• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What bluetooth card should I get?

mqdfco

I need bluetooth for my system and don't know the difference between cards. What's the difference between a low end and high end bluetooth card? I'm only looking for bluetooth as my pc already has a lan cable. So then should I get a bluetooth dongle? But I've heard those have higher latency. I want to use my bluetooth headset for gaming, I noticed no latency on my old system that had a pcie bluetooth card, but I can't transfer that card.

But most of all I'm going to be using this headset for music listening, so I want good audio. Would different bluetooth cards have any affect on that? So what's a good option for me that's under $40AUD for low latency good quality bluetooth? And are there any extra things I should know? Thank you

Processor Intel i7 4770k
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Cooling BeQuiet! Shadow Rock 3
Memory Patriot Viper 3 RedD 16 GB @ 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB
Storage 1x SSD Samsung EVO 250 GB 1x HDD Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 1x HDD Seagate Barracuda 4 TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G2U QHD, Dell S2415H FHD
Case Cooler Master HAF XM
Audio Device(s) Magnat LZR 980, Razer BlackShark V2, Altec Lansing 251
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
If you're lisening to music, higher latency wouldn't be a problem, unlike for gaming and movies. A bluetooth 5.0 dongle would be fine for your use. Also it's questionable that they have such a high latency.
I think it's the cheapest variant to try, latency might be alright.

Edit: https://us.creative.com/p/accessories/creative-bluetooth-audio-bt-w2-usb-transceiver
They're advertising low latency with their adapter, but their requirement is that the receiver has aptX-LL audio codec support.

Last edited:
I've used the Asus PCE-AC58BT PCI-E x1 expansion card. It has both wifi and bluetooth on the same card for AU$75, the only disadvantage is that it only has drivers for Windows 10. You could probably check out the cheaper PCE-AC55BT version that doesn't have that issue and is a bit cheaper.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
What headphones do you have to start with? As knowing what codec they support is where you should start.
The version of Bluetooth support isn't as important as the codec. The choices should be SBC, AAC, aptX (there are a few different options here) and LDAC. There are some others, but they're not widely supported and might not be supported by any dongles as of right now.
SBC is the worst quality and it won't matter what dongle you get if that's the only thing that's supported by your headphones. aptX in all its forms is limited to devices with a Qualcomm chip (previously CSR), but alongside LDAC has the best audio quality.
I'd suggest you read up a bit here to understand the differences.

As a side note, something like this might be worth it for you as well.

Last edited:
System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Pluggable makes a decent one and I bought 3 and I added BT to my desktop and one laptop that doesn't have it. it's Broadcom based and can even add bluetooth to wifi only speakers.

It's compatible with my denon heos stuff that doesnt have BT.

it works 2 way as well. keyboards and mice work with it as well. You gotta watch out some are made for audio only and wont work with game controllers or mice/keyboards.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
My experience:
id suggest buying a usb BT 5 dongle (a PCI card wont guarantee you more stability, or less disconnections). just understand there are more factors than spec's, or latency when it comes to audio connected via BT. traffic & congestion are a huge factor, barriers etc, they all play in to make what could be a stable connection, useless. i had to go through 5+ BT adapters, before i found one that remained connected most of the time, but still i get fairly regular disconnections. some random, some while far away, some while inches away. BT & windows 10 has proven to be at best, frustrating for me. I wont even use the wireless in my mouse, since ive noticed lag & stuttering. wires are best, unless they arent an option, in which case, i suffer BT (i chose the word suffer purposely), as it has never been a pain free experience. my point in sharing this, is to share my experiences of what could happen, although i hope it doesnt for you. in my opinion, wireless peripherals are still not there technologically. in my opinion, when you want a good , reliable connection, go wired

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I need bluetooth for my system and don't know the difference between cards. What's the difference between a low end and high end bluetooth card? I'm only looking for bluetooth as my pc already has a lan cable. So then should I get a bluetooth dongle? But I've heard those have higher latency. I want to use my bluetooth headset for gaming, I noticed no latency on my old system that had a pcie bluetooth card, but I can't transfer that card.

But most of all I'm going to be using this headset for music listening, so I want good audio. Would different bluetooth cards have any affect on that? So what's a good option for me that's under $40AUD for low latency good quality bluetooth? And are there any extra things I should know? Thank you

Bluetooth in general is not suitable for gaming. It introduces some to a lot of latency depending on the codec being used. Any gaming headset worth it's salt is going to support wireless over 2.4 / 5 GHz.

