• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you playing?

System Name EA-ZEN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D with -50mW UV
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Memory 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080 Ti Strix highly OC’ed
Storage 1 TB NVME, 500 GB SSD etc
Display(s) 2x 27”, main: curved 144Hz SVA with BLS and HDR
Case Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Z906 5.1 and Audeze Headphones, Shure SM7B mic
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Keyboard Mechanical Cherry Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
GTA Online, a bit League and probably MechWarrior 5 soon, I also tried out the many changes they did to CP2077, but I’m 100% finished with the game, so it’s just running around and doing cop missions, the graphics are amazing though.

System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Cooling Xigmatech Tower Cooler
Memory 16 GB G-Skill 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080ti 11GB
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Display(s) Acer 27" 1440P
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element DAC/AMP
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650 watt
Mouse MX 518
Keyboard Cherry 3000 with Blues
Getting back into F.E.A.R. some more...

Attachments

• Fear.jpg
    Fear.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 59

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Got Red Dead Redemption 2. Played very little, but it seems very promising, but there is one catch: You can't manually save during "missions" and if you quit once a "mission" is started you start the game ... at some other place. This is a bit annoying, plus that I've so far started two missions just by greeting someone and I didn't even know that triggered a mission (and it was triggered by me just entering a building). When I started the first one I realized it was getting late so I just quit the game and just assumed that the game would have autosaved or something, but now when I started the game I started leaning against a barn (or horsey-house as it was called back then). I walked up to a dude and greeted him and bam, another mission initiated without me knowing. And I can't save manually. I kind of like it, because it feels like fighting the elements. Stuff just happens, deal with it. A guy wants meat, do it. It's not a choice. I have to do it and what I want is not part of the equation. I like it, but it's also pretty annoying. Like life.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Got Red Dead Redemption 2. Played very little, but it seems very promising, but there is one catch: You can't manually save during "missions" and if you quit once a "mission" is started you start the game ... at some other place. This is a bit annoying, plus that I've so far started two missions just by greeting someone and I didn't even know that triggered a mission (and it was triggered by me just entering a building). When I started the first one I realized it was getting late so I just quit the game and just assumed that the game would have autosaved or something, but now when I started the game I started leaning against a barn (or horsey-house as it was called back then). I walked up to a dude and greeted him and bam, another mission initiated without me knowing. And I can't save manually. I kind of like it, because it feels like fighting the elements. Stuff just happens, deal with it. A guy wants meat, do it. It's not a choice. I have to do it and what I want is not part of the equation. I like it, but it's also pretty annoying. Like life.
R*'s mission design is give and take for me, I have to be in a bit of a patient mood to play that game between the mission structure, immersion elements, and controls. Sometimes I can appreciate falling into missions like that, but sometimes the way they do it just feels dated to me. That whole game kinda feels like the story parts and the open world parts are competing for my attention. Something between the two doesn't always jive for me and it's a little different from the usual ludonarrative dissonance.

I'll say two things for it... one, it is a beautiful game, not just in a technical sense but in visual design and immersive components. Two, the story is second to none as far as video game stories go.

I would encourage you to get into that whole meandering into stuff with people. But pay close attention to what the main characters are telling you about what's going on with the crew as you progress with their quests, and what's happening with the missions you do with crew members. There are little things that come up walking around camp and just interacting/listening in. It's possible to advance past camp missions that give a bunch more to that side of the experience as well as net generally helpful rewards. Some of them are static side-activities that you can do any time, but there are quests it gives semi-randomly involving certain characters that are not 'random' in quality. Worth doing in every regard. I think it's fair to let you know that you don't keep the same camp, and whenever it moves, missions available from different change, just as location and circumstance for them does. Some of it even depends on past quests/interactions with them. It's a good idea to explore and uncover side quests in a region before progressing too far with main missions for that reason, too. They may not go away, but the quest structure is such that encounters in early regions sometimes set off quests in later ones (IIRC.)

Elden Ring is a great game, but also occasionally a profoundly annoying game. Like, it is annoying in ways that I feel like past DS entries were not. It can be a bit like death by 1000 needles. All Fromsoft games are (in a sense) but I really think Elden Ring takes the cake for annoying clunk and balancing. I've been playing a lot of it over this week off and I can safely say as someone with 1.5 playthroughs and DS 1-3 + Bloodborne down that it does take some steps backwards from those games in different areas. I really don't care what anyone says. I feel like the veterans understand the issues, maybe better than I do.

