• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What phone you use as your daily driver? And, a discussion of them.

D

Deleted member 24505

Interesting. Didn't realize that. I might have to try this out. Honestly, I don't know that much about Android, I try and stick with computers and my discrete camera as much as possible.

Does anyone here have any experience with the newer OnePlus phones?

Nova is very customisable, icons, fonts, docks, etc etc. there is a immense amount of stuff for it.

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Too bad it's *not the default Launcher

Rooting isn't easy nowadays
I never really understood the argument for custom launchers. All of which I tried were barely beta tested junk. One UI is decent, nice looking and functional UI. Why would you replace it?

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
I never really understood the argument for custom launchers. All of which I tried were barely beta tested junk. One UI is decent, nice looking and functional UI. Why would you replace it?
Like I said in my previous post. Why can't Android make where if you wanted to once you DL the Launcher it'll ask to remove and replace it. *meaning the default one

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Ideally Android would incorporate a Hardware Abstraction Layer, allowing you to install whatever the heck ROM or launcher you wanted on any phone but the overhead would not be worth it.

Anyways, one thing I really love about my Pixel 3 XL is 2-button navigation. I have heard rumors that it is unavailable on newer Pixels, so if anyone can confirm or deny that would be great.

D

Deleted member 24505

One of the pluses of Android is customization. If you want a stock non customisable interface that comes as it is, you need a iphone. Nova is not beta tested junk, have a look how many downloads it has, read some of the reviews on the store, it is far from beta junk.

Ideally Android would incorporate a Hardware Abstraction Layer, allowing you to install whatever the heck ROM or launcher you wanted on any phone but the overhead would not be worth it.

Anyways, one thing I really love about my Pixel 3 XL is 2-button navigation. I have heard rumors that it is unavailable on newer Pixels, so if anyone can confirm or deny that would be great.

All that swipe navigation is available on Nova. You can use a normal dock/button or use swipe. It is highly customisable.

If you change the Launcher, the old one is still there, just not active. You don't need to uninstall the old one really, if there is a problem with whatever launcher you use ( I have never had a problem with Nova ) the old one is there to go back to. If it was uninstalled and the new launcher crashes, you would have to restore your phone to restore the stock launcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run Xiaomi Mi5X 4/64GB purchased back in 2018.
707PLN which back then was ~190$ iirc.
Same hardware as the european market Mi A1 but running Miui instead of clear android.

Rooted and running standard Xiaomi.eu rom.
Sony Xperia Z3 launcher installed instead of the MIUI one.

Positives ?
Cheap replacement parts, works well for a 4 year old phone

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
One of the pluses of Android is customization. If you want a stock non customisable interface that comes as it is, you need a iphone.
Shitty argument.

Nova is not beta tested junk, have a look how many downloads it has, read some of the reviews on the store, it is far from beta junk.
Why not just use One UI? You still going to have rest of the apps looking like Samsung ones and then launcher having completely different style. That's why I called launchers barely tested sub-beta junk. Launchers only work fine with AOSP like ROMs, where you can achieve style continuity and perhaps extend some customizability features. On heavily modified ROMs like One UI or MIUI launchers simply don't blend in well. And stock launchers already come loaded with quite a lot of customization options.

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Plus I tend to get having two Launchers waste battery life regardless it's not in use though I have no use to back it up lol. That's why I'd love to root my phone but it's a hassle plus if I brick it then my fault

I would love to hear about your experience
I won't be bothering. I came to this thread to post my excitement about getting the Pixel, and all I got in response was disappointing remarks.

Too bad it's *not the default Launcher

Rooting isn't easy nowadays
I would also not recommend it. Take it from a cybsec nerd. The only processes in Android that need root access are about 6 system ones. Giving apps root permissions *above* the OS is plain dumb.

D

Deleted member 24505

Shitty argument.

Why not just use One UI? You still going to have rest of the apps looking like Samsung ones and then launcher having completely different style. That's why I called launchers barely tested sub-beta junk. Launchers only work fine with AOSP like ROMs, where you can achieve style continuity and perhaps extend some customizability features. On heavily modified ROMs like One UI or MIUI launchers simply don't blend in well. And stock launchers already come loaded with quite a lot of customization options.

