1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

*** F@H Tech Assistance Thread ***

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by BUCK NASTY, Jul 10, 2009.

1. F150_Raptor

Thanks Received:
    @msgclb, congrats on the 6903. The addiction is only going to get worse. Did you get the screen snapshot from the Ubuntu software center? If so the history might still might show what you were using.

2. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I figured out that I was looking for "Take Screenshot" function in the Accessories. It took some poking to find Accessories. I also found out that if you press the PrtSc key it opens the gnome-screenshot program with a captured screenshot.

I have one rig that I could install a Core i7-970 if I had the cash. I'm going to start saving pennies, etc.

3. F150_Raptor

Thanks Received:
    :DYou've been bitten by the bug. Now that you've seen how many points you get from one w/u, you'll never go back.:rockout:

msgclb says thanks.
  4. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    SMP 4 vs 8 cores or 8 cores@50%

Will I get better results if I run SMP with 4 cores OR run SMP with 8 cores but run the slider down to 50%?

Does this = same thing or is there a performance gain at 8 cores @ 50%?

5. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea. The rest of this is conjecture. I'm wondering if the V7 client allows changing the load level on the fly. If that is the case, I'd suggest that you use smp8 and slid the bar down when you're using the system and up when you're not.

jsfitz54 says thanks.
  6. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    I posted a question at F@H site at main link: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18302&start=180 , for this question, page 13.

I am hoping to get a valid reply regarding the use of the slider, as it appears not to work properly.

Any other insight to this question would be appreciated. I have limited experience in this area.

EDIT:::

REPLY FROM F@H FORUM:

Re: FAHClient V7.1.24 released (2nd Open-Beta)
    by 7im » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:35 pm

CPU slider works on 1 cpu core only. This tool is a legacy feature from the CPU client. Don't use it.

Use the -smp x setting to adjust processor usage. If -smp 8 is too much, try -smp 6. If still too much, try -smp 4.Please do not mistake my brevity as dispassion or condescension. I recognize the time you spend reading the forum is time you could use elsewhere, so my short responses save you time. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification if I was too terse.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  7. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried using Zodac's guide on version 10.10 and I cannot get neither the application launcher nor his HFM.net guide to work. I will see if it works on 11.04.

8. F150_Raptor

Thanks Received:
    I went here for the Ubuntu install and F@H.

9. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    That's the guide I used to set up my -bigbeta rig :toast:

I used a script like this in the past, to auto start Folding when my rig booted - NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE SAME ONE - but worth a try;

10. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    All of these Ubuntu installation methods must work or the OP would get an ear full.

I don't know why zodac used the shared library environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH but I'd guess you don't need it since all of the other guides I've look at don't use it. After doing some searching it looks like that variable is now out of favor to other methods on some distros.

It seems strange that so many of us have successfully installed Ubuntu 10.10 and you are having problems. If I was a betting man I'd bet you have some kind of hardware problem.

I've successfully gone back to Ubuntu 10.10 using the ext3 file system.

In looking for a how to my search turned up this guide.
    [Ubuntu] Setting up big-bigadv (P6903) for dedicated 2600k

I don't own or want to dedicate a 2600K to bigadv but he does show how to install Ubuntu 10.10 using the ext3 file system. I even followed his methods of downloading FAH6.34-Linux64-SMP.exe and setting it up down to setting up folder sharing and then made a few changes.

Can you put that core i7-970 in another motherboard?

11. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems I might have conveyed the wrong message, my SR-2 now is folding on Linux 10.10:rockout: the issue/s that I've come across is that Zodac's guide is geared towards version 10.04 or earlier. I tried it, got the 6.34 loaded and configured but the associated application launcher steps stinks:confused: even after editing ~/Desktop to Home/User/Desktop. Also, I remember getting HFM.net working under 11.04 with some guide from harlam but Zodac's once again had me scratching my head.

I will try both Musky's guide on [H] as well as the 2600K guide that you linked tomorrow.

