• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you playing?

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Took a break from my 2nd playthrough of RE8 to play the Valhalla's DLC Wrath of the Druids...
View attachment 200420
No offence man, but why does it look so bad? It is supposed to be a modern game, but there's no grass and instead there's only green flat texture. Sea on right has big grey square and there are almost no shadows.

Last edited:
System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
No offence man, but why does it look so bad? It is supposed to be a modern game, but there's no grass and instead there's only green flat texture. See on right has big grey square and there are almost no shadows,
ima guess thats the game as hes running a 3090 but in the end graphics don't really matter

Ok so im looking for some racing games to play with my friends as we have exhausted forza
any suggestions

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
No offence man, but why does it look so bad? It is supposed to be a modern game, but there's no grass and instead there's only green flat texture. See on right has big grey square and there are almost no shadows,
In reality it’s a very beautiful game. Screens are tough, depending what method used to capture them. Even so, the graphics aren’t the main draw.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
In reality it’s a very beautiful game. Screens are tough, depending what method used to capture them. Even so, the graphics aren’t the main draw.
Yeah, I know. Its just surprising that new AAA game looks like it has environment modelling from 2004 and that's with RTX 3090 and likely not on low preset. Other models like character and trees seem to be good.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W

It's most likely just perspective...it's hard to see a blade of grass across a canyon and being Ireland they might have went for the mossy look.

2.jpg

3.jpg

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
So The Burning Crusade Classic prepatch dropped yesterday and I'm playing it and ... it's almost depressing really. WoW Classic felt like a breath of fresh air to me. It was slow ("Kill some spiders, and there's literally a seven minute walk there and then a seven minute walk back when you're done") and there was a LOT of walking even between quests ("go there, and the nearest fly point is like a ten minute walk away and there is this huge zone and only a single fly point and it's located on the extreme end") and it was rough and TBC has really smoothed some of those edges... But to me the game is worse, as an experience. As a game it's probably better, but on the whole ... nah. I've been playing Classic VERY casually the last four months or so and I have liked it. The slowness, the grind and the slow progression felt realistic, somehow. It felt correct, for the world it was portraying. It was part of the pacing. Yes, you have to spend all this time looking at a road and whatever is beside the road, but that's just how it is, and it's fine. You don't get quest pointers on the mini map, you just have to see who has something for you to do, and you just have to read the quest and to look around and see if you see anything that makes sense. The mineral ore stacks just went up to 10 because minerals are heavy. It felt accurate. Real, for the game. Already i see some of it being stripped away in favour of ... what, exactly? Effeciency? So they make this entire world which is quite well crafted, and then they make it so you can progress through it quicker, because the world is pointless? I get that in an MMO the end goal for many is the end game stuff, but still.

We'll see how long I go now, but I'll probably keep playing, but still very casually. One nice thing is that level progression up to lvl 60 is faster (but it's not entirely good as the levels feels cheap now). I really want to see TBC from Alliance side but real time as it were, I played Horde back in the day. Why play a game I've already played? Because it's a nice place to be, IMO.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So The Burning Crusade Classic prepatch dropped yesterday and I'm playing it and ... it's almost depressing really. WoW Classic felt like a breath of fresh air to me. It was slow ("Kill some spiders, and there's literally a seven minute walk there and then a seven minute walk back when you're done") and there was a LOT of walking even between quests ("go there, and the nearest fly point is like a ten minute walk away and there is this huge zone and only a single fly point and it's located on the extreme end") and it was rough and TBC has really smoothed some of those edges... But to me the game is worse, as an experience. As a game it's probably better, but on the whole ... nah. I've been playing Classic VERY casually the last four months or so and I have liked it. The slowness, the grind and the slow progression felt realistic, somehow. It felt correct, for the world it was portraying. It was part of the pacing. Yes, you have to spend all this time looking at a road and whatever is beside the road, but that's just how it is, and it's fine. You don't get quest pointers on the mini map, you just have to see who has something for you to do, and you just have to read the quest and to look around and see if you see anything that makes sense. The mineral ore stacks just went up to 10 because minerals are heavy. It felt accurate. Real, for the game. Already i see some of it being stripped away in favour of ... what, exactly? Effeciency? So they make this entire world which is quite well crafted, and then they make it so you can progress through it quicker, because the world is pointless? I get that in an MMO the end goal for many is the end game stuff, but still.

