1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista-XP File Sharing

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by beesagtig, Jan 15, 2009.

1. beesagtig

beesagtig New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey

This has probably been asked thousands of time but I can't find any on here and nothing I've found on google has helped.

How can I get file sharing working between an XP machine and a Vista machine.

Below is what the network map looks like. Olly-PC is vista and olly-2 is XP. So the vista machine can see the XP machine but when I go in the Network folder it doesn't let me see into the shared files of the XP pc. There is also another computer (XP) that is hard wired into the router, the two XP machines can see each other fine and can transfer files between each other.

[​IMG]

I had it working between XP and Vista for about and hour a week ago when I decided to set file sharing up but then I restarted the vista machine and when I tried to go back and swap some more files but I could no longer see XP machine. I've tried everything I can think of and more and cant get the sharing working.

Any ideas?

Olly

2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I am very interested in the answer to this too. I was going to make my own thread about it this very night.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    This may help

Source

You have probably went through these but just to repeat.
    If you can not see the XP machine then check a firewall is not blocking it.Also check that your network and user names are the same on both machines.Make sure file sharing on and that you have some files shared.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. beesagtig

beesagtig New Member

Thanks Received:
    Done all that thanks though

It's less of an access denied than a just plain can't see it in the network folder.

5. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    No problem..I know I had a hell of a time to get mine to work as well.

Also had to add the XP machine to the trusted IP's in my Antivirus/Firewall setup (Using NOD32)

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    its ezy all you have to do is go though the network settup in xp and change the network name to WORKGROUP and at the end of the settup click Share files and printers

7. js01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have sharing between my vista and my bros xp machine, have you tried just typing in the address computer name then map network drive. The only thing my bro had to do was run the network wizard and then he showed up, but once in a while I can't see it but typing the computer name always works.

8. beesagtig

beesagtig New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hasn't fixed it

9. js01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you ping the xp machine either by it's host name or ip address? You should be able to map a network drive to his share ex: \\computer name\shared docs.

10. beesagtig

beesagtig New Member

Thanks Received:
    dunno how to ping by host name but heres the rest

[​IMG]

11. beesagtig

beesagtig New Member

Thanks Received:
    No idea how but its now working:)

Edit: However really slow transfer speed between XP machine and Vista (only 1MB/s on a 24?MB/s router)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  12. spy2520 New Member

Thanks Received:
    try taking the space out of that folder name (on both machines) and trying it.

I heard Vista-XP sharing could have issues if certain characters appear.

No guarantee but it might work.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. beesagtig

beesagtig New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, if it stops working again I'll try that:)

14. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    1MB/s is normal. Your router is 54Mb, which is megabits. In megabytes, thats 6.75.

So with your 24Mb (bits) connection is actually 3MB/s (bytes). And being wireless, you wont hit your top speed of 3 megs.

If you havent already, go through your network setup wizard on the XP machine and when it asks about your connection method choose "Other" followed by "This computer connects to the internet via a hub. Other computers also connect to this hub" or something along those lines (its the first option iirc). Also as mentioned, change it from MSHOME to WORKGROUP.

beesagtig says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. beesagtig

beesagtig New Member

Thanks Received:
    They are all on MSHOME so thats ok, done network setup wizard.

I've just checked the box for the router and it actually says 54Mb so is 1MB still normal?

16. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I've had no problem with this... It's past my bedtime so I will be brief:

1) On both computers, you need a good computer name (a-z, A-Z, 0-9, _, - characters ONLY; not case-sensitive).
    2) They must have matching workgroup names (a-z, A-Z, 0-9, _, - characters ONLY; not case-sensitive).
    3) They both must have file sharing enabled.
    4) If you expect to find another computer, that computer must have something shared even if it is an empty folder, it will work. You won't be able to find a computer that isn't sharing anything (this is a common issue). You can usually enable sharing of an object by right-clicking it and selecting properties. I would only share folders and not specific files/applications.
    5) These steps will only add exceptions for Windows Firewall. If you are using 3rd party software, you'll most likely have to set up exceptions in it as well.

Wired connections are strongly recommended for testing purposes. Wireless may be your entire problem. Once you know you can access files, then it is time to address any wireless connectivity issues.

54 Megabits / 1 second * 1 byte / 8 bits = 6.75 Megabytes / second

Figure in distance + signal strength + packet loss = not much

Seriously, I haven't been satisfied with wireless at all until changing to Draft n. The performance and reliability is hideous on a, b, and g. Draft n really doesn't have performance to gawk (connection around 100 Megabits/second) at but it is at least respectable.

I'm probably just used to unwavering reliability of wired 100/1000 networking. XD

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
    beesagtig says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU