• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XPS 9570 Power Throttling after W10 clean install

Balcari

Hi all,
I was a happy owner of a dell XPS 9570, i7-8750H/GTX 1050Ti until I did a fresh install of W10 21H2 last week.
Since then, even after double checking drivers, softwares, services, I have massive power throttling on it. I never noticed it before doing this clean install. I have those issues even on a fresh clean W10.
W10 is coming from official sources, so not bloatware or virus there.
By watching a simple youtube video in 1080p/ or a little task on it which demands CPU, it reach straight PL1 and clock goes back to 0.8GHz and computer is unusable.
I decided to did some research and I understood that I had to install Dell power manager service, what I did and put Thermal management on optimized/ultra.
Dell Support Assist and Intel driver support Assistant gives me drivers up to date.
Then I make myself sure to have performance power plan in W10 settings with maximum processor state a 100%.
I decided then to install TS, software that I never used before and I followed different reference:
The general one for TS Advanced laptop tweaks (undervolting, overclocking and underclocking) (ultrabookreview.com)
But also the more precisely How to Fix Throttling on the Dell XPS 15 7590/9570/9560 (ultrabookreview.com).
I didn't do any hardware mod yet neither repasted my CPU/GPU since 4 years now.

I had to restore to factory settings my BIOS to be able to undervolt my CPU (because of plundervolt exploit which was patched in 1.16.2 : XPS 15 9570 Bios 1.16.2 out, mostly breaks undervolt, be aware! : Dell (reddit.com))
Even by having a -110mv on CPU Core/Cache and -75 on Intel GPU, P95 gets me to PL within 30 seconds.
I'm planning on applying those hardware mods here, especially by putting thermal pad on VRM, and the electric tape trick : How to Get Your XPS 15 Running Cold : Dell (reddit.com).
Here an image of this trick XPS 15 9550 temperature observations (undervolt + repaste) | Page 110 | NotebookReview (archive.org).

My C0% at boot is around 7% while C7% around 90%, I heard that some people are having C0% at 0.1 and C7% at 99% at boot so not my case here...Don't know what to think about it.
W10_profile_Perf.png

Here my TS performance profile where it hit PL and TL after 30 seconds of P95, with CPU hitting 98°C at peak (I only touched CPU core/Cache & intel GPU values ):
TS_profile_Perf.png

Here the TS Bench results under perf mode:
TS_Bench_performance.png

After around 5 minutes of P95 my 2nd profile hit PL1 too with CPU hitting 75 °C at peak (Same as perf profile but Disable Turbo checked):
TS_profile_Downclocked.png

Here the results of TS bench under downclocked mode (which I assume are okay, but I have Turbo mode set to off) :
TS_Bench_downclocked.png

Can you please give me some advices I don't know what else to do...?
I would be pleased to answer any questions if needed.

Thanks.

@unclewebb

Last edited:

pryinglynx.digital

Did your original Win10 image come from Dell, or did you reinstall manually when you were using the previous install?

Balcari

I download and burnt a clean W10 image iso on USB built with MediaCreationTool21H2 coming from original Microsoft website Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com).
Then I installed driver by downloading SupportAssist from Dell and Intel Driver support Assistant.
So I didn't installed it from Dell. Should I try to use "SupportAssist OS Recovery", the tool that I understand will help me reinstall OS straight from Dell servers ?

pryinglynx.digital

Sorry, what I meant to ask was before you downloaded the ISO hosted via the MediaCreationTool.
Was that original Windows image from OEM (Dell) directly?
Reason for asking is Lenovo and Dell have been known to put power limiting plans on their OEM images. They're not the same as a default windows ISO.

Regardless, you should check the support page for your Dell SN# via Dell support and looking for anything mysterious in the Systems Management tab, see below.

1657144273025.png

Balcari

Yep, it was Windows image from OEM directly installed on it when I bought the laptop.
Installing Intel Processor Power Management Utility hugely decrease the issues. It's almost disappear. Thanks a lot.
Does it seems that from now on my Processor is less powerful than before ? It's more accurate accordingly to my cooler solution inside my laptop no doubts about it but still.

EDIT: P95 Stress Test "Small FFTs (tests L1/L2/L3 caches, maximum power/heat/CPU stress)"
I'm hitting "TL" and "PL2" directly after starting stress test on "Core" for less than second then goes back to normal. I'm hitting "TL" on "Core" after 30 seconds (for about 15 seconds) of stress test with p95, "PL1" on "Core" after 1 minute(keeps hitting it in time), "EDP other" on "Ring" after 1m30 (keeps hitting it in time).
"PL1" on "GPU" after 20 minutes (for about 10 seconds and keeps randomly being hit from about 2 seconds after every 1 minute)

Last edited:

pryinglynx.digital

Installing Intel Processor Power Management Utility hugely decrease the issues. It's almost disappear. Thanks a lot.
You're very welcome.
Does it seems that from now on my Processor is less powerful than before ? It's more accurate accordingly to my cooler solution inside my laptop no doubts about it but still.
No, it's not less powerful. It's managed by the software, which can be complicated.

Hitting the TL instantly when starting a p95 test is normal behaviour for a device like the XPS 9570, as the heatsink isn't able to soak the large increase in voltage sent to the CPU via the power delivery.
That's why you'll see the spike on the TL and PL2 (Thermal limit and Power Limit 2). These are adjustable in ThrottleStop I believe, but at your own discretion.

Sounds like your laptop is working fine, though, the XPS shell / cooling solution isn't enough for the chip inside the device, which is the case for many XPS models, including my XPS 13 9310.

Balcari

I'm back. I got same issues after 2 days, less than before but still huge PL throttling with small tasks.
I decided to format PC again (for the third time :ohwell:) and I installed W10 from DELL with Support Assist recovery Assistant tool. So now my PC is running image from DELL servers. I installed two or three more drivers , especially the ones you mentioned earlier in this "System Management" category on XPS 9570 dell driver webpage.
Now no issues on PL at all. But I'm always hitting "BD PROCHOT" on Core and GPU on my i7-8750H. So my CPU is running slow at 0.8GH at 45°C average.
Support Assist gives me driver up to date, BIOS is up to date, and W10 also.

I just figured out that it seems when my power adapter is not plugged, "BD PROCHOT" is not being hit anymore. It's an original adapter which is charging my laptop very fine. As soon as I'm plugging it back, BD PROCHOT gets back.

pryinglynx.digital

This sounds like something within ThrottleStop itself if you're running 800mhz @ 45c. o_O
Can you grab some screenshots of ThrottleStop? Guessing some setting is applied to while only on AC power. :)

Balcari

I don't get it, do you think it's very hot for this frequency ? Or cool :wtf: ? I don't have any idea what temperature should be the average for this kind of laptop.

I can't reproduce anymore the error, it disappeared like magic...I unplugged power adapter 2 or 3 times then plugged it back and at the 3rd time, this BD PROCHOT issue disappeared and computer was running normally.

Throttlestop was turned off when I confirmed this BD PROCHOT issue, so it couldn't be setting from there which was causing the issue.
I didn't change thermal management plan in "Dell Power Manager" utility, which was set to ultra performance.
My windows plan was set to "Balanced" in Control Panel, without any changes made.

pryinglynx.digital

The CPU running at 800mhz @ 45C is running slow for the temp.

But its working now, despite the.. interesting trouble shooting. Stranger things have happened!