1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, everything is stock. Just trying to get it stable. Either the memory is unstable or the uncore can't keep up with the 1600 ram. 1333 is Intel spec, so even at stock I'm still out of spec.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Well there's something fishy going on with my 555 and the 960. Numbers are off on those 2 which is why my numbers are about 2k down. I'll find out when I get home. It's the exact machine themselves as the partner rigs to them are ok. I have my rigs setup with one of the 1055's and the 555 together at one outlet, the 970, 960, and 4400+ at another outlet in the bedroom. And the last 1055t is in a separate outlet branched off of the outlet with the other 1055t. So if the all the ones on a perticular outlet are low I know somehow that outlet lost power and shut those down. Now where this is 2 rigs on separate outlets, there is either a problem with the rig itself or those 2 haven't updated for some weird reason. I get to go home and play with those 2 and see what the deal is.

Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I say memory maybe. What is your RAM voltage set at? Posting from phone so sorry if you posted that already, in the middle of working too. :(

Keep us posted on your findings madshot

4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Just ran 2 passes of memtest86+. Came back clean. I'm fairly certian it's gotta be the uncore going wonky on me. Gonna try more voltage.

Chicken Patty says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I found that my P55 system would always have some instability if my RAM multiplier was ever changed from the default 2:10 (and I have my MCH strap set to "with DRAM"). I am progressively lowering the VTT voltage (at 1.275v now) and it's stable as a rock at 173 FSB/1733 RAM. QPI/Uncore is at 3120MHz at that FSB frequency.

Chicken Patty says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Not the systems they are running fine. Seems Wcg is having issues. I was sitting on about 30 results when I got home. They have since uploaded. :toast:

Chicken Patty and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I have a dozen or so waiting to go in- it's indicating project server is shutdown for maintenance on the "Messages" tab in BOINC Manager... they were uploading/reporting fine less than an hour ago?

8. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    They started uploading around 7. I have 1 on the 555 that won't upload now. Seems there are back down again.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    All thanks to Bow, I got my i3 530 back up and crunching now. Its been down for a while now so it'll have to gear back up again. I haven't tweaked it yet. If anyone nows how to oc it pm me.

Still got one rig disconnected again as usual and keep forgetting to reconnect. Will do in a few mins. I bet it needs a psu cause i have a 6950 running off a 430w psu lol.

[Ion] says thanks.
  10. Norton

Thanks Received:
    :toast: :p :laugh:

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    i3 530 is socket 1156 right? I may know a thing or to about it from working with my x58, if you run into some trouble feel free to contact me and I'll see if I can help.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea its s1156. I would just turn HT on but I don't see it listed in the bios anywhere. these bios are kinda confusing. nothing like the good ol' days on the s939/am2 boards. I do see them running pretty good but not sure how to get that high. Its on an awesome evga p55 board so I know it can handle. Same board Buck sold.

13. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Okay, now I have memory randomly disappearing? It says 4GB at POST and in task manager, but cpu-z says 6GB. I have to power down the system, pull out the memory and put it back in to get back up to 6GB.

I ran 2 full passes of memtest86+ at 1600 speeds 8-8-8-24 1.65v as the manufacturer specifies for this chip, and it passed without error at 1.2v uncore (qpi/dram voltage). However, even at 1.3v uncore (qpi/dram voltage) I fail occt linpack in minutes.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, that happens also when the heatsink is too tight. Seen that happen before.

Happened to me, but in my case it was a dead slot. :(

I also read back when I had my X58 about changing some settings in Windows itself. If you didn't do that, sometimes it caused Windows to only pick up 4GB. It was a known X58 issue. But for the love of god I don't find anything on it now. :(

15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    It's not in Windows, cause it shows 4GB at POST as well.

I gave up. I'm running 3.6GHz on the cpu, and my ram is at JEDEC standards for 1200mhz, 8-8-8-19-31 1.5v. 2400 on the uncore, 1.2v. It's tri channel ddr3 so it's not going to be horribly slow.

On the plus side, I was offered a 2600k that can do 4.5 on stock volts and a high end MSI p67 something or other for $230. I am taking the offer, but it will take 2-3 weeks before I can afford to buy it. Once I have it, I will trade off my 920 and rampage 3 to a friend for his 960 and locked down prebuilt motherboard. A bit of a downgrade, but in all honesty I think I could appreciate the simplicity of that, and the simplicity of 2600k overclocking as well.

At that point I will have my main machine with a 2600k at 4GHz running off and on for us (off while gaming, on otherwise) and a stock 960 running for us 24/7. I will also have a 1090t, but unfortunately it will have to be put away for the time being. No room for it here in this apartment, but we are looking into moving into a house eventually, and once we do that I will have that up as well, 24/7.

Chicken Patty and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Nice price on a 2600k combo! :toast: If I saw one for that price I would definitely have to delay my FX-8120 rig for a little while....

17. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I may actually be selling the Core 2 Duo out from under my main computer--but I've found an i7-960 & Asus X58 board for $240 that I'm strongly considering. I'll keep you guys posted with what I end up doing.

EDIT: I also am turning off everything tonight, I'm moving in to college tomorrow and I'll get stuff going again by tomorrow night.

Daimus, Chicken Patty and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Good Luck with college... don't drink too much :laugh:

What's your major?

19. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I don't foresee any issues with drinking...the stuff tastes like kerosene smells :p

Engineering (undecided ATM, perhaps computer engineering) and history :cool:

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Norton

Thanks Received:
    :toast:

If engineering is still like it was when I went to school... back in the Stone Age :laugh: your first two years should be filled with core courses (calculus, physics, chemistry, humanities, etc..) after that you start on your concentration. I went mechanical and ended up in environmental (eventually)

21. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    And you see where it landed him, in the sewer. LOL Sorry man had too. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Norton

Thanks Received:
    No need to LOL on that- check the salaries for top certification operators. You need to get into engineering management to match it. :toast:

23. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I was trying to slip a Honeymooners joke in. LOL

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Norton

Thanks Received:
    OH, I knew that..I just go into salesman mode once in a while. Environmental type jobs are a good career choice! :toast:

25. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Gopal, while I seriously appreciate you're enthusiasm and crazy energy, please try to keep your post on topic, please, please and pretty please?

If you have other requests that have nothing to do with WCG or your computer's efforts, then create a new thread and please do not redirect by posting the link to your thread here.

The TPU Forum is catergorized and for a good reason.

\\:C Peace out

mstenholm, Daimus and (FIH) The Don say thanks.