• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why do we think light travels the same as sound? Some questions for astrophysics folks out there

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I been thinking a lot about this lately, if sound requires a medium to travel upon, such as air, then light would need a medium too yes and in deep space the only medium is dark matter/dark energy I think, so deep space is not nothing, there is a medium, but that medium is not consistent? I believe the earliest physicists called this the Aether or something since they didn't know about dark matter and energy yet, not so much interested in that as I am the idea that light might not travel at all. I'm aware it takes time for light to reach us from far away, I am aware this is measurable phenomena, but what if the reason it takes time to get to us isn't because of distance and time? Is it possible there is another mechanism at play that slows light down, maybe micro-bends in gravity that we can't measure, besides sheer distance? I think the bending nature of gravity at the Cosmic scale still has more to teach us about how things travel, in this case light... what if the material substance (even though we can't see it) that gravity is bending well it all has to be connected at some sort of cosmic scale, all bending the same field of substance regardless of location within the visible Cosmos -localized bending of gravity in relation to size seems obvious and clear and has been calculated, but gravity itself as a medium - since if we were to say

Gravity inherently is bending something, not nothing... that nothing is everywhere in the Cosmos even if we can't measure it, it is therefore the medium light travels upon no? this would be a consistent medium for light to travel upon, the fabric that gravity bends, even if you removed dark energy from places, dark matter, and so forth. light travels still without dark matter or dark energy present, therefore, don't we have to conclude there is another medium of travel? it has to be the fabric that gravity bends, which is present everywhere, and I don't necessarily believe that gravity is bound by the rules of distance and time

@lexluthermiester have I lost my mind? :roll:

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Observable light is delivered to our eyes in packets of photons. It is part of a wavelength.

Sound requires physical particles as hearing is based on the vibration of anatomical structures.

The above is very crude but it explains why light and sound travel differently. Light requires no physical medium, sound propagates through a physical medium.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Observable light is delivered to our eyes in packets of photons. It is part of a wavelength.

Sound requires physical particles as hearing is based on the vibration of anatomical structures.

The above is very crude but it explains why light and sound travel differently. Light requires no physical medium, sound propagates through a physical medium.

a wavelength, this concept is hard for me to understand, but it does make sense. surely even wavelengths have a physical substance, just at a level we can't measure? how is something not nothing? agh i guess i just am not smart enough to understand these things, but ty for trying lol

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
It doesn’t. They both travel at different speeds through different mediums.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It doesn’t. They both travel at different speeds through different mediums.

I still don't understand what the medium is for light though, as there is nothing consistent in the Cosmos other than the fabric that gravity bends.

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
I live in Germany. We use only the metric system,
In easy figures both begin with 300. Both differences only by three simple ("0") digits.

Sonic: 300m/sec
light 300.000m/sec.

It is easy to calculate how far a lightning is away. One sees the light and start to count the seconds till it bangs. Multibly it by 300 and voila. There is the distance in meters. ;)

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I still don't understand what the medium is for light though, as there is nothing consistent in the Cosmos other than the fabric that gravity bends.
I like to think of the fabric of the universe as a fine gnocchi soup. When light is absorbed by it the flavor increases and the light reflected shows you a nice view. Then when you microwave it the dumplings get really nice and hot. As you place your spoon into the soup you think its going rather slowly at fractions of centimeters per second but in reality it is going many thousands of kilometers per second since the earth is moving too. Thankfully it doesn't splash out and get all over the table and some thank god for that. I know that's a bit deep but hopefully clears things up a bit.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I like to think of the fabric of the universe as a fine gnocchi soup. When light is absorbed by it the flavor increases and the light reflected shows you a nice view. Then when you microwave it the dumplings get really nice and hot. As you place your spoon into the soup you think its going rather slowly at fractions of centimeters per second but in reality it is going many thousands of kilometers per second since the earth is moving too. Thankfully it doesn't splash out and get all over the table and some thank god for that. I know that's a bit deep but hopefully clears things up a bit.

This was surprisingly helpful, lol

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Uhhh... Who thinks EM waves travel like (linear) sound waves?

One cursory 'lookup' of why/how Silver, Gold, etc. lustre as they do, tells ya 'light'
"ain't so simple"
(See also: double slit experiment. And Entangled Photons)

The way I figure,
EM waves are energy-vibrations that represent data/information in physical reality.

Factor in 'informational radiation' (mathematically theorized as emanating from Black Holes)
and you start to feel like you're looking at
"The other side of E=MC^2"

Processor R5 5600
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling SPC Fortis 3
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000 2x8
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio RTX 3070
Storage Lexar Pro NM760 1 TB, Corsair MP510 960 GB
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Power Supply EVGA G2 750W
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard SPC Gear GK550 Omnis Kailh Brown RGB
The medium is electromagnetic field, which is everywhere. I don't think there's a deeper understanding currently, we consider it a property of spacetime, it's just there.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Uhhh... Who thinks EM waves travel like (linear) sound waves?

One cursory 'lookup' of why/how Silver, Gold, etc. lustre as they do, tells ya 'light'
"ain't so simple"
(See also: double slit experiment. And Entangled Photons)

The way I figure,
EM waves are energy-vibrations that represent data/information in physical reality.

Factor in 'informational radiation' (mathematically theorized as emanating from Black Holes)
and you start to feel like you're looking at
"The other side of E=MC^2"

do photons not have mass? because if they do that's physical.

The medium is electromagnetic field, which is everywhere. I don't think there's a deeper understanding currently, we consider it a property of spacetime, it's just there.

deep parts of space completely empty though, so how does light still travel through it? i thought electromagnetic fields are only within galaxies and maybe a little further out, and clustered here and there?

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
If there was a medium, the speed would be relative to that medium; they looked
Michelson–Morley experiment - Wikipedia
the speed of light is an absolute (Einstein thought to use the word absolute in the naming of what we now call the theory of relativity).

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I looked it up, photons are massless, so fascinating, light has no mass - yet in its creation, instantly travels faster than anything, maybe Light is God?

all hail Apollo indeed

does different light travel at different speeds? like a candle lit in a room vs the Sun giving off light? or are both traveling at same speed at moment of spark? if answer is yes, I vote we retire this thread and just say Light is God's manifestation, and we begin to hold rituals chanting around fires

If there was a medium, the speed would be relative to that medium; they looked
Michelson–Morley experiment - Wikipedia
the speed of light is an absolute (Einstein thought to use the word absolute in the naming of what we now call the theory of relativity).

but what if the fabric that gravity bends in the Cosmos is the medium, that can't be measured, or seen, cause we have no idea what it is

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I still don't understand what the medium is for light though, as there is nothing consistent in the Cosmos other than the fabric that gravity bends
Well the medium is anything light travels through, in space mainly the empty void of vacuum & emptiness. On earth, the atmoshpere, water, windows, etc.

Sound, humans mainly consider air, since it's how we 'hear', however it travels at different speeds through water, steel, etc. as well. Funny thing is physcial sound as we define it does not travel through a vacuum like space and light does not goes through things that are not opaque/translucent/transparent, hence shadows.

Then again, not really sure I understand your question. Maybe I need gravity to bend my mind around it. ;)

edit - try out this channel

maybe he can help

edit 2 - ooooooooooo

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
a wavelength, this concept is hard for me to understand, but it does make sense. surely even wavelengths have a physical substance, just at a level we can't measure? how is something not nothing? agh i guess i just am not smart enough to understand these things, but ty for trying lol
Light has traits that resemble both particles and waves. Even physicists can't fully understand it, as far as I know.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Greeks had it wrong Apollo was the god of speed all along.
We need winged shoes for racing drivers

I looked it up, photons are massless, so fascinating, light has no mass - yet in its creation, instantly travels faster than anything, maybe Light is God?
Remember, mass and energy are in a way the same thing. A photon has the energy of 300km/s, always. It cannot be slowed down - time itself bends to the speed of light.

