1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zotac Working on External OC Control Panel

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Aug 25, 2008.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Reports suggest that Zotac is working on - and seems to have prepared - an external overclock controller for graphics hardware. The device is named Zotac NITRO Hardware OC Controller. It connects externally to a PC and provides the user with a quick display on the card(s)' important measurements such as the various clock speeds and the fan's speed along with temperatures on a LED composite display. The user can control it with three buttons The device sits on a desk stand. It connects to your PC using what looks like a USB connection and installed software manage its controls over the graphics hardware installed in the PC.

It aims to give users control over the graphics hardware even when say playing a game or benchmarking the hardware on the fly. As a standalone device this device could be priced at € 89 in Europe and US $99 in the USA and could be out by end of October.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: Fudzilla

2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought this was awesome until I saw the price.

3. kyle2020 Guest

And the point of this is? We have software based overclocking for GPU's, just seems like another money grabber to me. FOR SHAME!

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    well, we've also got external fan controllers, external WC systems, external HDDs, and more peripherals than you can shake a stick at...is it really so surprising?

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    I think it's a pretty cool idea if it was a bit less money and/or it had enough unique cool functions on it that allowed you to control video card functions, like not only core speeds and fan speeds but if allowed voltage or other tweaks as well. However, I have a feeling it won't be able to do that considering voltages often are untouchable by any software and require hardmods just to do anything with...bottom line, cool idea but depending on how much it can do whether it's worth it or not.

6. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it can only do what other software can do, otherwise it wouldnt work with all cards (including reference designs)

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Baum

Baum

Thanks Received:
    @ wizzard

that means this device only connects to an software driver? running in background and thus it' just an additional display :roll:
    that won't work for me if my system is under full load atitool with it's small footprint lags :rolleyes:

if it was cheaper i would think that it's a good idear but during benching/playing i normaly don't change something as instability is always included :laugh:

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I agree with all the statements about it being somewhat pointless since it's purely soft-ware based. Like already pointed out, it seems like it just falls into the category of "nifty-but-not-worth-it display panels". For being software-based, it should cost half the stated price, at most. And that's mainly just because of the display. I think it might be a bit more tempting/nifty if it had a nice hardware fan controller.

Maybe it might be worth the price if it could access and control all the system components, like the cpu, ram, gpu, nb, etc. . . and do it well.

9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yep it connects to an oc software that has to be running while the vfd is active. however, you can change stuff with it while you are gaming/benching, which isnt possible with normal software

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't that cause instability though?

11. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    if it is use usb port , that's mean it is work under windows and you can back default sitting when you restart the computer , mean still need restart bios from chmos jamper