1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Graphics going under?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Super XP, Oct 13, 2012.

1. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    also there was that thing with Intel and PC makers to not include AMD chips in computers or very little. You still don't see enough AMD chips about especially with Windows 8
  2. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:

The problem is according to the Sherman Anti-trust Act they should have paid TRIPLE damages. They never even paid the full damages let alone triple damages done to AMD in lost revenue. That is the proof there is no such thing that these capitalist pundits called the "free market". It is rigged and has been rigged in almost every industry since the days of the Standard Oil Trust. The basic law of capitalism is that the capitalist must maximize their profits. If that takes bribery, gouging the consumer, and even murder that is all part of the game. Every day 80 workers die on the job due to industrial accidents. in the US. Worldwide that number would be 8 times that number. look at the hundreds if not thousands that perish in fires every year in Pakistan and Bangladesh, where they are locked inside their factories.
    Point made subject closed.
  3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    If I am not mistaken Intel lost the lawsuit that AMD brought against them for this very thing and yet once they did win they dropped the ball. I think AMD should have focused on there CPU department and should have NEVER bought out ATI. We all knew some thing like this was going to happen when AMD did this it just took longer is all. Now AMD could turn this around with some real marketing or even selling off ATI.
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    One of the points of acquiring ATi was getting the Radeon developers and licenses so they could do the APUs. Most users (in general) won't need something stronger than an APU, like a 5800k so I think AMD has been focusing on the right things. Their marketing strategy sucks though. There are still a lot of Intel-only vendors out there and it sucks for AMD.
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  5. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. This is why everybody heard of Intel. Remember "INTEL INSIDE". This strategy helped convince consumers that oh, this must be good its an Intel. Though we are talking about people that think your PC case is called a harddrive, and don't know jack about components.
    Agreed. It's nice for individuals to OC and brag about it, but AMD's marketing department need to put more trust in there hardware and stop this nonsense OC'ing marketing strategy that ultimately voids warranty anyway.

1st generation Bulldozer may have not been what we all expected. But it still runs and does anything I throw at it. As generations mature, this will get better, until then stay away from Bloody OC'ing and concentrate on the CPU's strengths.
    trickson says thanks.
  6. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    man, amd marketing sucks so bad, i would work for their marketing dept for free.
  7. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN

Thanks Received:
  8. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    If you feel like discussing the underlying structure and "the game" send me a pm.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if the insanity of capitalism is the issue, but they are burning through venture capital and bank financing at an incredible pace and probably have been told by their creditors to make the move. I would have held back the news until a few weeks after trinty and vishera release so they can see if things are improving. I guess selling off ATI will raise money for them and since they have already milked that technology it buys them time to right the cpu business. It is extremely severe and means if vishera and trinity and their tablet ventures don't expand as hoped they will be in the toilet before next summer.
    I really hope this is NOT what happens. as I do NOT wish to have to change my motherboard and cpu to the over-priced Intel moniker.
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    From what I've read so far this seems like management is squeezing the company dry. Hopefully not but this seems to be almost common practice with predatory capitalism. I'll get worried when hardware stops releasing.
  11. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    It's 21st Century Neo-Conservative Capitalism at work. As someone who works for a big blue three letter company (although only at the base level) I can tell you it's not just AMD doing this kind of thing. These companies are all about cutting costs and maximizing profits quarter to quarter. If it means cutting a third of your work force, so be it. It's going to lead to problems down the road, but they don't seem to mind sadly...
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, hence the "common practice" comment. ;)
  13. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    It's quite a shame to. A lot of these companies would be doing a lot better if they just buckled down and invested looking forward. Nothing sucks worse than seeing production fab-wide held up for "Down for spending".
  14. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    meh who cares im with erocker untill products stop releasing or drivers stop coming i dont care untill then its nothing but bs

a company that fails must restructure, AMD has been constantly failing in certain regards it either fixes itself or goes under thats the way it works. Untill then i wont worry about it.
  15. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Yes the problem of this shorted sighted corporate policy, pasted on top of global financial crisis= global depression, is leading to a global race to the bottom. Wage cuts, mass unemployment, and falling per capita incomes plus fiscal austerity means the second global collapse comes very soon. It will be more intense and permanent. Only global war with mass extermination of the "surplus labor force" (the unemployed) and destruction of the means of production of your competitor states can lead to the basis for a capitalist recovery. The hideous murder of millions and the misery forced on the whole of humanity makes the alternative of communist revolution with the hardships faced in building a better , more rational, and caring world pale in comparison to the coming inter-imperialist war driven by rivalry. That is why the drive towards a police state and micromanagement of the work force is all important to the bosses and their state. They need a compliant and patriotic working class to buy into the global warfare strategy.