It's less about things that make it difficult and more about things in the level and enemy design that make it needlessly tedious at points. Like, you can still master it, and it still feels tedious. The big gripe for me in feel is the combination of random input drops and long input buffer. I just think it's a little too long. I've had times where I pressed roll once, but got struck on release (so the animation cancelled,) and THAT got buffered. So after my character flies, flops on the ground, and slowly gets up, they instantly roll. Got me killed once or twice and I was just like "uhh... what happened? :laugh:" I can accept getting rocked for rolling late, but having the roll still go after all of that happens feels like a double-punishment. I think I could deal with it if roll fired on press instead of release - I probably wouldn't miss in that scenario or find myself ever mashing it to compensate for that little release-delay. By default it HAS to be release because press/hold on that same button is for sprinting. The release is the only way to differentiate the input. But what if I used Steam to decouple them? Put sprint on left stick and let crouch be a damned orphan. B can be dedicated to roll and just fire on press. Sometimes I swear, with the attacks and the experience of the lag in my head, I will mash not out of panic, but a sense of compensating. If rolling was a little more responsive, I figure I might not. It's something I think I've ultimately just gotta retrain on. But also something I think Fromsoft can and has handled better.

I mean, that aside, enemies and bosses alike have these mixes of longer wind-ups and spaz-speed combos - wayy more than any game before this one... when you also drag out the input buffer it just makes things feel kind of unresponsive to me. I understand not being able to cancel animations... that's a 'duh' for sure. But sometimes I am intentionally mashing just because I know I buffered a move I need to cancel by overloading the buffer before my current animation finishes, because something has changed. And I'll get that done without interference. But it doesn't feel good. Less of a problem if you really take your time and with skill it isn't ending your runs, but again... more of a feel issue for me. It's really only when you DO focus on everything happening on screen that you begin to notice that your character can have a bit of a mind of their own. Your inputs could literally be a half-second behind what's happening on screen if you manage to get yourself stuck in the buffer, in which case you have a better chance of surviving the mess you are in by allowing a neutral frame to pop and taking THAT little penalty to regain full control over what your character is actually doing. Cause if you manage to get hit while buffer-locked like that, you might just do whatever comes next after and wind up in a great spot to get hit a second time.

I'm betting a lot of people just don't notice it, outside of those "Why did my character do that there?" moments where an attack with a long wind up went when they didn't expect it to or something. But if you do, it's annoying as crap at the worst of times. Most situations are wibbley-woobly enough that the timing difference isn't a factor in your success. It depends on your playstyle. For me, I'm powerstancing and two-handing, meaning I can barely even guard-counter, so I rely on being quick with attacks and evasions to punish enemy attacks. Say I roll and queue an attack. Somewhere in my mind, I now need to track that, because if I queue another move after the attack, I enter a sequence where nothing I'm doing tracks with button presses and actual timing precision is compromised enough to cost me a vital window, not to mention feel really odd. It's situational, too. So across a battle you can be in and out of this without noticing, but it is still messing with your timing. If you respond to your eyes, you're mistiming things by at least a little more than you think. And like I said, often you can get away with that and might not notice that what you're seeing is 'late' because all of your animations have wind-ups that hide it a bit. It just makes things slippery in a bad-touch kind of way if you tune into the animations too much.

What's more puzzling is that among the many inputs with a decent half-to-full-second buffer, your weapon switching isn't among them. You can only begin to switch weapons on idle frames, which sucks and will get you killed at silly times. I can use the buffer to set up any attack I want after rolling... if you press say, R2 during a roll, the attack will fire off at the first neutral frame after the roll - you kinda rely on that to get moves off in otherwise impossible timing windows and I use it heavily to perform incisive, high-damage rolling powerstance moves. But for some reason, changing weapons doesn't work that way. And it fucks with you too... you get the little click letting you know it registered the press, whether it actually switches or not. Mid-action, it cancels instead of queuing in the way that any attack, jump, heal, cast, or roll would. I'm noticing a lot of weird stuff like that, and I think some of it is deliberate. And I still don't like it lol

