1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will an A10-7850K or Athlon 760K Bottleneck a R9 290X?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Durvelle27, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex79 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the difference between gold and "normal" PSU? Stability?

I've just took a quick peak in the shop... Both "Bronze" and "Gold" have 80 rating, but they are very differently priced?
    And thank you for the help, appreciate it.

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Golds are usually made from better quality components. That being said, there are a lot of dodgy PSU manufacturers chasing the bronze standard, because nobody buys a PSU without at least that if they have half a clue. Also Golds have better power draw efficiency. Efficiency is what the PSU is drawing from the wall. A typical PSU that's 550W, if the system is pulling 550W, it's actually going to be pulling more from the wall. A higher efficiency means less wasted power is drawn from the wall to provide the 550W. Gold saves you more pennies than a silver, silver to bronze, etc. Myself, I have a platinum, but arguably the difference in power cost savings is minimal. I just prefer higher efficiency PSU's as they tend to be built a lot better.

Also, Seasonic are by far the greatest PSU manufacturer anyway, hence why they're expensive.

alex79 says thanks.
  3. alex79 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got it, thanks. Basically it means I will be paying more for electricity.

Checked Seasonic. G and X gold models from 550w to 650w are around 115 euro here.. Hmm, I guess it will wait for a month or two.

"...because nobody buys a PSU without at least that if they have half a clue."
    :)

4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't absolutely have to buy a Gold PSU. You can buy a Bronze, just ensure it's a quality made unit. Head over to JonnyGuru's site, he's the master of PSU reviews. Check out his range of reviews on 550 and 600W units and find one that has a good score that you like the look of, and also that's within your price range. You also don't have to buy a Seasonic, there are other manufacturers that make good PSU's, just check reviews first. Manufacturers like FSP, SuperFlower, Seasonic, XFX, Enermax, beQuiet, Antec and Corsair are all reputable makes. Look for some reviews is the best advice I can give you.

alex79 says thanks.
  5. alex79 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a great site, thanks again!

6. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Thought this thread died O.O

Seems kinda odd though as i've never had issues with games like Rift or DOTA

7. Phillip.Phillip

Phillip.Phillip New Member

Thanks Received:
    You all don't even know what bottle necking is !!!!!!!!!!! Watch the Video on you tube

8. estehanio New Member

Thanks Received:
    How did it turn out? I got myself an r290x but I'm planning to get an A10 7850K, (at the moment A4 7300 stutters like hell)...
    Are satisfied with the performance?

9. john_

john_

Thanks Received:
    If you have a 290X why buy a 7850K and not for example a 860K?

10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    860K would get further in oc due to reduced power draw.

11. Serhat

Serhat

Thanks Received:
    i have a10 7850k with Asus r9 280x and i am playing games at 1920x1080 without any problem (with no overclock)
    other system specs are
    msi a88x g45
    8 gb kingston hyperx beast 1600
    evga süpernova g2 850w

and suggestion if you want to do that comp u should have a good PSU and dont try to o.c upper 4.5 if u dont have a water cooling :) i dont have water cooling and i tried 4.5mhz ipc handled strees test just for 5 min :)

i have akasa venom air cooling and i am using 4.2mhz without no problem :)

12. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    I can't understand why anyone would buy the fastest single GPU AMD card and a slow processor. An i5 would be minimum if you ask me (or an overclocked G3258).