A good explanation I found on stackexchange:
You are confusing to different concepts. The photon is a particle whereas the classical description of light is a wave, vibrating or oscillating electric and magnetic field vectors. The dual description is the hallmark of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. The same could be said of material particles like the electron. They have an associated frequency but they do not "vibrate" in the traditional sense.

Material vibrations occur in acoustics and are oscillations in a material like air, water, or elastic solids (there are other examples). Our experience leads us to expect "vibrations" need a medium. For a long time people thought this was true of light and postulated an ether for light waves to travel in. In the late 1800s to early 1900s we discovered that there was no need for this and that we could describe "light" as oscillations in electric and magnetic field vectors. This is a classical mechanics description of light.

Experiments seem to indicate that light (which we thought of as a wave) has particle like properties and that matter (electrons, protons, etc which we thought of as particles) could behave like waves. This led to the development of quantum mechanics in which particle-wave duality is an underlying paradigm.

Any particle has an associated frequency and wavelength related to its energy and momentum. Similarly any quantized field (like light) has associated particles related to its irreducible quantum states.

In the context of QM and QFT any "particle" has a frequency even thought that particle is not necessarily vibrating in the classic sense of acoustics.

Before I begin, a few qualifiers. The terms "Cosmos" and "Universe" are not synonyms and are not interchangeable. "Cosmos" literally translated means "All things", it is more widely defined as "Everything, Everywhere". The "Universe" is only that matter which sprang forth from the Big Bang. Our Universe exists within the Greater Cosmos at large. They are not one in the same.

then light would need a medium too yes
No. Light is made up of particles(photons) that travel through space and any substance that is photonically transparent. Sound is the transmission of kinetic energy through matter.
so deep space is not nothing, there is a medium
No, space is the absence of matter, mostly, which is why their is no sound in space(regardless of what is presented in Science Fiction).
I believe the earliest physicists called this the Aether
True, and they were incorrect.
something since they didn't know about dark matter and energy yet
Dark matter/energy are theoretical constructs. There is no proof of the actual existence of dark matter/energy. Some scientists, like myself, lean toward a different explanation.
I'm aware it takes time for light to reach us from far away, I am aware this is measurable phenomena, but what if the reason it takes time to get to us isn't because of distance and time? Is it possible there is another mechanism at play that slows light down, maybe micro-bends in gravity that we can't measure, besides sheer distance? I think the bending nature of gravity at the Cosmic scale still has more to teach us about how things travel, in this case light... what if the material substance (even though we can't see it) that gravity is bending well it all has to be connected at some sort of cosmic scale, all bending the same field of substance regardless of location within the visible Cosmos -localized bending of gravity in relation to size seems obvious and clear and has been calculated, but gravity itself as a medium - since if we were to say
Gravity does affect light, it's path and in rare situations, it's velocity. Gravity can both change the direction photons are traveling and their rate of travel.
Gravity inherently is bending something, not nothing...
Almost. The "curvature of space", as referred to by Einstein, is a metaphor. Space doesn't actually curve and is not "bent" by gravity.
that nothing is everywhere in the Cosmos even if we can't measure it, it is therefore the medium light travels upon no?
No. Again, space is the absence of matter through which photons of light travel.

Think of it like this: Photons of light are very tiny particles being shot out into the Universe similar to a bullet being shot from a rifle. Both have been launched in a particular direction at a particular velocity. Both will continue on until interacted with by matter, energy or a force. In completely empty space, both would continue on forever. But in our Universe, filled with matter, energy and forces, both will be interacted with at one point or another. The bullet being enormously larger in size and mass than a photon, will be constantly interacted with as it is being bombarded with photons and other forms of energy. It will eventually collide with something and change in both shape and trajectory. The Photon will continue on until it hits something(a piece of dust, a planet, whatever) and is either absorbed, refracted or reflected.
I don't necessarily believe that gravity is bound by the rules of distance and time
Oh, but it is. Gravity is bound by many factors, distance and time being two of the tree primary variables, the third being the mass of the object generating the gravity field in question. The further you get from a gravity field the weaker it's influence on you becomes. That is how the Voyager and Pioneer probes have left the Solar System and off into interstellar space. If gravity was not affected by distance and time, the Big Bang would never have taken place. But here we are..
I looked it up, photons are massless
Not quite. They have a very small mass, relative to our scales of measurement, but they do have mass. Photons are very small. Similar to Electrons but less massive.

That is incorrect. The velocity of light is dependent on a number of factors, including proximity to a gravity field. While we have established the speed of light in general terms, that measurement is not constant.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Well the medium is anything light travels through, in space mainly the empty void of vacuum & emptiness. On earth, the atmoshpere, water, windows, etc.

going to watch both of these tonight, thanks!

I don't understand the concept of a void of emptiness in space, for example, if I were to say magically take a planet or the sun, and move them to any void in space you choose, they would immediately bend the fabric their based on their size/gravity - so in fact its not nothing there at all, there is something there and its bending it. maybe these videos will help me though, thank you, watching soon :D

Gravity does affect light, it's path and in rare situations, it's velocity. Gravity can both change the direction photons are traveling and their rate of travel.

this is where I am stuck, the rest of your post makes a lot of sense to me. I understand what you mean when you say it doesn't bend, its just those visual images that show the bending based on size that trip me up here, because this indicates even the void itself is not nothing, if it can be manipulated by a larger object, then maybe light uses this "fabric" as a medium? even if we can't see or understand it.

1694754515369.png

this is where I am stuck, the rest of your post makes a lot of sense to me. I understand what you mean when you say it doesn't bend, its just those visual images that show the bending based on size that trip me up here, because this indicates even the void itself is not nothing, if it can be manipulated by a larger object, then maybe light uses this "fabric" as a medium? even if we can't see or understand it.
To me, it seems the point you're stuck on is the idea of complete emptiness. It is something that is real.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
going to watch both of these tonight, thanks!

I don't understand the concept of a void of emptiness in space, for example, if I were to say magically take a planet or the sun, and move them to any void in space you choose, they would immediately bend the fabric their based on their size/gravity - so in fact its not nothing there at all, there is something there and its bending it. maybe these videos will help me though, thank you, watching soon :D

View attachment 313728
Look up quantum field theory. I might be getting it wrong (someone please correct me if that's the case), but my understanding is this:

If you imagine the universe as a collection of fields representing different energy states, then particles are a point of non-zero energy state in a certain field, like a vibration on a guitar string, whereas emptiness is the field at an equilibrium, or zero energy state. You can argue that the guitar string exists even at a zero energy state, the same way the universe exists even in areas where the particle density is zero. Spacetime that "bends" is the field, not the particles in it.

Gravity and light propagate through emptiness because gravity affects the quantum field, and light is made up of particles that travel at light speed until they hit something. Sound doesn't propagate through emptiness because it's just the resonance of different particles, but in emptiness, there are no particles to resonate. Light is a particle. Sound is only the effect that some particles have on your eardrums.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Look up quantum field theory. I might be getting it wrong (someone please correct me if that's the case), but my understanding is this:

If you imagine the universe as a collection of fields representing different energy states, then particles are a point of non-zero energy state in a certain field, like a vibration on a guitar string, whereas emptiness is the field at an equilibrium, or zero energy state. You can argue that the guitar string exists even at a zero energy state, the same way the universe exists even in areas where the particle density is zero. Spacetime that "bends" is the field, not the particles in it.

Gravity and light propagate through emptiness because gravity affects the quantum field, and light is made up of particles that travel at light speed until they hit something. Sound doesn't propagate through emptiness because it's just the resonance of different particles, but in emptiness, there are no particles to resonate. Light is a particle. Sound is only the effect that some particles have on your eardrums.

this helps yeah. going to have to look more into this

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I vote we retire this thread and just say Light is God's manifestation, and we begin to hold rituals chanting around fires

If you want to do that, feel free to leave the science discussions. ;)