• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Where do you think the gaming framerate bottleneck should be?

Should the framerate bottleneck in games be at the CPU or GPU?

• Total voters
System Name 1.21 gigawatts!
Processor Intel Core i7 6700K
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X
Cooling Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim with Arctic MX-4
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3000 MHz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1080 Game Rock
Storage Mushkin Triactor 240GB + Toshiba X300 4TB + Team L3 EVO 480GB
Display(s) Philips 237E7QDSB/00 23" FHD AH-IPS
Case Aerocool Aero-1000 white + 4 Arctic F12 PWM Rev.2 fans
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio Boost 3 with Nahimic Audio Enhancer
Power Supply FSP Hydro G 650W
Mouse Cougar 700M eSports white
Keyboard E-Blue Cobra II
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 948 (stock) / 1044 (4,7 GHz) FarCry 5 1080p Ultra: min 100, avg 116, max 133 FPS
Bottlenecking isn't something that interests me as long as I am able to play at 50+ FPS on high settings. For the example, if my CPU is at 75% while GPU is at 100%, I don't really care as long as there is good in-game performance.

I do care about balanced systems, so huge or significant bottleneck is very unlikely scenario.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
An unbalanced system does not automatically suggest a bottleneck. If the weakest link is still able to deliver the necessary data as the program calls for, then it is not bottlenecking. For example, if the CPU is "just" a fairly quick quad and the GPU is a top-end, state-of-the-art monster, but the user is experiencing no delays or performance degradation, it just means the user paid too much for the graphics solution.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Totally agree with this. The laws of physics (and the speed of light) limits (bottlenecks) electron flow. Thus infinitely fast will never be possible - at least not until quantum superposition becomes an everyday reality.
Not really. If total budget for both CPU and graphics solutions are a factor, then that budget should be stated up front. If no budget, then current technologies and product availability, and/or theory is what matters - especially when the costs of such items are currently within reach of many members of this site. We are talking a couple $1000, not $millions.

It is not superfluous because striving to reach theoretical limits is a very valid goal and necessary exercise to consider. And if the costs are not totally prohibitive, seeing that that goal is within reach can be a real motivator to get there.

That said, I stick with my comment above. "There should be no bottlenecks. The computer should ALWAYS be waiting on the user. ALWAYS!"

Fair enough, but I think you're stretching the definition of bottleneck. The OP asked where the bottleneck SHOULD be. This assumes that there must be a bottleneck somewhere, and the choices were CPU or GPU. As I said before, a theoretical system with no bottlenecks is just that... theoretical.

So assuming that there WILL realistically be a bottleneck somewhere, it's pointless to argue which one is more desirable without the context of cost. As I said, if cost is no issue, then buy the fastest thing possible on both the CPU and the GPU and be done with it. If cost is an issue (and for most of us, it is) then the debate comes down to the actual merits of CPU vs GPU, and the impact a bottleneck on each would be.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I don't understand the point of this poll, or even what on god's green earth it means. It's not down to users to choose where a bottleneck is. That's all predetermined by the components in a machine and what kind of game your playing.

What exactly are people voting for? Are they trying to pray away the bottleneck in their CPU by shouting at their computer and telling it the GPU should be the bottleneck instead?

I need a valid answer because so far I see three pages of people discussing something that literally makes no discernible sense - the kind of threads we lock down. It's basically like saying "how much oxygen do you think your body should breath?"

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't understand the point of this poll, or even what on god's green earth it means. It's not down to users to choose where a bottleneck is. That's all predetermined by the components in a machine and what kind of game your playing.

What exactly are people voting for? Are they trying to pray away the bottleneck in their CPU by shouting at their computer and telling it the GPU should be the bottleneck instead?

I need a valid answer because so far I see three pages of people discussing something that literally makes no discernible sense - the kind of threads we lock down. It's basically like saying "how much oxygen do you think your body should breath?"