13. Serhat

Serhat

Thanks Received:
    i can explain for mine :) if you live in Turkey like me :) i am an agricultural engineer and my monthly salary is 750$ . in this summer i need a new pc . then i checked my budged i bought this a10 7850k with asus aa8xm-a mainboard first :) then i used its gpu for a while next month i bought a ssd + cooling fans. and then next month i bought msi a88x g45 mainboard . then next month i bought asus r9 280x ( i got some extra Money ) :) then this month i bought evga g2 süpernova 850w :) in my case all about Money and i said i earn 750$ per month and that a10 7850k is nearly 220$ in Turkey , in US(checked at newegg) its 159$ :) and i wanted to buy an i5 processor this value is going upper and upper . in my country if u dont have more Money sometimes 100 $ means many thing :) i bought that evga g2 süpernova 850w for 220$ and its priced at newegg 144 $ . if i can explain :)we are not lucky ( talkin about myself ) i made my pc part by part . for now i am happy with my pc performance if it handle me for 2 years i feel good and i think a10 7850k cpu performance is good if you are a gamer and if u are not playing with 4k :)

14. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    its not slow in anyway. its more than what most games can handle these days.
    gaming DOES NOT REQUIRE A VERY GOOD CPU. even a mediocre one at best would suffice.
    how eVer fuTure proofing is a diffeRNT issue

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  15. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    It turned out great but I would suggest a 860K over a 7850K

Only reason I used a 7850K was because I already had it

16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK some games are pretty CPU bound.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Id say the 860K unless you absolutely need the gpu side of the apu.

Durvelle27 says thanks.
  18. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    There is basically no AMD CPU or APU I'd use with a discrete high end GPU. None. They're really only good for bang for buck systems using lower end GPUs.

The ones in denial about this might be happy, until that is they play these monster resource hoggers that are coming out lately. Really depends if you want to keep up on the times or not.

19. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    I found this very untruthful but your opinion is your opinion

Just a heads up I've used A10s, FXs, and i7s for gaming recently with high-end GPUs (7970s, 780, 290s, 290Xs etc...)

Ran perfectly fine for my needs.

20. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    ^Then "for your needs" is likely in understanding you're eventually going to run into shortcomings if you want to play most AAA titles at launch, or even a good percentage of the games coming out lately. I don't care what's happened in the past, most of the complaints about AMD CPU performance are escalating recently. It's not a good time to buy an AMD CPU.

You'd think that AMD recently promising to do better with their next architecture would have made that clear, but to each their own.

21. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Play most of all AAA games ultra to max settings @1080P

22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

and apparently i play mostly those games, as going from my old 1090t 6 core to an i3, even the i3 was faster.

I don't get why people still argue about this.

1. AMD CPU's can still run the games at max settings
    2. faster intel CPU's will run the game at the same settings, but smoother and at a higher FPS.
    3. The intel CPU's will cost you more

GhostRyder and eidairaman1 say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  23. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    what you said has very little truth to it.

i can play bf4 AND encode videos/archive with 7zip at ultra, at the same time without either taking a performance hit.

also i can play railworks 2014 maxxed out at 40fps(entry level GPU bottlenecks) which is near impossible on most intel CPUs because it is a real CPU hogger.

i dont know where you hear your complaints about AMD performance from, but my 8320 matches the score of an i7 3770 in cine bench exactly. and it cost me half.

you can expect performance from a quad core apu that costs the same as an intel i3.
    you have to add in the cost of the discrete gpu for the i3 system to make the comparison make any sense.
    the integrated IGPUs in apus are quite a long way ahead of intel HDxxxx

still doesnt matter much. I played bioshock 2 +DLCs maxxed out on my laptop which really doesnt even have the best APU or the best crossfire. whats more its clocked at 2GHz.
    how ever cpu bound a game is, its still stuck at using 4 threads or less

+1. and its often that the fps difference is not noticeable. who really cares about fps differences when its all above the 60fps mark.

24. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont think i can manage 60FPS solid in any game i play. i'd have to fire up 5 year old ones to achieve that.

the other stuff you said about not taking a hit can only because you're bottlenecked elsewhere.

RCoon says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  25. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    Even with GTX470 there was a huge difference when I upgraded from Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.7GHz to i5-2500K.. Now I have older hardware since my Z68 mobo died, this old i7 runs games also pretty fine.

But no AMD for me anymore. They are good for a smaller budget (like the FX-6300), but I prefer Intel.