• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XIGMATEK Overtake is an Airy, See-through Monster of a Case

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Have any of you ever tested a huge case with 14 fans in total, i see answers here which raise my eyebrows about some here.
The pressure of 200 mm fans are often much higher than the small fans, unless you have them loose in the case.
If you have so many fans the air being moved is so darn high that people complain about it, several loud mouth overclockers who came to fix an OC issue with my intel system where stunned.
Most of them confirmed getting cold legs next to the beast, you really feel it.
On hot days it very nice to sit next to the machine, but on cold days most people avoid being near the machine.
I actually had some issues with the ladies, because they got the cold air under their skirts ( what is so cold here, can you turn it off ).

They never ever felt how much cold air a good full tower case with lots of fans can produce.
Sometimes i think its pure overkill, but on hot days its the place where many people want to sit close to.
This is only possible if the air is well directed in the case. So cases which have loads of mesh on them actually do not allow the flow to be directed that much.
I was also very surprised at the lack of interest of these people for good airflow, they never had tested any of the fan positions and never tried to see which do give the highest result.
Even now some keep saying that larger rads do cool better than a dual side duo fan rad, i have proven them over and over again that this construction does cool the best in almost any rad setup. The same goes for the better air coolers those beat any rad setup in almost every point in silence and better cooling. I do not have to give names because you can find the best aircoolers pretty easy yourself.

Most of the guys who came at my house just place the fans as a colorfull piece of bling, and did care only about the leds or the lack of them on my fans.
But to get fans working the best way, it needs alot of testing and moving around the fans to get the best result.
Ofcourse if your budget is limited, you will not buy such a case and to be honest it will become less important in coming years.
Untill heat becomes a problem again in the constant shrinking chips, but fact is i hardly see any system anymore with 2 to 4 gpu inside.
Simply because the performance of one card has increased alot, most do not need more than 1 card anymore.
Unless one wants to play at full 4k or higher on a large screen, which is still not possible at max settings.
Even if you own 2 of those silly expenssive 2080ti cards, yes my mate has them and let me build his system.
Anyway what baffled me as well was that the guys answered, its too much work to test it out like you do.
As i said earlier they cared more about the looks, than about good cooling.
Ofcourse dry ice is fun but that will not run hours and hours or like my system 24/7/365 it only is switched off if it really is needed.
Because it partially is acting as a server for several game projects as well.
I do admit that i actually want a new one because if i have to move this steel monster my back is complaining.
We tried to put it on a scale but it simply is too large to get a proper measure.
That was a long and rambling post with a lot of... oddness in it. It's not weird if people feel cold next to a source of airflow - wind chill due to perspiration and the general water content of human skin (not to mention the temperature differential between human body temperature and most indoor air) explains that. This will obviously drop the temperature of your skin, but not below ambient unless said ambient is extremely hot (and if not, then you're looking at hypothermia if your skin temperature is anywhere approaching ambient).

Cooling anything below ambient temperatures with airflow alone, though, is impossible. Period. Thermal transfer works by thermal energy moving from where there is a lot of it (something hot) to where there is less of it (something less hot). The bigger the difference the faster the transfer, generally. If two things are the same temperature, there is no thermal transfer between them. And if your CPU was indeed colder than ambient (say you had it in the freezer and took it out) putting lots of airflow across a heatsink connected to it would serve to heat it up faster, not keep it cool for longer. So while what you're saying about feeling cold next to your PC is entirely plausible, your tale about it being colder than the air in the room is pure nonsense.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
That was a long and rambling post with a lot of... oddness in it. It's not weird if people feel cold next to a source of airflow - wind chill due to perspiration and the general water content of human skin (not to mention the temperature differential between human body temperature and most indoor air) explains that. This will obviously drop the temperature of your skin, but not below ambient unless said ambient is extremely hot (and if not, then you're looking at hypothermia if your skin temperature is anywhere approaching ambient).

