• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

I don't know 100% for sure, but yes you might actually have Realtek (almost none of the sites state what yours has specifically except maybe 1), but double check by going to your Playback Devices by right-clicking the speaker symbol on your taskbar. (But NOT the Realtek Audio Manager.)

Anyways, this mod, for those without the Dolby/DTS license, is to get the Realtek audio device to process the surround sound channels from pretty much anything that is set to play surround sound channels and get it through the optical cable (if that's even what you're using. If you aren't using Optical, then I don't think there's even a reason to bother).

The latest instructions on how to do this is in my post on Pg 37 (it might even still work with the current Realtek R2.80 drivers). (I'm also not completely sure if the registry edit is still necessary (it might be) and the registry edit could break the Netflix app.)

However, note that Microsoft keeps breaking Realtek Optical s/pdif on a yearly basis in Windows 10, which they have done again in an Insider preview build, and we don't know if it'll be fixed once their next big update becomes public.

Also, configuring movie players to successfully output s/pdif can be kind of a pain nowadays. Modern surround sound games are generally easier to test in my opinion (if you're aware that your receiver isn't the one doing the surround sound processing when testing for it.)

If you successfully apply the mod, you'll need to go to the properties of your Realtek Optical device and make sure your Default Format in the Advanced tab is set to Dolby or DTS. (Again, not in the Realtek Audio Manager).

But, if you aren't using Optical anyways, then.... there's probably no point.

Last edited:

tabletop

I don't get it I thought this would enable me to get surround sound wether I use optical out or not

If you're using analog or HDMI (HDMI isn't even a part of Realtek) then... there's nothing to be fixed or enabled because you don't need a licensed process to get surround sound, like Dolby or DTS. You configure your setup correctly, you should get surround sound from any surround sound source.

tabletop

I'm using the three 3,5mm Jacks which lead directly to the 5.1 system with one for front, one for rear and one for su/center speakers. I think I get surround sound in some games (like COD4) but not in others.

Then you should be able to configure it in the Realtek Audio Manager and/or right-clicking on your Speakers Playback Device and clicking Configure Speakers.

However, I do seem to be having the issue with the Rear speakers configuring as the Side speakers (from either port) and not being able to set it to Rear, which is an old frequently reported bug. I haven't looked into it that much, since I don't use my analog outputs to remember if anyone has figured out how to fix that.

I mean.... I guess there's a chance that that could be causing you to not get an audio signal to your surrounds where you want it, but... I can't be 100% sure. You might try various things or configuring it to 7.1 rather than 5.1 if you have rear speakers, however, I worry about that because I would lose channels being sent to non-existent side speakers rather than being mixed with the rear speakers.

Are you actually using rear speakers, or are they more like side speakers? An honestly, you should do more testing to confirm what's working or not.

Actually, what I suggest, if this is an issue, is try uninstalling the Realtek drivers and see what you can do when configuring with what Microsoft installs for your audio (no Audio Manager), but Configure Speakers.

There's also this registry fix, which actually doesn't seem too difficult, if you know how to navigate through it.
https://experts.missouristate.edu/display/KB/How+to+Manually+Map+Audio+Jacks
(Though it might be easier to just swap the names rather than trying to edit the values).

Edit: Yeah, I had better luck uninstalling the Realtek driver and Configuring Speakers with what Microsoft gave me. (For those reading, this has nothing to do with Optical Dolby/DTS.)

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10: Pro Insider x64
Processor i5-3570
Motherboard MSI P67s-C43 B3
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB DDR3 1333mHz
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 2x Seagate 1TB 6Gbs 1x SSD 128GB
Display(s) LG 23" FLATRON E2355
Case THERMALTAKE CHASER MK-I
Audio Device(s) Receiver Onkyo Tx-NR 757
Power Supply C3 TECH 750W
Mouse THERMALTAKE PHERON
Keyboard A4TECH LED MULTIMEDIA
Windows 10 build 14986 not support "Realtek Mod" :(:(:(

Build 14393 is the better choice!
(or UP...exccept 14986! but i didn't test yet)

Same problem. :( Any solution?
Use new version of Realtek (2.80)
with dll 2.75 or 2.79 (both work perfectly) with win10 build 14393 or up (except 14986 :()

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying that it actually works on the Fast Ring build? (whatever that is...)

Because if you don't know, then... this statement is kind of pointless.

(Or are both rings actually on 14986 right now?...)

MassRelay

Hi! I'm wondering if someone can help me out with this. I feel like I'm almost there. I'm on Windows 10 64bit and my motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97X UD3H BK with ALC1150.

I've always used USB gaming headsets and really do love the effect that 7.1 virtual surround gives to my games. I want to get the same virtual effect using my onboard Realtek with some nice Sennheiser headphones plugged directly to my PC via 3.5mm jack.

I installed the latest 2.80 drivers with the patch found on PAGE47. I followed instructions to disable driver verification and it all seemed to install nicely. The Dolby tab is now there in the options, so I guess it installed ok.

The only way I can get the 'Dolby headphone symbol' is when I plug the headphones in the front 3.5mm jack and set the speakers to Stereo as seen here:

The problem is, games think there are only two channels. When I play, I can definitely tell Dolby is working, but its only for the front channels.

Am I going about this all the wrong way? Thanks.

If you can tell that it's working then... I think that's how it's supposed to be?

