1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can i use a gpu using mac

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by u2konline, Jan 12, 2011.

1. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    I want to build a mac computer, you know, buy a MB/CPU , etc , but can we use video cards using a Mac(OS)?
    What is the best way to about having a powerful computer using Mac?
  2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Urine luck! Some manufactures like Evga make a Mac specific card, EVGA GTX285 MAC edition.
  3. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are plenty of guides on the interwebs that point out exactly which hardware you should buy for 100% Hackintosh compatibility.

Here's you a start.

And be prepared to pay out the ass for it :rolleyes:
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Macs basically use the same hardware as PCs these days. I would dig around about how to build a "hackintosh" out of ordinary parts.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    Mac is only for enthusiasts, go IBM PC clone if you want serious software/hardware support. Build that i7 already! :D
  6. timta2

Thanks Received:

You can usually flash a PC card with a Mac Bios if you can find one. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are technically inclined. There is also the moral issue about supporting these companies. The reason the Mac cards are usually so expensive is economies of scale. They have to have someone write custom Mac bioses for these cards and I'm pretty sure that isn't cheap for them to do. Especially when you consider the lower numbers of Mac cards sold per market share.

Says the enthusiast on the enthusiast's site. There is little to no software (besides games) that is available for Windows that doesn't have a similar version equivalent or better on Mac OS X. Your argument used to be more true a number of years ago but is no longer the case. And as far as hardware goes, usually similar hardware is available, albeit sometimes with a slight delay and higher prices (thanks Nvidia, AMD, and partners!). And at times in the past hardware has been available for Macs before PCs.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  7. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry but nothing justifies the price premium for most Mac parts. The price difference is just too big
  8. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I'm confused.. is this the MAC bashing section? I want in!

lol

But theirs websites dedicated to building hackintosh computers (homemade macs) but wheres the fun in that... You'd be missing mac's biggest selling point! No not that crappy OS that no1 really understands, but the exorbitantly overpriceness for that cool apple logo on the side of the case.
  9. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but if you own a Mac you:
    a)Are rich out the ass
    b)Don't know crap about computers, and
    c)Were probably convinced it would make your desktop performance faster

They're scaling the price to the market. Rich people can pay a bajillion dollars and not give a crap, where the rest of us have to budget and make sure we're getting the best bang for our buck.
  10. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    ive built a hackintosh, using it now. The main problem i faced was which version of the mac osx you use. As different kernals have support for different cpu's and gpu's. Plus you need a motherboard that has an intel chipset, then theres boot loaders.

The rig in my sig is what's running it but i had to modify the kernal to run on my cpu, then i had to download special drivers as 4850's and osx arnt best friends

ill pm you if you want

If you research and build a rig from scratch that is fully supported then get the right osx and boot loader for that osx then theres no modifications of the osx to be made, the boot loader means no bios flashing is required either. Sadly i couldn't afford to do a new build so had to make do with what i had.

But it is ten times faster at loading up and shutting down, i think its the way macs cache files but running aps is exactly the same.
  11. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    yeah! mac bashing session!!!!

shite computers that cost more money as people dont know what that are buying!

wrap it up pretty and charge the earth!
  12. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that would be pretty much every section.

Or someone who works in the creative industry? Or who wants a powerful UNIX-based machine with all the bells and whistles of a consumer-level OS? Or simply prefers Mac OS X to Windows?

And, frankly, the fact that Macs are essentially PCs running OS X now and partly as such are priced much more competitively, anyone using these same old tired arguments from 1997 is the idiot who actually doesn't know anything about modern computers.
    ste2425 says thanks.
  13. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    tbh ive learnt that macs are great for anything creative if you want to game use a pc, dont get me wrong i use some windows based audio editing programmes but it is ten times smoother faster and more reliable in a mac environment.
    Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  14. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    OS X is a dumbed down more user friendly linux, which is a good thing. I don't mind hackintoshes, and this is what this thread is about right?
  15. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    exactly so please lets not start flaming how windows is great or how macs is great, and not try to insult people then hide it within an ambiguous statement. and stick to the point :)
  16. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    U2K is a huge gamer, so a Mac is a waste of time for him. He won't even construct a PC himself that is state of the art. The chances of him putting together a Hackintosh are nil. I remember Macintoshes, Amigas, etc from the early/late 80's. Very cool PCs for enthusiasts of those brands BACK THEN, but now, meh not so much. Like everyone else is saying in this thread, price to performance ratio is unjustified for Mac.
  17. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    nothing from Apple justifies the insane price tag *cough* ipad *cough*
  18. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    It was the first tablet on the market by far. What company wouldn't charge a premium? Apple gets such shit for stuff anyone else in their place would and in some cases do. If they charge more (and they don't so much anymore relatively) it's because they can and at least in their case the product is usually great and different unlike too many "luxury brands" for dumb people with more money than sense.
  19. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are just here to bash the idea, move along. Stay on topic, or enjoy the points; the choice is yours;)
  20. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Gaming on Mac has become much better believe it or not. I say a hackintosh can be done by him and he would even like it
  21. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    how many titles are available for mac osx? i mean games. I wonder if that will grow? The number of people with macs has grown considerably, every student on my uni course has one, so i gues it would be a large market dev's are missing out on. But in saying that i gues its an expensive process to make a game play on a different platform.
  22. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reason one sucked, I've more programs to run on windows, I've a greater number of tools to play with to create something. ( so theoretically more variables for creativity!)

I've never seen ANYTHING creative wise ( I assume you mean photomanip and video editing things like that) that a MAC pc can do that a regular one cannot.

2 and 3 are cool though.

How ever last statement is rediculous, that's the reason most pc enthusiasts hate macs.
    (I.E you pay up to 1.5 times as much for the same hardware :S )

Because they're BRANDED pcs and that's all. ( oh yeah different os too but hey, software can be made to run on most things :laugh:)

Now I'm all for "each to their own" but when people say macs are better than PCs ( in anyway, even just "creative media" it just really annoys me, they're both pcs for a start so at the end of the day it should come to do performance, productivty,price and ease of use.

The first ones are measurable ( £2000 pc vs £2000 mac. pc wins!)

So the only real deciding factor is if you prefer the OS. Which is more than fair enough, if I don't like an OS I try other ones too.

That or your just into cheap allu being plastered all over the place and the brand image.

/end rant. sorry!

:toast:

Incase this all seems to negative, I'm trying to say at the end of the day it's preferance.

Do Macs hold any performance crowns for anything by the way?

*edit* @ sneeky just saw your post, delete this one should you see it fit.
  23. IndigoGoose New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is true

You can use some software which i have forgotton the name of. To run windows on it anyway. So the statement Macs can't play many games is stupid. Also on steam when you buy a game you can click Mac version anyway.

Performance crowns i think yes the apps, booting up, shuting down are so much faster than a regurlar PC. And the general look and feel about the OS is brillant. Snow leopard would be a great example of this. :)
  24. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Most of them are priced spot on actually considering what you get. Size, looks and power consumption are should be considered features. Not all their products though.
  25. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Why bother with a Mac at all? The PC does everything you want and more and doesn't lock you into the DRM walled garden like Apple likes to. You also won't have any problems or limitations regarding stuff being supported with a PC and therefore working.

So scratch the Mac idea and just build yourself an uber PC! :rockout: