• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 Pro VIVO to XT PE Bios Mod

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
Sounds like you have defective pipes. The only why to get rid is to go back to the orginal bios. Sometimes...omega drivers will clear it up, but is doubtfull. I had the same problem and I had to go back to 12p :(

-Dan

A

Azrael_NZ

Well, I bought a GeCube X800 Pro VIVO with the entire purpose of ramping it up to XT PE. I bought a Thermaltake Giant 3 for my old videocard, so I was pretty sure it would run at XT speeds. After the flash, everything went fine. 16p, around 40% speed boost. But it soon started artifacting. Most noticible in ATITool, it was kind like a grid of flashing white pixels. But all my games were handling it fine, only being able to see them when you look really really hard. But Vampire: Bloodlines hated it. It looked terrible, lagged like crazy, and then crashed. Reverting back to my Original BIOS it all went fine. I tried a number of XT PE BIOS's (3 Stock ATI ones, 2 GeCube ones, and a Gigabyte one) to no avail. I also tried the ATi Pro VIVO 16p one, but it still rooted up. I figured that I had dodgy pipes, and was fucked. But maybe not. For no good real reason, I tried other X800 Pro VIVO 12p Bios's (An ATi one and a Gigabyte one) and got the exact same problems as with the 16p ones, except ATItool only found 12p, so I started thinking what the problem was, and figured that it had to be a problem with the chip, or something...

And how do i tell if its 1.6ns ram? All the online specs I found just say GDDR3, nothing about the ns specs. Dont tell me I have to rip off the stupidly large hsf again, the shitloads of thermal paste just go everywhere.

So, any thoughts oh masters of the uber ATi hack-y ness?

nixus

Azrael_NZ said:
And how do i tell if its 1.6ns ram?
You look on the ram chips. Look for a number ending in either gc20 or gc16. This will indicate 2.0ns or 1.6ns ram.

U

Unregistered

After reading the thread I'm still a little confused. Has anyone been able to get the 16 pipes to work with the PCI-X versions of the card? I'm looking at the SAPPHIRE 100600L-Red Radeon X800PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102466) and am curious if this card has the laser cuts or not. Actually it's almost certain I'm going to get the card regardless as it fits my needs/budget right now, and I'm only really interested in the 16 pipes and not the higher speeds, but I'm wondering what (if anything) to expect.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Azrael_NZ said:
Well, I bought a GeCube X800 Pro VIVO with the entire purpose of ramping it up to XT PE. I bought a Thermaltake Giant 3 for my old videocard, so I was pretty sure it would run at XT speeds. After the flash, everything went fine. 16p, around 40% speed boost. But it soon started artifacting. Most noticible in ATITool, it was kind like a grid of flashing white pixels. But all my games were handling it fine, only being able to see them when you look really really hard. But Vampire: Bloodlines hated it. It looked terrible, lagged like crazy, and then crashed. Reverting back to my Original BIOS it all went fine. I tried a number of XT PE BIOS's (3 Stock ATI ones, 2 GeCube ones, and a Gigabyte one) to no avail. I also tried the ATi Pro VIVO 16p one, but it still rooted up. I figured that I had dodgy pipes, and was fucked. But maybe not. For no good real reason, I tried other X800 Pro VIVO 12p Bios's (An ATi one and a Gigabyte one) and got the exact same problems as with the 16p ones, except ATItool only found 12p, so I started thinking what the problem was, and figured that it had to be a problem with the chip, or something...

And how do i tell if its 1.6ns ram? All the online specs I found just say GDDR3, nothing about the ns specs. Dont tell me I have to rip off the stupidly large hsf again, the shitloads of thermal paste just go everywhere.

Try one of the XT 500/500 BIOS ....

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
After reading the thread I'm still a little confused. Has anyone been able to get the 16 pipes to work with the PCI-X versions of the card? I'm looking at the SAPPHIRE 100600L-Red Radeon X800PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102466) and am curious if this card has the laser cuts or not. Actually it's almost certain I'm going to get the card regardless as it fits my needs/budget right now, and I'm only really interested in the 16 pipes and not the higher speeds, but I'm wondering what (if anything) to expect.

Most of the X800 Pro VIVO PCI-E have had the lazer cut .... :mad:

A

Azrael_NZ

Urlyin said:
Try one of the XT 500/500 BIOS ....

The only ATi 500/500 one I could find was an PCI-E card. I have AGP...

But I did find a few others, preferring to go with a Gigabyte one and a Powercolor one. Not too sure If them shall work right, But I shall get back to yall.

A

Azrael_NZ

Well it still artifacted. The artifacting in ATiTool is kinda hard to describe, so I took a screenshot.

But I made a pretty imporant discovery. Final Fantasy 7 goes fine. No biggie. But Diablo 2 in DirectDraw goes fine too. Switching to D3D it immediatly roots itself. So maybe my RAM is 1.6ns (I'm not really all that sure, but everything goes fine). But, does DirectDraw actually use the Pixel Pipes??? I'm just not too sure...

Oh, took a screenie of Morrowind's water effects, in which you can see the artifacting only slightly. Apart from Vampire: Bloodlines, pretty much every D3D game looks like this. V:B rooted itself really badly. As did D2...

U

Unregistered

frustration much!

Ok, I have tried flashing my powercolor x800 pro vivo, but it refuses to flash. No error messages or anything, it just goes through the procedure, but doesnt change the bios. I run the -l command and it came up serial rom locked, does this have anything to do with it. I am using the modified flashrom from w11zard and bioses from this site. Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks guys - pete...

U

Unregistered

ahahhah sorted

nevermind got it sorted. 16 glorious pipes, 0 artifacts! thanks guys
pete...

wolfran

I have a question regarding this bios flashing thing.
Well, I just bought a MSI X800pro VIVO and have successfully enabled the 16 pipelines by using the ATI X800pro VIVO 16P bios with no problems whatsoever. I'm very grateful to W1zzard for this.

My question: is it better to leave the bios with this ATI bios or should I flash it back to the original MSI bios while still enabling the 16 pipelines?
My worry is that bios is the one that driving the functions and features of a hardware. Now if I keep this ATI bios will I lose image quality or some other functions/features that MSI has but not ATI?

U

Unregistered

Azrael_NZ said:

There is no guarantee that the cards the downloaded bios files came from and your card have the same block of four pipelines faulty, those 12p bioses are probably switching four of the good pipelines off. For various reasons I was not able to back up my Gecubes bios, and am now having to find one that switches the right four pipelines off just in case I need to revert to 12p later, although all the games that I have run including Bloodlines are fine.

Cisko

did someone succed the hardmod on laser cut ??? and get the 16 pipe stable on a sapphire x800pro vivo pci-e ?

U

Unregistered

W1zzard said:
es geht nur mit einer Pro _VIVO_
ja es geht nur um das bios das du drauf flashst

Hi W1zzard.
Scheine irgendwie zu blöde zu sein,meiner Sapphire X800Pro Toxic 256 die 4 zusätzlichen pipelines "einzuhauchen!!?
Darf ich Dich mal bitten mir,mit Links,zu den Dateien die ich dafür brauche und evtl.zu ner deutschen Anleitung wie es geht,zu antworten??Ich möchte NUR die 16 Pipelines nutzen können und nicht die Karte hochtakten oder ne XT draus machen,da die Karte ja einiges selber hochtaktet!
Ich wäre Dir sehr dankbar dafür!

Gruß
Der Unregistered User "Bueller"

U

Unregistered

W1zzard said:
es geht nur mit einer Pro _VIVO_
ja es geht nur um das bios das du drauf flashst

Hi W1zzard.
Scheine irgendwie zu blöde zu sein,meiner Sapphire X800Pro VIVO Toxic 256 die 4 zusätzlichen pipelines "einzuhauchen!!?
Darf ich Dich mal bitten mir,mit Links,zu den Dateien die ich dafür brauche und evtl.zu ner deutschen Anleitung wie es geht,zu antworten??Ich möchte NUR die 16 Pipelines nutzen können und nicht die Karte hochtakten oder ne XT draus machen,da die Karte ja einiges selber hochtaktet!
Ich wäre Dir sehr dankbar dafür!

Gruß
Der Unregistered User "Bueller"

obvious

I've seen reports that the x800 pro's now have the fourth quad (pipelines 13-16) burned out to prevent modding but don't know if this is just a rumour so I wonder if any of the current PCI-E lineup at newegg would be worth trying?

http://tinyurl.com/8eo6g (newegg.com)

Thanks !

nixus

I got one and I haven't had any luck, either with soft or hard mod. I won't be buying anymore x800 pro pci-e vivos in hopes of that mod. Card's great though - runs xt pe bios stable @ 520/560.

A

Azrael_NZ

Unregistered said:
There is no guarantee that the cards the downloaded bios files came from and your card have the same block of four pipelines faulty, those 12p bioses are probably switching four of the good pipelines off. For various reasons I was not able to back up my Gecubes bios, and am now having to find one that switches the right four pipelines off just in case I need to revert to 12p later, although all the games that I have run including Bloodlines are fine.

So I'm fucked then...
Great. Oh, and I know that the card can handle XT PE speeds. Cranked both GPU and RAM voltages up to 650MHz each, and ATiTool only artifacted a little after about 10 mins.

obvious

Just got a Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO and it has this core :-

It doesn't look good :(

U

Unregistered

Azrael_NZ said:
So I'm fucked then...
Great. Oh, and I know that the card can handle XT PE speeds. Cranked both GPU and RAM voltages up to 650MHz each, and ATiTool only artifacted a little after about 10 mins.
I d/led all the x800 pro vivo agp bioses and tried then one after the other (Gigabyte and ASUS required a repair reinstall of the ATI control panel) and found on the ninth try a bios that gave me 12 pipelines with no artifacting. I don't know how many times a card can be safely flashed but it should be quite a few.
I would assume that doing a second atiflash (with a bios from the cards manufacturer), this time without -newbios would allow the manufacturer data to be reset without the pipelines being affected by the second flash.

A

Azrael_NZ

Unregistered said:
I d/led all the x800 pro vivo agp bioses and tried then one after the other (Gigabyte and ASUS required a repair reinstall of the ATI control panel) and found on the ninth try a bios that gave me 12 pipelines with no artifacting. I don't know how many times a card can be safely flashed but it should be quite a few.
I would assume that doing a second atiflash (with a bios from the cards manufacturer), this time without -newbios would allow the manufacturer data to be reset without the pipelines being affected by the second flash.

No no no. I have a 12 pipe GeCube X800 Pro VIVO bios on it now, the one it came with. It goes fine. But I'm still after 16p...