MassRelay

What I meant is, I can tell there is a Dolby effect being added but it is just processing the two stereo channels. I guess the game is seeing that Windows is set to Stereo, so the game is only providing the two channels.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I installed the latest modified 2.80 drivers like the guide on page 47 said and everything worked really find. I can activate now Dolby Digital Live in the Audio-Manager, but then only the 2 front speakers are working or sometimes none is working.
I have truely no idea what I did wrong.

Has someone an idea what I can do to fix it ?

I use the b150 MSI gaming M3 motherboard with the ALC 1150 Realtek onboard chip plugged in to a Teufel Concept 450 e digital via an optical cable. And I use Windows 10.

Thanks a lot anyway!

What I meant is, I can tell there is a Dolby effect being added but it is just processing the two stereo channels. I guess the game is seeing that Windows is set to Stereo, so the game is only providing the two channels.
I'm assuming you tried setting it to surround? (which you might not be able to do unless you've got stuff plugged into the other ports) But then I think it would shut off the virtual/dolby surround since it isn't needed. (and I don't think you'd want to set Realtek to surround anyways: see below.)

I mean, that's pretty much what virtual and dolby virtual surround (for stereo) is. Tweaking it to what they think is more "surround sound...y." Which I don't care for and prefer the actual correct amount of drivers/speakers when doing surround sound, otherwise leaving it untouched in stereo. (I know people are probably gonna disagree though.)

Unless you have the individual option in a game to force it, it'll go by Realtek's set format (pretty sure). But actually, you wouldn't want to set Realtek to surround either, if you even could, because then you'll just be throwing the surround sound channels into nothing.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I installed the latest modified 2.80 drivers like the guide on page 47 said and everything worked really find. I can activate now Dolby Digital Live in the Audio-Manager, but then only the 2 front speakers are working or sometimes none is working.
I have truely no idea what I did wrong.

Has someone an idea what I can do to fix it ?

I use the b150 MSI gaming M3 motherboard with the ALC 1150 Realtek onboard chip plugged in to a Teufel Concept 450 e digital via an optical cable. And I use Windows 10.

Thanks a lot anyway!
First thing's first, the test tone only plays 2 channels, so test it on something else, preferably a surround sound game, unless you know how to set up a movie player correctly with s/pdif.

Are you on the public release version of Windows 10? (The Anniversary update?)

Yeah, the test tone and for example online streaming services like soundcloud or spotify are only providing data for the 2 front speakers. But I tested it in the game Doom and I set up the VLC player for surround sound and then all the speakers where working again!
So, I am pretty confused right now, especially because the subwoofer is not working, when I am not using a surround sound program.

Thank you for your answers!

I hope you can understand me, because I am not a native english speaker. :)

Looks like one of their terms related to 3D audio. Where are you seeing it?

This possibly could also be because of Dolby Atmos additions, which doesn't relate to those with older hardware, or without licenses anyways... other than broken drivers (perhaps).

Or neither of those.

And that's completely separate from anything in the Advanced tab?

Are there any other options, or maybe just Disabled?

Looks like this is with the auto-installed Microsoft drivers and not Realtek?

This is just curiosities because this doesn't have much of anything to do with broken Optical/ S/PDIF.

System Name Gaming PC
Processor 8700k delided with Grizzly liquid metal overclocked to 5Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac
Cooling Noctua CPU and case fans
Memory G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT
Storage SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB M.2
Display(s) Old LG Plasma TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F1
Audio Device(s) All software...Dolby Atmos
Power Supply EVGA G3 750 watt
Mouse None
Keyboard Bluetooth something
Software Windows 10
and still no go in 15007 with the newest 2.81 modded :(
Hi friends!
Try to apply this patch to newest drivers. I made patch a long time ago, but it must to work properly till now.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...d-dts-interactive.193148/page-47#post-3392213

I just got a new laptop and am going through my normal "best possible audio" adventure. I have a ton of Android audio mod experience, among other things. I currently have the latest 2.81 drivers installed. @pendragon1 , are you using the above patch to get the unlock on 2.81?

Also, I have been tearing apart some audio drivers to find Beats, Waves, Harmon Kardon, and Bang & Olufsen sound libraries (.dll files), along with looking over the viper4windows driver. I'm wondering how exactly these libraries differ from Android sound .libs (meaning that a simple placement of some Beats Audio sound libs in the proper file locations would result in Beats Audio sound enhancements? Currently I have viper4android with ARISE sound mod and Dolby ATMOS on my Android.

So.....imagine a similar setup on our windows machines. Viper4windows as the main sound controller/EQ, with Dolby and DTS software controls. AND.....somehow putting other sound libs in the proper locations. Doing so on Android most of the time results in a change in sound. Meaning that having Sony audio libs in the proper location results in a clearer sound then without, just by placing the Sony audio libs where they would normally be on a Sony device.

I guess I need to know how the boards verify which drivers/sound libs can be loaded, and/or how to create an APO that we can dump other sound libs like Beats or Harmon Kardon into.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/audio/audio-processing-object-architecture

Anyone interested on a new audio project? :D

ifpmaximus34

Does anybody now how to enable srs technology it was seen at speakers propertise near enhancements but idk how i made it work it really helped in sound if someone help would be nice
i have realtek hd audio alc887 if that helps thanks