• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why AMD is not better than Intel, an introspective look from an AMD fanboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
DRC Congo. 2/3 women raped since the mineral Coltan became a hot item (used in all PC's, smartphones, cpu procressors, etc etc etc). Warlords and unspeakable horrors. Where 70-80% of the worlds Coltan mineral come from? Congo.

AMD has never announced their source of Coltan. Yet, every Intel page has it listed for many many years now, that it is Congo free... yet we love to hate on Intel for being the greedy capitalist sucking us dry, and ok maybe that is a fair argument... but then again, which do I value more, predictable milking capitalists, or support warlords who commit things my nightmares are not even capable of reproducing all so I can have a smart phone, a wind powered and solar panel lithium based grid system.... all in the name of progress... Intel said no... AMD declined to comment... this is why I still have respect for Intel, even though I have been an AMD fanboy all my life since they let me game on a budget even 18 years ago.

@W1zzard I feel like this was never addressed in our niche community. Just thought I would share, I wrote a paper on it in 2011, and sadly it is still a problem to this day. If you do not want this discussion here, feel free to delete the thread. I just thought it deserved a mention and a lighthearted, hopefully, discussion.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I think Intel will behave better, now that they have competition again. It's a bad thing when you're basically the only game in town.. bad not just for everyone else, but your own company too. If it doesn't get corrupted by monopoly, then it at least might stagnate.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Hate to say it but I don't believe there can be anything light hearted about the subject matter you brought up, esp since things like Warlords, rape and so on were brought up as part of it.

If the topic continues, let's at least keep our heads screwed on straight instead of knee-jerking replies.
Just sayin.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Hate to say it but I don't believe there can be anything light hearted about the subject matter you brought up, esp since things like Warlords, rape and so on were brought up as part of it.

If the topic continues, let's at least keep our heads screwed on straight instead of knee-jerking replies.
Just sayin.

Yeah, I just wasn't sure how to word it. My point is I think this is an important topic since it directly relates to our hobby, whether you are a workstation guy or a gaming guy... :/

I'm just trying to defend Intel a little bit is all, monopolies and such are predictable in their behavior.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I, for one, had no idea. So Im glad to see this here. Something I'll be looking into for sure... ...you dont always think about where the stuff you buy really comes from.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Another reason I like Intel right now is they have a whole package I make use of (Optane memory and drives). It's kind of the same reason I use a Vega, funnily.. because the whole package of Radeon/Freesync. It's also why I don't jump ship from Windows to Mac or Linux.. their whole package is just better to me.

I could also weigh products in isolation (I think most do this instead), and find things just as good or better.. but that's where I'm at for the moment.

The issue you brought up, can you for instance remember the crippling subsidies that nearly drove AMD into bankruptcy? Can you count the number of jobs lost due to Intel's direct & abusive monopolistic behaviour? I will say this ~ there are no saints in the corporate world, in fact there's more blood on the hands of greedy individuals/corporations than some individual countries. Why do I bring this up ~ because if AMD is tacitly/indirectly aiding the "warlords" then they should face the consequences, especially if the situation was avoidable. However I've never liked Intel & I can't condone their practices, no matter what they've seemingly done to make sure they use conflict free resources in their products. The latter cannot excuse their attempt at driving AMD out of business or the thousands of jobs lost, directly or indirectly due to their greed.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
The issue you brought you up, can you for instance remember the crippling subsidies that nearly drove AMD into bankruptcy? Can you count the number of jobs lost due to Intel's direct & abusive monopolistic behaviour? I will say this ~ there are no saints in the corporate world, in fact there's more blood on the hands of greedy individuals/corporations than some individual countries. Why do I bring this up ~ because if AMD is tacitly/indirectly aiding the "warlords" then they should face the consequences, especially if the situation was avoidable. However I've never liked Intel & I can't condone their practices, no matter what they've seemingly done to make sure they use conflict free resources in their products. The latter cannot excuse their attempt at driving AMD out of business or the thousands of jobs lost, directly or indirectly due to their greed.

AMD started as a humble clone manufacturer. It's amazing that they're as successful as they are. The rest are dead. Not sure why it's Intel's fault they're not huge.. even without crappy business practices. Intel is practically a household name, after MS/Apple/IBM/etc. It's difficult to compete just on that alone.

