• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 GTO² to X850 XT BIOS Mod

Processor Intel Corei5 2500k
Motherboard ASUS P8P67
Memory 8GB Gskill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX760
Storage Samsung SSD 240GB
Power Supply Corsair TX750W
afropuff said:
How do you know what core you have?

Are we to assume that if our Connect3d cores do not say "R480" on them than they are not R480 and an R423?

How do we even know it is an R423?

I just recieved my C3D GTO today and took off the heatsink to apply some AS5. First off, I've never seen so much thermal grease on a stock config before. Mounds of it.

So when I got the HSF off, there is no mention of "R423" on the core, only a bunch of codes.

Also, how do we physically check to see if any of the pipelines have been cut?

-fro
with The ATITOOL you can see what core you have and how many pipelines.

HousERaT

Processor Q6700
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula
Cooling Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Ballistix Tracer 8500
Video Card(s) HD 3870 Crossfire
Storage 74G Raptor
Display(s) A Sony big one
Case Kingwin SK523
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Yes :p
afropuff said:
How do you know what core you have?

Are we to assume that if our Connect3d cores do not say "R480" on them than they are not R480 and an R423?

How do we even know it is an R423?

I just recieved my C3D GTO today and took off the heatsink to apply some AS5. First off, I've never seen so much thermal grease on a stock config before. Mounds of it.

So when I got the HSF off, there is no mention of "R423" on the core, only a bunch of codes.

Also, how do we physically check to see if any of the pipelines have been cut?

-fro
I would love to see this no name core..... can you snap a pic of it?

jammer8

i flashed mine with the modified bios, and runs great, it does have 16P and runs real fast with my system stock, atleast that's what 3dmark05 says.

right now i have it at 510/500 until i get a cooler(should I lower that). so you guys think i should get the zalman cooler with the ramsinks that come with it?

it's only running at 63 degrees Celcius at full load, is that good?

also i have the mod on cd if anyone wants the iso i can send it to them

afropuff

HousERaT said:
I would love to see this no name core..... can you snap a pic of it?

JeffereyRyan on page 78 of this thread (I think) posted this pic of his C3D:

That is basically what mine looks like. Ordered from Monarch when they had their rebate.

JefferyRyan was able to unlock his card to 16 pipes.

-fro

BlackPearl

Jammer - 63C under load should not be a problem. The Zalman would certainly reduce that and possibly allow a better o/c. Also it's quiet, unlike the stock cooler at 100% fan speed.

decline

ShadowFlare said:
What way did you do it? Did you follow one of those guides for that? What I recall from reading those a while back is that you can't just connect that, but you have to actually scrape between until there is copper exposed, or something like that. You probably don't want to go by just what I said, though. Find one of those guides (I'm not sure where to have you look to find one).

yes, i did it the right way :eek: . I scraped and used some silver conductive paint to bridge out the laser cut but only 12pipes in atitool :twitch:
I suppose that will be locked on die :(

z00m

my gto2 core is maxing out at 510/630 and i want more... should i just get another one and return this one for a restocking fee of 15%? what do you guys think?

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
Well, you might get a worse one. It's all a gamble. Let me tell you, you got some GREAT memory chips (mine got to 618 with the stock timings). Some cores won't even go past 490, so all I can say is, if you decide to do it, GL to ya.

jammer8

BlackPearl said:
Jammer - 63C under load should not be a problem. The Zalman would certainly reduce that and possibly allow a better o/c. Also it's quiet, unlike the stock cooler at 100% fan speed.

thanks, i thought that was a good temp. and the fan is kinda loud

z00m

hehe i see, well i guess ill take the gamble than ima run to the store and pick one up for 264 plus tax = 286. ill be back in like an hour to let yall know the result.

aviator

Another GTO2 mod (just !)

To quote an earlier post -
Originally Posted by edge929
Another successful mod here.
One thing I wanted to point out that the guide doesn't mention. For me, I HAD to use the -f command to force the flash (as the SSIDs didn't match).

I had the same problem. In case it helps anyone out there, I also HAD to use -f to force the flash, which then proceeded ok, but very nervous at boot up.
Interestingly, when I booted-up the screen display after flashing - the display was terrible and the ATI Control Panel couldn't start.
Uninstalled the ATI Control Panel using the utility via Add/Remove Programs and downloaded Catalyst 5.9 from the Sapphire site (seems to be same drivers irrespective of whether you opt for drivers for X800 GTO or X850 GT). Installed these, re-booted and all is well.
AtiTool now shows 16 pipes.

