• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X79 and/or rampage IV OC'ing thread for those of us still left....

al_bundy

LiquidExtasy Rep
For the Asrock X79 i have a waterblock :)

1.JPG
3.JPG

ZOX

Small info for fellow x79 users:

You all know that Intel had to make a chipset revision because of 6G problems and it seems 10 years later the problem shows it's head:
about two weeks ago, one of the disks connected to Intel 6G port started disconnecting randomly.
I've disabled Intel SATA controller and used ASMedia 1061 for 6G connectivity.

About a week ago I've started getting "Machine exception check" BSOD (when lucky) when scanning hardware.
System worked completely normally until I scanned for hardware changes or tried to install new drivers for anything - from GPU to G13 keyboard.
So I've swapped from 1680V2 to 2667V2 and no change. Then to 3930k - same deal ...
Then I tested RAM sticks one by one, then PSU, GPU, completely disassembling the board, washing it, new pads, etc...
After days of hair pulling I tried to search for a new motherboard, but, OMG, people around here are asking 200 euros for x79 MB :)

Anyway, as last desperate thing, I've disconnected disks and voila - everything worked! Then I connected them to 3G ports and again - everything worked!
So it looks like external 6G SATA controller isn't connected by PCIe bus but somehow goes through Intel 6G controller and if that one fails, external will cause problems as well.

Hope it helps someone to save their hairline ...

Last edited:
Small info for fellow x79 users:

You all know that Intel had to make a chipset revision because of 6G problems and it seems 10 years later the problem shows it's head:
about two weeks ago, one of the disks connected to Intel 6G port started disconnecting randomly.
I've disabled Intel SATA controller and used ASMedia 1061 for 6G connectivity.

About a week ago I've started getting "Machine exception check" BSOD (when lucky) when scanning hardware.
System worked completely normally until I scanned for hardware changes or tried to install new drivers for anything - from GPU to G13 keyboard.
So I've swapped from 1680V2 to 2667V2 and no change. Then to 3930k - same deal ...
Then I tested RAM sticks one by one, then PSU, GPU, completely disassembling the board, washing it, new pads, etc...
After days of hair pulling I tried to search for a new motherboard, but, OMG, people around here are asking 200 euros for x79 MB :)

Anyway, as last desperate thing, I've disconnected disks and voila - everything worked! Then I connected them to 3G ports and again - everything worked!
So it looks like external 6G SATA controller isn't connected by PCIe bus but somehow goes through Intel 6G controller and if that one fails, external will cause problems as well.

Hope it helps someone to save their hairline ...
Here I have 2 HDs connected to the Asmedia 6G controller, everything works normally I'm using w11 22h2 updated, in bios I leave ahci using driver v3.3.5.0
motherboard here asus rampage iv extreme

Very unlikely. Not because of the CPU, but because ASUS does not support RDIMMs on their consumer line of boards.
4gb is work but 8gb or 16 or 32
I didn't see anyone who did the test or managed it, I saw Asrock x79 that worked with 16GB sticks, but no one asus

USASXII

Running my 1680V2 at 4488 stable. I had to tone down from 4501. My chip needs alot of vcore. I'm using 1.475v with 180% LLC.

1231545.png

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK

Testing coming.. soonish. E5-1650 does 4.7 easily but I wanna push it.