Cooling anything below ambient temperatures with airflow alone, though, is impossible. Period. Thermal transfer works by thermal energy moving from where there is a lot of it (something hot) to where there is less of it (something less hot). The bigger the difference the faster the transfer, generally. If two things are the same temperature, there is no thermal transfer between them. And if your CPU was indeed colder than ambient (say you had it in the freezer and took it out) putting lots of airflow across a heatsink connected to it would serve to heat it up faster, not keep it cool for longer. So while what you're saying about feeling cold next to your PC is entirely plausible, your tale about it being colder than the air in the room is pure nonsense.
Beat me to it! I was at work trying to wrap my head around these statements all day. In my mind it was like "CPU temps under ambient without LN2 or dry ice? Okay... where should I start?" I mean, all I did was ask about how he could be getting sub-ambient temps, only using... the air in the room. What I got was a bit... unexpected :laugh:

I know all about what fans do. In very hot, desperate times, I've learned about what arrays of BIG box fans do. My conclusion... they move the air around. And they dry things... like puddles and sweat.

I mean, I have lived in south florida all of my life! I only WISH it was true that the air coming out of the fan was cooler than the air coming in! That would be amazing. You can ask anybody who's been stuck with no AC in subtropical south florida what their opinions on fans are, and most will say "Eh, they mostly just move the air around." No joke, it's basically a down-home saying, passed on for generations. Because when the air in the room is a literal 90F and you sit in front of the fan, it's really hard not to notice that the air blowing over you is still hot. Obviously, YOU feel a little cooler because it's helping the sweat evaporate and pull a little heat off of your skin, but you don't need to be a physicist to understand that all it's doing is blowing that same hot air over you. :p

I could also add that it's a little off to assume people here don't care about airflow, when most people on here's number one criticism of cases today is that many of them completely ignore airflow for style. It's also interesting that he assumes budget is why people don't want giant, desk sized cases for their gaming/general-use machines. Most people just favor something practical that cools effectively enough and does so quietly. You don't need a massive case for that. Good coolers on your CPU and GPU paired with a decent airflow setup will do that... with 4-6 fans max, a lot of times. I cooled my 2600/2060 build with just two intakes and it was dead quiet with very good temperatures running sensible overclocks. And to get there, it took some planning, testing, tweaking, and swapping... just gradually trying to get everything working together as effectively as possible.

People actually do put some time and thought into balancing it, you know? There's some skill in taking a case that's not built ONLY for airflow and setting things up to still keep it running quiet and keeping everything cool enough to not throttle. It's not so bad to have a well-performing build that cools good, and looks good doing it, with a low footprint! The only downside is that the air coming will be hot, because there's not a lot of volume for the heat energy to disperse across, so it won't cool the ladies' legs off at all when they wear skirts. Personally I don't consider that a downside but to each their own. As long as the heat is moving out of the case I am happy. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry... that was too weird for me to not say something. Why would you mention that in a serious way, ever? I say some weird stuff, but man...

If you wanna go ham overclocking, that's one thing. I can give him that... not many here are doing that, though I can think of a few who do and have for over a decade. Most others adapt that same knowledge to their own needs. But that's kind of always been the case, pretty much everywhere. People mostly just want to build nice machines with hand-selected parts that run in an optimal and balanced way, with a nice compromise on performance and stability. The idea is to avoid overkill, not dive-in head first. To equate that goal with a lack of knowledge is... interesting in that I feel like it takes a decent understanding of how things work to even want to do that in the first place. But I guess in this case that somehow translates to "Everybody just mindlessly throws their builds together."

I also find it hard to believe there are actually that many people out there who only buy fans for LED's. That's more because they're prevalent. You see them everywhere, because they ARE everywhere. The more prevailing opinion here seems to be that LED fans are overpriced. A lot of Noctua lovers here. I mean, yeah, people like making their builds look nice. Count me in on that, but it doesn't mean nobody cares about actually building a good machine and setting it up properly lol. I mean, what's the point if your build sucks? Nobody's gonna care about that! They're just going to point and laugh.

The idea that the best air coolers will beat out a real custom loop is... well I guess there's some room for debate due to the variation. But it's not hard to build a loop that significantly outpaces air. That's not exactly new. AIO's might be a different story, but even some of those can give the widely-regarded best a run for their money, and can even be more favorable in certain airflow-limited situations, where you can't rely on air moving through the case getting where it needs to go, but can still get plenty of good air through the radiator. It's just a different way of solving the same problem.

It all just reads to me like "You guys just aren't obsessed enough with air cooling to get sub-ambient temperatures in a gigantic case, like I do! Geez, times have changed!" Just seemed to come out of nowhere.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I say some weird stuff, but man...
such diatribes require you wear your purple barney helmet while typy-ing. :respect:

and a tinfoil hat to read them...