1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cable Management Helpdesk

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by tkpenalty, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Step 1: the one cable going towards your front bays. Tuck is through the top hole shown on pic 2 and reroute it back through the side of the 5.25" bays where you need it.

Step 2: figure out which cables can be eliminated and stuff them through the top hole as well.

Step 3: in order to keep your cabling in 1 place, you could move the HDD's upwards. Reroute the power cables for it like you did with the one in step 1.

Step 4: see if you can route the 24-pin cable in straight lines: From PSU to the front, make a curve inside the 5.25" bays and straight back to the socket on the mobo.

Step 5: front panel (usb) cables. From the front panel, route them through the 5.25" bays out sideways toward the right (seen from the front) and stick them back in the small hole on the bottom. If possible, see if you can even get them through the big lower hole behind the mobo.

Step 6 is a bit personal, but I tend to refrain from tying up bunches of PSU cables. Makes it look like a big knot imho.

Step 7: post new pics to see if we can help you more :D
  2. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    also try and take advantage of the holes behind the mobo for your front panel connections and route them behind the mobo and down to the connections on the bottom of the mobo.
  3. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    this is what i manage to come up with so far as managements:
    [​IMG]
  4. welly321

welly321 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So guys what do you think of this ??

[​IMG]
  5. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    the bottom looks very messy lol,well it looks messy to me
  6. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Unused PSU wires? Through the hole near the PSU. just keep em on the back of the mobo tray.

Used PSU wires? stick em through there as well if you're using them for anything in the front.

Front panel wires can be directed through the hole in right side of the upper 5.25" bay on top, then behind the 5.25" bays and if length permits, through one of those holes just below your mobo.

Now I know the hole near the PSU isn't that big, but I can fit the ATX, 4-pin, 8-pin and 2 Molex/Sata PSU cables plus a fancable through there. Just make sure to do the ATX plug first :D

Oh, and bunching up SATA cables is good, but do it after they run out of sight ;)
  8. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    :( my case it a MESS inside - I'll have to take pix and post them later - I've actually considered chopping out the cables I don't use and capping off the 'stumps' with those electritians wire caps.
  9. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    i hope you didnt want to loose any rma rights?^^
  10. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't give a crap about RMA rights.. too poor to mail it back anyway, lmao!
  11. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Warranty is for those who don't trust their own skills when it comes to seriously cutting stuff up :D
    beyond_amusia says thanks.
  12. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Amen!
  13. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    if i thought so i had lost exactly 140 euro...i used my legitimate rights, to return not physically damaged hardware to its buying place (in my case a relatively big internet shop), and got my board the third time, now they tell, it was heatbugged,died fast thru it, and i got revision 2.0 board for my old revision 1.0 (which was bugged, but not destroyed thru heat,read further)

i have literally screwed an asus 3870... i hacked several transistors off (with a very pointy, very big and heavy screwdriver),ripping a little line in the red pcb, i bridged them with pencil, and sealed them with arctic ceramique. the card ran half a year before it died. taking the pci-e area of the chipset with it, so not even onboard worked. i wasnt able to rma the card.... but i got my actual board back as replacement^^
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  14. FelipeV

FelipeV New Member

Thanks Received:
    A few hours and a lot of zip ties later.

Attached Files:

15. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Nice work FelipeV!
  16. GeneralDodo New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Tons of great pics of cable management on here.. gives me more ideas! =)

This is actually my first attempt at cable management.. Sometimes it just seems impossible to find a place to put the extra PSU cables. That and with mid-tower cases it's a damn pain to try and tuck them in somewhere out of sight. At any rate, tell me what you think.
    Any suggestions on what I can do about the bundle of cables i've got visible there would be nice though.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  17. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    try to reroute the 6v cables from the back through the harddisk-cage to you card, so i did
  18. DreamSeller Guest

lol i don't get it whats so hard about cable managment ://
    i love doing it... to others :D
  19. Ocean Master New Member

Thanks Received:
    Totally New to Computers

Hi There

Totally new to computers so please excuse my ignorance if I get things horribly wrong.I read that you require a photo etc but hope that my question is so somple to answer that this won't be necessary.

I have an Apevia X - Cruiser case with Fan Speed , Temp and VU dials on front of case. I've wired up all of the internal components and am ready to switch on but there is one connector from the front of the case which is puzzling me. It is the Fan Speed output connector whch is of the 4 pin Molex type but which has only one yellow and 1 black wire.
    Specs on this Molex connector are (0.23A 5 Fan Max 1.2A).

Having checked and checked I can find no slot to plug this into.

Can you help maybe please?

System Specs

Motherboard = Asus Deluxe M4A79
    PSU = Akasa 850W PowerMax 850
    Processor = AMD Athlon x 2 7850
    Graphics = Gainward NVidia 9500GT
    SeaGate Barracuda 7200 500GB hard Drive

20. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Hi and welcome!

If the plug you mention looks exactly like a Molex 4-pin, I suggest you wire it up to your PSU (Power supply unit).
    Yellow and black are the typical lines for 12v (yellow = 12v, black = ground) and, if I am guessing correctly, this connector is used to power up your Fan Speed thingy.

If your fan speed thingy has knobs and can actually control fans, it is not all too uncommon having to plug in a molex on it.
  21. Ocean Master New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still Troubled

Hi Thracan

thanks for the very quick reply. I thought the same as you did but I'm still very wary that I've already connected the 12v Molex Connector for the fans.This Molex Connector has an off-shoot which is labelled as an Output (0.23A 5 Fan Max 1.2A).

My best guess is that this is for the actual speed of the fans in the case and somehow needs connecting to the motherboard perhaps?

Thanks
    Ocean

22. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I can see 2 options then:

1: the connector has female pins (like a normal PSU molex connector) and is directly connected to the connector you used for your fans. In this case it's just an extension so you don't "lose" a molex by plugging in your fans.

2: the connector has male pins. In this case it's most likely you need to plug a molex in it to power *something* up.

If you could provide a pic it would be helpful.
  23. Ocean Master New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Pics attached .Apologies the quality is not so good.

1. Left Molex is the Output Molex , Right Molex is the Power Supply to the Front Panel

2. Pic of Left Molex showing Female connectors x 2

3. Pic of front panel

The front panel has a speed control dial which controls the fan speeds within the case.All fans are/can be linked to this one connector and each fan is then runs at exactly the same speed.

Thanks again for the help

Attached Files:

24. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I need to take a closer look. Does the manual say anything by the way?
  25. Ocean Master New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm

I wish it did.The one thing missing with the case when it arrived was the manual!!!

I've not been able to locate the manual online yet , although I've been looking hard.It would be great if I could find it , it would probably solve this riddle.

I guess I could still power my baby up and start loading the Windows operating system.As long as the fans are running this should not pose a problem?