• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water Cooling, Loop and power advice needed!

System Name Akame
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.5Ghz /// (Stock)
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VI HERO Intel Z87 Socket 1150
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Memory 16Gb (4x4Gb) /// G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC GAMING ACX 2.0
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (OS) /// Samsung 840 EVO 250GB /// Western Digital Caviar 1TB Green SATAIII
Display(s) Asus 22-inch VH226H Widescreen LCD Monitor (2ms, 3000:1, 1920x1080) Full HD
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 Gen1
Power Supply Corsair AX760W Full Modular 80+ Platinum
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
Keyboard AFX MK0217 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Hey, as some of you may know I've been wanting to water cool my system for a while now, I'm finally ordering my parts bit by bit, but I have a loop in mind and a slight power problem in my mind that needs clearing up hehe!

Right, lets start with the loop, my idea for the loop is to go like this;

PUMP >> RADIATOR >> CPU BLOCK >> RADIATOR >> GPU BLOCK >> RADIATOR >> RESERVOIR >> PUMP

To make things clear there, I start with the pump Swiftech MCP655 12v DC Pump, from there I go to my first of three radiators Black Ice Xtreme III Triple 120mm Radiator into the CPU Block Copper TDX Block for Athlon64 754/939/940. From here I travel to the second of three radiators Black Ice Xtreme II Dual 120mm Radiator to the GPU Block Danger Den Acetal MAZE4 GPU. After exiting the GPU block we are then taken to the last of the three radiators Black Ice Xtreme 120mm Radiator then heading off finally to my reservoir D-TEK Bay-Reservoir- Dual 5 1/4"- Clear. Then as you gathered, we go back to the start with my pump!

Quite a long trip I know, but, it gets the water cooled quite efficiently doesn't it?

Other things that will be included with the loop rig, is a seperate tower case to hold my radiators, pump, etc... Hose Clamps (Jubilee clips), Tygon Tubing (1/2" ID and 11/16" OD), 6 Delta 120x38mm TFB1212GHE Extreme High Speed (220 CFM).

Now I'd like an opinion or two if not more on my loop idea ;)

As for the power problem, I am wondering if there is a program/application that tells you the current consumption of your PSU in your computer and how much is free to use, if not, would my single PSU in my system run my current computer setup AS WELL as the new water cooling loop I am going to implement in my system? If not, am I able to use a seperate PSU to run the water cooling on it's own supply and keep my current PSU in my system untouched by the water cooling setup? If in this case, would I need a motherboard to get the PSU working the water cooling loop or not? If not, would I need to mod the new PSU in some way to make it run the loop and if so how and what would I do to go about it?

I hope this is all good enough and enough information for you lot to evaluate and respond as I really want to know as much as possible while doing this, so I can benefit from the learning curve as I'm a rank newbie in water cooling :p

Thanks for your time, have a good day!

--Lee

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
First, in my opinion there's absolutely no need of three(oh my god)......radiators. You won't drop the temps much, just think for a second: you have a room temperature at about ~20-25'C the loop won't run cooler then 20'C even if you have 3 radiators. I won't mention the other factors. 3 radiators means lots of water in your loop......that doesn't mean necessary better perfomance. Third, the water cooling system is quite solution, if you hear 65.0 dBA fan x 6 at full speeds.....oh god, you'll need a separate room for your water sig. I have to say that one 3x120 extreme black ice is enough for an excellent water system(even if you use GPU and chipset water blocks).

Here's online PSU calculator that can tell you the current consumption of your components. You haven't mention what PSU do you have? Common water coolings(as yours) won't need second PSU to work. If you have second power supply you'll complicate all the system, now you'll have to think how to power on the 2 PSU's at the same time and turn them off. Why do you need second PSU when there're 220V pumps. ;)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
well the loop seems kinda long with that radiator in the middle but it shouldnt be a problem if your pump can push it through fast...but with your graphics card and that processor the radiator in the middle isnt a bad idea....you do have a good fan on each radiator right like a 120mm? as for the psu it should be fine the biggest problem would be the pump but i do beleive those plug into an outlet anyway not your psu soo actually tahts pretty good as long as your pump can push the water at a good rate through those radiators or else youll have slow/sitting water on those blocks=bad.....and as long as theirs a good fan on those radiators i dont see a problem with that set up.

