1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's GTX 600 Owners Club!

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by 20mmrain, May 5, 2012.

1. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it's because I have a somewhat high OC, but I've seen my power target reach 130% playing Dead Island.

To answer Finner's question further though, my card has been boosting to 1256 MHz consistently so far, but I've managed to keep it cool with my custom cooling. Highest temps I've seen so far are about 62 degrees.

2. Finners

Thanks Received:
    its set to +144 core and + 200 mem, neither of them are my maximum, just safe stable 24/7 clocks.

I run a custom fan profile to keep it below 70 when gaming but it still will not boost to its highest which is 1229 until it reaches 62 degrees.

if i leave it all at stock i think it boost to a maximum of 1084 but it has to reach 62 degrees before it will go that high, if its lower its slower

EDIT*

This is what i expect to see but mine doesnt seem to clock like the reference one TPU reviewed

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, that is odd. I have mine at +145 core and its boosting to 1256. What are you using to test your boosts? It really depends on the game, I think. Some might be more GPU demanding than others. Might want to try something like EVGA's OC Scanner. Using their tessy test seems to be good at testing maximum clocks.

4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Ive been playing BF3 and my card maxes at 1188, thats not overclock either, just out of the box.

5. Finners

Thanks Received:
    Just used OC scanner to get my card to plot and used Afterburner to plot it, each screen is taken when the speed changes, showing the speed/voltage and temperature.

All at stock

Initial boost,

[​IMG]

Next step up

[​IMG]

Max it boosts to, notice its at 62 degrees

[​IMG]

And then the normal throttle when it hits 70 degrees

[​IMG]

Do you think flashing my card with another BIOS would make it boost in the normal way? i have read about a certificate built into the firmware so dont know if flashing works on the 680's

6. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    From what I'm seeing that's perfectly normal (I think). It boosts to 1084 MHz until it hits 70 degrees, throttles to cool down, then boosts again.

If you want to keep it at 1084 boost all the time you're gonna have to find a way to keep it under 70 degrees. That way it won't throttle and stay at the 1084 boost.

I'll try to get some screenshots of mine in action as well.

EDIT: Here it is.

[​IMG]

As you can see its staying at my boost clocks consistently. Temperatures are rising but it peaks at 59 degrees.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  7. Finners

Thanks Received:
    ahhh thanks for that, i was under the impression that it should boost the highest at the lowest temp but yours boost and then boosts a little higher when it gets a little hotter just like mine does.

Mine does stay below 70 i turned the fan down the get to that temp so i could show it throttle.

Have you let yours go to 62 or above and see if it boosts another 13Mhz like mine does?

How have you got the bars to stay on showing the different values? i could make an all in one graph like yours if i can figure that out

8. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    I use EVGA Precision X to log my results. It creates an .hml file which I use Rivatuner to open and create the graph. Just click whatever points you want and it'll create the bars for you. :)

Here is my GPU running the OC Scanner tessy test. Highest temp I could reach was 65 degrees. At 65 degrees I was still pushing 1245 MHz boost.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought an Asus G55VW-DS71 last month and it has a GTX 660M kepler GPU :D

Can I join? ;)

10. JEJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an EVGA GTX-680 card with an i7-3960 processor, 32 GB of quad-channel RAM. When I play videos, I see an occasional (1 every second or so, sometimes more often) horizontal line that look like a break between the upper part of the image and the lower part, as if the video processor can't keep up with 1920 x 1080. I have not encountered this with older cards. What is wrong? It appears that the card is skipping a line in different parts of frames. It is totally unacceptable performance. I don't know if they call this shearing or what. I just played the video on my wife's computer which has a $200 video card that is 5 years old, and the problem does not occur. This sounds like a catastrophic design flaw.

11. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    Of course! Welcome to the club. :)

What you're describing is tearing. You're going to have to enable v-sync for your video player in the NVIDIA control panel. You can access it by going to Manage 3D Settings, clicking the program settings tab, adding your video player and enabling it from there.

LordJummy says thanks.
  12. JEJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is a screen shot of the problem. It's not a 3D video problem though, as this is just straight 1920 x 1080i video of flames.

JJ

Attached Files:

13. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    That happens to me but only with Flash videos.

14. JEJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's using Windows Media player which is already listed in the 3D settings menu.

JJ

15. JEJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is a Flash video?

JJ

16. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm quite impressed with the overclocking ability of this GTX 660M. It runs really cool too. Anyone else rocking a newer kepler based mobile gpu?

17. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Flash player. Youtube and whatnot.

18. JEJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are all high-end video cards of all brands subject to this problem? It doesn't occur on my old video card, which is a Radeon.

JJ

19. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    All are susceptible to tearing in games, but I've personally never had it happen to me so noticeably in videos before my 680.

20. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Zotac 670 4GB.

It'll be installed next week when I get back home. And posting a gpu-z screenie.

Pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
    puma99dk| and Maban say thanks.
  21. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    Is v-sync enabled in the scroll down menu? If not enable it and see if that works.

I've never had the problem on my 680 or 670s. Not even in flash videos either.

Congrats on the new card! Is it ok to show the last picture with the serial of the card? Just in case you have to RMA it someday? Unless you already registered it. Total noob at these things so please don't kill me if I'm wrong. :)

22. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    BlackPanther, JEJ, LordJummy Welcome to the club guys you all have been added to the TPU GTX600 Owners club list. Can't wait to see some benchs and reports on all of your new cards and chips!

LordJummy says thanks.
  23. JEJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found the vertical sync menu and turned it on. That fixed the scrolling problem, where rippling was occurring, but it did not change the tearing.

JJ

24. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. Have you tried another video player? I personally use VLC. Might want to try that out and see if it fixes your problem.

25. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll run some benchies on my lil' 660M heheh. I've been playing with it the past day OC'ing. It has really surprised me with its' power. It is competing with the gtx 670m but uses a lot less power, and runs way cooler.

I'll post some screenshots this afternoon. Thx for adding me!