• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

URGENT: Creative X-FI Speaker Config Problem

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
odd to see the original cause of the problem was something I completely didn't expect - although info wasn't too clear.

Curious - when you weren't getting any sound from your other speakers, and you had CMSS-3D enabled . . . did you have it set to "Stereo Surround?"

As Mussels pointed out, mp3s are 2-channel, so are 90% of all compressed audio formats out there . . . if you have CMSS enabled, and set to "Stereo Surround," the card will try to position the audio tracks as it's layed out in the file - meaning 90% of your audio will be coming from LF and RF, the rest is displaced to the center and rear channels - unless, of course, the audio source has been recorded in a multi-channel format.

Setting CMSS to "stereo xpand" causes the hardware to upmix the source and determine what percentage of the track should be sent to which channel at which times - which equates to an even amount of volume from all speakers. Unless you're watching DVDs or listening to DVD-quality audio, stereo xpand is the recommended setting.

My personal opinion on positional audio - I'd recommend to use the X-Fi software, if possible, instead of built-in speaker capabilites. CMSS-3D is one of (if not the) best software for positional audio available, and has the hardware on the card to be able to upmix, downmix, pan, or modify the output stream as often as needed, and much faster than other positional audio solutions can.

Nzaonline

Yes it was ticked in that option and when it was it gives me low muffled sound using the 5.1speaker settings option.

Will take on board all your tips :)

Thank you guys for all the support! I appreciate it :nutkick:

Curious - when you weren't getting any sound from your other speakers, and you had CMSS-3D enabled . . . did you have it set to "Stereo Surround?"

As Mussels pointed out, mp3s are 2-channel, so are 90% of all compressed audio formats out there . . . if you have CMSS enabled, and set to "Stereo Surround," the card will try to position the audio tracks as it's layed out in the file - meaning 90% of your audio will be coming from LF and RF, the rest is displaced to the center and rear channels - unless, of course, the audio source has been recorded in a multi-channel format.

Setting CMSS to "stereo xpand" causes the hardware to upmix the source and determine what percentage of the track should be sent to which channel at which times - which equates to an even amount of volume from all speakers. Unless you're watching DVDs or listening to DVD-quality audio, stereo xpand is the recommended setting.

My personal opinion on positional audio - I'd recommend to use the X-Fi software, if possible, instead of built-in speaker capabilites. CMSS-3D is one of (if not the) best software for positional audio available, and has the hardware on the card to be able to upmix, downmix, pan, or modify the output stream as often as needed, and much faster than other positional audio solutions can.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Yes it was ticked in that option and when it was it gives me low muffled sound using the 5.1speaker settings option.

Will take on board all your tips :)

Thank you guys for all the support! I appreciate it :nutkick:

If you had it set to "stereo surround" - change it to "stereo xpand" and see how that sounds instead :toast:

Nzaonline

Hello again guys

I purchased a Belkin pure av digital optical audio cable toslink to mini and I just fitted it onto Logitech control pod and the mini to my optical out port behind on soundcard circular slot.

When I select optical it's saying no device found. Am I doing something wrong? I also ticked enable digital I/O in my Advanced speaker settings.

Onboard Sound Card: X-FI Xtreme Music

My version of the X-FI drivers installed does not also give me the decoder option tab as shown here also
http://www.soundblaster.com/images/inline/articles/audio_console.jpg

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Hello again guys

I purchased a Belkin pure av digital optical audio cable toslink to mini and I just fitted it onto Logitech control pod and the mini to my optical out port behind on soundcard circular slot.

When I select optical it's saying no device found. Am I doing something wrong?
Yeah, probably. where are you connecting this again? to the optical source on the back of the control unit? and where is it coming from?

Nzaonline

I connected the digital optical cable in the optical slot behind logitech control pod then I fit the other end (mini for 3.5 sound card slot)

So the digital optical cable is fitted from control pod to sound card slot and when I select the optical option on remote, it says no optical data found. So it could be that the Xtreme Music card does not support SPDIF :ohwell:

Yeah, probably. where are you connecting this again? to the optical source on the back of the control unit? and where is it coming from?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I connected the digital optical cable in the optical slot behind logitech control pod then I fit the other end (mini for 3.5 sound card slot)

So the digital optical cable is fitted from control pod to sound card slot and when I select the optical option on remote, it says no optical data found. So it could be that the Xtreme Music card does not support SPDIF :ohwell:

thats possible. its also possible its the wrong adaptor, or something. I dont have a definite answer for you here, maybe pics will help.

Nzaonline

Its simple...

