• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooling Gone Wild: Overly Expensive Noob Edition

I made CAD files of the case and dimensions and even then i had some issues that woulda grabbed my ass had I knot done mockups. The clearance of the GFX cards w/ water blocks to the Reservoir was about a playing card in thickness. With intake fans under the bottom rad, it allowed me to install an elbow on the underside of the radiator's reservoir. ... then an extension and finally a male QD fitting that was about 2 mm from the removable side panel. Pop of the side panel, connect the mating QD female fitting w/ valve and 3 feet of tubing and I'm ready to drain. Of course that's not gonna happen without a way to let in so the top rad was a mirror image. The loop was connected to the two ports on the underside. With another 40mm extension, when I popped off the top intake grille, I had two plugs right underneath. Id connect a fitting w/ 12"or rigid acrylic, valve and funnel for filling or bleeding. Served as a) an air inlet when draining b) an attention free bleed tube (fill the tube with coolant 1/4" short of the valve, close, turn on the pump (only, system was off) and go to bed. In morning, would see the tube that had been filled with coolant at bed time, now only about 1/4 full where air had bubbled out replacing the coolant in the stack tube and c) as a fill tube

Anyway, here's the drain port assembled

System Name Pegasus
Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X @ 4GHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme
Cooling Custom 480mm EK Loop
Memory 4 x 8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000MHz @ 3000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2 x 25" Dell Ultrasharp U2515H / 1 x 15" ASUS MB169+
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) 2 x Tannoy Reveal 502 / Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm / Behringer Xenyx X1204 USB / MXL 770
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova G3 1000W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS / Corsair K95 RGB / Anne Pro 2 / 2 x Elgato Stream Deck
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit
Ease of disassembly / coolant change / Maintenance

I can essentially push two buttons isolating the CPU block and the radiator / res / pump. No coolant spilling no need to drain it just to take it off or swap a part.

I guess it makes sense if function is preferred over form. I just popped a drain at the bottom of my res with a ball valve but then again, there's a hell of a lot of space in a 900D.

I did go with ZMT tubing myself this time around, how are you liking it? It feels and looks like it will outlive me.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
I like the ZMT tubing my only gripe is it seems to hold on to dust. Thats only downside for me really. I like the fact its a bit stiff and sturdy made this build easier because of it. I also do not like the yellowing and aging most clear tubing goes through. While that has gotten better over the years its still not perfect So having black tubing just kinda solves the problem.

The issue with my res is the pump is built in at the bottom. Do to space constraints I was not able to fit a drain. That said due to using dual disconnects I can just use a third to force the line open and drain both sides.

System Name Pegasus
Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X @ 4GHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme
Cooling Custom 480mm EK Loop
Memory 4 x 8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000MHz @ 3000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2 x 25" Dell Ultrasharp U2515H / 1 x 15" ASUS MB169+
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) 2 x Tannoy Reveal 502 / Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm / Behringer Xenyx X1204 USB / MXL 770
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova G3 1000W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS / Corsair K95 RGB / Anne Pro 2 / 2 x Elgato Stream Deck
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit
Ah I missed the pump down there, how silly of me. I agree about ZMT being a bit stiff, made me less concerned about any possible kinks.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Leak testing passed loop is installed and working. Still need to redo the wiring and clean things up more. However here it is chugging away. Eventually in the near future i will upgrade it to Koolance QDC fittings at which point the wiring for the entire system will get taken care of in the process. Since this is my daily driver having it down for extended periods just isn't in the cards right now.

1535304716560.JPEG

System Name K9
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz and 32deg C - delid + Grizzly Conductonaught LM
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Custom water cooling loop - GPU + mobo (+VRM's) + CPU
Memory G Skill - Trident Z RGB DDR4 - 3866Mhz x 32Gb @ 3800Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 11Gb GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Extreme @ 2250Mhz
Storage Samsung 500Gb M2 970 EVO + Samsung 850 Pro SSD + ADATA 512Gb SSD + Samsung 1Tb & 3T + WD 1Tb + 3Tb
Display(s) ASUS 27" ROG Swift 1440p @ 165Hz & BenQ 27" LED
Case Thermaltake Core P7 - Open frame
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z906 - 5.1ch
Power Supply EVGA 1200W
Mouse Roccat LeadR + Razer Nagar V2 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX with Cherry Red switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores v/fast
Leak testing passed loop is installed and working. Still need to redo the wiring and clean things up more. However here it is chugging away. Eventually in the near future i will upgrade it to Koolance QDC fittings at which point the wiring for the entire system will get taken care of in the process. Since this is my daily driver having it down for extended periods just isn't in the cards right now.

View attachment 105947
hi m8,

The water in your reservoir seems a little bit low ??

cheers

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
It is a bit low to allow for air bubbles currently, still letting them work out of the system. It has gotten a lot quieter but there is still a few air bubbles left to work out. Once the pump is back to running silent like before I will top it off.

Between the leak test and final mount i drained the loop. I ran just distilled water at the time to help flush things out a bit and make sure everything was clean.

