November 10th 2009
Please register on the forums & login to vote.
Stripped and sanded the original radio. Re-stained with MINWAX red mahogany stain (4 coats), polyurethane (2 coats), Mounted power switch on right side back panel, mounted cold cathode switch left side back panel, disassembled old PC chassis and re-painted with Black Enamel paint, mounted a power strip surge protector on the bottom of the chassis for plug in for the PS, Speakers and monitor which also allowed for extra cable management and allowed me to hide the bulk of extra wires, modded the threshold for the monitor to fit the 9" hole on the front of the radio, cut apart a CD drive bay and modded it to fit the PSU and was able to mount that at the top on the left, Cut apart and modded the HD Bay so that it too could be mounted at the top on the right side, Drilled holes in a piece of plywood in order to mount the speakers to the backside of the front of the radio, modded old 80mm fan grills as speaker covers, cut apart the mobo tray in order for some CM and to make it smaller to show less tray and more mobo/wood base.
This 1942 philco 42-380X radio was the first thing that my grandparents bought when they got married. This radio was sitting my parents garage for the last 40 years. I wanted to do a computer project but do something eco friendly. So i decided to take my old desktop PC and create this computer with that. I did not want to buy new parts or build a crazy gaming rig, due to the economy, my wallet and the fact that my wife and I are having our first child =D. The only thing that i had to buy was the screen. the guys over at shortcircuit.com were great in helping me out(thanks carl). This is more of a file server and backup system than a gaming rig or main desktop PC. In the future i will add 2x WD 1.5TB drives and increase the ram to 4GB. I also an in the process of getting my family crest engraved into brushed nickel so that i can mount it on the front of the radio, in memory of my grandparents. The total time for this project was about 50 hours total. most of that time was spent stripping and sanding the old radio. I wanted to make sure that it was perfect before finishing the exterior. I will attach 2 pix of what the radio looked like before and after stripping it down. I hope you all enjoy :)