We'll see how long I go now, but I'll probably keep playing, but still very casually. One nice thing is that level progression up to lvl 60 is faster (but it's not entirely good as the levels feels cheap now). I really want to see TBC from Alliance side but real time as it were, I played Horde back in the day. Why play a game I've already played? Because it's a nice place to be, IMO.

I played WoW a lot in 2004/2005, the reward was very very satisfying because it was so hard to get anything, like the level 40 mount, etc. In regular WoW now when you get a reward the reward feels less satisfying but satisfying enough.

Time invested and pay off has a direct relationship with dopamine release in the brain. I'm pretty sure all games utilize this method now. They know you have little time though so they give you less dopamine but more often, instead of a lot of dopamine after a long investment.

I'm not sure what to think of it honestly. It's sort of the reason I'm becoming disenchanted with traditional games. I want something more... something new that isn't playing the dopamine game cause it's the easy way out.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I played WoW a lot in 2004/2005, the reward was very very satisfying because it was so hard to get anything, like the level 40 mount, etc. In regular WoW now when you get a reward the reward feels less satisfying but satisfying enough.

Time invested and pay off has a direct relationship with dopamine release in the brain. I'm pretty sure all games utilize this method now. They know you have little time though so they give you less dopamine but more often, instead of a lot of dopamine after a long investment.

I'm not sure what to think of it honestly. It's sort of the reason I'm becoming disenchanted with traditional games. I want something more... something new that isn't playing the dopamine game cause it's the easy way out.
Quicker shorter hits also keep you coming back for more. Dopamine is the motivator essentially, so they give you just enough to keep you playing.

I kind of feel you though. Too many times, I played a game and enjoyed it all the way through, but never got satisfaction. By the time I get to a payoff Im apathetic from the constant little hits.

And I mean... I have ADHD so I literally live from one dopamine bump to another... I need them to do things like... remember where I am and what Im doing. All day I need that going or I am getting beaten out by children when it comes to executive functioning.. Part of what makes games gripping for me is that tendency to provide steady, immediate feedback. It turns my brain on big time.

So those litlle bumps are important for me.

But once the brain is really on, it still wants a payoff. Otherwise playing your game is like drinking a glass of water for me. Turning my brain on but not really giving me much. It shows! People definitely feel that, if even I and my effed up brain can. Id play for hours with not much happening if I know Im working towards that. It takes more mental effort for me, but its never not worth it.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Just started Resident Evil Village and already had few better-than-average jumpscares. The gameplay feels like RE7 but with a little improvements.

Though I'm having some weird issues as I have a lag-spike like stutter. Updated the GPU driver to the newest one, didn't help.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Just started Resident Evil Village and already had few better-than-average jumpscares. The gameplay feels like RE7 but with a little improvements.

Though I'm having some weird issues as I have a lag-spike like stutter. Updated the GPU driver to the newest one, didn't help.

i think its the game itself, certain corridors in resident evil 2 and 3 i get frame drops for no reason, empty corridor with no zombies or monster..
and i've got a powerful rig....

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
i think its the game itself, certain corridors in resident evil 2 and 3 i get frame drops for no reason, empty corridor with no zombies or monster..
and i've got a powerful rig....
Guys on my discord server said that maybe my RAM OC isn't 100% stable, I need to check that one as I put TestMem running as I go to bed.