System Name Current rig
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Cooling Corsair h150i Pro
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus 2090 ti Strix
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
Display(s) Alienware aw3418dw
Case Thermaltake View 91
Power Supply seasonic 1kw
Israar said:
Hey, as some of you may know I've been wanting to water cool my system for a while now, I'm finally ordering my parts bit by bit, but I have a loop in mind and a slight power problem in my mind that needs clearing up hehe!

Right, lets start with the loop, my idea for the loop is to go like this;

PUMP >> RADIATOR >> CPU BLOCK >> RADIATOR >> GPU BLOCK >> RADIATOR >> RESERVOIR >> PUMP

To make things clear there, I start with the pump Swiftech MCP655 12v DC Pump, from there I go to my first of three radiators Black Ice Xtreme III Triple 120mm Radiator into the CPU Block Copper TDX Block for Athlon64 754/939/940. From here I travel to the second of three radiators Black Ice Xtreme II Dual 120mm Radiator to the GPU Block Danger Den Acetal MAZE4 GPU. After exiting the GPU block we are then taken to the last of the three radiators Black Ice Xtreme 120mm Radiator then heading off finally to my reservoir D-TEK Bay-Reservoir- Dual 5 1/4"- Clear. Then as you gathered, we go back to the start with my pump!

Quite a long trip I know, but, it gets the water cooled quite efficiently doesn't it?

Other things that will be included with the loop rig, is a seperate tower case to hold my radiators, pump, etc... Hose Clamps (Jubilee clips), Tygon Tubing (1/2" ID and 11/16" OD), 6 Delta 120x38mm TFB1212GHE Extreme High Speed (220 CFM).

Now I'd like an opinion or two if not more on my loop idea ;)

As for the power problem, I am wondering if there is a program/application that tells you the current consumption of your PSU in your computer and how much is free to use, if not, would my single PSU in my system run my current computer setup AS WELL as the new water cooling loop I am going to implement in my system? If not, am I able to use a seperate PSU to run the water cooling on it's own supply and keep my current PSU in my system untouched by the water cooling setup? If in this case, would I need a motherboard to get the PSU working the water cooling loop or not? If not, would I need to mod the new PSU in some way to make it run the loop and if so how and what would I do to go about it?

I hope this is all good enough and enough information for you lot to evaluate and respond as I really want to know as much as possible while doing this, so I can benefit from the learning curve as I'm a rank newbie in water cooling :p

Thanks for your time, have a good day!

--Lee

theres things called "in-line radiators" go get some

System Name Akame
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (OS) /// Samsung 840 EVO 250GB /// Western Digital Caviar 1TB Green SATAIII
Display(s) Asus 22-inch VH226H Widescreen LCD Monitor (2ms, 3000:1, 1920x1080) Full HD
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
Cheers for the input, lol, I was thinking of three so that the overall temperatures don't rise too much for when it goes into the reservoir at the end, and my room temp is usually about 25-30C sometimes higher.

Also, checked that PSU consumption thing, and it said about 398W, I have a 525W Hyper Type-R, you can check my PSU in the system specs in my profile to the left :p

For the noise, it doesn't bother me... I can just null it out, easy really.

Was thinking about the second PSU, as you allowed me to have the link to check my consumption I doubt I'd need it, and I was basically asking about the 2nd PSU because I didn't know whether it would be better having a seperate PSU to run the water cooling itself 24/7 than have it ran off one in use, but doesn't matter :)

I know the specs of the MCP655 here:

Max Discharge: ~317 GPH (1200 LPH)
Connection Size: 1/2" Barbs
Max Pressure: 50 PSI (3.5 BAR)
Temps range: 32F to 140F (0C to 60C)
Impeller Housing material: Noryl (R) -- This is Nylon if I'm right.

So, you think it's powerful enough to pump it around the whole 3 radiators or not, as I am getting a price on the next two rads, more tubing, the pump and some more hose clamps, so if I REALLY don't need the two radiators then I may not order them and change the order, if not I'll not order the single and just order the double rad and have it after the CPU and GPU :)

--Lee

System Name Akame
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
bikr692002 said:
theres things called "in-line radiators" go get some

???

The way I was thinking about it was to split the rads so it cools the overall flow, by rights it should keep the loop cooler having rads before and after the "hot spots" (CPU and GPU), rather than have in-line rads before the "hot-spots".

--Lee

System Name Current rig
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Cooling Corsair h150i Pro
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus 2090 ti Strix
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
Display(s) Alienware aw3418dw
Case Thermaltake View 91
Power Supply seasonic 1kw