• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vapochill Questions

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
You are right, parts of the chip way down can still cook. Hence the reason a chip that hit 6Ghz on LN2 won't boot after you do that to it.

Yes it can help the chip live longer, yes it is more for over clocking more than anything. That cooler will move from PC to PC so it's not just a one PC part to toss after you are done with it.

boshuter

First, you won't get -50c with a Vapochill, the temp readings on the Vapo's are notoriously inaccurate and always read colder than they really are.

A Vapochill, or almost any single stage phase unit is not made for all out benching. They should be used with moderate vcore, about the same as you would run with good water cooling, the benifit is that the cold temps will give you a much better oc than you can get with water; IE: if you can get 4.0ghz @ 1.45v on water, you can probably get 4.5ghz at same vcore with phase change. (this is just an example, results will vary).

@DaMulta... not all 6ghz cpu's die after testing, this is a popular misconception. I have the world record for Pentium D 950 Presler at 6.1ghz, this was set a couple of years ago using dry ice cooling, that cpu was benched hard for a couple of months at very high vcore and a few months after that was installed in a pc I put together for my brother.... it's still purring along at 4ghz to this day with no ill effects. ;) So far, I've never killed a cpu by benching and most of my cpu's end up in daily use pc's when I'm through with them. I have killed a few gpu's though, mostly from condensation though.:D

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Yea not all of them will die, but some of them will.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
Is it worth it from a longer lifespan point of view or just a overclocking point of view?

It is not worth the price from a lifespan point of view. They are very expensive, if you enjoy overclocking and dont mind the extra work (covering the motherboard and suroundings with dielectric grease or the like) I would not reccamend it. I have a tec lieing around that I have not used yet, it seemed like a good idea at the time.