Otherwise 1080 Ti runs without problems on 1080p60 with everything maxed out.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Is that reward based on time spent though? In retail WoW the hits is a constant stream, and you only have to look at the screen to get some snazzy Achievement Unlocked graphics. Or No Mans Sky which had some graphics popup when you managed 1000 steps.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Currently playing Kingdoms and Castle... its a fun game with lots of things to build.
You can choose maps with enemies or an empty map to build leisurely.
The specs to run this game are parts from 10 years ago.. so no need high end hardware to play...
I picked this up on sale for $5

Attachments

• Town.jpg
    Town.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 58
System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
RE Village (3).png

Been playing a lot of the new Custody Battle 8 on the Xbox Series X starring Ethan Winters & super model vamp witches, on my 5th playthrough, really enjoying it.

Yeah, I know. Its just surprising that new AAA game looks like it has environment modelling from 2004 and that's with RTX 3090 and likely not on low preset. Other models like character and trees seem to be good.
A premium car like a 3090 isnt going to make a game look a generation ahead of its time, it only means you can play at higher resolutions and frame rates

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
A premium car like a 3090 isnt going to make a game look a generation ahead of its time, it only means you can play at higher resolutions and frame rates
I meant that it can max it out and run at high framerate. That should prevent low spec aesthetics in latest AAA game.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I meant that it can max it out and run at high framerate. That should prevent low spec aesthetics in latest AAA game.
LOD is the key here. Probably a bad match of smaller objects that fall outside of LOD ranges and no intermediate range version that shows anything. If its just grass, then it kinda makes sense, pop in has always been a thing in Ubisoft open world engines. I vividly remember the way stuff pops in in Far Cry, with the tiny block pattern.

The only game that doesn't have it uses a non-Ubisoft made engine, and its The Division, but even that one can have some vistas that could probably look a bit better in the distance.

Man... Control really is just a tightly put together game. Even the gameplay itself ties in... you're never told but the way to win fights in that game is to become one with the chaos - use it as a power. That is the theme of the whole game and it manifests in about 1000 ways, big and small. And when you do, it's a blast! Props to Remedy, I have a lot of goodwill towards them. There's a lot of vision and attention to detail in their games. I guess they'll always sort of be a cult thing, but I look at them and see a group of people who know what they're about and have been working together for a long time, and it shows in how well all of the different elements in their games jive... all the way down to the lore. It's like everybody working on it knew everything about it.

Anybody know what I mean? I feel like in nearly every modern game I play, there's a bunch of stuff in them that were clearly somebody else's ideas... and they're ideas a lot of other people working on the game didn't appear to know about, so there will be these irksome little conflicts between different elements of the game. Control might be one of the few games I've played that doesn't feel like a bunch of people just made a bunch of parts and hoped they would stick together. The whole thing is a well-oiled machine, never off-brand, always going deeper, always leaving room for more. I can say this because when I get into a game, I tear it to pieces. Listen to me talk about FO4 and you'd think I must hate it. For me to be combing over a game and being like "Yeah... this is nearly flawless." is pretty rare. Sometimes I have to say out loud how impressed I am when I play. :laugh:

They must be like a hivemind of automotons over there. It's basically the opposite of Bethesda, where it seems like they'll let anybody just add a big quest or other element that defies the general gameplay concepts and creates glaring plot holes. No... Control could've been made by just one very dedicated person and I wouldn't have questioned it. As a game it is just so... "complete."

Scope matters a lot. Some devs know their scope... others just don't. See CDPR for an example of the latter and then compare it to a game like Control. Different styles of game, but I'm not talking about style, or any defining elements. It's about the ideas and their execution. Is this a neatly arranged shelf or a grab-bag of elements with varying degrees of quality?
Control is legendary, its game play was so much fun to play an its story and atmosphere were intriguing.
Did you know Control was first teased in 2012 ?!
In the ending cridits song of Alan Wake American Nightmare, OST ( Balance slays the demon ), if you play the song in reverse, there are hidden lyrics that say: " it will happen again, in another town, a town called ordinary" Thats the name of the town that the protagonist lived in where the altered world event happend and she got her powers from.
crazy right.
here go in and read the comments !

