• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why do we think light travels the same as sound? Some questions for astrophysics folks out there

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@Space Lynx
Don't be sad. 54thVoid was being equal parts silly and being a mod. No worries mate. Religious discussion is against forum rules. We all know you were being silly as well. He likely chimed in because some namdy twat reported your comment to be a jerk.

Some days I hate that I was born on the Autism spectrum, while I like being able to think in different ways, society is not built for people like me.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Some days I hate that I was born on the Autism spectrum, while I like being able to think in different ways, society is not built for people like me.

Never diagnosed but I'm exceptionally focused on 'things'. My comment had a winky smiley. That's not a hostile action. is it?

Regardless, I figured your comment wasn't serious, but there are those who'll blindly ignore science to suit dogmatic faith (and blind faith is a dangerous weapon). In these science threads, we stick to what can be reasoned with and logically discussed. Pure science asks to be disproved. The word for trying to disprove faith is heresy.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Never diagnosed but I'm exceptionally focused on 'things'. My comment had a winky smiley. That's not a hostile action. is it?

Regardless, I figured your comment wasn't serious, but there are those who'll blindly ignore science to suit dogmatic faith (and blind faith is a dangerous weapon). In these science threads, we stick to what can be reasoned with and logically discussed. Pure science asks to be disproved. The word for trying to disprove faith is heresy.

Sorry I did not fully disclaim, my comment was only partially in response to yours. It's a combination of a lot of things why I feel that way lately.

Yes, I agree, even being silly about religion stuff really had no place in this thread, regarding the science stuff, I still think it is worth asking questions that may not make sense or have any merit on the surface, to see where they can take us. I don't regret making this thread, got some new videos to watch now and research some more stuff.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
going to watch both of these tonight, thanks!

I don't understand the concept of a void of emptiness in space, for example, if I were to say magically take a planet or the sun, and move them to any void in space you choose, they would immediately bend the fabric their based on their size/gravity - so in fact its not nothing there at all, there is something there and its bending it. maybe these videos will help me though, thank you, watching soon :D

this is where I am stuck, the rest of your post makes a lot of sense to me. I understand what you mean when you say it doesn't bend, its just those visual images that show the bending based on size that trip me up here, because this indicates even the void itself is not nothing, if it can be manipulated by a larger object, then maybe light uses this "fabric" as a medium? even if we can't see or understand it.

View attachment 313728
Well yes an no. (On gravity affecting light). It takes an incredible amount of gravity to affect light. Something like our earth would be like holding a candle in the Antarctic in winter.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Pound and Rebka measured gravitational time dilation on the Earth in 1959; an amazing achievement.

Also, our GPS system would soon go astray (in a matter of hours) if we did not take into account gravitational time dilation.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Sorry I did not fully disclaim, my comment was only partially in response to yours. It's a combination of a lot of things why I feel that way lately.

Yes, I agree, even being silly about religion stuff really had no place in this thread, regarding the science stuff, I still think it is worth asking questions that may not make sense or have any merit on the surface, to see where they can take us. I don't regret making this thread, got some new videos to watch now and research some more stuff.
Binge watching the doc Fermi Lab?? :)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Binge watching the doc Fermi Lab?? :)

this one helped the most, but I am still stuck on the concept of wavelength itself, wavelength or wave is just a word, but outside of the definition of wave or wavelength what is that term's substance? is it just observed in nature and we put a name to it, or do we understand wavelengths at a fundamental level? or is it possible there are layers of the universe we simply don't see or understand yet? I try to imagine the first scientists who figured out radio, the first ones who saw in infrared after understanding its concept, but then actually being able to make a tool to utilize it... I sometimes wonder how many layers we still have to discover, how many lenses with which we see the universe.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
this one helped the most, but I am still stuck on the concept of wavelength itself, wavelength or wave is just a word, but outside of the definition of wave or wavelength what is that term's substance? is it just observed in nature and we put a name to it, or do we understand wavelengths at a fundamental level? or is it possible there are layers of the universe we simply don't see or understand yet? I try to imagine the first scientists who figured out radio, the first ones who saw in infrared after understanding its concept, but then actually being able to make a tool to utilize it... I sometimes wonder how many layers we still have to discover, how many lenses with which we see the universe.
Do we know what the "fundamental level" is here, or in other areas of particle physics? (Also, why is a photon roughly the same size as the antenna that emitted it?)

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
wavelength or wave is just a word, but outside of the definition of wave or wavelength what is that term's substance
Are you looking for photons?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Are you looking for photons?

i don't know what I am looking for, maybe its an infinite regress problem, what makes the photon? maybe its not an infinite regress problem, but we simply don't understand all of it.

its also a problem of etymology i think, cause i already confused myself + mixed with just not smart enough for this topic I think.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
i don't know what I am looking for, maybe its an infinite regress problem, what makes the photon? maybe its not an infinite regress problem, but we simply don't understand all of it.

its also a problem of etymology i think, cause i already confused myself + mixed with just not smart enough for this topic I think.
Well what do you mean when you say light? Visible? Light or visible light is just a small part of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum…..if that’s the correct term. Maybe check the definition of a photon and the definition of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum? Maybe it will help put things into perspective or compartmentalize them?

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
Light doesn't travel in a straight line. It is bent by gravity. The effect is pronounced enough that e.g. GPS receivers have to account for Earth's gravity when judging the incoming satellite signals.

Did anybody ever measure whether the same is true for sound?

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Light doesn't travel in a straight line. It is bent by gravity. The effect is pronounced enough that e.g. GPS receivers have to account for Earth's gravity when judging the incoming satellite signals.

Did anybody ever measure whether the same is true for sound?
Since sound can only travel through mass, sound is bent, refracted, diffused, and reflected by changes in density.

Last edited:
Memory 16GB DDR3
i don't know what I am looking for, maybe its an infinite regress problem

Some people wonder if quarks have internal constituents, and if those consituents themselves... but it has to stop as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle says that a confinded particle has energy and so mass (the smaller the confinement the bigger the mass). So if quarks had smaller consituents that would lead to more mass than they actually have.

This has to be a troll...right. There's no way that this could actually be a question?

Wavelength is easy to explain in light. Let me ask you a simple question...what is the color observed? Yes, it's that simple and stupid. Color, and wavelength, are inherent properties of the energy of a photon which is a measure of how energetic of a reaction created it.

Sound is mechanically generated waves. It moves through different mediums at different speeds because it literally is stuff vibrating against other stuff.

Light is free of mass. If it had mass, it would not be able to travel at the speed of light. It's also tricky, because it behaves and a packet of waves...so both as a particle and as a wave depending upon the situation. This is high school level physics...and the double slit or polarization filters experiments are dead simple ways to explain this behavior.

Light is not a transference of energy, like sound. As such, it doesn't require a medium. If it did the sun would not work, radiative energy transfer would not work, and a near vacuum would be a perfect insulator for everything. You can demonstrate it is not by purchasing one of those fancy coffee cups with a double layer and internal vacuum. It insulates very well, but you can still feel a bit of heat coming from the cup through the vacuum sections on a cold day. Because there's no convection or conduction (relatively speaking) that energy has to be able to transfer somehow...and the third type of heat transfer is radiation.

Final bit...the speed of light and the speed of sound are dependent upon their medium. This is why sound is measured in mach...which is a function of local atmospheric density. Light travels at light speed only in a vacuum...and science has effectively demonstrated a near stop of light in a medium. Believe it or not, science isn't religion or magic. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's god. If that logic held up the Insane Clown Posse would be more than the butt of jokes.
As an aside...why astrophysicists? I learned about all of this in my basic required high school physics. "We" don't think something so profoundly backwards. You are poorly informed about basic physics, and should try to get a copy of a basic textbook rather than ask "profound" questions that are the definition of basic core curricula things.

Also, God is not behind magnets...if you don't understand, try "how do magnets work" on youtube and be prepared to want to wash your brain out with bleach.

Memory 16GB DDR3
Last edited:
Quark - Wikipedia
"A quark (/kwɔːrk, kwɑːrk/) is a type of elementary particle"

Elementary particle - Wikipedia
"an elementary particle or fundamental particle is a subatomic particle that is not composed of other particles."
And you don't think Quarks are made up of smaller particles? Seriously, what do you think the various colliders built and being built are for? They're not trying to detect Quarks. We've done this, years ago, even decades ago. They're trying to detect ever smaller particles. Such particles have been theorized and are supposed to exist. The problem most people have with trying to understand the way the Universe actually exists is that they are limiting themselves to G&SR. Relativity is flawed. It works for some things, not for all. So to explain the unexplained we have to view the Universe with a lense OTHER than that which doesn't work.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling SPC Fortis 3
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000 2x8
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio RTX 3070
Storage Lexar Pro NM760 1 TB, Corsair MP510 960 GB
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Power Supply EVGA G2 750W
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard SPC Gear GK550 Omnis Kailh Brown RGB
So... has LHC actually detected any of those smaller particles, or are they just theoretical?

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
This has to be a troll...right. There's no way that this could actually be a question?
Asking a question with the intention of learning (however trivial it may seem to you) is the exact opposite of trolling, imo.

As an aside...why astrophysicists? I learned about all of this in my basic required high school physics. "We" don't think something so profoundly backwards. You are poorly informed about basic physics, and should try to get a copy of a basic textbook rather than ask "profound" questions that are the definition of basic core curricula things.
I don't know about OP, but I, for example couldn't give a rat's arse about physics or any science during my school years, but I do care now. People change, our interests change, and there's nothing wrong with that.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Question ? Do Light Photons have Mass

Answer of Course they Do...............

or the working principal of Light Sail's is general proof of this.
Light Photons push Light Sail's ................To Push something physical you need mass
"Newtons law"