AMD started as a humble clone manufacturer. It's amazing that they're as successful as they are. The rest are dead. Not sure why it's Intel's fault.. even without crappy business practices, they're practically a household name, after MS/Apple/IBM/etc.
Do you think a bleeding company, not talking about AMD in particular, can afford more expensive alternatives? I'm assuming conflict free resources are at least marginally expensive, Intel got into a position where they can afford anything even if only for PR. Not everyone has that option, again not about AMD but we don't know where AMD's sourcing their stuff from.

As someone operating a small business I can unequivocally say that such choices aren't as straightforward as you think, you first have to be in a position where you can "afford" better alternatives. It's easy to say do this or do that ~ but when it's your life & your entire family's lives on the line, most people will choose the easier option.

To answer the bolded ~ it's a number of reasons, including AMD's own incompetence, but Intel's role (past or present) cannot be overstated.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
AMD are not manufacturing their own silicon. Intel can list that they are "Congo-free" or whatever because they have their own foundry and direct control over their supply chain.

This thread has to be a joke.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The issue you brought up, can you for instance remember the crippling subsidies that nearly drove AMD into bankruptcy? Can you count the number of jobs lost due to Intel's direct & abusive monopolistic behaviour? I will say this ~ there are no saints in the corporate world, in fact there's more blood on the hands of greedy individuals/corporations than some individual countries. Why do I bring this up ~ because if AMD is tacitly/indirectly aiding the "warlords" then they should face the consequences, especially if the situation was avoidable. However I've never liked Intel & I can't condone their practices, no matter what they've seemingly done to make sure they use conflict free resources in their products. The latter cannot excuse their attempt at driving AMD out of business or the thousands of jobs lost, directly or indirectly due to their greed.

I understand your argument, and that is part of a healthy discussion on this topic. It does not change the fact this topic exists, and none of us are right in our opinions one way or the other, I simply thought this issue deserved more awareness.

AMD are not manufacturing their own silicon. Intel can list that they are "Congo-free" or whatever because they have their own foundry.

This thread has to be a joke.

That is irrelevant, Intel was proactive in making sure their sources were clean and creating awareness of the issue.

AMD even if they don't have their own foundry, could have forced or used pressure on the foundry they used to get answers, unless AMD believed that cheapest product is best product for consumer no matter what, maybe Intel has to be more expensive because of the way they source minerals from more expensive sources? You don't have the answer and neither do I.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Defaq is this? Who cares? Welcome to real world.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I understand your argument, and that is part of a healthy discussion on this topic. It does not change the fact this topic exists, and none of us are right in our opinions one way or the other, I simply thought this issue deserved more awareness.

That is irrelevant, Intel was proactive in making sure their sources were clean and creating awareness of the issue.

AMD even if they don't have their own foundry, could have forced or used pressure on the foundry they used to get answers, unless AMD believed that cheapest product is best product for consumer no matter what, maybe Intel has to be more expensive because of the way they source minerals from more expensive sources? You don't have the answer and neither do I.
Intel have it share of shady deals for years...

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
AMD even if they don't have their own foundry, could have forced or used pressure on the foundry they used to get answers

I am sorry to burst your bubble but AMD would very much like to stay in business and focus on creating products rather than screw around with morals with regards to what their suppliers are doing.

If you are pissed about this matter aim it at the ones responsible for it : TSMC and Globalfoundries whose customers aren't just AMD but Nvidia, Qualcomm, Apple and God only knows how many dozen others. Or, if we are not to beat around the bush like we always like to, aim your anger at the countries that allows for this to happen.

Your complaint genuinely boggles my mind.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I am sorry to burst your bubble but AMD would very much like to stay in business and focus on creating products rather than screw around with morals with regards to what their suppliers are doing.

If you are pissed about this matter aim it at the ones responsible for it : TSMC and Globalfoundries whose customers aren't just AMD but Nvidia, Qualcomm, Apple and God only knows how many dozen others. Or, if we are not to beat around the bush like we always like to, aim your anger at the countries that allows for this to happen.

He should complain about foxconn too.

If anything thread should be locked.

/thread

Space Lynx

Astronaut

I don't buy products from any of those companies. We live in a globalist market... you vote with your wallet... and I buy Intel because of my research on the issue... sorry for being educated... enjoy your progress at the sake of anything...