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
LOD is the key here. Probably a bad match of smaller objects that fall outside of LOD ranges and no intermediate range version that shows anything. If its just grass, then it kinda makes sense, pop in has always been a thing in Ubisoft open world engines. I vividly remember the way stuff pops in in Far Cry, with the tiny block pattern.

The only game that doesn't have it uses a non-Ubisoft made engine, and its The Division, but even that one can have some vistas that could probably look a bit better in the distance.
But in Far Cry times we also had Athlon 64 and Pentium 4, for graphics - nVidia 6800 Ultra and ATi X800 XT PE only. We were quite limited by hardware, also huge ass world would be limited by then normal 512MB or 1GB RAM. Far Cry had a huge world, which was explorable and unique at the time and it already was tough on CPU. So it made sense to sacrifice something to make it run. Graphics cards had 256MB top frame buffer, but Far Cry only needed 128 MB with highest textures. But now what exactly is great about Valhalla? It's world is 38.5 square miles big, meanwhile GTA 5 has 49 square miles big map. GTA 5 runs very well on lower end hardware, meanwhile Valhalla does not. GTA 5 can look pretty decent with maximum settings, Valhalla cannot. Smells like Ubi can't really optimize games well. Anyway, I wonder if it has a console or ini file, where you can raise LOD. It would be interesting to see if higher LOD would tank fps or not.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
But in Far Cry times we also had Athlon 64 and Pentium 4, for graphics - nVidia 6800 Ultra and ATi X800 XT PE only. We were quite limited by hardware, also huge ass world would be limited by then normal 512MB or 1GB RAM. Far Cry had a huge world, which was explorable and unique at the time and it already was tough on CPU. So it made sense to sacrifice something to make it run. Graphics cards had 256MB top frame buffer, but Far Cry only needed 128 MB with highest textures. But now what exactly is great about Valhalla? It's world is 38.5 square miles big, meanwhile GTA 5 has 49 square miles big map. GTA 5 runs very well on lower end hardware, meanwhile Valhalla does not. GTA 5 can look pretty decent with maximum settings, Valhalla cannot. Smells like Ubi can't really optimize games well. Anyway, I wonder if it has a console or ini file, where you can raise LOD. It would be interesting to see if higher LOD would tank fps or not.
The pop in ubi games reminds me a little bit of memory issues with bethesda titles. There is a fix for it, which basically just involves changing an allocation, but it needs to be injected in at render level via ENB. It actually ends up coming down to RAM vs VRAM, which are then combined into one net allocation and if the math isn't right for your hardware (generally isn't,) performance suffers a little and you get tons of pop. Usually starts to happen when loading the engine down with higher-res textures, more objects, even just pushing the LOD tiers back to get more detail up in mid-detail distances. Start calling bigger textures sooner, you eventually hit that conflict where there will be stuff that should be in VRAM sitting in your RAM. Of course, when that happens there will be intermittent microstutter and texture pop corresponding.

Something like that. I haven't actually had to do that fix in a coupla years because it is set and forget. IIRC the allocation is actually too HIGH in many cases, leading to the RAM being used in cases where it shouldn't be. Kinda like the old page file trick. See... those games were made in a time when people generally didn't necessarily have 4-8gb on tap. The engine started off being 32-bit and it's the same one today, only brought into 64-bit times! It made sense to let the game run into RAM like that, people weren't expecting crazy frame rates from an open-world game of that scale, resolutions were generally lower, and people weren't piling up enough mods to actively eat 16gb of memory with ease. It didn't hurt, and for machines with less vram, actually made it much more runnable. Nowadays we bypass that with modern hardware, but the engine doesn't know how to use it on its own.

