1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus crosshair v formula club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by skellattarr, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Very nice indeed. I am hoping to upgrade my HD 6970 to a HD 8970 providing its worth the performance boost per $$$$. Or I will just wait around for the HD 9000 series. :D

2. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    I didn't know they were releasing any 8000 series products. I thought ,they for some reason, were skipping directly to 9000.

3. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I thought I read that too, but wasn't sure. If that is the case, then HD 9000 series it is.

4. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Good to see you posting again. Do you spend more time on any other site. I spend a great deal of time on overclock.net. The Official FX Vishera Owners Club is a great forum it is sublisted under the general category of AMD CPU's. I also am in the Swiftech H220-H320 Owner's Club under water cooling. I have an order for an H320 with ncix.ca . The reason being that Asetek the OEM for Corsair and a couple of other AIO liquid cooling brand has threatened Swiftech for patent infringement. It is bull crap , but the cost of litigation is huge and Swiftech decided to pull the product from the US market. So I ordered it from a Canadian firm. The shipping cost was the only difference in price. ($13) it should be arriving at NCIX by August 9th and then they will ship it to me. Let you know about how it goes. The only real issue with that unit is the pump. It is powerful and has a tendency to create some air bubbles. So you have to purge the air through the reservoir occasionally. It comes as pre-filled all in one, but is expandable. The pump is strong enough to handle a second radiator or even a third.
    Other issue concerning me is if in fact AMD will issue and FX version of steamroller. That will not be established one way or another until late October to early November when AMD holds its developer conference, which has been renamed the APU conference. If AMD does cancel FX steamroller. I will not move over to the Kaveri apu as it really amounts to a lateral upgrade , not a real performance improvement over an 8350 FX. In 2015 Excavator will arrive, and if that is only in apu format then I will upgrade. That will be considerably better than an FX 8350.
    Tell me what is happening to my Canadian friend?

5. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    well i just ordered my ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 today so far my bank has just been charged next is shipping cant wait to get it.

os2wiz says thanks.
  6. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    i got my card to day it is really cool played rift on max settings temps maxed out at 47c low 25c. this card is awesome

d1nky says thanks.
  7. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    im seriously considering buying that card!

8. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
  9. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    that's what my decision depends on, I know a few AMD fans that will buy the 9970 straight away and bench the shit out of it. so my choice will be an informed one :p

10. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Hehe good call then!

I'm quite curios as to how AMD plans to name its next series. Will it be 10970, or a whole new naming scheme?

11. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Whole new naming scheme

Radeon R# xxxx

12. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    im going the res this thread to ask os2wiz a question about the 230mm fans on the rosewill case. have you ever hooked those fan up to the motherboard is it safe to do? i would like to know because i like watching the rpms of the fans.

os2wiz says thanks.
  13. nemesis.ie

nemesis.ie

Thanks Received:
    When connecting any fan to any board you need to check (manual) the motherboard's max draw from each header and the total allowed. Then look at the fan's amps (every one you are connecting) and see if it falls within that and add them together to get the total. Some of the larger/slower fans actually pull less current than smaller ones.

I've an NZXT 200mm here that pulls just 0.24A and some 120mm that are from .16A to .6A. A lot of fans have the current on their label but some of the "branded or included in a kit/case" don't.

14. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    ill check the manual to see then the next time i clean the system ill have a look at those fans to see what the amps are. thanks for the response.

15. nemesis.ie

nemesis.ie

Thanks Received:

NP. Good luck with it and do shout if you have any questions.

I'll be doing the same soon myself (and maybe getting the ammeter out) so I can control my new pump (D5) from the motherboard. As an example of researching this, I found an article that measured the current draw at the various settings from 0 to 5 (it has a max of 30+W which would be dangerous) but if I keep it at 3 or lower it will max at about 10W which may be safe and I canb run it at 3W 2 equivlant most of the time but have some "emergency headroom" available too - or at least that's the plan! ;)

I may just leave it on 2.5 direct to the PSU though if it can cope with a full OC at that setting. ;)

16. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't draw that much current. Though I had to remove the 2 top 230mm fans in order to install my Swiftech H320 360mm water cooler last summer. I still have the 230mm fan on the side of the case , and it does an excellent job of blowing cool air over my graphics card. I sold my 2 7950's to get an R9 290 a couple of months ago. It is running cool with its 3 fans and heat duct. I have not been so lucky with AMD Catalyst drivers. The official 14.4 release destroyed my 2 win 8.1 ssd partitions. When I say destroyed, I mean it corrupted them so badly that I could not use my restore points and had to reinstall everything from scratch. Still having issues with them and 3D Mark Advanced in Firestrike Extreme mode. It crashes at the very end of the test on the last frame pf mixed
    yet the it keeps reporting frame rates going up to crazy high levels liek 542 frame sper second. Had to do a hard reboot to exit that disaster.

17. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    a good backup program to use so you won't have to start all over again from scratch is acronis true image its saved my bacon many times.

18. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Skellatar. I realized I had let my copy of Novaback Professional lapse, so I just upgraded to version 16. I will make image files of my partitions on the ssd's and creare a bootable restore disk. Need money to back up to some large and fast flash drives , one 64 GB and another 128 Gb.

19. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    do you know how much power all three of the 230mm fans pull? i havnt looked inside my case yet i got a bad back so its hard for me to do.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  20. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    well i went through some pain and got ambitious and open up my case hooked all three of the 230mm fans to mobo and the two 140mm fans to mobo too all working well a bit quieter now. the 230mm are running at around 700 rpms and the 140mm are running at 1100 rpms

21. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    I remember you had iterest in that case when I mentioned I bought it last year. It is a heavy beast but wellbuilt with good air flow. Ihope you are enjoying it. I am 65 now with a bad ticker and bad back and psorasis. I don't have the same adventurous spirit to tinker as I did a couple of years ago. I still overclock, but my dreams about 5 GHZ are unimportant to me now. SYSTEM STABILITY is my first priority. TWEAKING is a distant second.I hope your back pain eases up so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.

22. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    yep i enjoy my case a lot but its realy heavy it takes me and my friend to lift it. about three months ago i started replacing all my hard drives with 3 3tb hhdd and my 120gb ssd kicked the bucket so in about 3 months im going to get a samsung 1tb ssd so ill have a total of 10tb of storage.

23. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like mine that one , im hoping to get beyond 5ghz with reasonable temps due to some surgery on Sunday , , hopefully.

24. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    hi super xp i was looking at your specs and noticed you have bios 1801. is your board a non z or a z? if its a non z then where did you get that bios version? on the asus site it only go's up to 1703.

25. Dionysus

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, the latest the non Z board can get is the 1703, which doesn't really do much, aside from adding better support for the FX chips, from what I could gather anyway. I'm new to the Club, and may get around to taking some pictures after I finish moving. :)