Last edited:

Before putting on a thread police badge, try actually reading Op's posts

The fun that is mocking up the layout only to realize nothing fits as intended.

The response to Post No 2 details several ways (CAD Drawings / mockups of making sure that happens

(#7) ..... the part where the OP asked for ideas on how to hide the QDC fittings

Now if anyone has any ideas on how to sleeve and or hide the QDC fittings to some extent I am all ears

The response to Post No 7 shows one way hide QDC fittings.

If you actually read the OPs questions, I don't see how the post could be considered no responsive.

It is a bit low to allow for air bubbles currently, still letting them work out of the system. It has gotten a lot quieter but there is still a few air bubbles left to work out. Once the pump is back to running silent like before I will top it off.

Between the leak test and final mount i drained the loop. I ran just distilled water at the time to help flush things out a bit and make sure everything was clean.

After cleaning the rads with "Blitz Kit", I connect them to the faucet and run water thr them for about 10 minutes. Next goes a quich flush with DW for about 1 - 2 hours, followed by a 2nd filling of DW which I run cupla days to a week before final flush and full with coolant of choice.

Couple of tips going forward:

I found that the DW and / or coolant will continue to "off gas" for some time.

NOTE: Any liquid exposed to air will absorb air and this knowledge is very IMPORTANT. When this happens pH drops... significantly. Never leave Distilled Water exposed to air or you will find that in absorbing CO2 from the air, it's pH drops when carbonic acid is formed ... significantly ... down to 5.8 or so. It only takes about 2 hours.

When using a vertical reservoir, I found the best way to address this is to allow the reservoir to fill to 85-90% and use a fill tube on the reservoir fill line that exits below water. Any free flowing bubbles will be caught here. You will still see some bubbles get caught at the highest point. Again, this is were rad top ports come in handy. Taking the top port cap off, connected the 12" vertical rigid acrylic tube, topped with the valve and funnel allows this air to escape and be replaced with coolant... unattended I used to check for air accumulation every 3 months .... now 6. Recommend draining the system and replacing the coolant every 18 - 24 months.

1. Shut system down, fill with water ... some add a bit of vinegar (this assumes you did a true chemical flush (Blitz Kit) of system at build time. Run for 2 hours or whatever is convenient. This step is going to be more important if using dyed coolant (especially if changing colors) ... no sense wasting DW which ya have to buy to make sure ya refill is tained with old color.

2. Shut down and drain again, fill with Distilled water, run for an hour and drain

3. Shut down and drain again ... run for a week, bleeding if you hear noises

4. Replace coolant.

Sounds like work, but the drain, fill / bleed and reservoir bleed ports, just takes a few minutes.

Also easy to do with OLC type AIOS like the Swiftech. If your rad has a side port, also works too. Use a horizontal piped rigid acrylic extension on the reservor port with valve and cap. When you want to bleed or fill.

1. Make sure valve is closed. Build a horizontal rigid acrylic tube extension long enough to exit thru a 5-1/4 bay or take off front panel if none exists. At the end of the tube, add an elbow fitting, another vertical extension extending to a point higher than any point on the loop.

2. Tilt the box back on a desk / table supporting the top back of the case on a couple of books so that a) the rad fill port is the highest point and b) you can leave all rear wires connected.

3. Let it run until no noise or bubbles in reservoir, topping off with added coolant as necessary. If you don't have a reservoir (with air space on top) or a horizontal one, have to take a spec more care here.

4. To make sure loop is full, you will not be able to avoid leaving some coolant in the acrylic tube downstram of the valve. This is no big concern. Close the valve and tip the box upright again. Your excess coolant will be in the tube but it cant leak out cause the vertical section is still higher then any point in the system. Grab a bowl or container then rotate the elbow with one hand while holding the bowl on the other. Leave the vertical tube pointing down over the bowl and maybe stick a book under the rear of the case. Once satisfied, remove the acrylic tubing parts and put the cap back on donstreeam of the valve,

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Okay John, I have been pleasant about it, others made note of it with a colorful post on thread hijacking.

This is not the first time I have done water cooling, in fact its my job here to review many of the coolers and expandable kits and I work closely with my colleagues on other articles and product segments. I also work as an outside consultant helping design coolers and handle product direction. While I appreciate the knowledge you have and the willingness to share, this thread is not the place for it. If you want to do a Q&A and post your knowledge, create a thread and share the knowledge there. The title for this project log is a bit misleading but thats it. It is a title and a fun side project to see what it would entail to make a regular loop appear somewhat like a hard tubing build but without the headaches that come with it.

I wonder how many other modders / users with project logs would tolerate this behavior. I am now politely letting you know it is not appreciated here.

To everyone else,

While the build is now working it is by no means complete a lot of work remains; cable management, some sleeved extensions for better cable routing and for a cleaner looks, curved wrap around tempered glass panel to better protect the pump/res/rad from some wonderfully curious cats, Koolance QDC fittings so the QDCs will better match the nickel plated fittings, LED strips for rear illumination of the radiator and if I find someone that can a custom 24-pin ATX modular cable for the PSU to remove the hideous rainbow wiring.

Best regards

Last edited: