1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Worse temps after delid 4770k cpu

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Good Guru, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Good Guru

Good Guru

Thanks Received:
    I delided my 4770k cpu and the temperatures are worse. I am using Coolabratory Liquid Pro on die and on the underside of the IHS, and MX-4 on top between the top of the IHS and waterblock heatsink.

I have cleaned everything totally and re-applied the Coolabratory Liquid Pro 5x, thoroughly cleaning in between applications. Still same worse temps than before, even when I was using just MX-4 on die for 2 days, before I found out it's no good on-the cpu bare die.

Thanks for any help or advice!

2. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Did you remove the black adhesive between the heat spreader and die to insure proper contact?

3. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What are your before and after temps looking like?

I've been contemplating doing the same to my 4790K, but not sure I wanna go the CLP route or not.

Did you clean off the IHS glue around the perimeter? I have heard something even the thickness of a piece of paper between the CPU's PCB and IHS will cause CLP temps to increase.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Good Guru

Good Guru

Thanks Received:
    Yes it's all cleaned up.

Before temps I could run say OCCT non-avx, POV-Ray, Hyper-pi, IBT, Prime95 2.66, and X264 stress tests before delid - under 90c 4.6 Ghz 1.34 Vcore now above 90c even at 4.3 1.184 Vcore.

5. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    this. if you don't clean off the glue you wont make good contact.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How are you applying CLP to the CPU?
    Are you applying a light coating to the IHS as well?
    Did you re-glue the IHS to the CPU or not? Some folks do some don't...many say let the CLP set and it'll hold the IHS after you secure it in the socket.
    What's your cooler?
    Is it the same cooler you were using before?
    Has anything else changed?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Good Guru

Good Guru

Thanks Received:
    Same cooler Phobya UAC-1 Extreme waterblock.

I applied very light amount just enough to cover the area like painted on...not really any tiny liquid drops between the die and IHS.

No I did not re-glue it's being held down by the retention mechanism. No movement hardly when seating it down.

8. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    If you take the heat spreader off do you see the CLP on the backside of it?

Good Guru says thanks.
  9. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    Check to see if the ISH is flat might need some lapping.

Good Guru says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Good Guru

Good Guru

Thanks Received:
    All the time I reapplied the CLP it DID NOT show up on the underside of the IHS.

The last time I applied it though I put the CLP also on the underside of the IHS.....STILL BAD (worse temps)

11. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Doesnt sound like its making good contact.

That doesnt matter. If you Applied iot to both times and got bad temps, then you applied it only to the IHS and got bad temps and when CHECKING the cooler there was no thermal paste their is a gap.

Sasqui says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. peche

peche Thermaltake fanboy

Thanks Received:
    you won this time! i was about to ...!

also, @Good Guru fill sys specs ... its a computer forum... help to be helped...

when delidding you must:
    Clean out everything you take out, CPU die and IHS, how? pretty easy, get an old credit card, scrape all glue from processors PCB, then do the same on the CPU IHS, use isopropyl alcohol also for clean out process you should use coffee filters, they are all lint free,

when applying Coollaboratory liquid PRO you must:
    Be sure that CPU die is as clean as possible, what for scratches on bare die, also the same on the IHS surface that faces the die,

when applying coollab you must use a clean eartip for trying to expand liquid metal, then without placing back CPU die seat the processor on socket tray, finally, apply a small thin layer of coollab on the processor, be sure to apply a thin layer, then place back all things and secure processor at his tray on the motherboard, then apply the paste over CPU IHS, thats all ...

Good Guru and Kursah say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    You had those high temps before and after on water ?

14. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    Just run it direct die...

[​IMG]

natr0n, yogurt_21 and hat say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Now that's hardcore.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Could lap the edges of the lid where it used to sit on the black adhesive, so it sits lower closer to the die, shaving its height down.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Watch some deliding video and see what you did wrong

EarthDog says thanks.
  18. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    But what about before, with it on water wouldn't it seem that something else might be in play that is wrong to start with ? like was there water in it
    Do you water guy's even get close to "under 90c" ? .Always had the impression that water kept those test temps far lower
    I think something else besides the delid is wrong

19. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    At high power levels there is a large temp difference between the die and the IHS due to the crappy TIM intel used on these chips. His water cooling is probably doing a great job keeping the IHS cool.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:

Seems like theres still too big of a gap between the IHS and the die.

why not just use vise only

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    That don't make sense to me, but I'm old. This sound's more like laptop temp's even if it is a hotter chip.
    So water cooling guy's get around 90c running those test when Air guys don't?
    I understand a lot of members here would talk about maybe 70-75 max but 90 or more, no way a proper water cooled member has reported that high as OP has unless something else was wrong..
    I do concur that the lid is still not setting down correct.

Also @Good Guru you saying you tried mounting the block direct to the bare delidded CPU?
    What temps did you have with no load[mx4 and CLP], and have you did any gaming or something other than just stress test's ?
    What temps were they ?
    Is the cooling pump and loop all flowing correctly?

22. Caring1

Caring1

Thanks Received:
    If it's not making contact, it's pointless filling that space with TIM, remove the IHS and run it bare under the water cooling as mentioned.

Vario says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I feel I should mention that you run the risk of potentially cracking/crushing that CPU die running direct contact. On the flip side, there's no way to get better than direct die contact. This sort of thing happened occasionally with AMD socket A processors, before they started using heatspreaders... that's there mainly to protect the CPU die from being crushed. I suppose you've got the guts to do it though, seeing as you've already delidded anyway...

Good Guru says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  24. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Just lap the bottom of the IHS so the edges are not as tall. Then it sits closer to the die. :roll:

Jetster says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  25. trog100

Thanks Received:
    the spreader needs to sit on the die.. tim is just there to fill any tiny air gaps.. clean it all up remove all glue and lap the base of the spreader.. all cooler block pressure should be taken by the die if its done properly..

the original problem is not caused by the tim intel use its caused by a poor fit and too much tim filling too large a gap.. no tim is that bad..

the results from "dedidding" will vary depending on how bad things were to start with.. no way should it ever be worse than the intel attempt.. if it is.. lap the base of the spreader until your are sure its making good contact with the die..

intel rely on a good dollop of tim to fill any air gaps.. tim is better than air but that is about all that can be said for it.. which is why it should be kept to a minimum.. but having said that the spreader does need to be applying good contact pressure with the die.. if it isnt the best tim in the world (minimally applied) will do bugger all.. the end result will be an air gap with poor thermal transfer..

trog

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Good Guru and Vario say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU