1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FX 8350 or i7 4770k

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ANIR0X2K00L, Apr 26, 2013.

?

Which will u buy for a gaming PC

1. i7 4770k

55.2%
  2. fx 8350

28.7%
  3. wait for amd to release steamroller

16.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest going AMD then if you don't perceive much of a difference if only simply because AMD likes to keeps it's sockets around a lot longer then Intel.

2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    AMD lost the CPU performance battle years ago.

It's not just performance either. I've experiences less frustrating system glitches with Intel systems too.

Go with Intel.

3. ANIR0X2K00L New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude i am not just gonna play battlefield 3 for the rest of my life!!! I will be playing battlefield 4 and others to come.

And can i start some kind of poll so that its easier to get an idea of what people think is better between the fx 8350 and i7 4770k

4. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    guess I'm the only one that's actually going to vote. :rolleyes:

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    You mention you are planning on having this system for 5 years or so. If amd did 2-3 more am3+ cpu's would you ever consider upgrading to them?

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. toilet pepper

toilet pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am an AMD supporter (not fanboy). Most of my parts are from AMD as I started with a very cheap AMD board and an Athlon x2 240. I got to upgrade my processor to an Athlon x4 640 and kept the board which I eventually replaced with the one I'm using. After I had the budget to change my CPU, I was able to upgrade to an 8320 which I clocked to 4.3Ghz 24/7. The only good thing with going AMD is the upgrade path, you could move up or down a tier with the right board.

No doubt if I had the money to purchase an i7 and a decent board for it I'd get one. Both high-end Intel boards and CPUs here cost twice the price of an AMD set.

7. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    its been the opposite for me.

8. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I voted AMD because just about everything I own is Amd powerd

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I've had my Athlon II X4 since 2009 and there isn't a single game it can't destroy, I can't see it struggling for a long time to come.

The Core 2 Quad was just a solution to hold off the big upgrade whilst you await Steamroller etc. If you're content on a big upgrade I'd get the FX 8350 because it'll free up money towards a better GPU and more RAM whilst giving you choice to upgrade architectures etc. If money is no object and you are OK with potentially no upgrade path then the i7 4770k.

10. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    funny i had the fx4100/7950 and it struggled maxed settings on some big games, paired it with an 8350 and its torn the ass off games.

and op if youre waiting, id suggest to wait till the new components are out (like you said, wait till the end of the year) you can then ask the same question, once everything is reviewed etc.

11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I believe that. It's different for everybody. :toast:

12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    This go AMD because next gen consoles use it is utter nonsense. I know people still dig that underdog shit but when you have to twist things around that much to justify your purchase you know something is off. You see that PS4/PC comparison? Funny it looks better on a nvidia card despite the PS4 being AMD. This is a telling example because you know many many next gen games will use that engine. I'd bet the CPU was Intel as well. This comparison is completely ridiculous. I'd recommend a 2700k over a 8350 as it has both a power AND performance advantage, and yet here we're comparing it to the 4770k? This is such a misinformation and fan boy manufactured contest.

Let's consider the scenario where the consoles using AMD leads to an advantage for them. Even then there's is no chance of that performance gap closing.

qubit and d1nky say thanks.
  13. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    i cant believe we're comparing an 'about to be realeased cpu' to a two year old cpu!

i have the 8350, if i had the money id get the 4770k and run tri fire! if i had the money i may have an intel rig as well as the amd! but amd deliver performance for budget, intel deliver superior performance for no budget!

and lan derf ha has big point, i being a big amd/ati fan boy like AMD products and stick by it, but i also have a brain and a budget!

LAN_deRf_HA says thanks.
  14. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I was probably a bit heavy handed. The Crysis 3 benchmark is promising, but cryengine has terrible market penetration compared to unreal.

15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I'm an AMD fan too, but that didn't stop be from choosing Intel because I had the budget for it. Also be careful of you usage of the word budget. What you're describing is cost effectiveness. There is a difference between having a budget of 800 USD and 1800 USD and someone with the latter is more likely to get the hardware that's faster across the board because he or she can and would be willing to invest more. It's true that there is a point of diminishing returns, but for some people (and I count myself included,) that the extra cost for that performance and extra features is worth it. I would rather spend a little more and get something good instead of spending less and get something okay, that's just me though.

Also, I would like to note that performance isn't always everything.

16. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    There is nothing logical from what you state to indicate I4770K will be better than an 8 core steamroller cpu. Totally conjecture nothing objective at all to base your recommendation on. When steamroller releases, then you have a basis for comparison. That is what you should have said to be objective.

17. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    If it's for gaming, just buy what you can afford.
    At this point, either would be fine, as long as you have a good gpu.

18. LinkPro

Thanks Received:
    For CPU-intensive games like Starcraft II or many other RTS games I can see the CPU being important. My Phenom II based system suffers quite a bit in the late game after I reset the CPU overclock (used to be a 955 @ 3.8). Intel's better per-core performance will most likely be favorable here. I don't know if the 8350 improves on that, but for my next upgrade which will be this summer I'm probably going with Intel.

19. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Eh from what I'm seeing, theres a few games that an OC on the 8350 doesn't seem to do anything. I'm talking mostly about CPU dependent games like Skyrim where the 8350 seems to fall behind.

20. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Yes , Sky Rim is one of those POORLY Designed games that don't provide threads for multiple cores. I purposely refuse to buy such games and send emails to the design company telling them how ignorant they are for producing games without threads. Fortunately more and more games are being designed with multi-core design and perform well on the 8350.

21. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    If that is your decision , in my opinion, it is the lazy way to go. Until consumers put more pressure on game designers to provide multi-core support rip-off game designers will continue their shoddy program designs. It is in the interest of consumers to get off their asses and push for progress instead of archaic practices that hold back software design progress.

22. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I say this to every person who mentioned, this.

If it's so easy to make stuff multi-threaded, why don't you do it? It's much easier to say something than to actually do it. I think you need to know what you're talking about before implying that it doesn't take effort to do this. Also more often than not, games don't need to be multi-threaded and as you can see a lot of games that really need to be and games that generally speaking don't need, it don't have it.

The game shapes the requirements, not the other way around.

23. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It sure didnt work for SimCity now did it. They listened, and they threw the more-than-one-core-please request in the bin and released it anyway. The game sucked. They didnt listen to the consumers and make a change, they simply did what they wanted. As most other companies do.

24. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Really ,, right ill get started on the multi core version of k dog killer right away then , ill just go back to uni and learn comp programming and just give up my PAid job as a eng so I can one day play my own game that id have built, or you could get effin real.

ALL MOST all game devs are upping their prices for games and including extra cost dlc so I say feck em its Their job to inovate THEIR JOB , and dont talk such drivel aquinas.

os2wiz says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  25. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Probability of seeing poorly threaded games is still pretty high for the next few years, so unless you know you will be spending the majority of your time in games capable of multicore (eg Battlefield series), you are better off with 4770K. If you do know that you will be spending more time on multicore games, then its more or less a coinflip. They are both sufficiently powerful and performs similarly enough for you not to regret going either way. Or wait for Haswell