Watch out for the Chinese, they just built their first nuclear aircraft carrier and already have a handful of nuclear subs.They are planning to project their growing naval power into the Indian Ocean, South China Sea, and the Straits of Molucca where their oil tankers make the trip to the Persian Gulf. The Seventh Fleet will no longer have domain in that region within 5 years. That will be the tinder box for global war.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  16. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Yes cause in good times when money is rolling-in and business is good a company can maintain growth and hire workers but when times get tough and the business needs to be maintained while sales and growth arent there. How dare a company do with less to survive in a competative invorment during a global financial slow-down.
    :rolleyes:

Yes lets keep all our worker so we all go down with the ship at a much faster pace. Keep piling up debt and investors with capital will not invest. The possibility to get a loan to keep the company afloat will dry up faster. No-one survives and we are all out of a job.
    :nutkick:

How dare businesses act like businesses. Shame on them right :laugh:.

Time to go work pro bono. :toast: You mean volunteering doesnt pay :confused:
    james888 says thanks.
  17. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    This tell it all.

Attached Files:

• ship.jpg
      ship.jpg
      File size:
      121.2 KB
      Views:
  18. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    Nuts...

The market amd is aiming for doesn't care if the cpu is made by fisher price....all they want is the cheapest. And they buy once every 2 - 4 years. The small businesses and professionals want the best for their needs at the best prices. They invest in what ever and when ever it as long as itll grow their business. I sell more intel based laptops than amd....yet get more returns on amd based products because it couldn't handle the clients needs or multitasking. This cost small businesses time and money...something no one can afford to loose. Marketing is only 1/2 of the solution gotta walk it too. They should sell off their gpu business(so it'll survive) or stop the slow death thing and do a total ground up restructure and relaunch.
  19. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    When the working class is driven to revolution they will seize these businesses and the state that that backs them up. 30% unemployment does not phase you. Just watch out friend. A lot of angry jobless people out there are thinking otherwise. There is a quantum point of no return and the capitalist world is reaching it. Read my explanation of the global crisis and that it will lead to global war. This is real, not fantasy. If you were upset by Occupy Wall Street , wait intil the the s--t really hits the fan when the double dip begins in the coming year.
    Aquinus says thanks.
  20. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    The problem is they are laying off employees from branches unrelated to the problem. It would make sense if they trimmed their CPU division which is bleeding money, but they aren't, they are letting go people who have done a good job in their graphics division. My problem isn't them running like a business, it's the idea that companies working on profit quarter to quarter is acceptable. Do you think Intel fires crap loads of employees to raise their profits a little bit here and there?

Do you think AMD losing money has affected CEO or other Executive pay? I doubt it. They are unequally cutting back, by continuing to pay Rory crap loads to his excellent work, and cutting jobs for engineers in a successful division to compensate, how is that fair?
  21. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It's not. Unfortunately the people who probably should be replaced are the ones who make those kinds of decisions. :banghead:
    I was upset with what led to the Occupy protests. It all boils down to one word: Greed. It can make as much as it can destroy.
  22. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    That's the part that pisses me off. Good people doing good work losing their jobs so rich assholes high up in the company can add an extra 5-10% onto their yearly bonus, it's just not fair.
  23. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    That is a matter of ethics. Some businesses have them, some don't. We all know what the problems are. Solutions are a far harder to come by. Most proposed solutions I hear seem worse than the problem.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    It definitely is a problem here in the West. I know CEO compensation in the US is ridiculously high compared to other places. I remember seeing that news special about the Japanese CEO of the biggest airline in Japan, who cut his pay to like the median income of employees within the company, and declined his bonus because the company started doing poorly. He took the bus to work, ate in the cafeteria with the rest of the employees, and helped out where he could (going as far as answering phones and such even). You would never see something like that in the United States. His rationale was; "Why should I be rewarded if the company is doing poorly?"
    dude12564 says thanks.
  25. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Sad no doubt. I fear the worst but possibly old ATI could come out good depending where or who they end up with. I worked for a huge company that spun off our division. We excelled and made a excellent profitable company out of it. In this case I don't see AMD making it out alive for many reasons already stated. Inferior product, almost zero advertisement, The lack of capital to rebuild/reorganize, lost expertise (fired crucial employees), and even if they over came all of the above it is as obvious as it was with General Motors the ones in charge A. are incompetent or B. dont give a damn. Both of which ultimately run a business in the ground.