I think the thread doesn't make any sense either, to be fair. It was created out of misunderstanding... but it HAS resulted in both technical and philosophical discussion. There is definitely merit to discussing whether and how one should PLAN a bottleneck (i.e, should you spend more money on this piece or that, despite the possible bottleneck). As such, I think it has value. Just my two cents.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Fair enough, but I think you're stretching the definition of bottleneck. The OP asked where the bottleneck SHOULD be. This assumes that there must be a bottleneck somewhere
Well, now you are assuming that assumption is valid. I say there must not be any bottlenecks anywhere.
What exactly are people voting for?
Which is why I said "other" explaining question is wrong.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
My god this topic is really going nowhere at all.

Better off examining the bottleneck of a nice beer IMO

I asked the same question multiple times from the OP. Hes showed up at the site and posted over the past few days, but hasn't bothered to respond to anyone here for days.

Might as well close this debacle since he cant even swing by and clarify...

Processor 2700x under H100i progeebee
Motherboard ASUS x470 prime
Cooling Fans
Memory gskill ripjaw 3200
Video Card(s) MSi Vega 64 ref
Storage 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD - 500Gb Games - 1.5tb Storage and Media
Case CM HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Win 10
I think by "bottleneck" he probably means which component is the lowest denominator of the systems performance.

It's obvious that the GPU should ideally run at 100% load so it can realize its full potential. Therefore the GPU is the determining factor in overall gaming performance and by this terrible definition is the "bottleneck".

Anyone who'd rather see their CPU at 100% while the GPUs' only taxed 60-70% is just silly.... Like this thead.

I voted Other. Here's my explanation. I don't do gaming framerates. Hence I don't do gaming framerate bottlenecks. Plus I despise the term "bottleneck" in general(when applied to computers).

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It's obvious that the GPU should ideally run at 100% load so it can realize its full potential.
No! That's not obvious at all! Should a car engine run at full load so it can realize its full potential? No. A PSU? No. RAM? No. A GPU is just a processor designed for graphics. There should always be some headroom left.

If any processor is running at 100%, that means it is maxed out. That also means it can go no faster and is now a bottleneck for any greater demands that may come along.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
No! That's not obvious at all! Should a car engine run at full load so it can realize its full potential? No. A PSU? No. RAM? No. A GPU is just a processor designed for graphics. There should always be some headroom left.

If any processor is running at 100%, that means it is maxed out. That also means it can go no faster and is now a bottleneck for any greater demands that may come along.

Car analogies always fail, same case here. There is no speed limit in PC gaming and there aren't any pedestrians either, unless you're playing Carmageddon.

He's quite right in the most basic sense of the definition. A component running at max utilization is using its full potential and any component under that is not.

Headroom can be had in different ways, especially for gaming. You can frame cap, but you can also use methods such as Fast Sync which will push max utilization but drops the frames it can't sync with a refresh. The headroom is not visible, but still there, and the GPU is fully utilized, while the performance is of high quality and extremely stable. Prior to Fast Sync it was also quite common to put a frame cap far beyond the monitor refresh rate to have lower input lag.

Either way, this back and forth underlines why this is such a strange topic... once more :laugh:

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, now you are assuming that assumption is valid. I say there must not be any bottlenecks anywhere.

I'm saying that this is the presiding assumption for the discussion at hand, considering the context of the OP. The way he framed the question assumes that there WILL be a bottleneck. So speaking of a system with no bottleneck is irrelevant to the question. It's superfluous (not to mention highly physically unlikely.)

Nemesis 1ism

Totally agree with this. The laws of physics (and the speed of light) limits (bottlenecks) electron flow. Thus infinitely fast will never be possible - at least not until quantum superposition becomes an everyday reality.
Not really. If total budget for both CPU and graphics solutions are a factor, then that budget should be stated up front. If no budget, then current technologies and product availability, and/or theory is what matters - especially when the costs of such items are currently within reach of many members of this site. We are talking a couple $1000, not $millions.