Bluetooth for the most part is not suitable for high quality audio either. The only decent audio transport technology for Bluetooth is LDAC and that's only supported on a handful of headsets (like the Audeze Mobius) and even then Windows (for some reason) does not support it (android does though).

You don't really need to spend much on a BT adapter either. Something like this supports all the latest features: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ultimately if you want the best gaming and music listening experience that's going to be wired. You did seem fine with the disadvantage though so I'd just buy the adapter and call it a day.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
My experience:
id suggest buying a usb BT 5 dongle (a PCI card wont guarantee you more stability, or less disconnections). just understand there are more factors than spec's, or latency when it comes to audio connected via BT. traffic & congestion are a huge factor, barriers etc, they all play in to make what could be a stable connection, useless. i had to go through 5+ BT adapters, before i found one that remained connected most of the time, but still i get fairly regular disconnections. some random, some while far away, some while inches away. BT & windows 10 has proven to be at best, frustrating for me. I wont even use the wireless in my mouse, since ive noticed lag & stuttering. wires are best, unless they arent an option, in which case, i suffer BT (i chose the word suffer purposely), as it has never been a pain free experience. my point in sharing this, is to share my experiences of what could happen, although i hope it doesnt for you. in my opinion, wireless peripherals are still not there technologically. in my opinion, when you want a good , reliable connection, go wired
I know first hand how bad win 10 is with BT and it's even hellacious WITH BUILT IN BT!!! constant disconnects and horrible quality. Put linux on that same tablet and it's 100x beter and sounds better too.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K + Lenovo L32p-30
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
For gamepad (Xbox One S) a cheap Chinese one is fine... no problems here.

mqdfco

What headphones do you have to start with? As knowing what codec they support is where you should start.
The version of Bluetooth support isn't as important as the codec. The choices should be SBC, AAC, aptX (there are a few different options here) and LDAC. There are some others, but they're not widely supported and might not be supported by any dongles as of right now.
SBC is the worst quality and it won't matter what dongle you get if that's the only thing that's supported by your headphones. aptX in all its forms is limited to devices with a Qualcomm chip (previously CSR), but alongside LDAC has the best audio quality.
I'd suggest you read up a bit here to understand the differences.

As a side note, something like this might be worth it for you as well.
Thanks for the reply. I have a sony mdr-1000x bluetooth headphones. So the type of bluetooth dongle/card doesn't really affect latency and sound quality?

Bluetooth in general is not suitable for gaming. It introduces some to a lot of latency depending on the codec being used. Any gaming headset worth it's salt is going to support wireless over 2.4 / 5 GHz.

Bluetooth for the most part is not suitable for high quality audio either. The only decent audio transport technology for Bluetooth is LDAC and that's only supported on a handful of headsets (like the Audeze Mobius) and even then Windows (for some reason) does not support it (android does though).

You don't really need to spend much on a BT adapter either. Something like this supports all the latest features: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ultimately if you want the best gaming and music listening experience that's going to be wired. You did seem fine with the disadvantage though so I'd just buy the adapter and call it a day.
I have a sony mdr-1000x bluetooth headphones. Does that support 2.4/5ghz? either way, I've never had noticeable latency or stutters with them on my old pc build. And I've always felt that the audio is good, though that just might be because I've never experience the true potential. So what type of bluetooth adapter I have doesn't really matter as long as it works?

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Thanks for the reply. I have a sony mdr-1000x bluetooth headphones. So the type of bluetooth dongle/card doesn't really affect latency and sound quality?

I have a sony mdr-1000x bluetooth headphones. Does that support 2.4/5ghz? either way, I've never had noticeable latency or stutters with them on my old pc build. And I've always felt that the audio is good, though that just might be because I've never experience the true potential. So what type of bluetooth adapter I have doesn't really matter as long as it works?
So long as the adapter supports the latest standard of bluetooth, you are golden.

Those headphones support a wide variety of BT codecs including LDAC. If you have a newer android phone you can compare for yourself the audio quality between codecs.

They do not support 2.4 / 5 GHz but they are pretty clearly designed at being high quality mobile headphones for use in environments with noise.