Right now the SR-2 picked up a 2684 and will be done tomorrow. I will tweak it some more and try to get it to 3.5Ghz (at 3.1 right now) at least.

12. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    This is how I did my latest installation HFM.
    [Ubuntu] Installing HFM.net in Ubuntu 10.10

If it says to install the FAH client or HFM on the Desktop then I change that to my user folder just as in the guide above.

13. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    i dont seem to be able to get x16 WU for my 5870 despite a few reinstalls and cleans, every time i try i cant get a work server addy or return server addy? ive just been adding(and removeing )client-type advanced using v7 client?

14. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    It has to finish the first WU (a 511 point'er) before it can pick up a core_16 WU. Did you set it up like: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2248985&postcount=1508

shlesscamp and theoneandonlymrk say thanks.
  15. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    i had done the last 2 months on x11 WU on the 5870, i have now got it doing x16 by using the beta flag + disabling the physx card

before it wouldnt get x16 WU assign server addy then after reinstall as you say it needed to do 1 x11 WU before it would get x16(prob what ive been tripping up on) correctly which it did with a force gpu flag and beta flag but then the physx card started to do the work not the 5870 despite selecting the gpu in config

i eventually disabled the physx card now the 5870's doin what its supposed to do x16 woo cheers tho id forgot bout 1 x x11 first then x16:D

16. shlesscamp

shlesscamp New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am having problems. here is my log:
    http://pastebin.com/bYguBT8E

this is with a gts 450 at stock speeds. i ran furmark and it is stable even if i overclock it 100mhz core higher than what i have been trying to run it at in fah. when i installed i got that error about process 3956 and looked to find that there was another instance of fah installed from a previous time. i tried to delete the folder and it wouldn't let me, found it in the windows processes and closed the process. then i was able to delete that folder so i can confirm that no other folding@home stuff is running except for smp2 which i have set to machine id 1. i also tried fah gpu with smp2 turned off and still this is what i get. any ideas?

17. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    F@H GPU tracker V2 is what i sugest using after uninstalling old and deleteing f@h folder from Appdata in your user data folder its easy to set up too

18. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Are you running it as administrator?

19. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Is there a certain amount of ram needed for -bigadv? I know you need a cpu with 8 cores/threads like an i7, but wasn't sure if there was a minimum amount of ram that made it work best. Upgrading the kids' PC to Sandy Bridge with the Chimp Challenge in mind, and I still haven't bought the ram yet.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    I believe that 3GB is the minimum. The system that Buck just sold only had 4GB if you need a reference.

t_ski says thanks.
  21. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. The system has a 2GB stick that I pulled from my WHS, but I am trying to score a 2x2GB set of Ripjaws for this. I didn't want to have to buy 6 or 8GB for this.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    I heard they'll soon be selling RAM next to the bubble gum in the check-out lines at your local grocer. j/k

23. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I know - it's getting pretty cheap. A buddy of mine is kicking himself for paying nearly twice of a 2x4GB kit for his 2x2GB kits just a few months back. He's the one I'm trying to get the 2x2GB kit off of ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    On Aug 22 I posted this in our Folding@Home forum:

No one here had any suggestions but luckily this morning I found posts on Stanford's Forum for both of these WUs. Below are the answers to those posts:

From these replies I've come to the following conclusions:
    1. If you get a bad WU and the server won't give you a different WU then the only option you have is to shut down until after 8am pacific time.
    2. Even my first point won't work if the bad WU is not reported so don't do what I did and report it. If you're not a member of that forum then post it here so it can be passed on.

I'd suggest you add a quote from your FAHlog showing your problem such as I've added below.

I now have both of these rigs back up running different WUs on there summer schedule.:)

mstenholm and thebluebumblebee say thanks.
  25. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else gettin this or is it just me ? Been folding for a while using gpu tracker with no errors till now. No matter what I do it keeps popping up. Even when I pop up from minimize. Hrs later I see see it shows running but not doing anything. Its just hanging there. I just did a complete wipe out and restarted fresh and I re-downloaded latest version.

[​IMG]

Any ideas ?