I started getting burnt out, though. Some of that's on me. So I've switched to a tighter, smaller, simpler, but still combat-oriented game for tonight: Control. I just know I'm in good hands with that game, the combat is fun too. It's a lot more button mashey, and coming from Elden Ring, I feel like the best Control player ever. I don't think I've ever been nearly this efficient or dynamic with the combat lol. It's like dropping 40lbs of training weight with how responsive everything is compared to Elden Ring. :laugh:

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Well I am enjoying Witcher 3 so much (Level 20 now) I bought both DLC's in the Steam summer sale and got Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition for £2.24 from steam also ....... guess I am going to be busy for a while :D

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Well I am enjoying Witcher 3 so much (Level 20 now) I bought both DLC's in the Steam summer sale and got Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition for £2.24 from steam also ....... guess I am going to be busy for a while :D
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. DLC's are great.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Just fought the big battle against the Wild Hunt at Kaer Morhen, it may just be me but some of it felt a little too staged, I closed gates when I had to, destroyed the portals and killed Battalions of them, really enjoyed it but it kind of felt that whatever I did the end of the battle would have turned out the same, I appreciate if that is the case why in terms of storyline, maybe I just had aspirations of wiping them all out once and for all.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX
Cooling Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 with Arctic Bionix P120 ARGB Fan
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe, Kingston KC2500 2TB NVMe, Western Digital Blue 500GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow, White, with Arctic Bionix P120 ARGB Fan x 5
Audio Device(s) On board ALC1200 to Yamaha TSS-10 5.1 channel Amplifier
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed with SteelSeries QcK Prism Cloth Mouse Pad
Keyboard Logitech G815 LIGHTSYNC (Tactile)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Superposition: 4277 Heaven: 2628 3DMark Time Spy: 11776 3DMark Fire Strike: 30281
Processor Intel® Core™ i9-12900K
Motherboard Z690 GAMING X DDR4
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror
Memory 32GB Team Group T-Create Xpert @3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC
Storage TEAM_TM8FP6512G_V1.6.C1/KINGSTON_SA400S361K1/T-FORCE_512GB
Display(s) ASUS VG279Q 144Hz
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) S.M.S.L. Sanskrit MKII V2 DAC + Mackie CR3
Power Supply ROG-STRIX-1000G
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Sentey Ghost Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro for Workstations 23H2
Some Division 2

*If some of you guys still play the division you can add me: Arroz_con_Pollo

Tom Clancy's The Division® 22022-5-29-17-56-14.jpg

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
Control is a blast, man. I actually run it at 540p DLSS'd up to 1080p to turn on all of the RT. It involves some visual concessions, but you spend so much time moving and with some reshade lumasharpen it doesn't look that far off from 720p DLSS starting res. It's great to have a game with so much fast action consistently running over 100fps. My eyes also appreciate that coming from the somewhat grindy 60fps locked Elden Ring. Buttery smooth, like a dream as I'm floatin' n' zippin' n' flingin'.

Last night, I got all the way up through ashtray maze in one go in Control. I have never ever played it more efficiently - the difference kind of shocked me. I just felt so free, and in... Control :laugh:

Earlier today, I picked it back up and beat the main story. I'll go back for the DLC next time I want a cool down. Got to sipping some coffee and got the itch for Elden Ring, I had worked out kind of a progress map of the remaining Liurnia areas to cover in my head before bed the night before. I found myself kind of regretting going so far into Control that night, even though I had an impeccable flow with it. I just found myself wanting to play suuuper late at night. But coming in fresh, it was a productive day. I had to break it off around late afternoon - had plans with a couple of friends. Came home this evening and cleared the trickiest stuff. And all that's really left to do now are the castle and the academy.

