1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Graphics going under?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Super XP, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Nyte New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    They got in trouble in the U.S and Europe for doing that. they got fined heavily by both courts for anti-competitive behaviour.

Obviously Id like to say that Intel has learnt to behave itself but no one knows what goes behind closed doors unless some whistleblower decides to make it public
  3. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
  4. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Go help Intel
  5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I think Intel would already have their own people....

Go help ARM - they could do with your expertise and experience as they are hoping to get into desktop CPU market
  6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Maybe there called Simiaccurate for a reason
  7. Nyte New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm a graphics guy :( More specifically, I specialize in PCI-Express :(
  8. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Maybe they will keep you but in the long run I think it's good to find an alternative.
    Nvidia maybe?
  9. Nyte New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which means I gotta move sigh (assuming I even get a position there) :(

I should have become a dentist... everyone needs clean teeth right?
  10. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Ok..... Im gonna be honest with you.

1. Gather your team - or people from other departments who you think will be useful.

2. Give them an epic moral boosting speech

3. Start a mutiny aboard U.S.S AMD

4. All get laid off (c'mon - you all had it coming anyway)

5. out of the group of rebels pick your right hand man

6. make a new company with the rebels guys you left AMD with.

7. Sell your GPUs

8. Profit!

Of course the mutiny part is optional.

-- Im referencing this plan to the guys who left Nokia to form their own company and made a new handset using the tech that Nokia never used.

I dont think you guys could call yourself ATi as AMD probably has the rights to it, but you'd be working in ATi's stead to bring back what was so awesome about ATi back before they got bought out by AMD.

Just make sure you tiptoe around any tech that could probably land you in court with AMD with their dogs sniffing around for patent infringements
    _JP_ says thanks.
  11. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    Two points...

1) Have you seen the weekly chart of AMD lately? It's heading well under a buck...and isn't coming back any time soon. The standard deviation from here would net you 10 cents a share.

2) A company that produces discrete graphics cards going forward simply won't make it. The demand curve is on the back side...

Smells like a strategic move to me...although, I don't follow tech companies, but I do read Charlie...not many realists in this sector.

I'll say it again...you're on the top of a Depression - dead ahead...

Best,

Liquid Cool
  12. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    No it hasn't. Just look at netbooks. A manufacturer can say that there's almost an equal percentage of models with processors from both companies, but guess what, when you get to a store, the story changes dramatically. At least here.
  13. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    AMD's new line of APUs are just hitting the market. dont be so quick to jump the gun my friend. give them time to grow and get settled
  14. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Lack of marketing and being late to the market makes that task way much harder. Plus, netbook buyers are clueless. AMD's APUs @1GHz or 1.2GHz (compared with Atoms @ 1.6GHz), and not clearly stating which are dual or single core makes it worse. Intel has established itself almost as the netbooks hardware provider (consumer mentality-wise). AMD either cranks-up its marketing, or they won't sell much.
    Then again, I'm basing this on what I see around here. I have no idea if this happens on other countries.
  15. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Consumer wise - most know the difference between dual core and single core. They might not know a lot but they know enough. most have enough savvy to ask if it is a single/dual/quad core netbook/laptop they are buying

they might not know everything down to the nittygritty but dont be so quick to lump all the general consumers as totally mindless when it comes to pc tech.

Dual Core Atoms have been on more netbooks then i can imagine - It is the standard. In the early days when netbooks were new to the market a single core would have been adequate as all it would be running was Windows XP.

My AMD E-350 is 1.6GHz, my sisters E-450 is 1.65Ghz (Brazo's APUs for netbooks go upto 1.7Ghz but meh)

AMD APUs are quite popular here in the UK. and there are a lot of ACER & Samsung netbooks with them installed.

and people that know about these APUs know they are better then Intel atoms.

Unless the Atom was paired with an ION/ION 2 platform then there is no way that it can match the AMD. though I do admit that the Atom is generally more power efficient but then its not an APU and it cant game like an AMD APU or run 1080p/720p movies like an AMD APU can because the CPU and the GPU it comes with are just too weak.

Even though AMD dont spend a ton of money on marketing, there are try-hards such as myself out there that know this stuff well enough to recommend it to everyone else and so the word spreads and keeps on spreading.
    _JP_ says thanks.
  16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Course those APUs pack more power than the Atom, both in CPU and graphics

17. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Well then, I guess the scenario is different here. I do my share of recommendations too. It doesn't surprise me anymore that most people (here) don't even know what an "AMD" is. They just want a computer. Whichever looks "prettier" will do nicely.
    Defib S3. I think it's stuck in limbo (HTC) but could be brought back.
  18. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    While this is true the concept of netbooks is going down. They are finished. People are either getting tablets or smartphones or if they want more, laptops.
  19. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:

I think that would demand a lot more capital to pull off. I dunno though... then again if investors started throwing their money into this new company that splits from AMD. who knows how it could end up.

I for one would really like to see a split. all of the old ATi crew need to distance themselves from AMD and push forward under their own steam. so long as they can build a solid GPU and can come out with some good tech, then im sure investors wont be far behind waiting to throw money at them.

Ultrabooks?
  20. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN

Thanks Received:
    ARM is a big bear chasing AMD and Intel in consumer market. Now it looks like Intel pushed AMD to the ground and is running away as fast as it can while ARM is eating AMD shoes already.

Of course, I am referring to the latest strategic choice of AMD to focus in low-power segment. Something they still have some foothold. But not very long at the development rate of ARM.
  21. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Another fail story until now. That hurts Intel mostly. Windows 8 will not help much either since it's more a mobile, tablet-centric OS. We are living some hard times for the PC world and the first to fall are the weaker ones, like AMD.
  22. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    sad to see Nyte adding some weight to this story, hope its not as bad as stated.

I do hope it all turns good for you Nyte i might add
  23. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    AMD needs better marketing. thats the end of the line. amd has pretty decent products for their price. not most of the people try to get the most bang for buck. its a shame AMD hasnt been able spread its knowledge. i can bet that atleast 30% of computer consumers havent heard of AMD yet.

AMD needs to market its APU line a lot better. just some demos now and then wont do. they need to increase the interaction with the base consumer directly.
  24. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Anti-trust conspiracy

Such agreements are wholely illegal. Capitalism should be illegal as well.
  25. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    and intel paid up for it once, if i am not mistaken.