It is not superfluous because striving to reach theoretical limits is a very valid goal and necessary exercise to consider. And if the costs are not totally prohibitive, seeing that that goal is within reach can be a real motivator to get there.

That said, I stick with my comment above. "There should be no bottlenecks. The computer should ALWAYS be waiting on the user. ALWAYS!"
I agree cost of components does have effect on everything. My grands sons are building gaming pcs now the build will be on utube when they finish. I ordered the 960mb Intel Optane so that the entire games they play will load as cashe off of the main drive. Yes I know that's crazy expensive but they are my grandchildren and deserve the best of the best. I am old and not well so the money means nothing to me. THEIR LEARNING MEANS everything to me.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
A 960gb optane drive??? For games? Thinking that is better than nvme for the long run? Wow did you get taken to the cleaners. :(

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Car analogies always fail, same case here. There is no speed limit in PC gaming and there aren't any pedestrians either
No they don't - except to those who unrealistically expect an analogy must be absolute - which of course, they never are. There is no speed limit on the Autobahn and no pedestrians either. And of course, when "gaming" in a car (as in on a suitable race track) there are no speed limits or pedestrians either. Sorry you don't understand that.
I agree cost of components does have effect on everything.
Yes and no. If you are buying components and you have a budget, then the costs matter. If you have deep pockets, then costs may not matter.

If you are doing the R&D and pushing the envelope of theoretical limits, and you depend on limited grants and contributions, then budgets matter. But if your multi-billionaire benefactor has handed you a blank check, costs don't matter.

Since no budget was mentioned in the opening post or the opinion poll, then I say the cost of the components don't matter.

Processor 2700x under H100i progeebee
Motherboard ASUS x470 prime
Cooling Fans
Memory gskill ripjaw 3200
Video Card(s) MSi Vega 64 ref
Storage 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD - 500Gb Games - 1.5tb Storage and Media
Case CM HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Win 10

So are you saying its a trick question? No part of the system should see full usage and therefore no bottleneck should occur unless the use specifies a "limit" ?

OK, lets roll with that.

I say if your opinion is to be upheld for a gaming scenario the only limitation imposed on the system is the monitors refreshrate. Sure any frames in excess of that are moot and are the only tangible limitation to the computer.

OK. I can live with that.

The monitors refrashrate is the only bottleneck that should occur an a perfect scenario for gaming purposes.

/thread

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
A gpu bottlenecked system generally feels smoother to me. When a system starts becoming cpu/memory bottlenecked i tend to notice more hitching and stuttering problems (esp w high refresh rate monitor). When the gpu tends to struggle a little the struggle is a bit more consistent than if ur cpu is pegged and windoze needs something, or if game elements arent loading in time.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
No they don't - except to those who unrealistically expect an analogy must be absolute - which of course, they never are. There is no speed limit on the Autobahn and no pedestrians either. And of course, when "gaming" in a car (as in on a suitable race track) there are no speed limits or pedestrians either. Sorry you don't understand that.

Thank you for letting me know that I can drive faster in games. Care to also respond to the rest, which was obviously what it was all about and also completely ontopic response to your idea about bottlenecks?

:kookoo:

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Motherboard MSi H110-PRO-D
Cooling LC-CC-95 @ Arctic Cooling fan
Memory 2X Crucial DDR4 2400 4GB
Video Card(s) Integrated HD 610
Storage WD 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB + Toshiba 3 TB
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Manhattan Flex BT Headphones, Encore P-801 stereo speakers
Power Supply Corsair CX450M
Mouse microsoft office mouse
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores gorstak @ hwbot.org
I think bottleneck should be human body limitations, at least for gaming segment. Already we have screens that surpass human eye limitations, but for business and goverment segment, that's not a bad thing. I just wish they would stop milking people, and some laws should be voted against doing that. Also, prices should be country specific or at least governed by someone, for both hardware and software.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
my definition of the term bottleneck is an unreasonable restriction that ideally should not be there.. so under my definition there should not be any "bottlenecks"..

having said that my definition dosnt seem to match the current popular one.. :)

trog

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
So are you saying its a trick question?
"Trick"? It was not obscure intentionally. It was just too limited in scope to really be valid. There are just way too many potential bottlenecks that might affect a computer's performance. And yes, monitor refresh rate is one - but not the only one of those.

As I have said repeatedly, "the computer should ALWAYS be waiting on the user. ALWAYS!" - or as Gorstak correctly notes, the "human" limitations should be the only bottlenecks.

Care to also respond to the rest, which was obviously what it was all about and also completely ontopic response to your idea about bottlenecks?
It was not on topic at all. You claimed car analogies "always" fail. They don't. But blanket statements always do (and yes, I recognize the irony in that!). But you failed to see how those car analogies aptly apply, or in this case, when the cars are allowed to go as fast as they can on some specific roads that have no speed limits, or on race tracks.

I'll take it one step further and it actually ties with your 100% GPU point. The maximum speed obtainable depends on MANY more factors than just the engine. They include most notably, the transmission, but also wind and wind resistance, gravity, and more. If the engine is maxed out, you might still be able to go faster IF the transmission has another gear to throw in there. Or you might be able to faster if you can go down hill. Or if the wind flips around and gives you a push.

Regardless - if the transmission has no more gears to throw in and is spinning as fast as it can without flying apart, it becomes the bottleneck. If the engine cannot provide any more RPMs, it becomes the bottleneck. In either case, you aren't going any faster except by eliminating other bottlenecks. But if either the tranny or engine had more headroom, you could (assuming other factors did not bottleneck you!)

Now if the driver is already scared out of his/her wits and backs off the peddle, fine! But if he or she is yelling, "Faster! Faster!", that's a problem.

So to answer the OP's question, "where do I think the bottleneck should be?" The answer is clear, no where. If there must be a bottleneck, it should be with me, not my computer, not my network.

..so under my definition there should not be any "bottlenecks"..
having said that my definition dosnt seem the match the current popular one..
But its the correct one! :)

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
For gaming:

Get the fastest stuff you can afford.

If you have to choose between a high end CPU or a high end GPU, go with the high end GPU and let the CPU be the bottleneck.

At the very high end, and at high framerates, this can create microstuttering and low minimum framerates. So if you're playing shooters that require high framerates, this logic CAN flip, and you might want the GPU to be the bottleneck, resulting in a stable framerate. However, if this is the case, I'd argue that it's better to buy the highest end GPU you can, and limit the framerate to the point that your CPU can handle it, but still keep the CPU at least CLOSE to your GPUs capability. That's exactly what I do with overwatch. I can't get my CPU to feed my GPU 144hz, so I cap the framerate to 120fps and get stable framerates. It's not quite as good as getting my full 144hz, but it's better than buying a high end CPU and having to skimp on the GPU which would result in probably LESS than 120fps.

So... if there must be a bottleneck, let it be at the CPU. But don't pair a 2080Ti with a Q6600 either...

/thread.

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Motherboard MSi H110-PRO-D
Cooling LC-CC-95 @ Arctic Cooling fan
Memory 2X Crucial DDR4 2400 4GB
Video Card(s) Integrated HD 610
Storage WD 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB + Toshiba 3 TB
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Manhattan Flex BT Headphones, Encore P-801 stereo speakers
Power Supply Corsair CX450M
Mouse microsoft office mouse
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores gorstak @ hwbot.org
I'm a noob at this, but shouldn't stutter be reduced if you increase gpu usage? Like with fastsync or by using a higher resolution screen? I mean, if gpu is busy, does that releive cpu of pressure to the point no more stutter?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Storage. I want to take a different approach because NVMe storage is already insanely fast. I’d love for storage to once again be the bottleneck because then cpus and gpus both would be that much faster.

Let’s hope we get to that point again sooner than later