The Uchigatanas continue to rule with dual-weilding. I'm getting up there in upgrades... about to hit level 5 smithing stones on both. So investments in dex yeild nice boosts. I also have my physic mixed for str and dex boost. That mix takes my 15 str and 37 dex (boosted +3 with the scarseal talisman) and turns it into 25 str and a whopping 47 dex. I can two-hand for absolute jump attack damage and stagger on big stuff, big boosts. Or, I can use it to two-hand the 18 str, +4 Bloodhound's Fang at full power. That ends up at 375 damage. The powerstance uchi jump attack is not to be trifled with, either. The stronger Uchigatana sits at 310 with the physic boost. I also carry a Morningstar with Gravitas... and you might wonder why. Strike weapons are among the few that don't bounce off of those miners and guards in the smithing stone caves. They're weak to strike attacks, and gravity is pretty effective, too. Gravitas just helps when you're getting overwhelmed in the tight corners. It's super-satisfying to chonk them with a rigid, spiked mace, too lmao.

I think I wanna lean towards wielding the Moonveil though. Start building up int and see where that goes. I picked it up from that Gael on the northwestern outskirts of Caelid what feels like ages ago.

Also, I am hoarding my golden runes... I have over 200 total of the level 1 golden runes... over 40k runes tucked away in there lol. I keep crushin them skulls and tucking those things away. I use the bigger ones from the graveyards to bump to a level-up before a big challenge, buy things opportunistically, or upgrade stuff. I bet I'll be level 70 by the time I finish the academy, even not using those!

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Control is a blast, man. I actually run it at 540p DLSS'd up to 1080p to turn on all of the RT. It involves some visual concessions, but you spend so much time moving and with some reshade lumasharpen it doesn't look that far off from 720p DLSS starting res. It's great to have a game with so much fast action consistently running over 100fps. My eyes also appreciate that coming from the somewhat grindy 60fps locked Elden Ring. Buttery smooth, like a dream as I'm floatin' n' zippin' n' flingin'.

Last night, I got all the way up through ashtray maze in one go in Control. I have never ever played it more efficiently - the difference kind of shocked me. I just felt so free, and in... Control :laugh:

Earlier today, I picked it back up and beat the main story. I'll go back for the DLC next time I want a cool down. Got to sipping some coffee and got the itch for Elden Ring, I had worked out kind of a progress map of the remaining Liurnia areas to cover in my head before bed the night before. I found myself kind of regretting going so far into Control that night, even though I had an impeccable flow with it. I just found myself wanting to play suuuper late at night. But coming in fresh, it was a productive day. I had to break it off around late afternoon - had plans with a couple of friends. Came home this evening and cleared the trickiest stuff. And all that's really left to do now are the castle and the academy.

I want to like and play Control, and I do sort of like it, but the disconnect between what the game actually is and what it's presented as and wants to be is jarring. It's designed as a big open world game, but it isn't a big open world game. Had it been designed more like something like Prey it would have been great, but now I mostly find it annoying.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
I want to like and play Control, and I do sort of like it, but the disconnect between what the game actually is and what it's presented as and wants to be is jarring. It's designed as a big open world game, but it isn't a big open world game. Had it been designed more like something like Prey it would have been great, but now I mostly find it annoying.
Sucks that 1080 Ti doesn't have enough horsepower to use the limited RT on Control, on most games I don't find that neccessary but in Control, it actually does look good.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
RDR2 and man it's really annoying when you respawn in a random place. It's more than annoying. It sucks.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
RDR2 and man it's really annoying when you respawn in a random place. It's more than annoying. It sucks.
I'll probably finally start RDR1 soon as I finally got glasses, haven't played much of my PS3 library as it was hella annoying to play sitting 1m to the TV.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'll probably finally start RDR1 soon as I finally got glasses, haven't played much of my PS3 library as it was hella annoying to play sitting 1m to the TV.

Want to play it, but lack a PS3 and a TV.

Anyway, for the first time I can ride the horse freely.

The controls absolutely suck.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Want to play it, but lack a PS3 and a TV.

Anyway, for the first time I can ride the horse freely.

The controls absolutely suck.

Just had the disc once in my PS3 to install the updates so I don't need to do that when I actually play it. :)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
So yeah the controls are just off-putting in general. It feels like I'm playing an endless series of minigames.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
So yeah the controls are just off-putting in general. It feels like I'm playing an endless series of minigames.
I'll report are they fine or frustrating. At least I played some GTA IV yesterday on my HTPC with a controller and it played fine, so I hope that RDR1 plays somewhat similarly.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Huh, I never really got that sense of it. It always felt a lot more like a metroidvania type of deal to me, ie: semi-convoluted/circuitous levels chaining together to make bigger hub levels, backtracking with new paths, etc. I gotta admit, I enjoyed that about the world design. There were good tie-ins with the building shifting and this whole concept that reality is basically down to resonance. You get it in your head that there's always more to The Oldest House than you see.