The human brain can accommodate for aduio delay much more than visual stutter / delay. In fact humans perceive sounds in a 3D space by the differences in timing and intensity between our two ears. That said, hearing sounds 50ms after everyone else can put you at a significant disadvantage in competitive online games. Your brain can adjust to it but it will hurt your performance regardless. I've got a feeling it isn't that high of a priority for you though given this headset is certainly not targeted at gamers (and to be honest very few "gaming" headsets are good to begin with). Headphones like the Vokyl Erupt that are made by audio focused companies are usually the best choice.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

That means you have support for both aptX and LDAC, so make sure you get a device (dongle or otherwise) that supports either or both of those codecs. Windows doesn't seem to have support for LDAC as yet, so unless you get something like the device I suggested above, you're going to be wanting an aptX compatible dongle. In other words, something with a Qualcomm/CSR chip inside. aptX-LL isn't supported though.

Just an FYI, Bluetooth is 2.4GHz, but I guess what people are trying to tell you is that you want a headset with a proprietary wireless audio solution, as they're often higher quality than Blueooth.

mqdfco

That means you have support for both aptX and LDAC, so make sure you get a device (dongle or otherwise) that supports either or both of those codecs. Windows doesn't seem to have support for LDAC as yet, so unless you get something like the device I suggested above, you're going to be wanting an aptX compatible dongle. In other words, something with a Qualcomm/CSR chip inside. aptX-LL isn't supported though.

Just an FYI, Bluetooth is 2.4GHz, but I guess what people are trying to tell you is that you want a headset with a proprietary wireless audio solution, as they're often higher quality than Blueooth.
Thanks once again. How does this https://www.amazon.com.au/TaoTronic...55411051&rnid=5355409051&s=electronics&sr=1-4 look compared to the one you listed? This one is $10 cheaper and has far more reviews. Except a review said " Note this device only supports aptX (in addition to aptX Low Latency) in transmit mode. It does not support base level aptX in receive mode, only SBC." What does it mean by it won't support in receive mode? Will I still be fine? And would this have worse latency and audio quality than a PCIE bluetooth card?

So long as the adapter supports the latest standard of bluetooth, you are golden.

Those headphones support a wide variety of BT codecs including LDAC. If you have a newer android phone you can compare for yourself the audio quality between codecs.

They do not support 2.4 / 5 GHz but they are pretty clearly designed at being high quality mobile headphones for use in environments with noise.

The human brain can accommodate for aduio delay much more than visual stutter / delay. In fact humans perceive sounds in a 3D space by the differences in timing and intensity between our two ears. That said, hearing sounds 50ms after everyone else can put you at a significant disadvantage in competitive online games. Your brain can adjust to it but it will hurt your performance regardless. I've got a feeling it isn't that high of a priority for you though given this headset is certainly not targeted at gamers (and to be honest very few "gaming" headsets are good to begin with). Headphones like the Vokyl Erupt that are made by audio focused companies are usually the best choice.
Thanks once again. Can you take a look at this https://www.amazon.com.au/TaoTronic...55411051&rnid=5355409051&s=electronics&sr=1-4 and see how good it is and if there's any problems with it?
And how does PCIE bluetooth cards compare to bluetooth dongles in terms of sound quality and latency?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thanks once again. How does this https://www.amazon.com.au/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B01EHSX28M/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+aptx&qid=1613386011&refinements=p_36:5355411051&rnid=5355409051&s=electronics&sr=1-4 look compared to the one you listed? This one is $10 cheaper and has far more reviews. Except a review said " Note this device only supports aptX (in addition to aptX Low Latency) in transmit mode. It does not support base level aptX in receive mode, only SBC." What does it mean by it won't support in receive mode? Will I still be fine? And would this have worse latency and audio quality than a PCIE bluetooth card?

Thanks once again. Can you take a look at this https://www.amazon.com.au/TaoTronic...55411051&rnid=5355409051&s=electronics&sr=1-4 and see how good it is and if there's any problems with it?
And how does PCIE bluetooth cards compare to bluetooth dongles in terms of sound quality and latency?
As it plugs into a 3.5mm, it depends on the quality of the source to a degree. You're only going to use it as a transmitter, I presume, i.e. sending the signal from a device to your headphones, then there's no issue.

The interface isn't an issue for Bluetooth, USB 2.0 is more than fast enough. PCIe tends to mainly be Intel these days, as it's on a WiFi module. The Bluetooth part doesn't connect over PCIe though, but most likely USB, as per the below screenshot.