My icons don't look like Samsung ones, i customised them, kinda my point that you missed. If i showed someone my screen without telling them what it is, they would never guess it is samsung at all. Who gives a shit what's happening in the background, you are customising the front end to look how you want it.

You use one ui if you like. i will carry on like the 1 million plus people using Nova quite happily, you can do what you like.

Shitty argument, well said from the same attitude. True though.

currently on a pixel 4a 5g after using the pixel XL, and pixel 3a XL. I was thinking about picking up the pixel 6 when it goes on clearance but frankly the 4a 5g does everything I need it to do
I'm in a similiar situation. Went from a 2 to a 4 and have no reason to upgrade. 6GB of ram, basic interface, and a good camera is really all I need.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
Nova is very customisable, icons, fonts, docks, etc etc. there is a immense amount of stuff for it.
I also use Nova (paid version) on my Note 20 Ultra and it's remarkable what you can do with it. Shrinking icons sizes/grid, locking the home screen so that you don't accidentally move or remove app icons and so much more.
I've had the phone for a couple of years now and would go for a flagship phone again, like the Galaxy S22 Ultra, but at the moment this does everything I need. Besides, $1000 is far too much at the moment.

All that swipe navigation is available on Nova. You can use a normal dock/button or use swipe. It is highly customisable.
I tried swipe too - ugh. Sorry if I sound like a stubborn idiot, but it was one of those features that I felt was way underrated. I actually switched my phone to 3-button so I am used to it when I switch phones.

I won't be bothering. I came to this thread to post my excitement about getting the Pixel, and all I got in response was disappointing remarks.
Dang. Ok, your call.

Attachments

• 1650454124894.png
    1650454124894.png
    452.7 KB · Views: 45

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I don't care, I'm buying it for security. No other phone has better software/hardware security. Read this article I wrote if you're interested, Pixel section towards the end.

Man this forum is fantastic at fucking up my excitement, not sure why I even come here anymore. You're not going to be hearing of my experiences.
I'm not gunna hype it up after the terrible experience i had at the end of life with my 4XL, why would I lie about that to hype you up?
It's a warning so that if you run into trouble you can change phones.

Three dead batteries in 2 years, and when it comes out that its a design flaw they abandon it in Aus and leave me with popups i cant close for a warranty i cant apply for, and a question mark instead of a battery icon. Wow, such recommend.

Security on smart phones is a joke, if you're important enough to need a secure phone you wouldnt be using a smartphone for that task

Security on smart phones is a joke, if you're important enough to need a secure phone you wouldnt be using a smartphone for that task
What am I even reading. Linux on desktop is an absolute joke when it comes to security. Android is good, and Pixel Experience takes it further. Fuck do you want me to get, Samsung's bloated garbage or Apple's proprietary shitfest? You want me to use a dumbphone just because I have the slightest bit of concern about my own security? Please.

Either way the phone's been completely fine and I had none of those purported bugs so thank you again for fucking up my excitement before it arrived, you guys are great at doing that. I think I should leave this forum for good and mind my own business. Tech communities have once again proved to me how they're absolute cesspools. I make a single post exclaiming how happy I am for this phone to arrive, I get some dude telling me it's all buggy or whatever when my experience has been the opposite, accomplishing nothing but bringing down my mood, as if it's not already brought down enough in my miserable fucking life. If it WAS buggy, I could've found that out myself and returned it. No need to say shit. Well, I'm tired of all this. I kept coming back and back here expecting something different but it's all the same. Toodles.

Thank you again for making me miserable about the only thing I've been excited for in several years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

What am I even reading. Linux on desktop is an absolute joke when it comes to security. Android is good, and Pixel Experience takes it further.

Either way the phone's been completely fine and I had none of those purported bugs so thank you again for fucking up my excitement before it arrived, you guys are great at doing that. I think I should leave this forum for good and mind my own business. Tech communities have once again proved to me how they're absolute cesspools. I make a single post exclaiming how happy I am for this phone to arrive, I get some dude telling me it's all buggy or whatever when my experience has been the opposite, accomplishing nothing but bringing down my mood, as if it's not already brought down enough in my miserable fucking life. If it WAS buggy, I could've found that out myself and returned it. No need to say shit. Well, I'm tired of all this. I kept coming back and back here expecting something different but it's all the same. Toodles.

Bye. keep well and safe. :)

I just bought a Samsung S10 Lite 8g/128g version in excellent condition on ebay for £120, I have been using an old S7 with a degraded battery for a few weeks that needs charging twice a day as I broke my last one, was kinda excited to post in here then read the last page of comments lol :ohwell::laugh: regardless it will be like night and day compared to an S7 that barely get's through half a day of use..

I just bought a Samsung S10 Lite 8g/128g version in excellent condition on ebay for £120, I have been using an old S7 with a degraded battery for a few weeks that needs charging twice a day as I broke my last one, was kinda excited to post in here then read the last page of comments lol :ohwell::laugh: regardless it will be like night and day compared to an S7 that barely get's through half a day of use..
No issue with old phones here! I bought mine refurbished and at least 1 gen old...

xu^

System Name Mr_average ( hoping 1 day to upgrade to Mr_above_average )
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700x @3.4ghz/4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AS-500 Plus - White | 6 Lian Li ST120mm case fans - White
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 4x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 - White
Video Card(s) Asus Dual GeForce RTX 4070 12GB OC
Storage 512gb Sabrent Nvme | 4tb Samsung SSD | 2tb WD Blue SSD| 1tb Crucial P3 Nvme| 1tb WD Blue HDD = 8.5tb
Display(s) D1: LG Ultragear GL850-B 27" 1440p 144hz | D2: Asus Tuf - VG249 24" 1080p 144hz
Case Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh RGB - White
Audio Device(s) Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II | Steelseries Arctis 3 Headset - White
Power Supply Corsair TX650M Semi Modular 80+ Gold
Mouse Red Dragon M991 - White
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2
Software Windows 11 Pro
anything that works , got a samsung a42 5g think it is, apart from had it a year and cant b bothered to put a 5g sim card in, dont really care what it is tbh as long as it does what i need it to :D

D

Deleted member 24505

i always buy a few gens old, like my s20 plus 5g, screw paying silly prices for a s22 plus/ultra

i always buy a few gens old, like my s20 plus 5g, screw paying silly prices for a s22 plus/ultra
And yet we all pay silly prices for latest-gen computer hardware, but have our phones with us more than our computers...

I used to always have a contract up until about 6 years ago, usually the latest flagship on a 2 year contract android 40 a month and rinse and repeat, now I'll spend 150 max on a headset and 6-8£ a month on calls and data from giffgaff, it works out roughly 3x less and you can get close to last gen high end in good used condition if you look around, plus kids so i have no choice :laugh:

And yet we all pay silly prices for latest-gen computer hardware, but have our phones with us more than our computers...
I'm rocking a Ryzen 5500 and 5600xt i can't buy the latest and greatest in computers either unfortunately though do squeeze the most performance out of what i do buy

But then you have to live with shorter update cycles, which is bothersome if you don't need/want to update every two generations or so. Samsung now is promising a 4 years of Android updates, but only starting from the S21.

Incidentally the S21 Ultra 5 G (Exynos) is my current daily driver, battery life was especially disappointing and I personally hate the huge camera bump on the side (my phone not being level on the table triggers me at many levels), but on the other hand the photos were the most impressive aspect of the new phone, compared to what I had before (S8+, which stopped receiving updates last year).

D

Deleted member 24505

But then you have to live with shorter update cycles, which is bothersome if you don't need/want to update every two generations or so. Samsung now is promising a 4 years of Android updates, but only starting from the S21.

Incidentally the S21 Ultra 5 G (Exynos) is my current daily driver, battery life was especially disappointing and I personally hate the huge camera bump on the side (my phone not being level on the table triggers me at many levels), but on the other hand the photos were the most impressive aspect of the new phone, compared to what I had before (S8+, which stopped receiving updates last year).

When it is no longer updated officailly, i will do it un officially, so no worries, i can debloat it and remove all the crap at the same time.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Galaxy S7 user since 2016, not using any case or protectors, it's still as new.