All I am doing is connecting the newly bought digital optical cable to the optical out port behind the Control Pod of the z-5500, then my other end of optical cable gets fitted into the optical out port behind my PC via the tos link to mini converter.

Now the wire is now connected but when I select optical on remote it says not detected.

It will be a shame if the X-Fi extreme music sound card does not support straight digital cable into optical out slot of sound card.

Please advise anyone

thats possible. its also possible its the wrong adaptor, or something. I dont have a definite answer for you here, maybe pics will help.

Darren

System Name Cheap yet powerful gaming and entertainment rig!
Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 Windsor, 1 MB L2 Cache (512k L2 Per Core), 65W Energy efficient, 2GHz @ 2.78 Ghz
Motherboard Asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720p Rev v5.0
Cooling Freezer 64, 2x120mm, 1x92mm
Memory 8 GB DDRII PC6400 @ 929 MHz OCZ (2GBx4) timing: 5-5-5-5-16-2T
Video Card(s) XFX ATI4830
Storage Seagate 320 GB SATA (16 MB Cache)
Display(s) 19' HannsG (1440x900 @ 75hz)
Case Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian, Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver 7.1 with DD/DD EX/Prologic II/DTS/DTS-ES//DTS: Neo
Power Supply Cool Master eXtreme Power 460W PSU
Software Vista Ultimate X64 Corporate Edition
Its simple...

All I am doing is connecting the newly bought digital optical cable to the optical out port behind the Control Pod of the z-5500, then my other end of optical cable gets fitted into the optical out port behind my PC via the tos link to mini converter.

Now the wire is now connected but when I select optical on remote it says not detected.

It will be a shame if the X-Fi extreme music sound card does not support straight digital cable into optical out slot of sound card.

Please advise anyone

So I'm guessing you bought one of these? If so your problems will not be solved, you will still get stereo only, the quality will be the same and you'll be forced to continue using PLII music.

Buy a soundcard with Dolby Digital Encoding and stop trying to fix creatives defective products.

Nzaonline

No I have not bought that. Is this what I need to plug my optical digital cable into?

So I'm guessing you bought one of these? If so your problems will not be solved, you will still get stereo only, the quality will be the same and you'll be forced to continue using PLII music.

Buy a soundcard with Dolby Digital Encoding and stop trying to fix creatives defective products.

Darren

Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 Windsor, 1 MB L2 Cache (512k L2 Per Core), 65W Energy efficient, 2GHz @ 2.78 Ghz
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian, Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver 7.1 with DD/DD EX/Prologic II/DTS/DTS-ES//DTS: Neo
No I have not bought that. Is this what I need to plug my optical digital cable into?

This product allows one to use SPDIF on a creative soundcard if their current one isn't equipped with the output. You will not see any benefit over using analogue, I'd almost consider it a scam.

Tell me the model name/number/type of the product you did buy, and a picture of the product too.

Nzaonline

Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music/SB0460

This product allows one to use SPDIF on a creative soundcard if their current one isn't equipped with the output. You will not see any benefit over using analogue, I'd almost consider it a scam.

Tell me the model name/number/type of the product you did buy, and a picture of the product too.

Darren

The Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music doesn't have Digital Audio outputs so you can't connect it to the Logitech Z-5500 via a digital cable.

Either you buy the device I posted earlier, however quality in sound will not improve and would probably sound worst than using the 3.5mm analogue jacks (front, back, center). Alternatively you can buy a soundcard with digital outputs, they can be had for cheap below £30 - but again quality will not change you'll get stereo and be forced to use Prologic Music II once again.

Alternatively you can stop making creative rich, buy a soundcard with digital output and real time Dolby/DTS encoding and stop worrying about why "I aren't getting surround in games" or "why aren't I getting voices in YouTube"

You'll have to buy a new soundcard either way, steer away from creative and buy with our advise.

Nzaonline

Lol ok thank you will take dat on board...

The Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music doesn't have Digital Audio outputs so you can't connect it to the Logitech Z-5500 via a digital cable.

Either you buy the device I posted earlier, however quality in sound will not improve and would probably sound worst than using the 3.5mm analogue jacks (front, back, center). Alternatively you can buy a soundcard with digital outputs, they can be had for cheap below £30 - but again quality will not change you'll get stereo and be forced to use Prologic Music II once again.

Alternatively you can stop making creative rich, buy a soundcard with digital output and real time Dolby/DTS encoding and stop worrying about why "I aren't getting surround in games" or "why aren't I getting voices in YouTube"

You'll have to buy a new soundcard either way, steer away from creative and buy with our advise.