1613406317230.png

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

The problem with a device like that is it only accepts a 3.5mm input from the device you are hooking it up to. In order to pipe audio though 3.5mm, which is analogue, you first have to convert the digital signal to analog. That's the DAC's job. That device will then have to convert is back to digital so it can send it via bluetooth and then again your Sony headphones will have to convert it back to analog again so that it can output sound.

Typically when you listen to music on your wireless headphones there's only a single conversion to analog and that's when your wireless headphone's DAC converts digital to analog so you can listen. Adding in additional steps is going to get you lower quality audio, especially given that the DAC on the other devices in the chain are not as good as your Sony's. It will also likely add latency as well.

You want a device that's going to take a digital input, not a analog one. A USB or PCIe BT adapter does this.

There is no significant difference between a card and a USB dongle. This isn't like Wifi cards where you have higher cooling and power requirements for high end products. Bluetooth was designed with mobile in mind so there's really not a ton to consider beyond bluetooth version and which type of BT product to buy.

mqdfco

As it plugs into a 3.5mm, it depends on the quality of the source to a degree. You're only going to use it as a transmitter, I presume, i.e. sending the signal from a device to your headphones, then there's no issue.

The interface isn't an issue for Bluetooth, USB 2.0 is more than fast enough. PCIe tends to mainly be Intel these days, as it's on a WiFi module. The Bluetooth part doesn't connect over PCIe though, but most likely USB, as per the below screenshot.

View attachment 188421
Thanks once again. Do you have any other suggestions for a Bluetooth adapter other than the one you listed? Since that one has a estimated deliever of 1 month from now, and I don't want to wait that long.
Is https://www.amazon.com.au/Avantree-Bluetooth-Computer-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B088LNPXNN/ a good option?

The problem with a device like that is it only accepts a 3.5mm input from the device you are hooking it up to. In order to pipe audio though 3.5mm, which is analogue, you first have to convert the digital signal to analog. That's the DAC's job. That device will then have to convert is back to digital so it can send it via bluetooth and then again your Sony headphones will have to convert it back to analog again so that it can output sound.

Typically when you listen to music on your wireless headphones there's only a single conversion to analog and that's when your wireless headphone's DAC converts digital to analog so you can listen. Adding in additional steps is going to get you lower quality audio, especially given that the DAC on the other devices in the chain are not as good as your Sony's. It will also likely add latency as well.

You want a device that's going to take a digital input, not a analog one. A USB or PCIe BT adapter does this.

There is no significant difference between a card and a USB dongle. This isn't like Wifi cards where you have higher cooling and power requirements for high end products. Bluetooth was designed with mobile in mind so there's really not a ton to consider beyond bluetooth version and which type of BT product to buy.
Thanks once again. Is https://www.amazon.com.au/Avantree-Bluetooth-Computer-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B088LNPXNN/ a good option? If not, do you have any other recommendations?

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Thanks once again. Is https://www.amazon.com.au/Avantree-Bluetooth-Computer-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B088LNPXNN/ a good option? If not, do you have any other recommendations?

That appears to be an ok option. If you got to their official website it has a rating of 3.2 stars. If you have a Linux / MacOS System you are going to want the prior linked adapter as it support those OSes.

If you have windows another option:

Techkey: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085LB5Y8...683580d4624f42ed048d0e9eabb8f1&language=en_US

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
It's unavailable

I can purchase it but I'm guessing you are not in the US and that's why it's not showing as purchasable for you. Check your regional Amazon site if it has it. eBay is also a good place to check. I don't know how much shipping would cost but I can purchase it and list it internationally on eBay at cost if you really need it.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thanks once again. Do you have any other suggestions for a Bluetooth adapter other than the one you listed? Since that one has a estimated deliever of 1 month from now, and I don't want to wait that long.
Is https://www.amazon.com.au/Avantree-Bluetooth-Computer-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B088LNPXNN/ a good option?
As long as you're only going to use it for audio, I would go for something that can do aptX and maybe just plugs in to an audio jack.

That said, this might be what you want, as it can be plugged in to a USB port, as well as use a 3.5mm jack. Looks like the picture might not be of the actual product though, based on the reviews. It claims to have aptX-LL support, not that your headset supports it, but hey.
This might be the same product.

Another option, dunno if it's any good.

All you need to do is search for aptX bluetooth transmitter. It really comes down to how much you want to pay and what's available. I haven't used these devices, so it's impossible for met to say what you should buy.

This might be a good purchase, although it seems to be out of stock. Should work fine with just about anything, although the shape is a bit awkward with a PC.

Last edited: