• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unable to adjust cpu voltage after setting bios to default settings.

Cy Lerner

I use a Razer blade 15, which I've had undervolted for a while as it likes to run incredibly hot. Recently I found in its bios I can force it to use its discrete GPU over the integrated one and was testing which one runs cooler. After I was done I decided to use the option to reset my bios to its default options as I've never messed with it before and didn't think anything would really change except for the GPU options I messed with. But after doing so it seems to have messed with something as I am now unable to under volt my pc as the unlock adjustable voltage area and turbo ratio limits are both greyed out now in throttle stop.

Did you update the BIOS at some point? I seem to remember something awhile back, "Plundervolt" I think was the one. If I remember correctly, there was talk of bios updates for this vulnerability locking people out of voltage controls.

Cy Lerner

I haven't touched my bios at all besides now when setting it to defaults. The only updates I've had were synapse and windows updates though I don't think that correlates? Looking around a bit it seems my computer may have turned off overclocking I think, I am not quite sure?

I haven't touched my bios at all besides now when setting it to defaults. The only updates I've had were synapse and windows updates though I don't think that correlates? Looking around a bit it seems my computer may have turned off overclocking I think, I am not quite sure?

Ah, it could be, I'm not at all familiar with the bios of a razer system, but you could have a hunt about and see if you can find the toggle? If so, I expect it would be called something like: tuning, tweaking, or just OC?

Cy Lerner

Ah, I might have to submit a ticket to razer then as looking through and seeing other people's BIOs the option to enable or disable that seems to be missing from mine. I suppose for now until I get more answers/information I will just keep turbo off instead of undervolting so my pc doesn't overheat.

Ah, I might have to submit a ticket to razer then as looking through and seeing other people's BIOs the option to enable or disable that seems to be missing from mine. I suppose for now until I get more answers/information I will just keep turbo off instead of undervolting so my pc doesn't overheat.

Hmm, I had a look and they don't seem to provide a bios manual on their website, but the user guide talks about something called "Synapse" and it seems to allow the selection of different performance modes. Perhaps installing that might help unlock the feature?

Cy Lerner

Just tried reinstalling/repairing it, but that doesn't seem to have done much as no new settings have appeared in my BIOs, nor has the issue with throttle stop been resolved. I am going to go submit a ticket to Razer and see if I can get any input from them as I am not sure there is much that can be done to unlock those settings?

I'm not sure, I find it strange to think that a CMOS reset would remove a feature entirely, because it doesn't usually erase any features in the bios.

In this thread, it appears that Windows updates actually can prevent it working:

Edit: I didn't realise I was posting on the throttlestop forum and it is actually hosted here :roll: My apologies, I'd wait for the author to reply :)

Cy Lerner

I don't think it removed the feature during the reset, in a sketchy video I found it seems the function is normally hidden by Razer. As well from some forums it seems "Overclocking Performance menu" was hidden in new Razer computers?

System Name XMG Neo 15 M21
Processor Intel i7 11800H
Cooling Modded CoolerMaster U2 v2 with 2 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM chromax.black
Memory G.Skill 32gb 3200mhz Cl18 ddr4
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 165w
Storage Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB + Corsair MP400 4TB + OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini (2x2TB + 2x1TB SSDs)
Display(s) 1440p 165hz + 4k 60hz Eizo CG248-4K
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen + Audioengine HD3 + SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Software Windows 11 Pro
Check if any virtualization feature was enabled when the BIOS was reset. If so, disable them.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Post a screenshot of the FIVR window. Resetting the BIOS likely set the lock bit on the CPU voltage control register. This same bit also locks the Turbo Ratio Limit adjusters.

The FIVR screenshot will show if this is a lock problem or a Windows virtualization setting problem.

Cy Lerner

Turbo ratio limits are also locked, so that is probably more likely than a virtualization problem
FIVR.png

Cy Lerner

Well, I've turned those settings back on as they were on by default I think. The only problem now is unlocking the lock as there are no settings to do that as they seem to be hidden? Would updating my BIOs possibly fix this, I've seen that there is an update I could install but at the same time I have heard it's usually not a good idea to update or mess with a computer in that way unless you have to.