It is the story of The Oldest House, and I think they try to make every part of the house you see count, it has its own personality that grows alongside the departments and helps make them what they are. There's lore in the game to support that the house, largely controlled by the Board, adapts itself to the actions of The Bureau. Darling lets slip in one of his presentations that as the FBC became more secretive, they were surprised to find the house moving in step with them. He nervously stops short of suggesting that wasn't a coincidence. Under Trench, things became much more secretive and so the House itself tries to be secretive and hide things, though The Board doesn't truly comprehend the minds of humans, so the way the house ultimately hides and guards things doesn't always make sense/play out well for the humans. So there's a lot of confusing, seemingly irrational obfuscation all over the place. That is a reflection of Trench's pathos... his very being echoes through the halls and atriums.

I think the lockdowns are a good example. It's implied that nobody knows how the lockdowns really work, or how to change them. They're confusing and inconvenient... as in, there's no way for the humans to really control it - if they could, their mechanisms would not escape even Darling. THAT'S another theme you get from the house itself... you wonder who is really in control of it, if maybe some lovecraftian outer gods are only creating illusions of human control and will, using human beings for their serendipitous minds, capable of inducing synchronicity as a 100% real force in the universe, of generating mental concepts that the house can respond to and in turn move to link disparate realities - something the other, more non-euclidean beings seem unable to do on their own. It could be that they are trying to get humans to dream them into the corporeal realm. The hiss themselves say that 'you' wanted to let them in. Maybe in the house, your will is confined. You only go where it wants you to go, see what it wants you to see, because all of that is an incomprehensible, semi-sentient life force's interpretation of human mental models. But maybe the house, or something controlling it, is asking you for help. Maybe what it wants to show you is based off of what you yourself want.

However, there are many hands in the pot... essentially celestial gods vying for absolute dominion over Yggdrasil. So much of the house must be blocked away to prevent the spread. We see how the mix of hiss and the untapped power of the human psyche present such corrosive danger that it simply must hide as much of itself and its truths from humans as possible. When you arrive, the house is almost completely taken already, with only a very tiny portion being accessible. And I think if the minds in the building knew more about it and their very own Bureau, it would have accelerated the hiss takeover, since the hiss uses their minds to move through and dominate the house, even as it attempts to restric the reach of their resonance.

I do think is fair to say is that The Oldest House ITSELF is trying to contain the hiss with its shifting, with the help of The Board and Ahti. It is a natural for The Oldest House to want to conceal itself. In fact, it can only be found by those who know of it and look for it. Only those it wants to find it, ever do. And once inside, you go where it directs you and see what it wants to show you. And through all of that, you glean the story of The Oldest House. And over the course of learning, your knowledge re shapes the house.

I think that ordinarily, the house might indeed have been more spacious and logical. There are entire wings that have been abandoned. I found that as I was playing, I got almost irrationally curious about what might be on the other side of different walls. You see the firebreaks with all of these massive doors conjoined by bridges spanning apparently endless and utterly abyssal black-rock-clad canyons. I like that kind of thing for conveyance. I don't need to go to the places all of those doors and hallways connect to. I think it's better that it's not this big "One day I'll go to the place in the background..." type of open-world game. The whole thing, the world itself, has a story to tell, and sometimes I think what's there is even a little superfluous... just padding for more combat and exploration. I prefer the side of it that SEEMS much bigger, like what you see is just a tiny sliver of the physical reality of the house.

The modules are basically big enough to convey what they need to for the story and house a few interesting levels each. I don't think it would have worked as a full-scale open world, though you could argue that metroidvania is a dated way of getting around size limitations.

I agree though, Prey style would have suited it well, too. Dark Souls esque interconnected world. I think that's sort of what they were going for, though they didn't quite get there. I think it handles its story better than Prey though, and chooses a narrative structure that better suits that world design.