No idea whether it makes any difference as have no means yet of testing, but I can see my screen well enough :)

z00m

ok, i just picked the card up. should i run it at normal speed for awhile than oc it? i read somewhere that you should run it for awhile first before overclocking it. any ideas?

oh yeah, btw the card at my local shop is only 264.99 plus free shipping. thats like the cheapest place you can find online. http://store.yahoo.com/directron/x800gto2.html

satire

Is there really only 1 version of the Sapphire GTO2 card? I have flashed my bios and I now get green artefact. I have flash back with the original firmware on this site, I get the same result. my GTO2 OEM part numbner is 102-A47487-10-AT purchased at NCIX.COM in Canada two weeks ego. does anyone have an original bios for this exact card? please email it me at lbouchard@stas.ca

Last edited:

ShadowFlare

Processor Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ 2.0 GHz, max 2.6 GHz with Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Motherboard EpoX 9NPA+Ultra nForce4 Ultra with Zalman ZM-NB47J
Cooling All Zalman heatsinks (CNPS7000B-AlCu, ZM-NB47J, VF700-Cu)
Memory 1 GB (2x512 MB) DDR400 Corsair XMS C2 series, max 233 MHz @ 2-3-2-9 1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 256 MB PCIe max 540/600, modded to 16 pipes
Storage Seagate 80GB SATA, Maxtor 160GB PATA, Maxtor 200GB PATA
Display(s) Dell 17" Trinitron CRT
Case Lian Li PC-60B Plus
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek chip
Power Supply Enermax Noisetaker EG495AX-VE, 485 watts, active PFC
Software Windows XP Pro SP2, Windows XP Pro x64, Windows Vista RC1 32-bit
BlackPearl said:
It may not be a good idea to flash the C3D card with a GTO2 bios. It's probably better to use W1zzard's modified C3D 16p bios from the article.
mascaras said:
yes its that bios i want to say ,sory .
You used that bios and it worked? Hmm, thanks for the little bit of insight into my research on this thread: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=6081 It may not be a sure thing, though. Does anyone know if all chips for X800's not marked with R480 are not R480?

Slicky

jammer8 said:
I got my connect 3d GTO yesterday. i had already made a bootable cd with all the nescessary stuff on it. it was the easiest flash i've ever done.
:rockout:

Where did you get the bootable CD? I have the exact same card on its way to me. Is it in the bios section on this board?

emkubed

Mark another Sapphire success, unlocked, running at XT speeds, waiting on the winter to kick in to go a tad higher.

When I game I flirt with 70 degrees on the stock cooler, in a quiet case. CPU-wise, that's closing into BIOS-alarm-hot, doesn't seem to bother the vid card though.

killiedel

x800 connect3d gto pcie

hi i have tried to open the extra 4 pipelines on this card, but it does not show any change after i have flashed the bios.
Is this the correct way to do it?
I am using atiflash, and the connect3d x800gto 16p.sa.....bin.
In dos i type "atiflash -f -p 0 x80016p" (the dos name for my bin file)
Then i rebbot and check using atitool, but it still show 12 pipelines.

I have tried using different bios but windows only detects a new card, and the pipelines stay at 12.

My fuses are the correct type for flashing - config die fuses 0xeff7ffff, config substrike fuses 0xffffff9f

Anyone any ideas on whats wrong.

p.s. the card comes up as a pro version, is this right?

3dbenchmark03 std - 9534, with x800xt bios 10626
Thanks

Groggy

he he if you read all the postings you will find your answer. :) :cool:
ok i think you should use the -newbios option

Type: atiflash -p 0 bios.bin -f -newbios

And then tell us what happend:D

sew333

Hey. ON COnnect3d X800gto is a 100% chance to mod bios to X800XL?
OR not?
THis is 100% chance??

BlackPearl

sew333 - the correct rate is in the first post of this thread and it's not 100%.

killiedel - try following the instructions from the first post of this thread exactly. You say that you're using atiflash while W1zzard says "You MUST use the modded Flashrom, other flashing utilities will not change your pipeline configuration". Also, try reinstalling catalyst drivers after the mod - some report that's necessary though it wasn't for me.

jammer8

Slicky said:
Where did you get the bootable CD? I have the exact same card on its way to me. Is it in the bios section on this board?

i actually followed the guide on this website and added the nescessary files.

also i typed

flashrom -p 0 gto16p.bin

where the file i renamed to gto16p.bin, you have to type .bin, remember it's dos.
also you have to use flashrom, not atiflash

afropuff

I was able to flash fine, but now I can't change my resolution. It is stuck at 60hz.

It is actually set @ 100hz in properties, but it stays at 60. No matter what I set it to or what resolution I'm in it stays at 60.

Anyone else have this problem?

I even used refresh force for the XP 60hz problem, and it is still stuck at 60.

Suggestions?

C3D GTO

BlackPearl

Is your display an LCD? If so, there's no problem with the 60Hz refresh rate.

Ombracol

emkubed said:
Mark another Sapphire success, unlocked, running at XT speeds, waiting on the winter to kick in to go a tad higher.

When I game I flirt with 70 degrees on the stock cooler, in a quiet case. CPU-wise, that's closing into BIOS-alarm-hot, doesn't seem to bother the vid card though.
What systen you got