brother.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter