• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800XT AIW AGP driver problem.

Bluefront

I had to RMA my first X800XT AIW AGP.......failed after a few weeks. I installed the second card without changing any software, since the the first card was working ok (XP Pro on an AOPEN board with an intel chipset). Well that didn't work, since the new card would not use the old drivers. Well I removed all ATI software with the ATI removal tool and started fresh. Still couldn't get the card to work, either with the included CD, or with the current version software.

So I reinstalled XP Pro and tried again......nothing but XP SP2, and .Net 2.0, required to use the latest software. Still no go. I can install the drivers, but after a few boots, the card is not recognized and XP asks for the driver again. I have never been able to get MMC to work, since the video driver is not working correctly.

Question....what driver version works with this card, and what version of the MMC?

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Ok I have this issue too(AWI X1800XT), havent looked into it yet. It works untill I install SP2 or do Driver updates (Can't remember which one it was) Any how I can't watch TV or listen to the radio.

First you need to run this http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp to make sure you have good memory, I have had the same issue as you are having(Driver won't stay) and it was bad system memory.

Bluefront

Humm....I'm not alone then. No TV, no FM, cannot play videos from the HD either. I reinstalled my AIW 2006 and everything works fine. Thanks for the tip......

Bluefront

Add this to the FWIW dept......i got the problem fixed. I used the latest Omega driver, plus I had to change the refresh rate to 70Hertz. The monitor is an LCD, and it has worked fine at 60Hertz with every other card. For some reason the overlay wasn't working properly at 60Hertz...trying to look at any sort of video would crash the app. And I had that driver recognition problem with all the ATI drivers I could find, which the Omega driver fixed.

You just never know.....

zazazoom

Solution

I'd go through the steps for a *clean* install, but ensuring to get the latest SiS GART driver (1.21 or 1.22 I believe) prior. I'd do the following:
1) Download, but don't install the full Cat 6.9 + CCC bundle and have it handy (desktop for example)
2) Download, install, but DONT RUN- Driver Cleaner Pro (www.drivercleaner.net).
3) Download, but don't install SiS GART AGP driver from http://www.sis.com/download/. Just click Windows XP, AGP (GART), then AGP (GART) driver. Download and leave handy.

Now, go into Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and uninstall each of the following you may have, but don't reboot when prompted. Just keep on going until the last uninstall. Don't worry about any of these you may or may not have, just do in this order what you DO have:
Ray Adams ATI Tray Tools
GuidePlus+
ATI Remote Wonder
ATI Multimedia Center
ATI DVD Decoder
AVIVO Codecs
ATI Parental Controls and Encoder
ATI Control Panel
ATI Catalyst Control Center
ATI Display Drivers (click Select All, then ok.. then no to reboot)
ATI Software Uninstall Utility

After this, you may now restart the computer... BUT, restart in Safe Mode (press F8 after POST tests and select Safe Mode). Pick Administrator.

Now, navigate to C:, Program Files, Driver Cleaner Pro (or wherever you have installed this) and run it as administrator. Pick multiple cleaning filters and select ALL ATI entries. Then start the cleaner.

Once it completes, go ahead and reboot in Normal Mode as per usual.

Now-
1) Install the SiS AGP Gart drivers, reboot.
2) Install Cat V6.9 drivers plus CCC. Reboot.
3) Hit www.microsoft.com/directx. Click the "Get latest version of DirectX" link and download the web installer. Let it run it's course.
4) Reboot once more, even if it does not ask you to.
5) On this reboot, launch the CCC and visit the SmartGART tab. See if you have AGP writes/reads enabled. Don't try to force anything- just note the settings.

It would also be useful to see if you're getting the 3d preview to work at this stage as well.

From here, we can help you install the multimedia stuff, tools/tweakers and the like.

Bluefront

Arrg.....I can't believe you have to go through all those hoops just to get this card working normal. I don't over-clock or anything, and rarely play games. I am just after a stable system that can do the MMC things. How on earth did anybody figure out that list of install procedures?

My 2006 AIW installs without problems, and everything works.

I'm starting to have at least one new problem with the Omega driver setup with this X800XT AIW.......after watching TV for a while, the app crashes, the TV display freezes, and the computer will not reboot. Happened three times in two days.....

System Name Half-fucked overclockedd
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k 3.40Ghz @ 4.20Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte P67 UD7 B3
Cooling Antec Kuhler H2O 920
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8GB X2 1866Mhz (Model F3-2133C9D-16GXH)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti Extreme Edition
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB / Western Digital Black Cavier 2TB X2
Display(s) Dell U2715H 2560X1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W
Mouse Logitech G510
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur Spectrum
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional
Have you tried testing on a new rig? Sounds like the problem lies with the hardware.

Bluefront

No I haven't tried it in any other computer. This is a very stable system I'm puting together. The video card is my last problem area. I wanted DVI, and a TV tuner. This single card is perfect. I have an 8500AIW DV that fills the bill, but it's pretty old, and the multimedia connector always comes loose.

I'll keep working at it. :)