Intel have it share of shady deals for years...

I'm not sure the displacement of millions of people qualifies as comparison...

I should have known better than to try have any positive discourse on this toxic website, enjoy your cheap products. peace, I'm out

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
We live in a globalist market... you vote with your wallet... and I buy Intel because of my research on the issue... sorry for being educated... enjoy your progress at the sake of anything...

No, you buy Intel for the same reason you made this mind-numbing post and you are not fooling anyone. Take your fanboyism and trolling somewhere else and spare this forum that has already seen enough of this nonsense.

I should have known better than to try have any positive discourse on this toxic website

You don't get to claim that when you tried to link serious stuff like human exploitation to dumb ass issues like fanboyism. You don't care about any of these issues, don't fool yourself.

Last edited:
I don't buy products from any of those companies. We live in a globalist market... you vote with your wallet... and I buy Intel because of my research on the issue... sorry for being educated... enjoy your progress at the sake of anything...

I'm not sure the displacement of millions of people qualifies as comparison...

I should have known better than to try have any positive discourse on this toxic website, enjoy your cheap products. peace, I'm out
For what it's worth I do believe that the thread has sound advice for AMD but I don't see it just as a choice between black & white, there's a tonne of grey shades in between. If AMD can avoid these resources, they absolutely should ~ I'd be happy to pay 5~15% more to get that certification. But can AMD afford to do that, I'm sure no one here has an answer to this!

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. Likewise ~ choice is a luxury the poor (or weak) cannot possibly afford.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
For what it's worth I do believe that the thread has sound advice for AMD but I don't see it just as a choice between black & white, there's a tonne of grey shades in between. If AMD can avoid these resources, they absolutely should ~ I'd be happy to pay 5~15% more to get that certification. But can AMD afford to do that, I'm sure no one here has an answer to this!

You make a great point. If its just a part of survival, then I mean yeah that is the way of the world and I totally understand that, a company like Apple though (not to go to far off topic of CPU's only for our niche demographic) can easily afford to be proactive like Intel and at least put pressure to make changes, but they just don't seem to care. That's all I was trying to give Intel credit for, was bringing this to attention through media outpouring (like the neat event with Linustechtips in the video from the first post).

Anyways that was the kind of comment I was hoping to read, thank you. Regardless, we should probably let the topic die now, it was a neat thought was all. Take care everyone.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I hate to bring China (well not really) into this but here they are!
China is Asia’s largest coltan producer and the world’s largest coltan refiner, with at least a third of the world’s coltan being processed there. Many countries export their raw coltan to China for further processing. The UN reports that many tons of coltan from the DRC are processed through China and are often mixed with samples from conflict-free regions to produce tainted coltan that is more difficult to source. This practice undermines the efforts made by countries with legislation restricting conflict materials, such as the United States and Canada. As Western markets have been reducing their demand for conflict coltan, the Chinese market has embraced it with open arms as Chinese firms have begun to carve footholds in the global minerals industry. As a result, the Chinese coltan refining industry has contributed to the perpetuation of human rights violations and environmental destruction in many of the world’s developing regions.

Ensuring clean coltan
It is difficult for manufacturers to ensure that the coltan they use in their products is not from a conflict zone or otherwise unethically produced. Currently there is one process for verifying the origin of a coltan sample. This process, developed in Germany, involves creating an elemental ‘fingerprint’ via WD X-ray fluorescence analysis and X-ray diffraction analysis to determine the composition and amounts of trace elements present in the sample. These results are then compared to the results of samples of known provenance, much like the Kimberly process for diamonds. This technique works for samples of mixed sources as well as pure coltan; however, it requires having sample fingerprints for all original coltan sources on file. Using this technique, it is possible to identify the source of most coltan samples; as of 2010, almost 75% of the world’s coltan mines have samples on file.[41] However, the process is expensive and lengthy and while it has worked in Rwanda, adapting these fingerprinting techniques to the DRC mining industry and convincing countries such as China to adopt these methods has been difficult. Both the United States and Canada have passed legislation that provides incentives for using certified coltan and making conflict materials extralegal, but because most coltan is processed in China and China does not use the certification processes, avoiding conflict coltan has been very difficult.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltan_mining_and_ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.