1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's GTX 600 Owners Club!

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by 20mmrain, May 5, 2012.

1. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    It was kind of a tight fit, but it works. Did nothing to the unisink or mounting bracket, just followed the instructions and used this guide as a reference to check my placing of the heatsinks and to see if everything was in place. The only difference is that I used the AMD card screws (middle screws on the first picture) to screw in the mounting bracket. From what I noticed with the NVIDIA card screws is that there was space in between the GPU chip and the unisink and the only way to get them closer was to use the other screws. Might not be the case with everyone though.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for posting the apps :)

I'm pretty sure the CPU clock is to blame for the scaling on your cards, if you OC it to 5Ghz or higher your score will go up, as your GPU and memory clocks are way higher than mine's thanks to your awesome WC loop.

As for choosing between SB-E and IVB, to be honest with you, I wouldn't choose either, your 2600K will probably give you equal or better performance than a SB-E proc on real applications, as current games tend not to be so highly threaded, synthetic benchmarks tend to favor CPUs with higher core count, but to be honest with you, that doesn't necessarily translate into real everyday performance.

I'm pretty sure your 2600K can reach way higher clocks than say, a 3770K Ivy bridge proc, and match or even surpass the gaming performance of it :)

It's probably better to wait for Haswell ;)

20mmrain says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:

Yeah you are right on the CPU clock... I know when I up my CPU clock I score closer to 18k and sometimes surpass it. You while I do love gaming.... I also do love benching. So for me a better CPU would be worth it to me.
    As well as the motherboard I own right now limits me to 2-way sli or 3-way crossfire. At very least I want the option to go 3 or 4 way sli. Also PCIe 3.0 to dispose of the block at higher resolutions.
    I'll for sure take into account your recommendations.... but if you were gonna choose between Socket 2011 and 1155 Ivy which would you choose?

4. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    It's a tough call, if you want to go quad SLI there's some excellent 2011 boards like the Asus RIVE and EVGA's SR-2 among others, the only thing is, as of now, the GTX 680 doesn't support PCIe 3.0 on socket 2011 boards, that will change in the future once Nvidia decides to support these boards with their drivers (AMD already offers full support for PCIe 3.0 on X79 for their 7000 series, so it's attainable)

If you want to have a socket 1155 board that supports quad SLI you have to make sure the board has a PLX PCIe bridge, and the selection is very limited, you can wait for either the EVGA Z77 FTW, or the Asus RVE, neither of both are currently available, or you can try to get an Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro.

To me, the question really is: how important PCIe 3.0 is to you if you plan to go quad SLI? if you want to follow that route and be 100% sure your boards supports it, you have no choice but to go with IVB, if you can wait for Nvidia to certify their drivers for X79, then SB-E is probably the better choice, as chances are these boards will be able to upgrade to IVB-E in the future.

In my personal opinion, PCIe 3.0 is not really that necessary right now, as the 2.0 spec still allows for plenty of bandwidth headroom, so you may want to take that into consideration too ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Your Right PCIe 3.0 has no real affect single or Double GPU setups but 3 way and 4 way set ups do seem to have some use for it. Especially at higher resolutions.

3.0 Is not the biggest concern for me..... Benchmarks are. So in that case.... I would agree that SB-E would be the better way to go. There is more of an upgrade path there. IV-B is pretty much done with where it is at until Socket 1150 releases.

So maybe when it comes time to purchase this week.....I will be looking at a SB-E setup. I could upgrade there and still go to IB-E when it releases.

Thanks for the advice..... I knew all the options already.... its just nice sometimes to here someone else's opinion. Thanks again!

6. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
  7. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    ASUS says OUT OF STOCK lol

8. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    LOL They were there in stock for like 20 mins.... I tried to give people some heads up :) If your looking us the App I posted on the front page. It works :)

9. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    20mmrain says thanks.
  10. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    20mmrain says thanks.
  11. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Edited my origional post, added the pic.

I'm going to order an EK plexi-nickel block for it when I see one in stock for my birthday! =D

20mmrain says thanks.
  12. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Great rig man.... thanks for posting back. I can vouch for the Nickel Water blocks they are great. I had a couple on my 7970's. But if they don't get them back in stock by the time you want to purchase. Consider the Copper blocks.... I have them on the 680's right now (The ones with the black tops) along with the Black back plate.... they sure look slick and run really cool!

Sinzia says thanks.
  13. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know when the GTX 670's are coming ?

14. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
  15. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Launch May 10th

16. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    `It's coming in the mail today!!!!!!! I'm foaming at the mouth....lol.. It would be storming outside.. Watch me hook it up, n get struk by lightning.. Florida weather ftw.
    Skyrim and Batman, Arhcam city, here I come.. :D

EDIT:
    Here it is.. Oh joy. She is in and running right now. All is looking good so far. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  17. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Will the copper tarnish? I had DangerDen copper blocks on my 470's and after a year and a half, the exposed copper was starting to tarnish and discolor.

18. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I have owned the Copper blocks by EK several different times..... and never once had them tarnish. Although I tend to keep my video cards for about a year to year and a half tops. Sometimes as low as 3 months depending whats coming out. :)
    But even the blocks I have owned for over a year and a half never tarnished.... if they got a little dirty I just cleaned them.

Launch is May 10th.... Oops well I see you got that answered..... Anyway.... I guess this means we know what your getting huh? :)

No Shit right???

"What model is your new card (GTX 680)..... welcome to the club :)

19. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Ahh tyvm. :) It's an MSI.
    I need to get a gpu-z. I guess or it's not official..lol

EDIT: I just had to alt tab out of batman Archam city RQ, so I could say OMFGWTFBBQ! maxed settings and it's smoking a cigarette, while riding a bicycle, uphill, in a snowstorm.
    The card is a beat... a Beast I tells ya. I overclocked it too. :p

Done:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  20. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    Congrats on your new 680. :)

How's the overclocking on that card? I heard MSI cards are pretty good overclockers. We need to see some more single 680 overclocks and benchmarks. :D

21. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I actually just went reserved, for now. I only put 100 on the core, and 400 on the memory. With a 10% voltage increase. Idk if I even needed it tbh.
    Uploaded a video, in 1080p, to you tube, of Batman, Archam City, with Maxed settings and Maxed, nvidia control panel settings. "Where applicable"
    I don't like motion blur and the other one. Off by preference.
    Here it is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9VR1-RiFzY

22. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Wow.... Nice card man!!! Welcome again to the ranks! Can't wait to hear about further Benchmarking and overclocks.

I updated your Cards brand in the clubs list. .... Nah GPU-z isn't needed... either a picture or GPU-z will do to get in. Plus just let me know the name of the card. You did all that so your goo d:)

23. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, thank ya. :)
    Yea it's night and day from my 5850. I use to get such unreliable frame rates. This is so smooth. I am in <3 :roll:
    Downloaded sykrim last night. I'll have to do a video for that. ;)

24. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    Great overclock! Glad you're happy with the card.

Let's listen to this guy and do what he says :) I'll start with my 3DMark 11 (performance preset) graphics score and Heaven benchmark.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Just realized we didn't have an "official" Heaven benchmark setting, so I hope these settings will do :)

25. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Nice runs man.... I will answer with some benchmarks of my own when I get back tonight! Until then my friend awesome score!!!

***Hey You All see this??***

KingPin Hits 1400Mhz on Air cooled GTX 680

Good News he hit 14k+Mhz

Bad news is he had to hardware mod the card in order to go that high. For added voltage. Proves my point that Nvidia and their partners are holding this card (GTX 680) back so they can gain profits from selling Non-reference versions of the cards themselves.

I'll post the story with the rest of our links on the front page.... Along with this one....
    KingPins - Uncorking KELPER - practical guide for beginners.

Tardan says thanks.