In that case, it's really not a failure of the engine. Within its stock parameters, the pop isn't an issue anymore, unless your hardware really isn't up to task, memory-wise (you can still benefit, but not nearly as much because it really is a hard wall of grunt.) But when you push it a little too far, it shows its cracks. All engines will and a big part of the technical challenge of a game is aligning the right capabilities. If you don't have them when you go to start putting it together, gotta make compromises, which is its own skill.

So I'm with you. I think they try to 'do the most' with it and are probably overtaxing what they really have to work with, basically ensuring that the game won't run 'perfectly' on any hardware. I use quotes because obviously no game does, but you know what I mean :p

Last edited:
System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
The pop in ubi games reminds me a little bit of memory issues with bethesda titles. There is a fix for it, which basically just involves changing an allocation, but it needs to be injected in at render level via ENB. It actually ends up coming down to RAM vs VRAM, which are then combined into one net allocation and if the math isn't right for your hardware (generally isn't,) performance suffers a little and you get tons of pop. Usually starts to happen when loading the engine down with higher-res textures, more objects, even just pushing the LOD tiers back to get more detail up in mid-detail distances. Start calling bigger textures sooner, you eventually hit that conflict where there will be stuff that should be in VRAM sitting in your RAM. Of course, when that happens there will be intermittent microstutter and texture pop corresponding.

Something like that. I haven't actually had to do that fix in a coupla years because it is set and forget. IIRC the allocation is actually too HIGH in many cases, leading to the RAM being used in cases where it shouldn't be. Kinda like the old page file trick. See... those games were made in a time when people generally didn't necessarily have 4-8gb on tap. The engine started off being 32-bit and it's the same one today, only brought into 64-bit times! It made sense to let the game run into RAM like that, people weren't expecting crazy frame rates from an open-world game of that scale, resolutions were generally lower, and people weren't piling up enough mods to actively eat 16gb of memory with ease. It didn't hurt, and for machines with less vram, actually made it much more runnable. Nowadays we bypass that with modern hardware, but the engine doesn't know how to use it on its own.

In that case, it's really not a failure of the engine. Within its stock parameters, the pop isn't an issue anymore, unless your hardware really isn't up to task, memory-wise (you can still benefit, but not nearly as much because it really is a hard wall of grunt.) But when you push it a little too far, it shows its cracks. All engines will and a big part of the technical challenge of a game is aligning the right capabilities. If you don't have them when you go to start putting it together, gotta make compromises, which is its own skill.

So I'm with you. I think they try to 'do the most' with it and are probably overtaxing what they really have to work with, basically ensuring that the game won't run 'perfectly' on any hardware. I use quotes because obviously no game does, but you know what I mean :p
So you are saying that Valhalla uses old engine?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
So you are saying that Valhalla uses old engine?
Nope, just giving an example of an engine pushed a little too far. Very different in most other regards. More relating to your recounting of Far Cry. Jogged a memory for me.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Nope, just giving an example of an engine pushed a little too far. Very different in most other regards. More relating to your recounting of Far Cry. Jogged a memory for me.
Okay. But Far Cry was only difficult to run at time. Now it's nothing. Even AMD A4 6300 APU can run it maxed out at 1080p and get 60 fps and this APU has barely faster cores than Athlon 64 and integrated GPU is Radeon 4550 fast. In fact, if you bought Athlon 64 3400+ and ATi X800 Pro back then, you could have ran it at 1280x1024 with high settings and get almost always 60 fps (except volcano mission, which was very taxing). If you wanted to, Athlon 64 3200+ and nVidia FX 5200 128MB 64bit could run the game at 800x600 low settings high textures at 30 fps. People were just freaking out because it didn't run well on Pentium 3. But other than high CPU requirements, it wasn't hard to run. FX5200 is an equivalent of Geforce 2 GTS, which was back then already really old. And it was also fine if memory ran in single channel mode (like on socket 754).

I remember Stalker and Far Cry 2 being very hard to run back then. That was 2006, maybe 2007. Oblivion wasn't out yet, neither Crysis (now this one had rally awful development).